Six Nations 2008

Re: Six Nations 2008 another suprise today in Murrayfield stadium:D. Difficult game for France after change thier coach Bernard Laporte for Marc Lievremont.He choose to make several change on the team since the last world cup and today is only the 1st game on bench with this new team so carefull of this .However Lievremont choose to play an offensive rugby with great player like Malzieu Clerc Haymans or Rougerie so maybe an opening game this afternoon. the weather seems not good in Edimburg .French team can't training yesterday cause of snow in Edimburg city so carefull could be an advantage for Scotish Drop goal during the game @2.70 bwin 3.5/10 Sin binned @1.75 bwin 5/10 :hope gl preview of planetrugby http://www.planetrugby.com/sixnations/Story/0,19022,3820_3099998,00.html

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Six Nations 2008 No bet on this match today fro me. I think if people back France on the handicap then they really are betting blindly as there are too many unknowns with this French side. If I had to bet I would go France - the points but I wouldn't be very confident. Remember ther are only 6 players left over from the World Cup and on their day they can either batter you or play awful.

Re: Six Nations 2008 Weather worries never in it so it looked very French from the start. Lucky bounces helped. Scots more dire than 'earnest'. Taking 31 profit into next weekend, but not a great deal of knowledge. Three rather odd games. Mallett, Gatland, Lievremont - the new blokes - happiest going into next w/e. Also the most injury free.

Re: Six Nations 2008

Taking 31 profit into next weekend, but not a great deal of knowledge.
True Still in the dark really, some pretty average performances this weekend. Still thanks to France taking some profit and hopefully more in the next round :ok

Re: Six Nations 2008 Scotland +10 maybe. Bookies might see Welsh as playing a similar game to France and confidence graph up on Wales and it looks like a second Lamont hits the dust and Scots crap away recently (stats?). Italy +15. But, most precise thing about the whole w/e was Italy line-out. Mallett more time, and in Rome. Ashton selections will be interesting. Will he 'go French'? Cipriani at 10. Weight of money mad Englishmen so cap will be too high. Ireland +12. Refuse to talk about Ireland. Wallies. Fair shout, Steve. I'd go Wales, Italy, France on your prediction above.

Re: Six Nations 2008 What a GREAT weekends rugby. OK my bets were average and my other comments off but I would happily lose my entire betting fund if it means Wales winning :) Not so sure about England losing it - as soon as Wales cut out the mistakes they had more ball, more territory and frightened the english back line. Still a lot of work to do but its a good start Still up on the weekend thanks to a good French win, but for people looking to read into things I would be weary. 2 lucky bounces, shocking play by scotland and a lot of offloads working that are 50/50 at best meant they might have lookmed better than they are. The Scottish were shocking and my tip for the wooden spoon (always said they have been massively over rated) as they have to play wales italy and ireland away. Wales were awful in one half and great in another. Gatland will work on things and shanklin and gethin jenkins coming in will help. Improving all the time I expect but am very weary of Italy who's spoiling tactics could be a real stumbling block, as well as the french England. have the pack to trouble anyone as the world cup showed, but teh attempts at a wide game is showing up how limited their centres are. Still have a sneaky suspicion they will win the championship Italy. Suprised me, have a pack to trouble anyone but the best and spoil supremely well. No back play to talk of and I think they are vunerable outside as I said previously. Great weekends rugby though, makes things interesting for next week

Let's have some predictions for the proposed handicaps next weekend. I'll start us off with Scotland +8 Italy +15 Ireland +10 These are proposed handicaps not predictions.
I honestly think that might be pretty accurate and I am worried to put money on any... but again, if a gun were forced to my head I would say Englands powerful pack will over-rule what is italys strongest point against most teams and grind out a good win... I suspect 3 tries and a bunch of penalties to england with italy very limited in attacking play (how many times did they break through the irish defence in a threatening manner?)... england by about 20 Wales vs Scotland. I suspect Scotland will be out for blood on this one, and have a pack that could worry wales, just look at the scrums with teh starting XV against France. BUT confidence will be high, shanks and gethin should get a start and the scottish defence looked ragged when they were run at... which should be the welsh game plan. Wales by 12 - 15 is my gut feeling but I always worry about betting on any team I support and any team that has just been stuffed, both of which count here. France vs Ireland. Another that could go either way. France could struggle, and despite their comprehensive win I am not convinced by them. But Ireland were shocking and a decent forward performance could well see them struggle. No idea on this one. My gut says Ireland but I just can't make up my mind

Re: Six Nations 2008 Handicaps currently available are ( bearing in my these figures are for the largest points difference on the handicap): Scotland +10 Ireland +14 (totesport) Italy +15 Early thoughts are I'd probably side with Scotland +10 Ireland +13 and England -15. Even though Scotland looked dreadful at times their pack was very solid and I think we'll see Patterson back at fly half who's always worth 6-9 points per match. I've just taken the +14 with totesport as I think it will shorten towards the weekend. Ireland should keep things tight and we all know how awful France can be at home when the pressures on. England destroyed Wales the first half and I think they'll want to knock up a big score in Italy.

Re: Six Nations 2008 Just read that Alex Popham has been dropped from the Welsh squad all together along with Mark Jones. I can understand his reasoning with Mark Jones but he must have dropped Popham for his lack of discipline and the penalties he gives away. He is obviously one of Wales' better players.

Even though Scotland looked dreadful at times their pack was very solid and I think we'll see Patterson back at fly half who's always worth 6-9 points per match.
Looks to me he is more likely to start at 15 as lamont is injured, suggesting a more tactical kicking game plan... which by the looks of it is also Gatlands thoughts brinnging roberts at 14 presumably to watch for the cross field kick and provide another kicking option when covering back (roberts is more of a 15 than a winger). My belief that Wales will beat the handicap comes from how poor the scottish midfield looks, both in attack and defence. Shane should also get the better of team mate walker outwide. The pack will be a good match up but so long as they secure as little as 40/45% possession I would expect Wales to comfortably win.

Re: Six Nations 2008 Wales v Scotland Scotland have won exactly twice in 10 years away from home (excluding Italy) in the 5N/6N. And can't see them adding to that meagre tally here. Presuming scrum parity, Wales have too much ambition in the backs for Scotland to hold them close. Under the Gatland regime, they won't --as against Fiji -- lose the plot. Hook will have taken huge confidence out of the England game. Lee Byrne at 15 was impressive. Henson is getting right back into dangerous international form. Shane Williams will be in his element. If Parks' kicking out of hand is just a bit wayward, these guys will carve up the Scots big time. I see it as 4 tries to 1 and will go happily over the -9 Wales. France v Ireland 2000 and BoD scoring 3 tries in Paris. Long time ago. Ireland are a busted flush. Got it all wrong on the handicap thinking these guys could pull it together in Dublin last w/e. Reddan, the scrum-half, was an eye-opener but the rest were very ordinary. Ireland lost 25-3 to France in Paris in the WC group stages and expect the same margin here. But, it's just possible that Ireland will do a Glenn Close (in Fatal Attraction) and rise from the bath and frighten France -12 handicap backers silly. But I see France more as Charlotte Corday. France to get the upper hand in the second half 'Cap and spread punts - for what they're worth - towards the w/e. :ok

what is a sticky?
A sticky thread.
IRB ratings system in a bit of strife this w/e' date=' Wumpking :\. The bookies are onto you as system predicted margins almost exactly match the likely handicap![/quote'] The system was completely out last week. If the bookies are on to it, now is the time to bet :rollin!! Nice write ups on the Wales & France games. Best wishes for your weekend selections.

Re: Six Nations 2008 My first attempt at a tip on the main board - wish me luck! Wales vs Scotland - Wales to beat the handicap -10 Scotland have been very poor for a number of years. A suprising number of people have been backing them as a dark horse but for me they have flattered to decieve. They only won one game in the last 6 nations against what was one of the worst welsh performances I have ever seen. They managed to beat Italy in the world cup only with 6 penalities. Their players are vastly over rated as well. At 10 Parks can do little but kick the thing, their 3/4 are shocking in both defence and attack and on the wing only lamont (who is injured ) and nikki walker are hald decent. Patterson is a good player but not a back 3 player which is where he tends to play... and can't influence the game enough. A question you have to ask yourself for this handicap is when did you last see the Scottish team looking threatening in attack... looking to score tries? Up front Scotland have a decent pack and a very good scrum which may well trouble Wales. Wales on the other hand have some important players hitting form. Hook is making breaks and improving with each game, Henson is in form for club and country, shane breaks from anywhere and shanklin straightens the line far better than parker last week. The pack will miss the athleticsm of wyn-jones but Ian Evans coming in will definately improve the mess of the lineout, as will having Jonathon Thomas on the field for more than 12 mins. Gatland has, for me, pulled a master stroke picking roberts on the wing. Parks will very obviously play the kicking game and so having another 15 on the pitch to cover the cross field kick, and another boot (as back up to the cannons on henson, hook and byrne) should mean Wales rarely languish in their own 22 A number of vital match ups for me. 1. Scrum. wales can afford to go back slightly, or do like they did against England and cleverly wheel it around rather than retreat. For me Scotland will have teh upperhand but Wales managed to cope with Sheridan and co last week so should not lose anyball or fly back at the rate of knotts 2. Lineout. another Scotland strength that Wales have struggled at. ian evans and JT should secure most of thjeir own ball, though there will be some lost lineouts (par for teh course with wales) 3. 10's - Hooks running vs Parks kicking. Park needs a perfect game here because kicking to shane williams, hook, henson, byrne and all and missing targets could see some very dangerous ball being run back. He was off his game last week and a hostile welsh crowd won't help. 4. Centre. The true attacking threat from wales comes from henson putting shanklin or any winger/15 running infield into space. Can the Scottish centres get to grasp with the bombardment of runners? Having seen the Scottish defence last week I would say no Wales confidence is high, Scotlands defence was cut to pieces (by an average french team) and all Wales will need is 40 - 45% possession to secure a good win. Scotland don't travel well either so for me I would say that Wales -10 is definately the bet to take

Could well be right, but I have never bought into this trend of thinking the scots are actually anygood. as far as I can see they won the wooden spoon last year for a reason could well be eating humble pie by this time tomorrow mind!

My first attempt at a tip on the main board - wish me luck! Wales vs Scotland - Wales to beat the handicap -10 Scotland have been very poor for a number of years. A suprising number of people have been backing them as a dark horse but for me they have flattered to decieve. They only won one game in the last 6 nations against what was one of the worst welsh performances I have ever seen. They managed to beat Italy in the world cup only with 6 penalities. Their players are vastly over rated as well. At 10 Parks can do little but kick the thing, their 3/4 are shocking in both defence and attack and on the wing only lamont (who is injured ) and nikki walker are hald decent. Patterson is a good player but not a back 3 player which is where he tends to play... and can't influence the game enough. A question you have to ask yourself for this handicap is when did you last see the Scottish team looking threatening in attack... looking to score tries? Up front Scotland have a decent pack and a very good scrum which may well trouble Wales. Wales on the other hand have some important players hitting form. Hook is making breaks and improving with each game, Henson is in form for club and country, shane breaks from anywhere and shanklin straightens the line far better than parker last week. The pack will miss the athleticsm of wyn-jones but Ian Evans coming in will definately improve the mess of the lineout, as will having Jonathon Thomas on the field for more than 12 mins. Gatland has, for me, pulled a master stroke picking roberts on the wing. Parks will very obviously play the kicking game and so having another 15 on the pitch to cover the cross field kick, and another boot (as back up to the cannons on henson, hook and byrne) should mean Wales rarely languish in their own 22 A number of vital match ups for me. 1. Scrum. wales can afford to go back slightly, or do like they did against England and cleverly wheel it around rather than retreat. For me Scotland will have teh upperhand but Wales managed to cope with Sheridan and co last week so should not lose anyball or fly back at the rate of knotts 2. Lineout. another Scotland strength that Wales have struggled at. ian evans and JT should secure most of thjeir own ball, though there will be some lost lineouts (par for teh course with wales) 3. 10's - Hooks running vs Parks kicking. Park needs a perfect game here because kicking to shane williams, hook, henson, byrne and all and missing targets could see some very dangerous ball being run back. He was off his game last week and a hostile welsh crowd won't help. 4. Centre. The true attacking threat from wales comes from henson putting shanklin or any winger/15 running infield into space. Can the Scottish centres get to grasp with the bombardment of runners? Having seen the Scottish defence last week I would say no Wales confidence is high, Scotlands defence was cut to pieces (by an average french team) and all Wales will need is 40 - 45% possession to secure a good win. Scotland don't travel well either so for me I would say that Wales -10 is definately the bet to take
Great write up,Good Luck Mr Wall.:clap

Re: Six Nations 2008 Didn't end up seeing any of last weeks games but sounds like England, Scotland and Ireland disappointing while the others were better but still not flash. 10pts France -6.5 HT @ 1.90 (Centrebet) Ireland have been panned for their first up effort and although the jury is still out on France they should account easily for Ireland at home. Like the halftime margin on this as France may get a little complacent in the second half and allow the Irish some soft points. 10pts Wales -9.5 @ 1.93 (Centrebet) Can't get excited by Scotland. They could keep it close for a while but Wales should have enough at home to cover. 10pts England -5.5 HT @ 1.90 (Centrebet) Sounds like Ireland were really bad as opposed to Italy playing well last week. IMO England will come out strong after their game last week and with only a couple of penalties in the half time margin I really fancy this. GLA Cheers CK 6N YTD (Settled): Staked 25 Returned 24.85 Bank 99.85

Re: Six Nations 2008 Was going to give a big write up and tip tomorrow about why Ireland +13 was the bet to take. However I am smashed now. Have a taxi booked for 9am and a free ticket (blagged) to the Wales vs Scotland match. So fingers crossed for the welsh game and my bets today are Wales - 10 handicap. Ireland + 13 handicap and a double on Wales and England. If you can find where today went please tell me. Unless you are the ginger girl I spent all night pulling, in which case I thank you