** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Anybody play 2-7 Triple Draw?

slapdash

From the very early stages of the WSOP 2-7 Triple Draw event, that has just started:

A player just picked up 7-5-4-3-2 after the first draw. Not bad, except all were spades. He discarded the 7 and drew one card. Got a 6. Ouch. Straights, like flushes, count against you here. He tried again, picked up a second 5, and lost to a Q.
I've never played this, but I just wondered if there's a case for him discarding the 5 instead of the 7 from the spade flush, precisely because of the danger of getting a straight? (Or discarding the 5 instead of the 6 on the last draw, to avoid redrawing a flush?)

Re: Anybody play 2-7 Triple Draw? yeah i would say thats a very sound arguement :ok i play a bit but not much:) it does look like a better play, after all any low card bar an 8 will straight or pair you if you keep the 5 . 7 high with 1 discard is still very strong and a safer bet.

Re: Anybody play 2-7 Triple Draw? Drifting from strategy, but since I've started this thread already ...

There is a player on Blue #4 who has been causing quite a scene through the first two levels of the tournament. He has already received two penalties, one for stalling and one for swearing. He is drinking Guinness and doesn't seem to have a strong grasp on his surroundings or the nuances of 2-7 Triple Draw. Recently, he tangled with late arrival Tony "G" Guoga. The pot was raised before the draw. He drew two on the first draw, while Tony G stood pat. He checked, then called after Tony G bet. Both players stood pat after the second draw. Again Tony G bet when the action was checked to him. This time, his opponent tried to move all in. Obviously, this is a limit game, and bet sizes are fixed. The player was not allowed to put all of his chips in the middle. "This is absurd," he said, drawing laughs from the rest of the table. Both players stood pat again on the third draw. At this point, Tony G's opponent showed a neighbor his hand, then checked and called when Tony G bet. Tony G showed the second nuts, 7-6-4-3-2. His opponent turned over Q-Q-T-T-9 for two pair. After the hand was completed, Tony G's opponent was given a two-round penalty for exposing his cards to another player while the hand was still in progress.
:rollin I take it he didn't play the hand to best effect? :unsure

Re: Anybody play 2-7 Triple Draw? Oh well ...

Our player from before -- the Guinness drinker who had stood pat and called down with Q-Q-T-T-9 -- has been eliminated. In his last hand, he apparently held onto two aces, discarding the other three cards. (Aces are high here.) "Rebuy!" he said, holding up two one-dollar bills, on losing the last of his chips. Looks like he found the exit okay.

Re: Anybody play 2-7 Triple Draw?

Marcel Luske just check-called a bet after the third draw and showed a six-high straight. His opponent also had a six-high straight, and they chopped.
:unsure Either that's one hell of a read or else it looks as though just knowing the rules might be enough to be above average. [Time to move this from Strategy to Poker Chat, I think.]

Re: Anybody play 2-7 Triple Draw? Quote:

Marcel Luske just check-called a bet after the third draw and showed a six-high straight. His opponent also had a six-high straight, and they chopped.
:unsure Either that's one hell of a read or else it looks as though just knowing the rules might be enough to be above average. Limit game- sometimes its worth calling a sigle bet on the river to find out what your opponent needs to have to be betting. Luske now knows! ( plus it makes you look stupid to less experienced players, always an advantage). Sure theres a line about " if after the first 20 mins at a table you havent spotted the sucker then the suckers you" Usual piece of glceud reverse psychology, well worth wasting a few chips to convince every one else its you. ( cheaper way to do it is post crap on a forum no one else agrees with) Better move it to the "super advanced strategy section" Other guys hilarious, wish i had a spare couple of grand to do something like that

Re: Anybody play 2-7 Triple Draw? wonder what tony g said :loon:lol it is suprising but you do some super rich fish out in vegas, happy to fritter away large wads of cash on anything even if they don't have the slightest idea what they are doing:eek i spose if you have millions a few g is pocket change:\.