** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Champions League 23rd/24th October

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Champions League 23rd/24th October Well last night i did Lyon, Man U , Ipswich & Barca and yes again i have been let down by 1 team for the 3rd bet running and i am starting to get annoyed:@ Anyway tonight i am on Benfica for sure they look nicley priced and its a hard ground to go to , celtic short on confidence and a horrible away record in the CL ...So Benfica Win What about Porto can anyone advise on this game?

Re: Champions League 23rd/24th October Werder Bremen to beat Lazio in Group C. This is a must win game for Bremen tonight as they have lost both their previous games in the competition 2-1 at Real Madrid and more surprisingly 3-1 at home to Olympiakos. Lazio have started with two draws a 1-1 at Olympiakos and a 2-2 at home to Real Madrid. Bremen are currently 2nd in the Bundesliga 6 points behind leaders Bayern Munich after 10 games and they have a home record of won 4 and lost 1 of their 5 matches scoring 17 but conceding 9. The only blot on their home record other then the Olympiakos game was when Bayern beat them 4-0 back in August. In their last 3 home games however they have found their form and scoring boots with a 4-1 win against Stuttgart followed by an 8-1 win against Armenia Bielefeld and in their last home game a 3-2 win against Hertha Berlin. Lazio are 13th in Serie A and have started the season slowly, already finding themselves 10 points behind leaders Inter after only 8 games. The form on the road has been steady if uninspiring with a win at bottom club Livorno 1-0 in their last away game the only success to go with draws at 19th placed Reggina (1-1),9th placed Sampdoria (0-0) and a defeat at 10th placed Atalanta (2-1). Lazio will no doubt keep it tight again tonight and this game brings together the classic case of the free scoring home side against the tight defensive visitor. I believe Bremen will win tonight’s encounter as anything less then a win as I have previously said will all but eliminate them from the competition. They are currently best price 5/6 with Ladbrokes for the win which for me is a reasonable price. Also for those of you who like historical trends Bremen have faced Italian opposition 9 times at home and have yet to lose. I personally feel you can read that stat either way and my reason for picking Bremen tonight is more to do with the goal threat from Sonogo and Almeira who between them have already hit 11 this season. Bremen look set to be able to pick from a fully fit squad tonight whilst Lazio have a few injury problems. Midfielder Stefano Mauri and defender Sebastiano Siviglia sustained injuries in Sunday's 1-0 win at AS Livorno, joining Cribari and Ledesma on the sidelines, also Behrami, Mutarelli and Goran Pandev, picked up knocks in the Livorno game but should be fit to play.

Re: Champions League 23rd/24th October Well the Arsenal/Sevilla double came in, not much but money is money after all. ;) Some landmines in tonights games I feel, and will only be taking another "obvious" bet. My only concern would be that, more or less, everyone is on the same page on this one. :) BENFICA-CELTIC Good odds on Benfica IMHO. Although they lost to Shakhtar in their last CL match 0-1 I still regard Benfica as a decent team, and Shakhtar is a team I think we could see more of in the future. Celtic are well known to be poor on the road, they lost the big derby match against Rangers 3-0 and were beaten at Donetsk. Not to mention they lost at Benfica 3-0 in 2006. Home win for me. Score prediction: 2-1 Pick 1: Benfica - 2,00 @ NordicBet (4/10) Like I said, I think there could be some interesting results tonight. Donetsk I think could shock Milan that has looked very "ordinary" this season. Besiktas is another one against a "out of form" Liverpool, draw is very likely IMO, might actually have a go at the +0.75AH later. Chelsea should see of Shalke, they seem to be back on track with their season. Possibly a good double would be with Real that should beat Olympiakos at home. Valencia might find it hard at Rosenborg who always work hard at home, too low odds on AW for me. Not touching Marseille, don't trust them at all. And Werder should have a good chance winning against Lazio, but I don't trust them either after their fall against Olympiakos. GL tonight everyone! :hope

Re: Champions League 23rd/24th October Tuesday had 7 strong favourites. Barcelona and Eindhoven failed. Tonight we also have seven strong favourites (Werder, Milan, Real, Benfica, Chelsea, Liverpool and Valencia). Can they all go through tonight? Which one/s should parlay bettors avoid? I don't know... It's probably best to just avoid parlay bets I guess. My estimate is that the Werder and the Milan games stand a chance of us seeing the favourite team not winning. I haven't decided yet.... Thoughts here?

Re: Champions League 23rd/24th October Well done Arsenal last night by the way! flippin hell! Anyway tonights games are very interesting and every game tempts a punt. Im goin with a treble on R.Madrid over 2.5/3.0, Chelsea to win, and Valencia to win. Madrid game i can see both teams scoring. Chelsea will win, simple as that, and Valencia is a tough one away to Rosenborg who did well to draw 1-1 with Chelsea when really they looked like defeating the Blues. I see enough quality in Valencia to see them through this game. Ladbrokes treble pays 4.04! Happy days! Lets hope!

Re: Champions League 23rd/24th October

Well last night i did Lyon, Man U , Ipswich & Barca and yes again i have been let down by 1 team for the 3rd bet running and i am starting to get annoyed:@ Anyway tonight i am on Benfica for sure they look nicley priced and its a hard ground to go to , celtic short on confidence and a horrible away record in the CL ...So Benfica Win What about Porto can anyone advise on this game?
i played six champs accumulator and got let down by only barca. deep down i know it would be a draw but i thought they would score at least one goal. some higher power is not letting me win that's how i feel

Well done Arsenal last night by the way! flippin hell! Anyway tonights games are very interesting and every game tempts a punt. Im goin with a treble on R.Madrid over 2.5/3.0, Chelsea to win, and Valencia to win. Madrid game i can see both teams scoring. Chelsea will win, simple as that, and Valencia is a tough one away to Rosenborg who did well to draw 1-1 with Chelsea when really they looked like defeating the Blues. I see enough quality in Valencia to see them through this game. Ladbrokes treble pays 4.04! Happy days! Lets hope!
Don't think Valencia will struggle as much as you make out. Zigic and Morientes will cause allsorts of trouble should Villa not pass a late fitness test.. and if he does, it's only good news, imo. I've also got the same treble with b365, but I've only totalled 2.99.. wtf..? :( Got Valencia at 1.53, Real at 1.3 and Chelsea at 1.5.. I've also got two small bets in; Almeida to score first, Werder to win 2-0 at 32/1. Almedia, who is back from injury, should be fresh and is lethal in and around the box, and also from free-kicks. Werder should take the win at home. Besiktas v. Liverpool 2-2 draw at 19/1. Wouldn't trust Rustu Recber to keep a clean sheet, but Besiktas at home should dominate possession and create chances.

Re: Champions League 23rd/24th October I haven't got time to explain exactly why, but I think Marseille (0) @ 1.93, Benfica -0.5 @ 2.0 and Bremen straight win @ 1.80 have to be worth betting tonight. Mayhbe also Chelsea -1 as it looks as if the blue are back into some form now. So I'll have some stakes on those outcomes, GL all tonight :ok

Re: Champions League 23rd/24th October Liverpool -1.5 Huge win for the Reds when they beat their Merseyside rivals. They have had a dip in form but this will bring them back knowing they must wini this game. Look for a fired up Gerrard to prove Benitez wrong and the rst fo the team to follow, especially defensively become more tighter. Besiktas hasn't produced much to say they will worry Liverpool as long as Liverpool come out ot play, like i think they will Porto Too much is being read into Marseille's win over Liverpool who were very ordinary that night. Marseille have been struggling domestically and with the calibre of players that Porot have, they should have enough to win this. Chelsea over 2.5 Great value on the over as Chelsea look like they are starting to gain some form but there is still some concern with their defence given the loss of Terry and Cole. While i like Chelsea winning this, Schalke are good enough with Kuranyi up front to cause Chelsea quite a few problems and get a goal. Valencia -1.5 Too much class in the Spanish side not to go to Norway and not get a comfortable win. Rosenborg are not as good as they were in previous years while Valencia continues to churn out good results with some very good players. After their suprise loss at home to Chelsea they need a win to continue their quest to progress through to the next round. Real Madrid over 2.5 Madrid have some very good players with the ability to create chances and score quite a few goals. Olympiakos showed they won't be easybeats after their win over Bremen and as they both shown the inability to keep clean sheets in their respective previous games, then i doubt they will do so here. Werder Bremen over 2.5 Both sides have shown that they too can score but also do concede and it is another game where the absence of several players should see more mistakes made that normally wouldn't happen. Milan over 2.5 Milan has an experienced but ageing backline and they could face some problems in meeting the Ukrainians who head the grooup with 2 wins. The Italians have been pretty lacklustre in their domestic and european games and while they have the calibre of players to score goals they face a team who can also score. Milan will look to get both campaigns back on track with an improved performance but there isn't much confidence that they will win this as a high scoring draw is possible as is an away victory Benfica under 2.5 The confidence of Celtic wil have taken a battering after their loss to their Scottish rivals on the weekend. Their away form in european comepeition is quite poor and they have struggled to score. They will look to play the first half very conservatively and build on from there in the second half. Benfica are yet to get their first points in the CL and it suggests that they too are struggling. Can't see mnay goals in this game.

Re: Champions League 23rd/24th October Marseille - Porto Pick: Draw @ 3.25 (Stan James) 6/10 Given Liverpool's slips in the CL, both teams have a good chance to qualify for the next round. A Liverpool win tonight and a loss by either team would change this for the losing side. Hence, I predict a very careful game from both sides which will probably lead to a draw of 0-0 or 1-1. The draw doesn't really hurt either side. It is similar to the Rangers - Barca game on Tuesday. Benfica - Celtic Pick: Benfica @ 1.90 (Bet365) 10/10 Last year Benfica prevailed 3-0 in the contest. Celtic were arguably better than now. The Scottish team has a terrible travel record (already lost to Shahtar) and they are coming off a 3-0 thumping from Rangers. It is difficult to see where Celtic is going to get the confidence and form to get anything from this match. Benfica aren't spectacular at the moment, but should be able to get a 1-0 victory.

Re: Champions League 23rd/24th October if Kaka starts and is physically fit, Milan / Milan (HT / FT) at odds of 2.28 betfair seems value to me. I watched Milan vs Empoli match, they seems tired because of international break and without Kaka seems less creative. But they do have the experience in winning champions league matches especially if Shakthar decided to attack rather than defend with 10 men

Re: Champions League 23rd/24th October Hi all, one part of my double is through (Manchester United last night) now just waiting on Werder Bremen whom I fully expect to take all three points tonights due to the many points mentioned earlier in the post. Another bet that attracts me tonight is Shaktar on the AH +1.5 with betfair at 1.6. Ronaldo will not be risked for the Italians and Marek Jankulovski (knee) is out also. Dida is also out after being banned for one match due to his shocking lack of integrity and sportsmanship he showed at parkhead last game out. Shaktar have a very decent attacking team now after much investment over the summer. Thier striker Cristiano Lucarelli has settled in well since his summer switch from Livorno and Mexican international Nery Castillo has the ability to flourish at the highest level. Obviously Milan have the ability and class to win this game but I dont see them winning by more than 1 goal. I think Shaktar also have the ability to sneak a draw. GL to all bets ( mon the hoops ) :clap

Re: Champions League 23rd/24th October My picks for Wednesday: Besiktas-Liverpool: Besiktas has 2 losses in 2 games in the CL so far and we all know it is hard to win in Turkey but with Torres or no Torres I'm betting that Liverpool with "turn things around" tonight and win the game with more or less dificulty. My pick: away win O. Marseille-Porto: Marseille is at the top of their group with 6 points from 2 matches and have a few injured players. Coach Gerets said "the important thing tonight is not to loose". Porto's coach Jesualdo Ferreira also said that a "draw could be a good result" and it would be for Porto. I see a tight game (possibly 0-0 or 1-1) and a very likely draw: My pick: draw Chelsea-Schalke: I think Chelsea is the favourite as they're playing at home and are getting good results lately but I think the odds are far too low for their victory. Schalke is a good team and they haven't lost away from home yet this season in the Bundesliga. I expect a close game. My pick: away +1AH (Asian Handicap); Rosenborg-Valencia Rosenborg is not doing well this season (apart from the draw at Chelsea in the CL) an their form seems to be "shaky". Valencia is a very good team with lots of great players and options for every game situation. I see them wanting to bounce back from the home defeat against Chelsea and getting a win tonight. My pick: away -1 AH; R. Madrid-Olympiakos Real Madrid is the clear favourite but the odd is far too low on them to win, they have a few injured players and you never know what Olympiakos will do tonight (play poorly like they did against Lazio or play great like they did away against Bremen). One thing these teams have in common: they both scored at least one goal in their last 6 matches and they both don't seem very secure at the back, so I see the "over" as very likely. The odds for "over 2.5" are low IMO so I'll risk the >3. My pick: >3; W. Bremen-Lazio Tough one to call. Bremen sucks in the CL but are doing OK in the Bundeliga where they're 2nd in the table. Lazio are not doing so well in the home league but are playing well in the CL and were unfortunate not to beat Real Madrid in their last game. Lazio has a few injured players while Bremen sees several key players returning from injury and getting back into form. I see Lazio playing for the away tie, that would suit them just fine, and try to keep it a close game. My pick: draw AC Milan-Shakhtar We all know Milan is in a very poor form and they have only won 1 home game so far this season (2-1 against Benfica) in official competitions. Keeper Dida will not play and Kaka is doubtful for tonight. I was at the Benfica-Shakhtar game and I must say that Shakhtar impressed me very, very much (I knew from previous seasons that they're a good team but didn't expect as much). They have a good coach, many Brazilian quality players (I was amazed with Ilsinho, what a GREAT midfielder player!!!), they have a lot of team "chemistry" and they play almost with their "eyes closed" (you can tell that everybody in the team knows exactly what to do in every game situation). They are compact and fast in the counter attack with many players giving the guy holding possession of the ball several options... I was impressed. Of course that Milan can beat anybody on a regular day but I see them having a hard time tonight. My pick: away +1 AH; Benfica-Celtic Well, what Shaktar has (team "chemistry") Benfica seems to be lacking this season. Like I said yesterday, apart from a few injuries Benfica has many new players and they're still adapting. Benfica creates several chances every game but are having a hard time to score (in some games hitting the post a few times but the ball just doesn't seem to go in for some reason...). My experience tells me that, because they have the quality players to do it, one of these days they'll get an early goal and things will turn around for the better, with this comes more goals, victories, "momentum" and as a result increased team "chemistry" (its just the way it is). When this will happen nobody knows. Maybe tonight, maybe not... Celtic seem to me like a tough team to face at their ground but inexperienced and weak away from home at this level. I'm risking a Benfica win bet. My pick: home win; Good luck to all. Cheers. JC

Werder Bremen to beat Lazio in Group C. This is a must win game for Bremen tonight as they have lost both their previous games in the competition 2-1 at Real Madrid and more surprisingly 3-1 at home to Olympiakos. Lazio have started with two draws a 1-1 at Olympiakos and a 2-2 at home to Real Madrid. Bremen are currently 2nd in the Bundesliga 6 points behind leaders Bayern Munich after 10 games and they have a home record of won 4 and lost 1 of their 5 matches scoring 17 but conceding 9. The only blot on their home record other then the Olympiakos game was when Bayern beat them 4-0 back in August. In their last 3 home games however they have found their form and scoring boots with a 4-1 win against Stuttgart followed by an 8-1 win against Armenia Bielefeld and in their last home game a 3-2 win against Hertha Berlin. Lazio are 13th in Serie A and have started the season slowly, already finding themselves 10 points behind leaders Inter after only 8 games. The form on the road has been steady if uninspiring with a win at bottom club Livorno 1-0 in their last away game the only success to go with draws at 19th placed Reggina (1-1),9th placed Sampdoria (0-0) and a defeat at 10th placed Atalanta (2-1). Lazio will no doubt keep it tight again tonight and this game brings together the classic case of the free scoring home side against the tight defensive visitor. I believe Bremen will win tonight’s encounter as anything less then a win as I have previously said will all but eliminate them from the competition. They are currently best price 5/6 with Ladbrokes for the win which for me is a reasonable price. Also for those of you who like historical trends Bremen have faced Italian opposition 9 times at home and have yet to lose. I personally feel you can read that stat either way and my reason for picking Bremen tonight is more to do with the goal threat from Sonogo and Almeira who between them have already hit 11 this season. Bremen look set to be able to pick from a fully fit squad tonight whilst Lazio have a few injury problems. Midfielder Stefano Mauri and defender Sebastiano Siviglia sustained injuries in Sunday's 1-0 win at AS Livorno, joining Cribari and Ledesma on the sidelines, also Behrami, Mutarelli and Goran Pandev, picked up knocks in the Livorno game but should be fit to play.
very nice post cheers silver fox got £600 on bremen

SportFootball (Euro Cups)
EventBesiktas v Liverpool
SelectionLiverpool
Strength10/10
Date24/10/2007
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 1.69 (Back)
ReasoningSome may see this as a risky bet which I can fully understand however I think this is a must win game tonight. I also think that besiktas are a poor side who will finish 4th in the group without many points.
Close Window

Re: Champions League 23rd/24th October Fancy A Shevchenko to score anytime tonight 2/1 @ Will Hills, he may not have performed as well in a Chelsea shirt as compared to his Ac Milan days but the man is a champion league scoring legend. He's scored 47 goals so far in his 90 CL games and i fully expect him to bag one tonight.

Re: Champions League 23rd/24th October Going with a few Different Bets I Feel good about... The team I like most to win today is Werder (even more than Real Madrid) I like werder to win this game obviously at home needing this win they are healthy and I think will put on a good display today. Lazio on the other hand have a bit of a injury crisis and I don't see them getting anything in this game, think they will have to wait for the return game back in Italy for a result. Werder 3-1 Second I like Real Madrid and I do like them to win although I think the price is a bit absurd I really do think they will get 3 points here however I would not be shocked to see Olympiakos get a draw here but I think they again will possibly get there result when they play this game back in Greece in a couple weeks. Prediction Madrid 2-1 Thirdly, I Like Valenica, Obvious difference in quality here as Rosenberg are struggling to get anything at home in ligue competition let alone vs a class team like Valencia. Also Iversen will miss the game and he is there top gol scorer. Valencia, who started off domestically a bit slow have turned it on here in the last few games I like them to win, This kind of reminds me of the Man U game yesterday I was a bit hesitant to take Man u only because it was in Kiev but there form and lack there of from Kiev turned into a laugher.. Prediction Valencia 2-0 I also like Shaktar +1 they are flying high right now and I have a very strong feeling they will get a result here Milan are having lots of trouble finding gol Gilardino is Rubbish (he is starting up front today) also Kaka is in the staring 11 which will give them a much needed boost, with Inzaghi starting on the bench. Oher plays I am looking into....Liverpool/Besiktas over 2....and may have a go at a Marseille/Porto Draw. Treble... Bremen,Madrid,Valenica 9/10 Double...Chelsea, Shaktar +1 8/10 Treble...Small stake.... Liverpool/Besiktas Over 2, Marseille/Porto Draw, Benfica. 4/10

Just as I expected 2 of my main bets went wrong, lucky for me a late accumulator in Austria and the Championship made my account look much better. I just can't get the CL right at this stage..........As of the Wednesday games in CL: 1. Werder - Lazio looks like a clear home win to me. No matter how tight the Italians will be at the back, Werder simply scorers even with far stronger opposition. Haven't checked the line-ups yet, but with Diego, Frings and Borowski they will control the midfield big time. I just want to make sure at least 2 of them are available. A corner handicap and Over 2,5 goals also look like safer bets ( as nothing is safe with me in CL ) 2. Rosenborg - Valencia is a clear Over 2,5 goals. Surely the Spanish side could seal it with 0-1 or 0-2 CS, yet I think Rosenborg will score- they are strong in the air, good enough at set pieces, dangerous on the break for which I expect more room as Valencia has to win this game. No surprise to me if this game is similar to Man U's game last night, if I am wrong I hope Villa and Silva complete the Over for me. 3. A draw or away win is what I expect in the Marseille - Porto game, though this game would be the last one I would bet on as I want to dig deeper into late match info. 2 wins for the French were a massive surprise, now they face a team so sharp on the break that they have to be extra cautious at the back. A draw here will not be the end of the world for the French, same as the Rangers - Barca game tonight. I still think Porto will nick this one, too much quality in the Portuguese team which some people tend to underestimate. A good bet for me here at 7/10 strenght will be Over 3,5 cards in the game as from what I have seen only a little sparkle in this game is needed to make it a rough one. Similar case to me is the Benfica - Celtic game. 4. Elsewhere I see Over 2,5 goals in the Chelsea and the Real games still I am far from confident at the moment, a reply on these from ALLTHETHINGS would be great. Best of luck .............
I'm not much help in CL, I'm afraid, since league stats don't tell you the real story. The one thing they can do is give you an idea of a team's tendency, especially on away. For example, the stats suggest overs in Werder-Lazio, but my book's line is O 3, and Lazio is a team that could dictate the pace of this game...it worries me also that so many German teams seem to hold back, play carefully--too carefully, if you ask me--in Europe. Anyway, I am tempted by the O 2 in Marseille, even money. This is the typical game that is overlooked because it's a French team against a Portuguese team on the road, and people expect 0-0. And yet Marseille have given up quite a few goals at home this season...but I won't take this as, again, Porto is very capable of sneaking a goal in the 75th minute and winning 1-0. I have taken: Soccer - Rosenborg/Valencia - total Over 2½ (-102) for the regulation time held on Oct 24 at 1:45pm [pending] Even money eems very generous for this game. The difference in class between Europe and league play is apparent when you see Rosenborg scoring like crazy every game until they host Schalke, and suddenly they are unable to generate much in the play. The key to this game is Valencia's open style and tendency to concede even when dominating a match...the one thing that scares me here is the 1-0 win at Schalke, but that had as much to do with the German tentativeness in attack as it does with Valencia's abilities. The Group B situation is that Rosenborg must gain points at home and will have to score to have any chance of a point in this one, though nothing is expected of them. And Valencia could easily find itself the odd man out with Chelsea and Schalke...goal differential may well prove the key to the second slot here. If Valencia dominates the match they may look to pad the score wherever possible. Those are my thoughts, good luck to all

Re: Champions League 23rd/24th October Werder Bremen vs Lazio Werder Bremen: Wiese, Mertesacker, Pasanen, Naldo, Fritz, Diego, Borowski, Jensen, Frings, Hugo Almeida, Sanogo Subs: Vander, Tosic, Andreasen, Baumann, Vranjes, Rosenberg, Harnik Lazio: Ballotta, Stendardo, Kolarov, Zauri, Mutarelli, Behrami, Manfredini, Meghni, Mudingayi, Pandev, Rocchi Subs: Muslera, Scaloni, Del Nero, Firmani, Baronio, Tare, Makinwa