New Year's Resolution Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: New Year's Resolution Thread 12:00 Aintree: Jonny Delta 1pt win 8/1 Blue Square The ability to the handle the surface could be the key and Jonny Delta ran well first time in a bumper at Ayr. He was not disgraced here in Grade 2 bumper. That looks pretty decent form if he translates that to jumps and while his flat form is below that of some rivals Jonny Delta looks a touch overpriced. 12:55 Sandown: Kentford Grey Lady 1pt win 7/2 Betfred Kentford Grey Lady has to shoulder top weight here, but she is a class act and that may not be enough to stop her. Her form in mares races against the likes of Violin Davis and Quevega reads very even it it flatters her a touch.

Re: New Year's Resolution Thread 2:30 Cheltenham: Unioniste 1pt win 5/1 Unioniste is likely to divide opinion, he is very lightly raced yet has already run to a high standard on the course and looks to have a good chance at the weights (even though he is out of the handicap). He has however only had a handful of chase runs and this is a competitive handicap with plenty of seasoned campaigners in the line up. It may be worth taking a chance as Paul Nicholls thinks Unioniste will handle this test and the four year old does seem more mature. Paul Nicholls also won with another four year old, the heavily backed Ulck Du Lin at Newbury a couple of weeks back. Unioniste will handle the going and Harry Derham is value for his five pound claim. 3:20 Doncaster: Court By Surprise 1pt win 7/1 Bet365 Court By Surprise ran well on his first outing of the season at Fakenham in October. Emma Lavelle on her web site said after that race that Court By Surprise should come on for the outing and if he does then this lightly raced seven year old could go close. Emma Lavelle has a decent record here with her chasers (two from four) albeit that's a small sample. The going and trip look fine for Court By Surprise.

Re: New Year's Resolution Thread 2:55 Lingfield: Leg Iron 1pt win 10/1 Bet Victor Leg Iron may have crept in under the radar here. Its a big ask on heavy ground first time out however Sheena West is extremely capable and Leg Iron could well be ready to go first time. There is not a lot of form to go on under rules, yet that reads pretty well especially the very respectable second to Roalco De Farges at Chepstow. Worth a go at a double figure price.

Re: New Year's Resolution Thread 2:45 Lingfield: Kashmir Peak 1pt win 7/1 Bet365 Kashmir Peak's win last time may be a little under rated. He was quite impressive when opening his account at Market Rasen and with the John Quinn yard going well (Countrywide Flame put up a top class performance) Kashmir Peak's chance could cause a mini upset.

Re: New Year's Resolution Thread 2:00 Ascot: Cucumber Run 1pt win 14/1 Stan James Its interesting that Barry Geraghty has chosen Cucumber Run. Cucumber Run put up a decent effort at Newbury last time. That was the furthest he has raced over and it seemed to bring some improvement. Fair Along rolled back the years there and he had won off a much higher mark in the past. This will be a stiff challenge for Cucumber Run but he might just be a surprise packet here. 2:15 Haydock: Cannington Brook 1pt win 6/1 Coral Cannington Brook has a fair bit going for him here. He handles the going likes the track and stays the trip, This is a little easier than Cannington Brook's last outing here for the Betfair Chase and reunited with Tom O'Brien he looks likley to give a good account. 2:35 Ascot: Wyck Hill 1pt win 8/1 Bet Victor Wyck Hill looks a horse on the up and he could run well despite being out of the handicap. It looked a decent ewffort to beat Fill The Power and presumably connections have decided to take a crack at this decent prize as they feel Wyck Hill can defy this mark. The going and distance should not be a problem. 3:10 Ascot: Cash And Go 1pt win 8/1 Betfred This is highly competitive, yet each year Nicky Henderson seems to find a strong contender. Cash And Go ran well at Cheltenham behind Olofi on his first outing for the yard, and if there is a little more to come he should go close for the Saturday big race trainer and jockey combination.

Re: New Year's Resolution Thread Well done with this thread Steve, think I've nominated you for a few awards this year in the Oscars thing. I've often found us backing the same horses previously and I notice you'll get some decent priced winners, often opposing the favourites. I put Cannington Brook up last time it ran and should have stuck with it today. I deserted it and typically it won. Also noticed you topping the BBOTD for this month. A very underrated punter on this site as far as I'm concerned, best of luck for Boxing Day and the rest of the year. :ok

Re: New Year's Resolution Thread Cheers Phil - that's good of you....yeah we have often latched on to the same ones in the past....I think we both try and swerve some of the shorter one's in the hope of finding a bit of value. Cannington Brook....hmmm that's frustrating when that happens ...in fact its one of the reasons I started and then stopped making a list of horses to follow. I'd follow them for ages and sure enough the first time I let one pass they seemed to win. Thanks again, Steve

Re: New Year's Resolution Thread 2:35 Kempton: Punjabi 1pt win 28/1 Stan James Its eye catching that Nicky Henderson should bring Punjabi back in a Grade One. If Punjabi is close to his old self then the former Champion Hurdler could be in the shake up. Punjabi handles the going and likes the track. Its a big ask, however at the price worth an interest to find out. 3:10 Kempton: The Giant Bolster 1pt e/w 28/1 Sportingbet (1/4 123) The Giant Bolster should give a good account. He comes in to this race with fewer doubts than some of his market rivals. He goes on the ground and will be staying on at the death and has already shown he has heart by fighting back at the end of last season's Gold Cup at Cheltenham. With A P McCoy in the plate, both will be giving their all up the straight, and whoever finishes in front of The Giant Bolster will deserve it.

Re: New Year's Resolution Thread 2:10 Newbury: State Benefit 1pt win 5/1 Stan James & Midnight Haze 1pt win 20/1 Boylesports State Benefit won nicely last time and he is up three pouinds for that (eight effectively as last time his jockey claimed five against other amateurs). However, State Benefit is lightly raced and there could be more scope for improvement. With Barry Geraghty taking over State Benefit should benefit from professional handling and he is quite hopeful of a good run in his blog on the ATR website. Nicky Henderson remains in good form and seems to excel in Saturday televised races. Midnight Haze gets an ease in grade and a little respite from the handicapper so he is now only two pounds higher than his last win. He is also reunited with Jason Maguire who has been in the saddle for three of his five career wins. The trip and going should not be a problem. Kim Bailey has a decent record with his chasers here, (four from ten) and Midnight Haze could go well at a price. 2:45 Newbury: Taquin Du Seuil 1pt win 5/2 William Hill Taquin Du Seuil ran well on the heavy last time at Sandown and with a similar surface here today his ability to handle the going could be key. Jonjo O'Neill also has a decent record in this race picking up the prize three times in the past ten years so he should know what it takes to win this. Taquin Du Seuil won a Grade 2 last time so with a little more improvement he should be effective in this Grade One company. 3:15 Newbury: Any Given Day 1pt win 11/1 Stan James Any Given Day has to shoulder top weight here, however he is perfectly capable of being effective off this sort of mark and does go well fresh. While the eleven stone twelve may seem a welter burden, the flip side is he may just outclass some of his opponents, three of whom are out of the handicap. Donald McCain has his string in fine form and does far better with his hurdlers than chasers at this track.

Re: New Year's Resolution Thread Figures for the year 1st January to the 31st December 2012 Points: Staked 423 Returned 598.95 Profit 175.95 ROI 41.60% Bets: Struck 348 Profitable 53 Strike rate 15.23% Review: Overall very happy with how the year went. The highlight was Follow The Plan winning at 66/1 at Aintree in April and Monterosso winning the World Cup at 25/1 was not far behind. Over the past three years I've concentrated in the big meetings and the TV races and I've got in to a pattern with those. With thanks to Bowles (particularly at Cheltenham) JTW and Racecaller - the trends have been really helpful. I'm concious that I don't contribute to many of the discussions. Usually by the time I log in they are well developed and any views / thoughts I might have, have usually been made (and far better). However I've tried to get involved in the Best Bet of the Day competition more this year and managed to pick up a couple of awards along the way. Figures for the four years of the thread: [TABLE=width: 499]

[TR] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD=align: right]2009[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD=align: right]2010[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD=align: right]2011[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD=align: right]2012[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD] Total[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Points[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Staked[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD=align: right]1656.00[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD=align: right]868.00[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD=align: right]393.00[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD=align: right]423.00[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD=align: right]3340.00[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Returned[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD=align: right]1599.30[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD=align: right]990.07[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD=align: right]527.77[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD=align: right]598.95[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD=align: right]3716.09[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Profit (loss)[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD=align: right]-56.70[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD=align: right]122.07[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD=align: right]134.77[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD=align: right]175.95[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD=align: right]376.09[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]ROI[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD=align: right]-3.42%[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD=align: right]14.06%[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD=align: right]34.29%[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD=align: right]41.60%[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD=align: right]11.26%[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Bets[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Struck[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD=align: right]559.00[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD=align: right]466.00[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD=align: right]314.00[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD=align: right]348.00[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD=align: right]1339.00[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Profitable[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD=align: right]95.00[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD=align: right]85.00[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD=align: right]46.00[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD=align: right]52.00[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD=align: right]226.00[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Strike rate[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD=align: right]16.99%[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD=align: right]18.24%[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD=align: right]14.65%[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD=align: right]14.94%[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD=align: right]16.88%[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]