** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

WSOP 2009 Variant Challenge II - 1st target achieved !!!

So the battle continues .... to (briefly) recap on the end of my first thread. Despite showing a profit of $2.4k, the challenge was considered a failure for 2 reasons. 1) In variant play I was $200 down (bulk of winnings from HE MTT) 2) I did not feel like my game was improving :sad BUT there was some poitives ... at one point I was $600 down and worked that back up playing cash games. One other development is that my planned trip to vegas has turned into a 3 week mega holiday with the missus .... partly due to the fact I have a wedding to attend in Jamaica (yeah mon !) and partly the fact we only get 3 weeks hols in the summer in FIN, so the idea of 2 weeks poker in Vegas was not going down well :lol Dont know why :unsure Some quick guidelines of what I'm doing different Challenge Part 2 Aim 1 - $1500 to buy into the $1500 Omaha Hi/Lo event at WSOP 2009 1) Will start when I've purchased a copy of Omaha Tracker so I can keep track, post stats and get some valuable input on my game (Uber, Valiant and any others I NEED YOU :ok) 2) Mainly play cash games with (following some advice posted on the original thread) the aim each session to double any buy in. Low stakes to begin with. 3) Will target 1 or 2 MTTs a month only, posting details on the the thread before and after. 4) Once I have set it up, will have an easy to view summary on first post so any interested people can follow my progress at a glance 5) Will not be trying to play every day, so should have no trouble posting a summary of each session stats as I get through them. :dude

Re: WSOP Variant Challenge II

Good luck Myrie
Very best of luck mate. :hope
Thanks guys :clap First update on its way. Been getting to grips with this Omaha tracker ..... not sure I know how to get the best out of it yet but its working :ok Near the end of my 2nd session for the day (2nd session full stop !) so will update today or tomorrow. :dude

Hope it goes well for you:hope
Thx Guppie. :ok So, have been playing 6 seat, $.10/$.25 OH HiLo cash tables 2 sessions today, 1 this morning and 1 this evening. Both sessions playing 2 tables at once (some attempt to reduce the boredom factor I suffer from playing cash at times :loon) firststatsrf5.jpg Not too bad to start with, but one stat jumped out at me ..... From the small blind I lost $30 :wall Stands out even more because I read an article this week that said the blinds in Omaha were the worst to play from ..... By contrast my play from button and seat 1 showed a profit of $65 between them. Only 270 hands so far but clearly there is a lesson there about positional play ;) So net profit so far = $55.65

Re: WSOP Variant Challenge II Nice start :ok And thats a real benefit of PokerTracker - to pick up on leaks like your small blind :ok I've spotted something (that I find) really interesting in my PT stats which I'll put a thread up about in strategy later :ok

Thx Guppie. :ok So, have been playing 6 seat, $.10/$.25 OH HiLo cash tables 2 sessions today, 1 this morning and 1 this evening. Both sessions playing 2 tables at once (some attempt to reduce the boredom factor I suffer from playing cash at times :loon) firststatsrf5.jpg Not too bad to start with, but one stat jumped out at me ..... From the small blind I lost $30 :wall Stands out even more because I read an article this week that said the blinds in Omaha were the worst to play from ..... By contrast my play from button and seat 1 showed a profit of $65 between them. Only 270 hands so far but clearly there is a lesson there about positional play ;) So net profit so far = $55.65
nice start drew:ok one thing i would say is although you are losing from the sb it's usually a bad play to fold instead of making up the sb(your usually getting great odds if its not been raised) the trick is to keep the pot small from the blinds unless you hit a wonder flop and push the pot more from late. so i almost never raise from the blinds(except if i get maybe aa23ds or a broadway wrap)but raise a lot from the button etc. heres a really good example of why the sb can be dangerous if you play it wrong;) havent got the hh (cant seem to get boss hh)but i remember it well:sad was omaha pl 50/1 but the principal is still the same in hilo. i'm in the sb and make up the blinds 3 callers +the bb and me. i have xxjq unsuited and the flop comes 8910 with 2 hearts. now you have a big problem ,do you try and protect the nuts against the flush ,fh or over straight or just check. really you should check and hope the pot is kept small or this can happen. on the flop i bet pot $6 and get 2 callers (already the pot is pretty big and its gonna be hard to fold on the turn if a blank comes. the turn does come out a low blank. again i bet pot hoping they have a set or flush draw and they will fold. instead i get raise reraise after me and i have to call really:eek player in the bb has jqk plus a low flush draw and player 2 has jq plus the nut flush draw:wall and yes a heart fell on the river:wall:wall lost about $95 on that one by pushing the pot. if i'da check called chances were i could have kept the pot small enough to not be faced with an all in, or i could have folded .

Re: WSOP Variant Challenge II Thanks everyone for your good luck wishes. :ok Tried to play earlier but got dragged out the house earlier than expected :sad Still, a few extra bucks :clap post2statsrc9.jpg Thanks for the advice Uber ..... I think you hit the nail on the head. I went back through my HHs from the small blind and found I was spewing chips exactly as you described - trying to protect and hand with no improvement possible. Simple when you see it ;)

Re: WSOP Variant Challenge II post3statstj4.jpg w696.png First losing session and only small gains today. To play for over 2 hours and show $6.60 profit was a bit gutting really. At one point I was down $25 but worked that back up so some positive at least ;) Currently playing a $5 + 1 rebuy MTT, result to be posted when I finish. Not usually a rebuy player because I struggle to work out when I should stop :unsure At what point is a rebuy not worth it ? I bought in 5 times and the addon, so $31 :wall In this case rebuy is 3000 chips, addon 4500, think blinds are 15mins. 67 runners, pays 9 If anyone knows the answer would be appreciated. :ok EDIT : 2nd for $230 :) Total profit so far. CASH TABLES = $67.93 MTT / SNG = $199 TOTAL = $266.93

Re: WSOP Variant Challenge II Played quite a bit since monday. Still going well (IMO) but I have hit a few losing sessions where twice I have lost 1 buy in, and this morning I lost 2 buy ins at 1 table. Played 2 x $2 tournies last night and failed to cash. post4statscz9.jpg post4statsbxf7.jpg post4statsczd1.jpg The losing table this morning annoyed me :@ The was a complete idiot playing and I wanted his money. Problem was, there were at least 3 reasonable players at the table and they clearly had the same idea ..... I tried to boss the table, was outdrawn a few times and out bet on a few more hands when I didnt quite catch enough. As it happened the idiot ended up with my chips then shared them amongst the others :ok To be honest, I only have myself to blame - I wasnt comfortable at the table and knew I should have stood up (even before I lost my first buy in) .... there are easier tables that I know I can beat and at least 1 guy on my table had me in a world of trouble :sad Pretty happy so far - 23 sessions and only 4 losing ones More importantly for me I've played 1200 hands now ..... I'm interested in seeing where I stand after 10,000. Total profit so far, Cash Tables = $179.22 MTT / SnG = $194.20 TOTAL = $373.22 :nanaJust over 20% of my target :nana

Re: WSOP Variant Challenge II Day off work today so back for another session. No cash for now, $5 rebuy starting in 10 minutes so will play that :ok :hope A repeat of sunday would be nice !

Re: WSOP 2009 Variant Challenge II

Good luck
Thanks mate :ok 2.5 hours later im hanging in there. 16 left pays 6 and Im somewhere near bottom stack :sad Blinds are 800 / 1600 and I have only 18k ..... have made a couple of moves at this level already and split pots .... oops ... now only 15 and im in 14th :hope

Re: WSOP 2009 Variant Challenge II :@ Not for the first time today, got outdrawn with my chips in ... thought I was a good favourite when he showed his hand :sad ***** Hand History for Game 7438277040 ***** PL Omaha Hi-Lo Trny: 42373881 Level: 11 Blinds(1'000/2'000) - Wednesday, October 08, 09:20:05 ET 2008 Table Rebuy (1536461) Table #1 (Real Money) Seat 5 is the button Total number of players : 7 Seat 1: sroche555 ( 18,780 ) Seat 2: Reg_Reagon ( 29,789 ) Seat 3: kypat111 ( 59,199 ) Seat 4: perple1 ( 81,262 ) Seat 5: goldfarb19 ( 30,752 ) Seat 6: Uk_Finn ( 19,719 ) Seat 8: Wingfinger ( 37,529 ) Trny: 42373881 Level: 11 Blinds(1'000/2'000) ** Dealing down cards ** Dealt to Uk_Finn [ Ad Th Qd Kd ] sroche555 folds Reg_Reagon did not respond in time Reg_Reagon folds kypat111 folds perple1 folds goldfarb19 raises [4,000] Uk_Finn calls [3,000] Wingfinger folds ** Dealing Flop ** [ 7c, Qc, Js ] Uk_Finn bets [10,000] goldfarb19 raises [20,000] Uk_Finn is all-In [5,719] ** Dealing Turn ** [ 8d ] ** Dealing River ** [ Jc ] goldfarb19 shows [ 2s, Td, Jd, 3d ]three of a kind, Jacks. Uk_Finn shows [ Ad, Th, Qd, Kd ]two pairs, Queens and Jacks. goldfarb19 wins 4,281 chips from the side pot 1 with three of a kind, Jacks. goldfarb19 wins 41,438 chips from the main pot with three of a kind, Jacks. There was no qualifying low hand Player Uk_Finn finished in 15. C'est la vie as they say :ok Bought in (grooooan) 7 times so $36 lost for the tourney. Made a little back on some cash during the second hour but still ...... Having some problems with Omaha Tracker at the moment but my rolling balance is. Total Profit = $356.35 :dude

Re: WSOP 2009 Variant Challenge II Tables since yesterdays play. post5statsgv3.jpg Winning as much as Im losing :sad Gonna start posting HH soon on the strategy thread .... 1st one up today. Taking a break from the cash and playing the $2 MTT .... in such a rush to register did not notice it was another damn rebuy :$ Much prefer the freezouts especially at almost freeroll stakes ...... oh well, here goes. BTW - when I get round to it, post 1 will have a summary splitting my MTT/SnG play from my cash games - this way you wont have to read through the posts to see how Im doing :ok

Re: WSOP 2009 Variant Challenge II $8.40 spent on the rebuys + addon - tried to make it an even $10 but damn site would not let me rebuy right before the break :( 107 entrants, 255 rebuys, 42 add-ons 76 left, Pays 1-16 (16th gets $9.43 Blinds 150/300 and I have 7,500 - half the average :) And out in 74th !

Re: WSOP 2009 Variant Challenge II running bad but still treading water isn't so bad,means your doing something right:ok i tended to do that a lot but have a really good week once a month when i was hitting cards. i think its because they play a much bigger part than in nl holdem because bluffs are much less profitable(trickier to push people off in pl+omaha),so cards are more important. but if you play those cards well you can break even in the bad times, but make a good profit when you run good:)

Re: WSOP 2009 Variant Challenge II Hope so :hope I also had the pleasure today of meeting 2 friendly canadians. :nana Canadian No 1 #Game No : 7441457189 ***** Hand History for Game 7441457189 ***** $25 USD PL Omaha Hi-Lo - Thursday, October 09, 11:15:46 ET 2008 Table Table 137435 (No DP) (Real Money) Seat 4 is the button Total number of players : 6 Seat 3: coldshag ( $57.97 USD ) Seat 2: Uk_Finn ( $62.93 USD ) Seat 6: jeffboyd333 ( $7.33 USD ) Seat 4: euvaldo68 ( $12.38 USD ) Seat 1: taggen_61 ( $11.50 USD ) Seat 5: make1968 ( $25 USD ) make1968 posts small blind [$0.10 USD]. jeffboyd333 posts big blind [$0.25 USD]. ** Dealing down cards ** Dealt to Uk_Finn [ Ad 7h 4d 2c ] taggen_61 folds Uk_Finn raises [$0.85 USD] coldshag folds euvaldo68 folds make1968 folds jeffboyd333 calls [$0.60 USD] ** Dealing Flop ** [ Qd, 3d, Qc ] jeffboyd333 checks Uk_Finn bets [$1.25 USD] jeffboyd333 raises [$5.46 USD] Uk_Finn calls [$4.21 USD] ** Dealing Turn ** [ 5d ] jeffboyd333 is all-In [$1.02 USD] Uk_Finn calls [$1.02 USD] ** Dealing River ** [ 9d ] jeffboyd333 shows [ Ac, Jh, Qh, Kh ]three of a kind, Queens. Uk_Finn shows [ Ad, 7h, 4d, 2c ]a flush, Ace high. Uk_Finn wins $14.03 USD from the main pot with a flush, Ace high. There was no qualifying low hand Followed by jeffboyd333: scabby fukking kunt jeffboyd333: suck my dik fish jeffboyd333: how long you been working for party poker stealing the working mans dollar kunt face fin jeffboyd333: every guy in finland is a fukking faggot (over the space of 5 hands while sat out - he then reloaded and sat out then in then out for 30mins without plating a hand ??) Disgusting language :spank

Re: WSOP 2009 Variant Challenge II Friendly Canadian No 2 #Game No : 7441927883 ***** Hand History for Game 7441927883 ***** $25 USD PL Omaha Hi-Lo - Thursday, October 09, 14:03:53 ET 2008 Table Table 126333 (No DP) (Real Money) Seat 10 is the button Total number of players : 10 Seat 6: Uk_Finn ( $22.96 USD ) Seat 4: Helpinen ( $15.88 USD ) Seat 9: AMANDABINNIE ( $38.64 USD ) Seat 5: wh33l3r1972 ( $8.58 USD ) Seat 8: Inzaypoopaa ( $22.60 USD ) Seat 10: MePerraAndI ( $5.60 USD ) Seat 7: daljan ( $0 USD ) Seat 2: Thezze ( $23.65 USD ) Seat 3: theLONO ( $18.20 USD ) Seat 1: wereweasel ( $42.05 USD ) wereweasel posts small blind [$0.10 USD]. Thezze posts big blind [$0.25 USD]. ** Dealing down cards ** Dealt to Uk_Finn [ 4d 5s Ah 3c ] theLONO calls [$0.25 USD] Helpinen folds wh33l3r1972 calls [$0.25 USD] daljan has left the table. Uk_Finn raises [$1.35 USD] Inzaypoopaa folds AMANDABINNIE folds MePerraAndI folds wereweasel folds Razvann has joined the table. Thezze folds theLONO calls [$1.10 USD] wh33l3r1972 folds ** Dealing Flop ** [ Ad, 6c, Ts ] theLONO checks Uk_Finn bets [$3.14 USD] theLONO raises [$12.56 USD] Uk_Finn is all-In [$18.47 USD] theLONO is all-In [$4.29 USD] ** Dealing Turn ** [ Js ] ** Dealing River ** [ 2h ] theLONO shows [ 3d, 9d, 2d, 8s ]a pair of Twos. theLONO shows8,6,3,2,A for low. Uk_Finn shows [ 4d, 5s, Ah, 3c ]a pair of Aces. Uk_Finn shows6,4,3,2,A for low. Uk_Finn wins $2.38 USD from the side pot 1 with a pair of Aces. Uk_Finn wins Lo ($2.38 USD) from the side pot 1 with 6,4,3,2,A. Uk_Finn wins $17.58 USD from the main pot with a pair of Aces. Uk_Finn wins Lo ($17.57 USD) from the main pot with 6,4,3,2,A. Followed by theLONO: u are a complete f ucking moron theLONO: u lucky f ucking f aggot (they clearly like that word in Canada) theLONO: hope u get cancer u f ucking homo Some people should not play poker :ok

Re: WSOP 2009 Variant Challenge II Final post for today ..... dont seem to be winning at much of a rate, but still grinding out a profit.´ post6statsep6.jpg This is my first session of 3 hours - interesting facts for week 1 1) I've shown a profit on every table playing over 50 hands (11) 2) In total have shown a profit in 23 out of 31 tables 2) Q 7 5 2 is the hand I've seen most (7 times out of over 1700 hands ... not a lot :loon) and I've not won a hand with it .... SURPRISE !! 3) SB still remains my weak position, net profit -$61 although its not as bad as i thought, $36 of that was the mandatory blind ;) So end of week 1, broke the $400 barrier :nana:nana Not sure I can repeat this every week as it included a good MTT cash, but I'm playing a reasonable cash game so every reason to be happy. Earned a deposit bonus as well so including that - the bankroll is all profit so everything counts towards my target :ok Total Profit = $417,62 Cash Tables = $251,91 (over 1700 hands) MTT / SnG = $149,80 (ROI 187%) Site Bonus = $15,91 :dude

Re: WSOP 2009 Variant Challenge II - 27.8% of way towards 1st target Update time :clap I've now played just under 3000 hands and taken a slight step backwards. Sessions have felt like hard work but I have made some important discoveries. Rather than post all the individual session details, I'll post some selected info from week 2. week2summary1li1.jpg Clearly I will be sticking to short handed tables for the time being :ok If anyone knows what the other stats mean (last 4 columns) would appreciate it ! Paying a lot more attention to position and trying to keep pots small when in SB ....... week2summary2dz0.jpg .... hmmmm, still some work to do there. Went on massive tilt one during one losing evening and signed up for a $22 tourney I really did not care about ..... big waste of money :sad On the positive side - I've played nearly 3000 hands and showing a profit .... can't be doing too bad. :cow Can anyone tell me what I good number of BB per 100 hands is ? As I work my way towards target 1, week 2 was a minor hiccup - probably not the last - but hopefully can get back on the right track over the next few weeks. Will try to post some more HH in the strategy section so you can help with my game play :ok (Sorry I take so long to update the hand Uber ..... ) Cash Profit = $222.30 MTT / SnG = $134.17 Site Bonus = $15.91 Total = $372.38

Re: WSOP 2009 Variant Challenge II - 24.8% of way towards 1st target A good BB/100? Anything over zero :tongue2 Seats 4-7 you made a profit - so your losses at full ring have come in the blinds/Button or next 3 seats - I think you should be able to filter to show just your 6 max if thats what you want to look at. Last 4 numbers in your first table: VP$IP (Voluntarily put money into the pot) - this is an indicator of how loose/tight you are playing. It's one of the key indicators to look at (for you and opponents) - The other key indicator is PFR (Pre Flop Raises) - which is a measure of how aggressive/passive you are. Average Pot is I presume reasonably self explanatory - I guess it's the average pot size for all hands where you were dealt cards AP - Average number of players dealt cards ASF - Average number of players seeing the flop (presumably as a percentage)

Re: WSOP 2009 Variant Challenge II - 24.8% of way towards 1st target If I thought things had started to get a bit tough, Week 3 definitely taught me a few lessons :loon Last week, I finally realised the importance of having a bankroll suitable for your level. Every loss of 1 buy-in has a big impact as I am only playing from my winnings (I can easily re-deposit but not intending to :ok). So, I discussed this with Warbirds having felt enlightened .... I know I am not properly bankrolled for 0.10/0.25 stakes, but these are the lowest tables on the site and I am comfortable on them. Until I have a balance of 100 buy-ins for the next level I have no intention of moving up ...... This week I went against everything my enlightenment taught me :@ 1800 hands in week 3 0.10 / 0.25 = 888 hands -$140.02 0.25 / 0.50 = 359 hands +$65.66 0.50 / 1.00 = 300 hands +$175.45 2.00 / 4.00 = 259 hands -$143.32 A roller coaster ride to say the least :( Started with my struggles at the lower level .... I was having tough time after tough time and getting very frustrated. Not the best time to step up the levels, but I convinced myself a change of opponent would "freshen me up" .... the end result wasn't as bad as it could have been, but looking at my graph tracking my profit, the reality scared me a little. Up to this point progress had been steady (if a bit slow), but heading in the right direction. During this week's madness I nearly lost the lot and consider myslf lucky to come out the other side :\ Big lesson :ok If I'm serious about stepping up, I gotta do it the right way .... So, small loss on the cash tables for the week propped up by an overall small profit in MTT / SnG. This included a 2nd in a $2 rebuy for $89.40 :clap, but hit by not cashing in a few 5, 10 and 20 $ MTTs :sad If not for the bonuses I earnt would not have made the small gains to leave myself slightly up for the week. Running totals after 3 weeks; Cash Profit = $219.20 MTT / SnG = $155.59 Bonuses = $67.73 Total Profit = $442.52 :drums

Re: WSOP 2009 Variant Challenge II - 24.8% of way towards 1st target On a different point, no´w that I am playing a lot more cash (and using Omaha Tracker :ok) I am starting to realise the impact of rake :loon Considering switching sites next month to one where I get rakeback. Haven't found any sign of rakeback being offered on Party Poker (but if anyone knows different let me know). Favourite at the moment is Paradise as that is the only one I remember having rakeback on :lol Boss also have tables with lower blind levels, but on the down side no Omaha8 tourneys. Any suggestions ?? :unsure