** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Bad play / unlucky ?

Mr Intensity

If you think this is really bad please not much abuse:lol Playing a 'double your money' on Crypto - 6 players so 3 paid. I'd been way down to 200 chips and got back up to close to 2000. Blinds were getting big so I was struggling a bit. Here's the twist - Henkers had been sitting out for about 5 minutes. I can't remember his exact stack, but it was slightly more than mine, perhaps 1100 before positing the blind. The two big stacks had been shoving every hand. So I get JJ and big stack shoves. The way I see it - with my stack I can't shove against them so if I fold this them I'm folding every hand. If I fold every hand and Henkers doesn't come back then he'll have an all in at some stage with a random hand against a random hand from one of the big stacks. By this point I'll have very few chips and will also have to win a random hand. In this spot I'm fairly certain I'm ahead. After the hand I got quite a bit of abuse from Podgurc. Game #6401263093: Double Your Money£20 (ID7888971) £20+£2 - Hold'em NL (200/400) - 2008/08/10 - 20:56:33 (UK) Table "7888971 - 1" Seat 1 is the button. Seat 1: Mr_i821 (908 in chips) Seat 2: Podgurc (2920 in chips) Seat 3: Henkers sits out Seat 5: Obvious247 (4167 in chips) Podgurc: posts small blind 200 Henkers: posts big blind 400 ----- HOLE CARDS ----- dealt to Mr_i821 [Jh Jc] Obvious247: raises to 4167 and is all-in Mr_i821: is all-in 908 Podgurc: folds Henkers: folds Returned uncalled bets 3,259 to Obvious247 ----- FLOP ----- [4h 3d 6d] ----- TURN ----- [4h 3d 6d][8d] ----- RIVER ----- [4h 3d 6d 8d][Tc] ----- SHOW DOWN ----- Obvious247: shows [3c Ts] (Two Pairs, Tens and Threes, Eight high) Mr_i821: shows [Jh Jc] (A Pair of Jacks, Ten high) Obvious247 collected 2416 from Main pot ----- SUMMARY ----- Total pot 2416 Main pot 2416 Rake 0 Board [4h 3d 6d 8d Tc] Seat 1: Mr_i821 (button) showed [Jh Jc] and lost with A Pair of Jacks, Ten high Seat 2: Podgurc (small blind) folded before Flop (didn't bet) Seat 3: Henkers (big blind) folded before Flop (didn't bet) Seat 5: Obvious247 showed [3c Ts] and won (2416) with Two Pairs, Tens and Threes, Eight high I was unlucky in the hand but I thought I made the right decision:unsure

Re: Bad play / unlucky ? It was the right decision. You have 6 hands before you're blinded down to being all in. Henkers has 5 hands. That is assuming that blinds don't go up. However there is a chance that they will go up and if they do you could find yourself being blinded out before Henkers! Are you going to get something better than JJ in the next 6 hands? Probably not - therefore you made the right move. Ignore the abuse, it's not worth it.

Re: Bad play / unlucky ? I don't have much experience in these tournys, none in fact but I'm liking it to a sat situation. I passed JJ on the bubble in a sat yesterday as the big stack was on the bb and would've called. At this time in the sat, when lying about 6th away from the bottom stack it is wrong to take even a 75/25 in your favour. There is no point. Your situation is slightly different, and it's hurting my head thinking about it. If I'm honest, I fold. You're calling the all in and with a player sitting out I don't really want to call a hand even if I'm fav. Betting the all in would've been 100% fine though. Obviously you'd be hoping the sitter out stays disconnected. Your play isn't wrong - and you were sickly unlucky. But if you had a round in you (not sure about the structure or his stack size) then I probably would've foled and let Henkers get blinded off. One of those where there are arguments for both plays. You just got unlucky.

Re: Bad play / unlucky ? The way I saw it at the time, one of the big stacks would have called any all in by me - making the difference between raising and calling quite small. I think the same would have happened a little earlier when I had ~1300 chips so I think it was a tough situation where I had to play the cards (or fold everything). Decided I don't like these tourneys anymore:lol:lol

Re: Bad play / unlucky ? You bloody great donkey!!! :loon What the hell are you doing playing yourself out of the money???:loon For God's sake when are you going to learn???:wall Just thought I'd balance it up a bit...because I really knew that you wanted a bit of abuse!:tongue2 Real response... You are determined to double your entry stake and just need to hang on...it's a fold then. {Often when this situation arises you will get a little help from the two others by them not contesting your BB too, to allow you to cash rather than a sitout.}

Re: Bad play / unlucky ? u remember when the blinds are going up? i think that would effect my choice on what to do. if it looks like the blinds it will stay at 200/400 till his next blinds then i would fold and push on his next sb:ok by then you should be around 300 chips and him on 100(as long as he stays sat out)the other two should flat call and check it down:hope you should have him covered and the other two should flat call thatll give you a great chance of cashing ,as long as he doesnt win the 4 way u cash:)

Re: Bad play / unlucky ? Yeah uber I said above, 10 hands till the blinds go up:ok Good point about waiting for him to be all in and me with more chips. Didn't think of that in the moment. But still with random hands he's 25% to win a 4 way, and with the JJ I'd say my chances of cashing are pretty similar (very unlikely I'm up against 2 overcards or an overpair).

Re: Bad play / unlucky ?

Yeah uber I said above, 10 hands till the blinds go up:ok Good point about waiting for him to be all in and me with more chips. Didn't think of that in the moment. But still with random hands he's 25% to win a 4 way, and with the JJ I'd say my chances of cashing are pretty similar (very unlikely I'm up against 2 overcards or an overpair).
ah didnt see that:tongue2 yeah i spose the odds are around similar,didnt think your call was a bad play btw and you did get v unlucky:wall. i might well have done the same ,neither play is bad and i can't see why the other guys cussing you down for it.

Re: Bad play / unlucky ? A guy who calls for half his stack with king high asking for advice on pkt Jacks. well I dont know. Think the fact that the other 2 might have left you alone once you were down to just a wee bit more than a BB would sway me to fold.

Re: Bad play / unlucky ?

Well he did call me a 'lucky cnut' a few hands earlier which I assume was because the other guy was sitting out and he thought I was guaranteed to cash:eyes.
Mr I. I thought that sit outs folded when they were all in on Crypto. Am I wrong? :unsure