Six Nations 2008

Re: Six Nations 2008 on the issue of alix popham being dropped from the squad. I dont really understand it (his performance at twickenham was decent) but then i was speaking to my dad. In his opinion (and he watches as much welsh rugby as is on telly) Popham wasnt showing any form before the tournament and shouldnt have really been in the squad in the first place. Delve has seemingly replaced him in the squad and has looked good this year. Deiniol Jones selection could improve the lineout if he comes on. Jamie Roberts is a monster of a man apparently, he could definately have some fun today. All i hope is that Gatland and Edwards can motivate them for this game, last weeks victory is huge for the squad and they could go in two directions: - Build on it - Become complacent

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Six Nations 2008

Yeah it really was a shambolic decision' date=' game would have been a lot closer on the handicap though obviously had it not been given. I wasn't complaining though.[/quote'] Me either.... a happy happy man Plus shane getting 2 is helping the bet on him being the top welsh try scorer France have yet again managed to confuse any reading I have of them

Re: Six Nations 2008 Italy v England Reading all the talk of England taking out their Wales frustrations on Italy, and in the other camp Mallett down-playing Italy... poor against Ireland etc ... you'd say England by 30. The hard fact is England have scored just 13 tries from their last 10 games. In 5 of these games they've not crossed the line. I just can't see it all clicking into place against these tough nuts. This is going to be hard work for England. 11pts Italy +7 HT handicap @ 10/11

Re: Six Nations 2008 Nice work with Shane Williams, Mr Wall. He is a class finisher. Today's game should be interesting. Italy aren't that bad and could put in a solid showing. Good to see the Poms give Lippo a run at openside. He will hopefully be strong on the ball and will look to link up with the backs more. Expect to see Easter play tight and Lipman a little looser. Adding Stevens to the team also adds mobility, which was needed at the back end of last week.

Re: Six Nations 2008 Italy +13 HCP @1.93 Paddypower I can't believe this handicap especially after Englands' capitulation in the 2nd half v Wales last time out! Add to the fact England have 5 injured players and playing at Italy it all augurs for another uncomfortable afternoon for England. Italy did really well at a very hard venue last time out v Ireland at Crooke Park losing 16 v 11. That game will have given them lots of confidence for this game and being an underdog with their homecrowd behind them knowing England are in turmoil will be big enough incentive for them to have a right old go of England. I think if you would ask England if they would rather take the points for a narrow win here they would jump at the chance! England rely too much on penalties as they don't score many tries. I also like the look of Italy +7 HCP @2.75 Paddypower as I can't see England if they win? - win by many points!!! :hope

Re: Six Nations 2008 A stomach bug has ruled England captain Phil Vickery out of Sunday's Six Nations match against Italy in Rome. Vickery had been struggling with a calf injury all week, but came through a late fitness test to take his place, but illness means he misses out. Lock Steve Borthwick will now captain England with Vickery's place in the front row going to Bath's Matt Stevens. (Source: BBC Sport website)

Cheers Wumpking. My early thoughts are that Ireland/Scotland will be a pretty tight game' date=' I have no faith in Wales giving double figure points away in the 6 nations and I think England could well try to bore the life out of France.[/quote'] I actually think Wales might actually notch up a decent score against Italy and win by 20+ points. I can't see Italy scoring any tries and their kicking isn't great. Wales on the other hand have the firepower to run in tries from anywhere as well as an ability to keep the scoreboard ticking over through a reliable kicker. Wales have won by 20+ points in 3 out of 4 of their last home games against Italy:
11/03/2006 Wales 18 Italy 18
27/03/2004 Wales 44 Italy 10
02/03/2002 Wales 44 Italy 20
19/02/2000 Wales 47 Italy 16
I'm going to back Wales on the superiority spreads. IG currently have Wales at 11 - 14 and thats got to be a buy for me (indeed even the IRB ratings predict Wales will win by a higher margin than this). With the downside seeming limited, bet therefore is: £5 Buy of Wales Superiority @ 14 with IG Sports

Re: Six Nations 2008 Skybet has Wales at 10/3 to beat Ireland at Croke Park on March 8th. This is very generous. if Wales play both halves and win by 18 against Italy (this weekend) and Scotland bring Ireland down to their mediocrity (not hard) in a low-scoring game I think the price above will be more like 6/4. Getting in early and big... 30pts Wales to beat Ireland @ 10/3 (remember, this is a Mar 8th bet)

Skybet has Wales at 10/3 to beat Ireland at Croke Park on March 8th. This is very generous. if Wales play both halves and win by 18 against Italy (this weekend) and Scotland bring Ireland down to their mediocrity (not hard) in a low-scoring game I think the price above will be more like 6/4. Getting in early and big... 30pts Wales to beat Ireland @ 10/3 (remember, this is a Mar 8th bet)
You got a link for that Pie-chucker as I can't see that anywhere indeed Wales for the triple crown effectively the Ireland game is priced at 11/8 and a best 6/4 elsewhere?

Skybet has Wales at 10/3 to beat Ireland at Croke Park on March 8th. This is very generous. if Wales play both halves and win by 18 against Italy (this weekend) and Scotland bring Ireland down to their mediocrity (not hard) in a low-scoring game I think the price above will be more like 6/4. Getting in early and big... 30pts Wales to beat Ireland @ 10/3 (remember, this is a Mar 8th bet)
Think I disagree and suggest holding on Wales may or may not struggle against an impressive Italy, if they do win well it won't make difference though as I think Ireland will win comfortably against what is one of the worst Scottish sides for years. I think the odds are likely to stay the same with Wales winning against italy by about 16 and Ireland beating Scotland by about 12

Re: Six Nations 2008 Handicap 3/6 Spreads 3/3 Starting bank 100 Current 125 Wales v Italy Gatland v Mallett, two canny coaches. If the Welsh scrum can get anything like parity, then it should be one-way traffic. I'm on Wales to get off to a lively start. 11pts Wales -6 HT @ 10/11 Ireland v Scotland Scotland have scored 1 try in the last 5 games and have looked pedestrian at best in first two games. Paterson for Hook at 10 offers very little in getting the backs moving. Ireland will have at last taken a bit of oomph out of their 2nd half v France and I see them as 20pts winners at Croke Park. My betting focus for w/e is on this one. If Scotland find a perfromance from the blue, I'm sunk! 22pts Ireland -11 @ 10/11 2.5pts SELL total match points at 40 0.5pts SELL Scotland multi-points at 50 France v England A selection gamble too far for Lievremont? England, with at least 6 players under the cosh, too get it together for all 80 minutes? Punting minefield, but I'm French on this. 5pts France -6 @ evens So it's home wins for me, with Ireland very much the banker. :ok

Re: Six Nations 2008 I also like Wales -6 Piechucker at 10/11. Believe Bertolussi's out as well so don't know what their sub kicker is like and they aren't very likely to score in open play during the first half. Wales "should" have a comfartable lead at HT.

Re: Six Nations 2008 Good luck with the forum's Six Nations bets tomorrow. Nice stats Pie-chucker about the Irish penalty count. I didn't realise it was that low. Must be some sort of record (particulaly away fromhome) as I can't remember any other match with a count that low. Wales had a really low penalty count against the Boks some years ago (I think they gave away about 3 or 4).

Very risky, CK. Scotland 1st half points x 2nd half points. Obviously hope ZERO points one half = 0 make up. 6 first half/ 7 second half would give 42.
Thanks Pie. All then best with that :ok I can't see Scotland troubling Ireland at Croke Park. hard to get an in on the betting front but am going the HT/FT double. Still not 100% convinced by Wales and from memory Italy have troubled them over the past few years. Although Wales look good in patches they have also looked ordinary in others. No surprise how Italy will play and they could keep this close enough to cover a large 13.5 margin. Finally France/England. I like England for a bit of a surprise here. May not take it but could give France a scare. The HT margin worked for me last week so I'm on it again. All Odds Centrebet: 10pts Ireland HT/FT @ 1.42 10pts Italy +13.5 @ 1.85 10pts England +3.5 HT @ 1.85 GLA Cheers CK 6N 2008: Staked 55 Returned 82.15 Bank 127.15 Yield 49%