** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

Champions League 23rd/24th October

Re: Champions League 23rd/24th October My main bet for today is based on Barca not to win. Barca is a strong team of course but they should not be too disappointed with a draw in Glasgow as they already have two wins. Rangers are in good form and they should have a good chance for a point or even for a victory. So I will bet on the draw and take a saver on the home win.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Champions League 23rd/24th October

Stuttgart – Lyon

The champions from Germany and France are meeting in Stuttgart with goals to keep their hopes for advancing into the next stage, or taking the third place at least, a live. They had very slow starts of the season, both in domestic championship and in Champions League.

Lyon after the two starting losses in domestic championship, improved their game a lot and won 8 of their last 9 matches and they are unbeaten in 9 matches in a row, if we exclude the two defeats in Champions League from Barcelona and Rangers. Lyon is still without Coupet and Cris, but the forward Fred is fit again

Stuttgart became a champion last season in Germany and instead strengthening the squad they lost several players and brought some average players. I was pretty much convinced that this team cannot fight on two fronts and they proved me that I am right. Stuttgart is currently 14th in German Bundesliga, winning only at home against teams with poor quality like Cottbus, Duisburg and Bochum. In addition to their poor form, they have some important absences (Hitzlsperger, da Silva, Magnin and Boka) which will make this match even harder to them.

Both teams desperately needs points from this match, especially the host team, because if they lose this match, they will have only theory left if they want to go into the next round of Champions League. Stuttgart will try to get three points here and their strongest weapon is the attack line composed with Gomes and Cacao and they know that draw is not making any good to them and even more the weak, leaking defense will force them to decide the match with offense. Lyon also is having great attack, leaded by inform Benzema and they are attacking team also, so goals should not be a problem tonight. I rate Lyon a better team, team with better individuals, with better form and with absences that Stuttgart has, I rate them as favorites for this match.

Pick no.1: Lyon (0) --> Odds: 1.91 @ StanJames --> Stake: 5u Pick no.2: over 1.5 goal --> Odds: 1.38 @ Bwin --> Stake: 7u
I,M AGREE WITH YOU ABOUT THIS BET :cheers

Re: Champions League 23rd/24th October No Rebrov tonight against MU! I think it helps as well for the English side to sweep all the three points in Kiev. I reckon betting on Tevez as any time goalscorer in the match. He scored long time ago this is the time him to do it. GL guys.

Re: Champions League 23rd/24th October well, like the most i'm on PSV and lyon straight wins tonight. stuttgart just suffered a terrible defeat to HSV on saturday and hasn't looked good last few games. it's already showing that they don't have quality or depth to battle on two fronts (actually it reminds me of HSV last year, although they were german champions they really aren't CL class and it was what you would call a fluke) lyon was also struggling for early part of the season, but this is their last chance to bounce back in CL. benzema, ben arfa and govou will certainly cause trouble to the stutgart back line, and i think lyon does have what it takes to win tonight. and while fenerbahce certainly was one of the more pleasant surprises so far (along with marseille and rangers), PSV is very convincing at their home ground for a past few years now. and they certainly do have the quality to win tonight. danny koevermans to score might also be worth a small bet as he's already scored four goals in five matches with PSV.

Re: Champions League 23rd/24th October I will be taking a very small and obvious (perhaps too obvious? :)) double tonight as my only bet for the day. ARSENAL-SLAVIA PRAGUE Arsenal in superb form at the start of the season. They could make it 12 straight wins tonight and I have no doubt in my mind that the players are focused on the task at hand. However a few changes to the team might happen, considering they come up against Liverpool at the weekend and may want to have a few fresh players to that fixture. There is much talk about Walcott playing from start, and even possibly as a striker, though I'm not so sure about that one TBH. Lehmann is expected to be left out again. A win tonight would give Arsenal a great position to qualify for the 2nd round with Steaua to play at home still. Score prediction: 3-0 SEVILLA-STEAUA BUCHAREST Not much to say really. Sevilla is far the better team and should have no big problems to overcome Steaua at home. Steaua did well against Arsenal at home and only lost by a single goal. But they have already lost away at Slavia and Sevilla is much better team. Sevilla haven't been going too well in the league recently, winning only 1 out of last 5 matches. But they beat Slavia at home, and should have enough to win this as well. Score prediction: 3-1 Pick 1: Arsenal/Sevilla (Double) - 1,50 @ Expekt (10/10)

Re: Champions League 23rd/24th October Here's a good tip for anyone unsure of what to play, as once again we are almost spoilt for choice! Man Utd to beat Kiev, Arsenal to beat Prague and over 2.5 in the Roma V Lisbon game. A treble on that is 3.64 If you prefer to look after all yer pennies then a trixie on this coupon is for you! Reasons: Utd are in total dominance in every game since losing 1-0 to Man City, they have come back really strong, keeping 6 clean sheets out of their last 7, I really cant see Kiev troubling us at the back. As for our fire power, its really started to click. Arsenal to be defeated at the Emirates by a mediocre team? No chance, I dont think Asenal will fly all over Prague, But I do think they will eventually put 2 goals past them, same scenario as the Bolton game at the weekend. Finally, Roma, what can ya say eh...They will score, they will concede, I see goals galore in this game!

Re: Champions League 23rd/24th October if I did a resume on my CL betting I'd deffo be in the red. For me it's a minefield, I often run into an unexpected result. So for the first time I might have a go for a 'system' :lol introduced by a friend of mine. He made a killing a few times on these. Basically I'll bet on underdogs, correct scores 1-3 and 2-3 at some fcuked up odds, min stakes. Roma - Sporting 1-3 @130 2-3 @110 Sevilla - Steaua 1-3 @230 2-3 @260 PSV - Fenerbahce 1-3 @70 2-3 @70 let's have some fun eh?

SportFootball (Euro Cups)
EventArsenal v Prague
Selection1/1 HT/FT
Strength10/10
Date23/10/2007
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 1.75 (Back)
ReasoningArsenal are playing fantastic football at the moment and they will want to win their home games in the Champs League. I can see them wanting to make a good start tonight and can see good value in the HT/FT market.

Re: Champions League 23rd/24th October Just thought i'd do 2 accumulators on champs league. Always unpredictable. Asian handicap accum: Lyon -1 Roma -1 PSV -1 Liverpool - 1 Benfica -1 5 on gets 2,181 with paddy power. Other is Barca - 1 Valencia -1 Utd -1 10 on gets 211 Sorry for no explanations, have no time tonight. Good luck.

Re: Champions League 23rd/24th October Is there anytwhere that gives corner stats for free? I quite like the look of buying Rangers multis at just 5 with Sporting. But before getting involved I want to check the stats. I think Rnagers will go for it from the off, helped by a very noisy crowd, and Barca could be weathering a storm.

Re: Champions League 23rd/24th October Half time roundup: Rampant ManU score yet another big win after a mini crisis in front of goal. Arsenal and Sevilla reconfirm their candidate status and it looks like they will cruise through the group stage without any problem. Barca dominate in Scotland as expected but haven't found a way through, I think they will do in the 2nd half. Stuttgart and Lyon are two cowards in a must-not-lose game, too much nervy there even when glorious chances came. PSV and Fenerbahce are playing an even game, the Turks are doing much better than expected. Roma are proving why they are considered a young team in CL, they just don't know how to retain their goal advantage despite being Italian. The second half promises a lot more actions. Enjoy!!!!

Re: Champions League 23rd/24th October Steaua somehow snatched one back while Sevilla didn't seems fancy playing at all. Winning bet turns pretty sour at the moment. PSV with quantity advantage will prevail in the end, they are very good for this sort of situations.

Re: Champions League 23rd/24th October Hugo Almeida and Clementz Fritz have both recovered and will play. Werder is now at full strength. For Lazio even Pandev and a couple of other players are not fully fit, but will play as there are some many injured, that none is left to replace them. Lazio is decent team, but they don't have the depth to be in CL

Re: Champions League 23rd/24th October Just as I expected 2 of my main bets went wrong, lucky for me a late accumulator in Austria and the Championship made my account look much better. I just can't get the CL right at this stage..........As of the Wednesday games in CL: 1. Werder - Lazio looks like a clear home win to me. No matter how tight the Italians will be at the back, Werder simply scorers even with far stronger opposition. Haven't checked the line-ups yet, but with Diego, Frings and Borowski they will control the midfield big time. I just want to make sure at least 2 of them are available. A corner handicap and Over 2,5 goals also look like safer bets ( as nothing is safe with me in CL ) 2. Rosenborg - Valencia is a clear Over 2,5 goals. Surely the Spanish side could seal it with 0-1 or 0-2 CS, yet I think Rosenborg will score- they are strong in the air, good enough at set pieces, dangerous on the break for which I expect more room as Valencia has to win this game. No surprise to me if this game is similar to Man U's game last night, if I am wrong I hope Villa and Silva complete the Over for me. 3. A draw or away win is what I expect in the Marseille - Porto game, though this game would be the last one I would bet on as I want to dig deeper into late match info. 2 wins for the French were a massive surprise, now they face a team so sharp on the break that they have to be extra cautious at the back. A draw here will not be the end of the world for the French, same as the Rangers - Barca game tonight. I still think Porto will nick this one, too much quality in the Portuguese team which some people tend to underestimate. A good bet for me here at 7/10 strenght will be Over 3,5 cards in the game as from what I have seen only a little sparkle in this game is needed to make it a rough one. Similar case to me is the Benfica - Celtic game. 4. Elsewhere I see Over 2,5 goals in the Chelsea and the Real games still I am far from confident at the moment, a reply on these from ALLTHETHINGS would be great. Best of luck .............

My picks for Tuesday: G. Rangers-Barcelona: Rangers have 4 overs in their last 6 games, Barcelona has 5 overs in their last 6. Barcelona is clearly an "over" team, scoring many goals but allowing a few now and then (they are far from impressive at the back). My pick: >2.5 lost Sevilla-Steaua Bucareste: Too much of a quality and class difference here. Sevilla has not been playing very well this season but they seem to be improving lately. Also, they've just solved the issue regarding the maximum number of foreigners in their team and, as a result, got back in the team Uruguay International striker Ernest Chevanton and this means another quality option for their attack. IMO Steaua are the worst team playing in this group stage of the CL. I see Sevilla winning by at least a two goal margin. My pick: home -1.5 AH (Asian Handicap) lost (still can't believe it, Sevilla was up 2-0 and conceeded a goal at home against a team like Steaua :(...) Roma-Sporting: Both teams seem to be in some kind of a "shaky" form lately (Roma drew 4-4 at home to Napoli in their last game and Sporting lost to 2nd division Fatima 1-2 in the League Cup match, while resting a few 1st team regulars). Sporting's flight was delayed, they spent many hours in the airport and they couldn't pratice yesterday. Sporting's new Keeper (Serbia International Stojkovic) arrived late from his National team duties and, as a disciplinary measure, was not called both for the game against Fatima and today's game in Roma. He will be replaced by Tiago who has been at the club for 5 or 6 years now always as a substitute keeper playing only a few Cup games every season. Of course anything can happen in sports but I will be very surprised if Sporting are able to keep a clean sheet tonight. Still, they have what it takes to score a few on a good day...as the value for the Roma win is far too low IMO, I'll take the over. My pick: >2.5 won In the 3 games bellow my game analysis gives me a bit just over 30% (thirty something) chance for a draw so I see them as "value" bets (at 3.20 you need to be correct 31.25% of the time to break even) as their odd prices vary from 3.20 to 3.50: CSKA Moskow-Inter Milan - draw; lost Stuttgart-O. Lyon - draw; lost PSV Eindhoven-Fenerbahce - draw; won (good thing I got it at 3.50) Good luck! JC
Had a small loss today. Tomorrow is another day. JC

Re: Champions League 23rd/24th October Just checked last night's games. I hate to put anybody off the main bets, but in just one out of 8 games there was less than 3 cards ( the Man U game ), the CSKA had 3 and everywhere else 4 or more. The refs are ever so strict in the CL. Odds are far from generous, still better than an away win for Barca last night. Got so confident on those that even placed a combo with Bet365 on Besiktas, Marseille, Benfica and Real, strong singles, and a reasonable doubles, trebles and a four-fold. I can see Benfica odds dropping, but I just can't help thinking that this is the banana skin in this round. I hope the odds go further down tomorrow as I am considering Celtic +0,5. On the other hand I hope not as I can see a lot of you guys going for Benfica while my money 's still in the bank.........

Re: Champions League 23rd/24th October Werder Bremen – Lazio The departure of Klose and huge injury crisis had huge influence of this season’s Werder performances. They are not playing as confident as they did in previous seasons. Their attack is not so lethal and the defense is leaking. After 8:1 win against Bielefeld, everyone expected another inspirational performance from the team and no one questioned taking the three points from poor visitor Olympiakos, but Werder conceded an equalizer and then opened the game and conceded two more. Now, if they fail to win, next stage of Champions League will remain only a dream. Lazio is struggling in domestic championship despite the away win against Livorno in previous round. Still they had some great performances, like that against Real Madrid three weeks ago when they completely outplayed the big opponent. But, Lazio is playing much worse on their away matches and it is not great when the opponent have the possession (we saw what happened when Milan got the possession against them) and tonight Werder will have the possession, without a doubt and they will attack hard, in order to take desperately needed three points. Werder still has many absences, Hunt, Baumann and Carlos Alberto are out and Owomoyela and Wome are doubtful. Lazio will have to play without Siviglia, Mauri and Ledesma. Werder desperately needs win here and Lazio is not good away team and with leaky defense that they have matched with this German attacking machinery leaded by Diego, I think that failure against Olympiakos is very unlikely to happen once again. Pick: Werder Bremen --> Odds: 1.83 @ Bet365 --> Stake: 5u --- Rosenborg – Valencia Rosenborg despite the draw away at Chelsea is not a team that can compete against top European teams. They even are having big difficulties in their domestic competition, conceding a lot of goals and not performing well. In their last match they were completely outplayed and trashed by Lillestrom, but maybe for that poor performance was keeping the strengths for this match. Rosenborg is having big internal problems too. Valencia is having pretty good team for this season composed of many talented players. They started this Champions League campaign very well after undeserved win against Schalke, but then they lost undeservedly, after good performance by trouble-hit Chelsea. Valencia this season managed to win all matches that they played away, both in La Liga and Champions League. Rosenborg will be without they key player Iversen, and Valencia cannot count on Vicente and Edu. Valencia is much better opponent in every aspect of the game and probably they will control the game because they are technique superior team here. Morientes – Zigic tandem upfront supported from pretty good wings will cause enormous troubles to Rosenborg defense. Rosenborg will try to take something from this match with their physical approach, but I think that Valencia is stronger on that field too. The cold weather will be ally to the home team, but Valencia quality should be too much for below-average Norwegian team. Pick: Valencia --> Odds: 1.62 @ Ladbrokes --> Stake: 7u