Top Scorer

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Top Scorer My main bet is on Miroslav Klose (11/1 SJ) but I'll be putting few quid on Lucas Podolski (25/1 Blue Sq) too. After scoring 42 goals in 48 games for Man Urd and finishing Portugal's top scorer in qualifying with 8 goals my initial thought was Ronaldo. However, I don't think it will be easy to score against either the Czechs or the Swiss (they didn't concede a goal from open play in the World Cup) although admittedly Turkey do look weak at the back. For me, Germany look the best team attacking wise in the tournament. They're full of goals and with Austria and Poland in their group one of their strikers could easily get 3 by the end of the group stage. Remember, 5 goals has been enough to win the golden boot in all of the last three tournaments. I fancy Germany to go all the way so feel their strikers could add a few more to their totals to win the award. Luca Toni is a top player but the Dutch and French have good defences and with the negative tactics of the Italians I'm happy to leave that one alone. Torres has had a great season and Villa scored well in the qualifiers, but Greece and Russia have good defences, remember that in qualifying Russia conceded something like one goal in their first 9 games. They are obviously up against better opposition here, but I don't fancy them to get beyond the quarters to be honest given they have let their county down quite a few times before even though their squad is bursting with talent. Henry netted quite a few in qualifiers and as France's leading scorer, should play all their games. He's in a tough group and may not score that many in the group stages, but I think they will go a long way and so he will have more opportunities than most to score. The guy from Poland, Smolarek, scored quite a few in qualification and, bearing in mind they have Austria in their group, may have an EW chance at 66/1 perhaps?

Re: Top Scorer Gone for Klose at 11s and an outside each way bet on Pavel Pogrebniak of Russia Arshavin is suspended for the first two Russian games (sent off against Andorra......what a plonker). P.P. was excellent for Zenit this season inthe UEFA Cup and could take advantage here.

Re: Top Scorer

For me' date=' Germany look the best team attacking wise in the tournament. They're full of goals and with Austria and Poland[/quote'] let me please remind you the last World Cup, Poland played in-form Germany and it was a mere (and a bit lucky) 1-0, and Poland were playing sh** back then imho Germany will have to work hard (they probably will) to go on, not more than odd goal wins and low scoring affairs with Poland and Croatia, also weak German defence is hard to miss... if Smolarek plays against Austria he may get a hattrick, but Poland have a few offensive players and its hard to predict who Beenhakker will field (he seems to prefer Roger and Zurawski... I guess he should field all three from the start). I don't see many goals with Germany and Croatia, most of it from set pieces most likely all in all, I wouldn't look for golden boots here (in this group), unless, of course, you "believe" in the Germans ;)

Re: Top Scorer its all about opions - and on Euro 2008 people have vastly different ones, as this forum shows. For example, I don't think Spain will reach the final, yet many on here think this is their year. RE Germany, the fact dodgy Lehmann is in goal worries me but attacking wise he doesn't enter calculations. As has already been said, Ballack will offer a threat and Schweinsteiger will get forward and get them goals. Don't know much about Gomez but Klose has proven he can do it in the tournaments and Podolski has been on fire in qualifying. If I remember rightly they scored the most goals of any team in qualifying (although 13-0 was one score against San Marino). I think they'll go through all the knock out stages and so their players will have more opportunites to score than those which go home early.

its all about opions - and on Euro 2008 people have vastly different ones, as this forum shows. For example, I don't think Spain will reach the final, yet many on here think this is their year. RE Germany, the fact dodgy Lehmann is in goal worries me but attacking wise he doesn't enter calculations. As has already been said, Ballack will offer a threat and Schweinsteiger will get forward and get them goals. Don't know much about Gomez but Klose has proven he can do it in the tournaments and Podolski has been on fire in qualifying. If I remember rightly they scored the most goals of any team in qualifying (although 13-0 was one score against San Marino). I think they'll go through all the knock out stages and so their players will have more opportunites to score than those which go home early.
Gomez is a goal machine, he scored 19 goals in 23 games in the Bundesliga and 3 in 4 appearances in the Champions League. According to a Stuttgart fan Klose has had a terrible season but will still definitely start as Low favours the old guard. Klose scored 10 in 24 in the league this season and will probably partner Podolski or Gomez. If Gomez starts the first game ill take him for top scorer.

Re: Top Scorer For those of you who picked Progrebniak looks like he's now a major doubt for the tournament. I think whoever is picked @ CF for Portugal is in with a good shout as I'm guessing they will play Ronaldo Wide Right and Quaresma/Nani on the Left??

Re: Top Scorer Nuno Gomes played 10 qualifiers, so think it will be a shock if they pick Almeida over him. So, 90sish on Betfair looks decent value if you think Portugal will get to the semis. But, whenever i´ve seen him play hes been shocking! 3 goals out of the 10 in qualifying isn´t great. Should get chances anyway. I´m on Anelka and Elmander aswell. Don´t think France will risk playing Benzema over Anelka, so seems odd Anelka is double the price in some places. Elmander should start for the Swedes, who i think could go through from that group, especially as Russia now dont have Pogbreynak and Arshavin for most of it. Also, took Ballack to be Germany´s top scorer. Klose is THE luckiest footballer alive and shouldn´t score half his goals, Podolski i think is more your Rooney-esqe striker that doesn´t score many, and Gomez looks good but I don´t think he´ll start. Ballacks record is something like 79 games and 35 goals from midfield, and he takes pens and free kicks. Pretty sure you could get as highs as 8´s with Sky, but got 6´s with $3.65.

Re: Top Scorer hmmm, as terrific as Ronaldo has been this season, his price is just too short to back him with confidence. i do think portugal are strong though, and quaresma has caught my eye at 210/1 looks baffling. surely he is going to start for porutgal? ballack looks a decent bet too and a definate taker at about 40/1. ribery at 95 too....ahh, so many good ones.....

Re: Top Scorer i have a fancy for Dirk kuyt, i know he is not a natural goalscorer however in big games when goals are required he has a habit of grabbing them, i cannot recall his odds off hand but believe they were around 20s Henrik larsson has to be worth a pound he has scored goals througout his career i see know reason why that should change now.

Re: Top Scorer I've got an E/W bet on Michael Ballack at 40/1. I'm pretty sure he's Germany's penalty taker, and takes some of their free-kicks. He's been in great form for Chelsea in the last few months and plays in a strong German team, tipped to win this years trophy. I expect him to be up there somewhere and see value in this bet.

hmmm' date=' as terrific as Ronaldo has been this season, his price is just too short to back him with confidence. i do think portugal are strong though, and quaresma has caught my eye at 210/1 looks baffling. surely he is going to start for porutgal? ballack looks a decent bet too and a definate taker at about 40/1. ribery at 95 too....ahh, so many good ones.....[/quote'] I've backed Ronaldo at 10/1 - he has been top scorer in the Premier League and the Champions League, and he has 20 goals in 55 internationals, and he got 8 of those in their qualifying games for Euro 2008 (lest we forget, until last year his goalscoring exploits had been sporadic). Ballacks odds have been trimmed, best I can find now is roughly 33's - although I wouldn't discourage anyone from taking that, his international goalscoring record is incredible.

Re: Top Scorer Cassano @250/1 is massive for a player of his quality. If he becomes a regular fixture by the knock out phase, this could be well worth it, especially if he can bag a goal or two early as super sub. Antonio DiNatale @66/1 is great value as well. He scored 17 goals for Udinese this season and has been arguably Italy's most dangerous forward. Scored two great goals against the Belgians last week. With Luca Toni due to get plenty of attention it could open things up for Di Natale.

Euro 2008 Top Scorer hi there all football fans! i started this thread to discuss and pick some top scorers of upcoming euro tournament. in my local bookie the offer looks like this:

Klose M. 10.00 2.90
Ronaldo C. 10.50 3.00
Torres F. 11.00 3.10
Toni L. 12.00 3.20
Villa D. 14.00 4.00
Van Nistelrooy 15.00 4.50
Henry T. 16.00 4.80
Gomez M. 18.00 5.00
Podolski L. 20.00 6.00
van Persie R. 25.00 8.00
Petrič M. 28.00 10.00
Benzema K. 28.00 10.00
Ibrahimovič Z. 30.00 12.00
Anelka N. 35.00 15.00
Kuranyi K. 35.00 15.00
Silva D. 40.00 18.00
Ballack M. 26.50 9.00
Huntelaar K.J. 40.00 18.00
Koller J. 45.00 19.00
Baroš M. 65.00 24.00
Di Natale A. 30.00 12.00
Mutu A. 50.00 20.00
Del Piero A. 50.00 20.00
Nuno Gomes 50.00 20.00
Smolarek E. 50.00 20.00
Elmander J. 50.00 20.00
Gekas T. 55.00 22.00
Nihat Kahveci 55.00 22.00
Olič I. 60.00 23.00
Almeida H. 65.00 24.00
Ribéry F. 70.00 25.00
van der Vaart R 70.00 25.00
Arshavin A. 75.00 26.00
Kuyt D. 75.00 26.00
Charisteas A. 80.00 28.00
Tuncay S. 85.00 30.00
Fabregas F. 85.00 30.00
Robben A. 85.00 30.00
Govou S. 85.00 30.00
Fenin M. 90.00 35.00
Sneijder W. 95.00 36.00
Quaresma R. 95.00 38.00
Deco 99.00 40.00
the first represent the odd for the player to be a top scorer of euro and the second the odd for the player coming up 1st to 3rd scorer. the players i like and will propably choose is ribery 1st-3rd olic 1st-3rd and kuranyi 1st-3rd. good luck guys...and add some of your feelings and picks!!!

Re: Euro 2008 Top Scorer Klose is rightly favourite due to his record of scoring for fun at major tournaments in the past. Torres has had a brilliant first season in te Premier League and should bag a few if Spain go far, which they are fancied to. I also like Olic of Croatia as an each way bet too.

Re: Top Scorer I have liked Alexander Frei for quite a while. Problem is I waited til closer to the kick off and he's gone from 90 to 55 on Betfair :( He's still 67s on Lasseters so I've taken a bit there, and some 21s for Top 3 on Betfair. Home teams generally do well in the big events and the Swiss I think will keep this trend going. Frei is their main striker and scores a lot of their goals so I see that there is some good value on offer for this. Top Scorer - Frei @ 67 Lasseters Top 3 Top Scorers - Frei @ 21 Betfair

Re: Top Scorer Had a cheeky half point e\w on Srna for Croatia @ 150/1. Same reasons as Ballack (Penalty & Set piece taker, "easy" group) but nearly 4 times the price. Don't reckon he'll win, but could place or may have opportunity to lay it off later in the tournament.