Goodwood 21/05/08

Re: Goodwood 21/05/08 2.15 The Witch Doctor has been well backed this morning and should be involved, coming from a top yard and with form on firm ground. He's untried beyond a mile though so at the price I'm looking elsewhere. On the morning line on Saturday I remember them mentioning Alan Ball and that some of the races today were named after him. I also remember them mentioning that Mick Channon was one of his pals and so he was sending a few runners to this meeting. So for that, obscure reason, I'm going to take a chance on the rank outsider, Tamara Moon, a 40/1 (Sporting Bet) shot (EW) as it would be quite fitting if she won. To be fair, she isn't a complete donkey as the odds may suggest. She won at Catterick (7f) and Bath (8f) on firm ground last year and the yard obviously thought something of her to enter her in a listed race at Newbury shortly after. She finished last and ended the campaign with another disappointing effort at Kempton. She weakened in the closing stages on her reappearance in March to suggest that being upped in trip here may not be in her favour. But under the circumstance and at the price I'm taking a small each-way chance now she's dropped in class. 4.00 Celtic Slipper has been holding her own in ground company and has a top class jockey on board today with Ryan Moore taking the ride. She handles the ground and, contesting a listed here at 7/2, isn't a bad price. However, Jazz Jam makes some each way appeal at 8/1 (widely available). Paul Cole's filly won a listed race at Kempton when last seen and has proven ability on firm ground before too.

Re: Goodwood 21/05/08 2.50 GOODWOOD - CITY LEADER Was dissapointing in the Craven last month but excuses were made over the trip. All the right noises are coming from the stable, after horse was reported to be coughing after lto. Won a froup 2 as a 2yo, & was 2nd in the RP trophy. The longer trip should suit here, Horse has by far the best form on offer here, & as long as problems are resolved, should be able to win this. Stable remains in good form & Spencer is capable ... ish :lol 7/2 Bluesquare - Win

Re: Goodwood 21/05/08 5.45 Goodwood: Murrin Encouraging run first time back this year over 8f on the all-weather at Lingfield when 2nd of 7. Followed up with decent run next time out over 8f at Ascot on ground that appears softer than ideal (all form has been on sound surface). Running from same mark as both of those efforts and only 1lb higher than C&D win from June last year. Better ground a positive today and eyecatching jockey booking in Jamie Spencer - looks the one to beat. WIN (9/2 widely available) :hope

Re: Goodwood 21/05/08 2.15 Mujaadel 7.5 pts e.w 9/1 wh At times last season looked decent, nice run behind rio de la plata and won with ease when 1/3 at ling. Run on first start of this season was also fairly encouraging for the season, never really in the race but did stay on towards the finish with a degree of promise. Stepped up in trip today a bit and that should suit on basis of its last run, definite place chances at the least. 2.50 Savarain 7.5 pts e.w 17/4 spo Only 2 places so a win bet is probably the better option but playing it safe so to speak. I just feel this is the improver in the line up and im not sure if the formline of Centennial's race at san is that strong which knocks the favs chances and the fourth potentially. Showed promise in two maidens last seasons before behaving poorly prior to hq defeat, then put that behind with a good win lto and showed improvement in doing so. Clearly the increased trip is helping and should again today and his very wily trainer clearly feels he is good enough for pattern company.

Re: Goodwood 21/05/08 5.45 Goodwood I'm sticking with horses I've selected already this season here. Emperor Court ran well LTO at Windsor when carrying my money and has been very consistent since I started following him at the turn of the year. Stable are in form and although Ryan Moore misses the mount in favour of Sandown and Drowne takes the mount (not my fav jockey), he is 1/1 on this horse. He is also 2/6 for the yard over the past two seasons. 5lb higher and I think there are definitely more races in him as I think he'll be better on turf. However I feel there will be better opportunities to get stuck into him as he is far from sure to enjoy the drop down to a mile. Northern Spy ran a cracker for me LTO at 29 (14/1 sp) and I stated then that ground is key for this horse. His fast ground form is far superior to his soft ground form and he must surely find a race soon. Stable form is a concern and has drifted a fair bit on betfair. Will probably have to find a less competitive affair before he wins but is a big price again. I backed Murrin on both his starts this season. He ran well on his seasonal debut at Lingfield, the formline reads "not quicken" - which is correct. However that was because he wasn't given the best ride my Jim Crowley as he decided to challenge up the inner inside the last which is a huge disadvantage. I believe he would've won that Lingfield race had the race/or him been run differently. I had a small saver on him NTO as I made Bankable a good bet and was worried about the soft ground. He ran a cracker to come from off the pace to finish 6th, the race is working out ok as expected. The main worry would be he is often slowly away and sometimes takes a while to get going, I'm hoping Jamie doesn't have one of his 'too much to do' days. It is arguable that he may do well over 10f. I'm hoping there is a fair pace here. Formax is sure to be fancied on the basis of his last run. He was extremely flattered that day, and bar the favourite they were an average lot. Not badly handicapped on bits of other form though although I'm not sure he is 100% genuine. Not out of it obviously but I think he is a little underpriced. A tricky little affair but I'm convinced my three will have won a race each at least come the summer. Murrin 50% of stake 5.2 betfair Emperor Court 30% of stake 5.3 betfair Northern Spy 15% of stake 17 betfair Murrin/Emperor Court/Nothern Spy £16.50 F/C Comb £10.65 T/C Comb Murrin/Emperor Court/Nothern Spy/Formax £1.50 T/C Comb (24 bets)