Golf: The Open , 2008

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Golf: The Open , 2008 ive been looking at people who have decent accuracy and GIR, I know nothing of the course other than what i have read. I have come up with the following short list, some big prices and some small

Zach Johnson 220 ?
Nick O'Hern 150 ?
Jay Williamson 820 ?
Woody Austin 260 ?
Scott Verplank 180 ?
Ian POULTER 100 ?
Hunter Mahan 50 y
Bart Bryant 330 y
Jim Furyk 26 y
Steve WEBSTER 730 y
The y's are ones i will definately back in some shape or form. The ? are ones i need to look at more closely (so any advice would be greatly appreciated). The numbers are betfair available to back prices, so the final price could well be bigger or smaller.

Re: Golf: The Open , 2008

ive been looking at people who have decent accuracy and GIR, I know nothing of the course other than what i have read. I have come up with the following short list, some big prices and some small
Zach Johnson 220?
Nick O'Hern 150?
Jay Williamson 820?
Woody Austin 260?
Scott Verplank 180?
Ian POULTER 100?
Hunter Mahan 50y
Bart Bryant 330y
Jim Furyk 26y
Steve WEBSTER 730y
The y's are ones i will definately back in some shape or form. The ? are ones i need to look at more closely (so any advice would be greatly appreciated). The numbers are betfair available to back prices, so the final price could well be bigger or smaller.
Nick O'Hern is a player I quite like, I know he's been practising there for quite a while and I've backed him for a top ten finish. there's little point being straight off the tee if you can't then get it in the hole but he's decent around the greens. Woody Austin is a bit of a nutter with a (self confessed) tendency to fall apart when the pressure is on but has two top 10 finishes in his last two starts in the US. Zach Johnson is definately interesting at those prices, he's had a poor season though with a best finish of 20th. Looking at the stats it seems to be entirely down to his short game, he's gone from being high in the putting and scrambling stats to near the bottom of both. You'd have to figure it'll come right sooner or later though.

Re: Golf: The Open , 2008 As Dougal said, Woody Austin is a self confessed nutter. Also, he turned down the chance of competing in the Open last year as he felt he couldn't compete. What has made the difference this year? I can only think it's because it's Ryder Cup year and he stands to make that due to his form on the US Tour. Nick O'Hern looks to be a decent bet with recent good form on the US Tour. Another who I like the look of is Rodney Pampling who has also played well of late. Aussies are usually said to be good players in the wind and Pampling 's Open stats are ok with a couple of top 30s in the past 3 years, and a 35th place. I bet on the spreads so am buying Perez and Holmes (finishing positions) as they aren't the most accurate but are 'bombers' and with only two par 5's I don't think they'll figure.

Re: Golf: The Open , 2008 I had Pampling on my longlist as well and I see that Peter Thompson has tipped him. My only reservation would be that his clubs never arrived on his flight from the US. I know on Monday he had to walk the course with just a sand wedge while he was having new clubs made, don't know if his old ones ever turned up. Decided not to back him after reading about his clubs

Re: Golf: The Open , 2008 Having said I don't like anyone under 20/1 I've convinced myself I like Els :lol. He's one of 3 I'm going with. I know I should really go with the Irish firms or Sportingbet but I've staked variably to ensure a profit should one of them make the top 5 and Ladbrokes prices are easily better than the rest on these. 3pts ew E.Els to win The Open 16/1 Ladbrokes (1/4 1,2,3,4,5) Ernie Els has a phenomenal record in this event and he's a really good player when the wind gets up, which is predicted for the 1st 2-3 days of this event. Els has been in the top 5 in 6 of the last 8 years at this event which is a truly amazing record. He comes into this event off the back of a decent US Open where he was right in the mix on the Sunday. He was tied for 9th after a really solid week at Loch Lomond last week and is coming into this event with his game just starting to peak. With no Woods, the Big Easy is a huge runner this week and is my strongest bet of the tournament. 2pts ew J.Furyk to win The Open 25/1 Ladbrokes (1/4 1,2,3,4,5) Jim Furyk is a real solid player. He's as straight as a die from tee to green which is imperative on this golf course and he putts fairly well. This course isn't the longest of Open courses and that will suit the weird swinged American. By his own seriously high standards Furyk's record in this event isn't great but a 4th and a T12 in the last two years is progress and on a course which should suit him I think Furyk is well worth a solid each way bet. 1pt ew M.Jimenez to win The Open 33/1 Ladbrokes (1/4 1,2,3,4,5) Everyone is talking up Lee Westwood's chances in this event based on his US Open but it seems people have forgotten that Jimenez had a good US Open too and he appears to be playing some of his best golf at the minute. I love Miguel on the golf course. He's always jovial and plays his golf without fuss and should he be right in the mix on Sunday those attributes will help him. He's hitting the ball as well as he's ever done and had a great warm up for this event with his tied 3rd in Scotland last week. He's won twice on the European Tour this season including the main event, the PGA Championship and has been in the top 10 of both the years majors thus far. Jimenez is a real challenger this week and is another worth backing each way.

Any reasoning on Immelmen at all.Current Masters champ and 66/1?
Immelman's quoted on the Beeb website as saying this is the toughest Open course he's played Sharpie. Given he's only broke the top 40 once in five tries, that doesn't bode well :ok

ive been looking at people who have decent accuracy and GIR, I know nothing of the course other than what i have read. I have come up with the following short list, some big prices and some small
Zach Johnson 220 ?
Nick O'Hern 150 ?
Jay Williamson 820 ?
Woody Austin 260 ?
Scott Verplank 180 ?
Ian POULTER 100 ?
Hunter Mahan 50 y
Bart Bryant 330 y
Jim Furyk 26 y
Steve WEBSTER 730 y
Here Goes! Zach Johnson- He hits the ball left to right in almost every shot,will need more tools in the bag this week! O,Hern- I will be watching this guy closely on day one,if he holds it together and the price is value I will back him,Phenomenal putter on fast greens! Jay Williamson- Since those Clowns at SkySports sold the PGA rights to Setanta I cannot Add comment for this guy,do not know much about him! Woody Austin-He has the heart of a Lion,can putt under pressure and is an Adrenaline Junkie,with all that said he has been known to snap the odd putter in anger! I think he will be out his depth here and might miss the cut! Verplank- I always thought he would bag the odd Major,but is nearing his Seniors debut where his best chances may lay ahead! Poulter- The Guy lands himself in so much crap due to his overinflated ego,if he shut his mouth,toned down his strides,and started paying the game more respect he might fare better,as for ability streaky performer but the two Shanks"Golf Speak for the ball squirting at a right angle to the right of the player" in the Masters 08 from downhill Lies is proof enough he lacks at the Top Level! At best back to make the cut! I hope I don,t put you off or put you on to a loser,these are my honest appraisals and O,Hern to be Top Aussie is a Real One to consider! Good Luck Mate!

Any reasoning on Immelmen at all.Current Masters champ and 66/1?
Was amazed at His Masters Triumph 08,he showed composure,great driving skills and great putting bar Sunday where nerves kicked in.What made it even more amazing was that he had just returned from surgery to remove a tumour from his rib cage. He also served his apprenticeship on the EuropeanTour,so will handle the conditions and the South Africans love it when the wind kicks up! I backed him in the Masters at 8/1 going into Saturday and if he held a Good lead in this I would do the same,but happier to watch until he hits leaderboard! Good Luck!

Re: Golf: The Open , 2008 how has no1 tipped graeme Macdowell, he has been playing wonderful golf of late and at 35/1 with Stan James he looks a decent chance. My other bets will be Stricker at 80/1 e/w. Good solid player hasn't yet to prove his worth on a Links course , price suggests this. But has played some solid golf in the last few majors. Finally this is the TIP EVERYONE SHOULD FOLLOW! PETER APPLEYARD TO WIN AT 1500/1!!!. he is either a 10 year old kid or is blind to have a price like that! Good Luck gents.

Re: Golf: The Open , 2008 Had a bit on the following; P.Casey Top UK/Ire 12/1 I.Poulter Top UK/Ire 14/1 Both play the top tournaments fairly well and represent decent value here. Prices at BF. Also backed Peter Hanson to be top Nordic player at 16/1, cant believe he his twice the price of players like Jacobsen and Soren Hansen. Done Zach Johnson at 38.0 to be top USA player, massive price for a major winner in my opinion, saver on Mickelson at 7.8, too good to be that price surely. I see Harrington has gone out to 70/1 because of his wrist, bound to shorten if he comes through the first few holes ok i would have thought? Good luck guys, plenty of bets in here, must have the winner somewhere!!

Re: Golf: The Open , 2008 My main bet has been Ernie Els to beat Mickelson over 72 holes at 5/6. Some may think it is crazy to back an odds on with some of the massive prices available. I just don't think Mickelson is good at The Open Championships. Mickelson made his debut as an amateur at The Open in 1991 at Birkside, before returning as a pro in 1994, playing every year since, while Els has played at everyone since 1992. The main fact that the 5/6 (which is now 8/11 on betfair) is over the 14 years that both Mickelson and Els have played at The Open, Mickelson has NEVER come ahead of Els. Els has an excellent record at The Open Championships with seven top ten positions, including a victory in 2002, and never missed the cut wheras Mickelson has missed the cut 3/14 and only troubled the leaders once when coming 3rd in 2004 (Els came 2nd). Below is the summary of the overall positions/ shots between the two:- 1991- Mickelson as amateur, no Els 1992- Els tied 5th, no Mickelson 1993- Els tied 5th, no Mickelson 1994- Mickelson missed cut 1995- Els 5 shots ahead of Mickelson 1996- Els 3rd overall, 11 shots ahead 1997- Els 2 shots ahead of Mickelson 1998- Els 16 shots ahead of Mickelson (AT BIRKSIDE) 1999- Mickelson missed cut 2000- Els 4 shots ahead of Mickelson 2001- Els 7 shots ahead of Mickelson 2002- Els won overall, 12 shots ahead of Mickelson 2003- Els 7 shots ahead of Mickelson 2004- Els 2nd overall, Mickelson 3rd overall, 1 shot ahead 2005- Els 3 shots ahead of Mickelson 2006- Els 3rd overall, 8 shots ahead of Mickelson 2007- Els 4th overall, Mickelson missed cut I have also backed Els to win outright (18), top 5 and top 10 all on betfair. Can't remember the exact prices of them all at the moment. Other bets that i have taken are: winning nationaliy - U.S. at 5/2 with Coral as 10/13 Open championships have been won by an American, with a saver bet on Spanish winner at 8/1 as i like Garcia and Jimenez and feel they could be a big danger to the leaders on the Sunday. A double over 72 holes on Garcia to beat Mickelson and Westwood to beat Anthony Kim. I think both Garcia and Westwood will be suited to the course at The Open and could be amongst the leaders while Mickelson tends to struggle and apparently Kim has struggled in some of the practice to adapt to the course. odds - 2.4/1 with Coral. Also had a small interest bet on Saxton 7/2 to be top amateur.

Re: Golf: The Open , 2008 Well I don't claim to be a golf expert but a friend of mine does very well so I asked his thoughts and here are my bets. Justin Leonard 66/1 Boo Weekly 100/1 On the spread I have bought Geoff Ogilbys finishing position at 40 with no maximum finishing position. Also bought Mickleson at 31 with maximum make up of 70 And sold Jimenez at 34 again with a maximum of 70 So good luck everyone!

leader after round one is often just a lottery and i never bet big amounts on this i have decided to have a bit of fun on this one and put just 50p on a 200/1 shot' date=' but what a shot! Greg Norman, the Great White Shark, he may not have the stamina or game to win over four days now, but he has the length of any of the rest of the field, far more experience on links than 90% of them and remember it's been ten years since they were last at birkdale a good number of the players have not played there in tournamnet conditions, ex open winner and Aussie, they have good record there 200/1 EW is definately worth a small punt as a fun bet.[/quote'] Well, looking decent so far had Greggy, EW for first five anyone else take my advice and have him, so close to a 200/1 shot coming in, would be great to have watched Mr Stanley James pay up the full whack.

Re: Golf: The Open , 2008 That's good going Mr Intensity. Even your +7 bets might beat the cut at this rate. It'll be interesting to see what the cut comes in at. My bets were on the spreads (finishing bets), as I bought Perez at 50 and JB Holmes at 54, i.e. to finish outside the top 50 and 54 respectively. Both are not doing well, which is good for this bet. Goosen to beat Harrington tomorrow is my next bet. Surely, the Harrington injury will come into play at some point. Probably jinxed it now..

Anthony Wall, 1st round leader, e/w (5places) 225/1 @bet365 Speculative fun bet this, Wall was 2nd after the first round in 2006 and is in decent nick after T19 in Scotland. Has a very late start time and there always seems to be one late starter tearing up the course as the bbc end their coverage, if nothing else it'll give me a straw to clutch at for most of the first day!
Bah! Wall finished +1 and T7, two shots off the lead and missed placing at very nice odds by a shot. :wall

Well' date=' looking decent so far had Greggy, EW for first five anyone else take my advice and have him, so close to a 200/1 shot coming in, would be great to have watched Mr Stanley James pay up the full whack.[/quote'] Hard Luck Mate,good call very nearly came off!It would be great to see him come up the stretch with a chance come Sunday!:clap

Re: Golf: The Open , 2008 I will bet Sergio Garcia on the first day,but I will pick my moment due to the Revolutionary Bet In Play system that for so long Technology "And The Badman" deprived us of! I am sure The Brilliance of Garcia will come through at last but he "like the rest of the Field will be fighting Par",thus giving us a more realistic price than 9/1-11/1.He will put himself in some strange spots and give us the chance to pick our price! Guys! I have pasted this text from earlier post from myself,unable to back Garcia "In-Play",due to kids but I am happy to grab the 8/1 on offer due to Els,Mickelson and other notables effectively out of the Equation! Can anyone tell me the "TOP PRICE" Garcia reached today? I would have guessed maybe 14,s!