Top Scorer

Re: Top Scorer

A few things to consider... Spains 2 strikers - Torres and Villa, similar players, all the talk is with Torres because a lot of people see him week in week out in the Prem, but David Villa has scored 20 goals this season in all comps despite Valencia being desperately low in the Primera. He can be found @ 20/1 on Betfred. Christiano Ronaldo is short in the goalscorer market, but Portugal only have 3 strikers in the squad for the Euro's (they have been lacking in this department for a long time). Ronaldo has been playing a strikers role for United in recent weeks and you could put 2 and 2 together and think he may play up top for the Portugese. They have a fair few wingers in the squad including Quaresma, Simao and Nani. I'd say real value @ 11/1 on Ronaldo.
I agree with you, my choice for top scorer of Euro 2008 is Christiano Ronaldo

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Top Scorer Gomez top scorer 18/1 2.5 pts e.w Gomez has developed a reputation as one of the better strikers around and he has proved that with lots of goals in the Bundesliga of late and a decent start to his Germany career. He has been linked with some of the big clubs around Europe and can show his talents in this championship. Not totally certian to start but with Podolski's lack of matches for Bayern that could advance the Stuttgart mans cause to partner Klose. With Germany's favourable draw, they should be around in the later stages with advances his cause and the Austrians in particular could be the whipping boys to get soem goals. Toni top scorer 16/1 2.5 pts e.w Proved himself in Serie A before moving to Bayern last year and had some success last year being the top scorer in Germany. Now is the main man for Italy up front and lots of Italy's play is centered around Toni whcih often leads to him scoring a lot of their goals. Of course there is the danger that they dont qualify (which reduces chance of gaols) from a tough looking group but personally I think they can make it through especially with the Dutch looking set to disappoint for me from the so called 'big 3' in that group.

Re: Top Scorer Mario Gomez Top scorer 18. With the Germans likely to go to at least the semis, this looks like a solid bet as the Stuttgart striker has had a fantastic season and has been more prolific than his partner Klose. Austria are a poor team and the Germans could get a couple here. Was also thinking of adding Ballack at good odds but I'll stick with the Bundesliga player of the year for now.

Re: Top Scorer Ivica Olic - 66/1 could bag a few goals in the group stage against Poland and Austria perhaps , Most of the goals Croatia score will be through this man probably , maybe some value at E/W . Henrik Larsson - if sweden perform surely larsson will bag a few goals , another good E/W bet at 50/1

Re: Top Scorer JBird, you can still bet each way but bear in mind that his odds are now a best priced 7/2 (Betfred) and that each way betting is on 1/4 of the odds, i.e. you would still make a slight loss if you backed each way and he placed (but didn't finish top scorer). If you aren't confident he will win it outright, but think he is a certainty to finish in the top four, you could consider betting on Betfair as they do a market to finish in the top 4. The odds are less, but you wouldn't 'waste' the win part of the each way bet. There is the frustration however, of a lesser payout in the event that he does go on and win!!!!

Re: Top Scorer Alrite, Cheers, Might just wait for his odds to go back out to 5/1 or similar, Heres a question I asked elsewhere but couldnt get clear answer on, concerning the each way bet for top scorer..... Look at this example, I need to know what clarifys as top 4 goalscorer in terms of 'each way' ... Lets say 5 goals: Baros 4 goals: Henry Luca-Toni 3 goals: Robben Modric Padolski 2 goals: Ribbery Klose Ronaldo Loads others Now does each way mean that those on 2 goals would be a winning bet since it's the 4th bracket of scorers, or is it those on 3 goals since that's where the 4th top goalscorer essentialy falls into along with the others on in that 3 goal bracket ?

Alrite, Cheers, Might just wait for his odds to go back out to 5/1 or similar, Heres a question I asked elsewhere but couldnt get clear answer on, concerning the each way bet for top scorer..... Look at this example, I need to know what clarifys as top 4 goalscorer in terms of 'each way' ... Lets say 5 goals: Baros 4 goals: Henry Luca-Toni 3 goals: Robben Modric Padolski 2 goals: Ribbery Klose Ronaldo Loads others Now does each way mean that those on 2 goals would be a winning bet since it's the 4th bracket of scorers, or is it those on 3 goals since that's where the 4th top goalscorer essentialy falls into along with the others on in that 3 goal bracket ?
Baros- winner Henry, Toni - full e/w price Robben/Modric/Podolski- 1/3 e/w price (eg robben @ 13 would pay 5 instead) ... I am not 100% but this makes sense to me....:ok

Re: Top Scorer alrite, doesent seem worth it then to be honest, I thought those on 3 goals would get the full each way price.... you basicaly need to back the 2nd top scorer (3rd if your lucky) and odds are quaterd down, nahhhh

Re: Top Scorer Took a few in play prices in the top scorer market yesterday. Angelos Charisteas @ 400/1 - Don't know what he is doing at that price without playing a game. The Greeks play tonight against Sweden with this man leading the line. Spain obviously fav's to go through and 2nd is up for grabs. Too big a price to nibble at.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Top Scorer ...unless Nihat makes a remarkable recovery from the injury he endured on Friday night's match against Croatia inside the next 60 hours that seems unlikely. The market as it currently is right now with the best available odds right now: * David Villa 4 8/13 (Coral Eurobet) * Lukas Podolski 3 9/2 (Boylesports) * Roman Pavlyuchenko 3 13/2 (Bet365/Canbet) * Michael Ballack 2 22/1 (Boylesports but 27/1 at Betfair) * Andrei Arshavin 2 25/1 (Boylesports) * Fernando Torres 1 28/1 (Blue Square/Boylesports/Paddy Power) * Nihat Kahveci 2 40/1 (Canbet) * Arda Turan 2 80/1 (Coral Eurobet)

...unless Nihat makes a remarkable recovery from the injury he endured on Friday night's match against Croatia inside the next 60 hours that seems unlikely. The market as it currently is right now with the best available odds right now: * David Villa 4 8/13 (Coral Eurobet) * Lukas Podolski 3 9/2 (Boylesports) * Roman Pavlyuchenko 3 13/2 (Bet365/Canbet) * Michael Ballack 2 22/1 (Boylesports but 27/1 at Betfair) * Andrei Arshavin 2 25/1 (Boylesports) * Fernando Torres 1 28/1 (Blue Square/Boylesports/Paddy Power) * Nihat Kahveci 2 40/1 (Canbet) * Arda Turan 2 80/1 (Coral Eurobet)
Nihat is already back in Turkey as far as I know. Anyway, Villa doesn't look like value @ long odds on. There is every chance that Podolski will score at least one. If Russia are to score, Pavlyusenko is the main candidate. And if Spain repeat a timid, defence-based tactics like against Italy, the strikers will get no chance to score. After the Russia match, Torres was always the more dangerous of the two.

Re: Top Scorer Been looking at this market tonight, I expect Germany to win and score a few tonight but not sure if Podolski or Klose will be the ones on the scoresheet, i'm sure one will but not sure which. I think Podolski could be a decent bet as I fully expect Germany to get to the final, therefore giving him chance to score again in the final and overtake Villa. I think Pavyluchenko is also a good bet. His price is partly based on the bookies expecting Spain to knock them out but it won't be a repeat of the group game this time around. Russia have improved throughout the tournament and the Spain game could see them hitting a peak and reaching the final, again giving Pavyluchenko chance to score in that game. I don't think Villa looked that dangerous against Italy, I know they (Italy) are very good defensively but Villa did not look great anyway. The outsider of the bunch I'm interested in is Arshavin at around 18-1 with Paddypower. He only has 2 goals so far but missed the opening games and has looked awesome when he has played. He is trying to put himself in the shop window and get a move to Spain and 1 in the Semi and 1 in the Final could see him get at least joint top scorer, dependant on if they all stay on 4 goals. It depends if you see Spain progressing or Russia and I can see Spain getting knocked out. Some of Russias passing and movement has been immense and Pavyluchenko and Arshavin will always be a real danger. Top Goalscorer 1pt Podolski 4-1 Bet365 1pt Pavyluchenko 13-2 Bet365 1pt Arshavin 18-1 Paddypower

Been looking at this market tonight, I expect Germany to win and score a few tonight but not sure if Podolski or Klose will be the ones on the scoresheet, i'm sure one will but not sure which. I think Podolski could be a decent bet as I fully expect Germany to get to the final, therefore giving him chance to score again in the final and overtake Villa. I think Pavyluchenko is also a good bet. His price is partly based on the bookies expecting Spain to knock them out but it won't be a repeat of the group game this time around. Russia have improved throughout the tournament and the Spain game could see them hitting a peak and reaching the final, again giving Pavyluchenko chance to score in that game. I don't think Villa looked that dangerous against Italy, I know they (Italy) are very good defensively but Villa did not look great anyway. The outsider of the bunch I'm interested in is Arshavin at around 18-1 with Paddypower. He only has 2 goals so far but missed the opening games and has looked awesome when he has played. He is trying to put himself in the shop window and get a move to Spain and 1 in the Semi and 1 in the Final could see him get at least joint top scorer, dependant on if they all stay on 4 goals. It depends if you see Spain progressing or Russia and I can see Spain getting knocked out. Some of Russias passing and movement has been immense and Pavyluchenko and Arshavin will always be a real danger. Top Goalscorer 1pt Podolski 4-1 Bet365 1pt Pavyluchenko 13-2 Bet365 1pt Arshavin 18-1 Paddypower
I agree with your point about Arshavin, he is class and it's no coincidence that Russia's upturn in form has come about since he was back in the side. 18/1 is a cracking price. That said, I can personally see Spain going through tonight for a couple of reasons. 1) The fact that they already beat Russia comfortably (I know Russia weren't the same side then due to AA being out but still the confidence will be with the Spanish). 2) The fact that Russia play such an open and attacking game, COULD play right into the hands of Spain. If the likes of Xavi / Iniesta etc get time and space on the ball, they can make things happen. All in all it should be an entertaining game though.

Re: Top Scorer Today's Bettingzone Market News: 1430: bet365 have cut David Villa from 4/9 to 1/4 to land the Euro 2008 Golden Boot, despite him missing the final against Germany on Sunday. bet365 spokesman Steve Freeth said: "There would have been a few customers nervously holding their double-figure ante-post vouchers when David Villa hobbled off against Russia. "His absence means there could be a number of punters hiding behind the sofa when Lukas Podolski takes aim on Sunday!"

Today's Bettingzone Market News: 1430: bet365 have cut David Villa from 4/9 to 1/4 to land the Euro 2008 Golden Boot, despite him missing the final against Germany on Sunday. bet365 spokesman Steve Freeth said: "There would have been a few customers nervously holding their double-figure ante-post vouchers when David Villa hobbled off against Russia. "His absence means there could be a number of punters hiding behind the sofa when Lukas Podolski takes aim on Sunday!"
Yup im one of those nervous punters hoping that things stay as they are in the GS market! Out of interest - does anyone know what would happen if someone tied with Villa on 4 goals? I used betfair to place my bet!

I reckon the playoff phase matches will again bring 1-0 results so the reasonable chance is to go for a good team with a striker able to score 3+ in the group phase. Germany is a puzzle' date=' they have many offensive players, thwy had their top goalscorer last time (WC2006) and will play two well-defending teams (Croatia and Poland), their last game being with Austria some second string striker may have the most of it though I doubt it would be a hattrick so Germans for the above reasons are out for me. Portugal has also a pretty tough group with sensible defending, they boast splendid midfielders and Ronaldo used to underperform at big occasions. Their coach has twisted mentality and I can't see many goals coming from Portugal. I personally like the look of Luca Toni and David Villa but excuse me I need to go for a pee ;) maybe someone else will explain why these two ;)[/quote'] :nana had Toni made use of a little speck of his chances... but who cares :ok