** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Boxing: Haye v Maccarinelli - March 8th

Re: Boxing: Haye v Maccarinelli - March 8th

Both men have a big bang in their gloves but Haye's chin isn’t quite so rock solid."
That could be the key to the fight, if Enzo jabs and moves and avoids those slugging punches from Haye he will be ok and i'd expect him to be fitter if it got as far as the last 4 rounds or so. You don't get far in boxing with no chin and tonight Haye will either be found out or prove the critics wrong. Still not had a bet on the fight, going to look through the options today.

Both men have a big bang in their gloves but Haye's chin isn’t quite so rock solid."
Who says? The blokes been stopped once, when his experience and fitness let him down. Enzo has also been stopped once. Why does this mean Haye has the dodgier chin? You could argue Enzo has never been hit like Haye will hit him. There's more to Haye than the bombs too. I'm going to really stick my neck on the line and predict an early night for Enzo. Haye by stoppage within 4. Probably going to look a tit after but I can't see any other outcome. Anyone expecting an upset is forgetting that Enzo is a Frank Warren fighter and has only ever fought people Warren knows he can beat. Except for now when the money is just too big to pass up. Warren's going to be dining out on this fight for years.

Re: Boxing: Haye v Maccarinelli - March 8th I've not always been totally convinced by Haye but he admits he's had some ugly fights. Enzo may look good due to that factor of fighting bums and now we find out if he's the real deal. It's Hayes reaction at times when he's been hit, he has looked stunned, almost like he's not supposed to get hit, that may be Enzo's reaction when he feels Hayes power tonight. I'm guessing you don't like Frank Warren, Paul? I don't really know what to think of him, seems to have been around in boxing for years, always promises the big fights but doesn't often deliver and as you say seems to over protect his fighters.

I'm guessing you don't like Frank Warren' date=' Paul? I don't really know what to think of him, seems to have been around in boxing for years, always promises the big fights but doesn't often deliver and as you say seems to over protect his fighters.[/quote'] Frank could protect fighters all day and night, but in the end you have to get a title shot if you keep winning unless...you don't want one. The same applies to Amir Khan. Eventually he will probably have to face a Latin American for a world title, and if he can punch, which most of them can, we will find out about Amirs chin, and skill level. As for the fight tonight, if I can get a live feed, and providing Enzo tries to whack him, if David survives the first round with his sloppy left hand defence, I shall bet on it going further than half way. Got to see the shape of the fight before committing.

I'm guessing you don't like Frank Warren, Paul? I don't really know what to think of him, seems to have been around in boxing for years, always promises the big fights but doesn't often deliver and as you say seems to over protect his fighters.
It's not really that I don't like Frank Warren, he's an incredible businessman who knows the sport inside out. He always makes the fights he knows his fighters are capable of winning (which I have to say worries me a little about tonight). Although even if Enzo loses tonight he knows Haye is off to heavy weight and Enzo will have the WBO title again within two fights probably, so this fight is a shot to nothing for him. My problem is that he hypes his fighters up, getting them world champion status with a WBO or WBU belt then gets tham fighting journeymen and has beens to line his own wallet. Look at the difference between say Calzaghe and Haye. Calzaghe has been 'champ' for 10 years, took about 20 fights to unify the titles then is fighting Hopkins now he's right on the cusp of retirement. The time for Calzaghe/Hopkins was 7-8 years ago. If Haye wins tonight he'll hold 3 titles in 21 fights, despite losing once. Look at what he did with Hatton, only fought Tszyu after he hadn't had a fight for two years. Can't see how Hatton would have got the Mayweather fight with Warren.

Re: Boxing: Haye v Maccarinelli - March 8th This should be a quality fight, a classic fight in truth. The undercard isn't bad either. Both are heavy punchers and both can leave themselves open too. My 1st view before I'd really thought about it was that this would be a quick fight with Haye KOing Maccarinelli. But having thought about it in more detail and weighing a few things over while watching another pathetic performance from Luton today I can see it lasting a bit with Enzo winning :lol. With such indecision I shouldn't bet really but there's value about so I'll try and grab some of it. 5pts E.Maccarinelli to win in rounds 7-12 5/1 Sportingbet David Haye is a worthy favourite in this fight. He's at home, he's the heavier fighter and he's probably the harder puncher. But. He drops his left hand alarmingly and can leave himself open. He'll be much heavier than Maccarinelli come fight time which could assist him early but could hamper him later in the fight. Enzo Maccarinelli has the same trademarks as Haye. He's a big puncher and likes to get his opponents out of there. He has a more solid defence than Haye though IMO, he can certainly cover up when he needs to. Enzo's from a very successful and knowledgeable gym. Enzo Calzaghe's gym has 4 world champions currently in it and it's very rare they get a fight tactically wrong. I can just see Maccarinelli being a bit cautious early doors, covering up and doing enough to keep Haye at arms length and then come the halfway mark, with himself fully in the fight start to get more expansive and test the chin of Haye. Enzo should be the stronger the more the fight goes on and 5/1 on a 2nd half KO looks big to me so I'll have a medium stake on it. I'll have a little saver on Enzo on points at 10/1 too.

Re: Boxing: Haye v Maccarinelli - March 8th Hard to split these two tonight so instead I've gone for: Haye to win rounds 7-9 - 5pts at 9-1 Maccarinelli to win rounds 7-9 - 5pts at 9-1 I'm not even sure it will get to 7 rounds. Just seen pictures from the weigh in and Haye looks ripped, no trouble with the weight there. This should be a classic, can't wait. :D

Re: Boxing: Haye v Maccarinelli - March 8th There won't be many heavyweights taking shots like that either. Enzo was well and truly found out and outclassed. PaulM - you called it spot on. :okI expected a longer fight, tactical for 4-5 rounds but Enzo couldn't take those shots. When the 1st one landed you knew he was in trouble. Maybe we will have a heavyweight champion again sooner than expected.

There won't be many heavyweights taking shots like that either. Enzo was well and truly found out and outclassed. PaulM - you called it spot on. :okI expected a longer fight' date=' tactical for 4-5 rounds but Enzo couldn't take those shots. When the 1st one landed you knew he was in trouble. Maybe we will have a heavyweight champion again sooner than expected.[/quote'] Yeah, he landed a sickener that would have finished lesser fighters, but you knew it was over from then. Imagine what his powers going to be like at 15 and half stone. If he tightens that defence up there isn't a heavy in the world right now who could match him.

Re: Boxing: Haye v Maccarinelli - March 8th Eh. I didn't watch the fight as my Setanta conked out (my NASN was OK though! :eyes). Heard it on Five Live and it sounded like Enzo was overawed by the situation and was simply 'outclassed'. David Haye to win inside 3 rounds was an 11/2 shot!? Jaysus. I think David Haye to win in round two was a general 12/1 shot. Very, very, very annoyed.

Re: Boxing: Haye v Maccarinelli - March 8th Great Call PaulM.... I'm not sure what to make of the fight of it to be honest, Haye made me laugh in his post match interview though "I'm either gonna knock someone out or get knocked out" :lol Suppose we will find out how good he is soon.....

Re: Boxing: Haye v Maccarinelli - March 8th Yeah I didnt like that.......he was so far out of his depth it was embrassing wasnt it? Should have just came out and admitted so, he made a good pay packet out of it anyway, far more than his performance merited.

Yeah fairplay to him for his honesty Matt. Hate Enzo's post fight comments though blatanly making excuses rather than just admitting he was simply outclassed.
I thought that. 'I made mistakes, didn't stick to the gameplan'. Errrrmmmm no... Haye made sure your gameplan didn't matter by bludgeoning you to the floor within 5 minutes. . I thought the commentators were a bit biased towards mac aswell

Re: Boxing: Haye v Maccarinelli - March 8th Another TKO then.. :tongue2 Haye was faster than Mac. But imo he aint that fast. Mac wasn't fast enough with either hand, giving Haye the chance to drop that left arm again (which he will pay for one day) Mac landed two good body punches but never landed a punch afterwards with the opposite hand. Off balance, and in a word...sloppy. Haye hit Mac with 2 early right handers which showed no effect. When he caught him with the next right he was on the ropes and in deep trouble. It still took a few more sdwings and punches to put him down, but not knock him out. Verdict - He won, but I wasn't overly impressed. I'm glad I wasn't awake as I may have layed a finish in the first 6 rounds, I said it would start cagey, and it did for one round.

Re: Boxing: Haye v Maccarinelli - March 8th I also expected a cagey fight for at least 5 rounds, find each other out, Enzo to work behind a jab and rely on speed and then a KO one way or the other between rounds 7-9. I think it was a bit embarrasing, all this build up and it fizzled out like a cheap firework. After the right hand hurt Enzo the 6 or 7 punches Haye swung did not actually connect, more like grazed the top of Enzo's head before that other took him off his feet and ended the fight. Enzo got found out as PaulM predicted, it's all well and good fighting bums and journeymen but look what happens when your opponent hits back and hits harder than you. :eek I think me and CM are in the same camp when it comes to Haye's left arm and boxers like Oliver McCall or Hasim Rahman can close their eyes, throw a wild massive right hand and get lucky if Haye is not holding his left arm up and protecting himself. They have the one punch chance of ending the fight if they are given that opportunity and it will be :zzzKO rather then TKO. :lol Heavyweight boxing needs some excitement and Haye will bring it, partly due to his defence.