** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Betfred flash ad causes 99% CPU usage

Hello, I've found that one of the Betfred ads running in PL causes my CPU to go 99%, slowing down my whole system. I have to reload the page and hope that I will get a different ad. My identified suspect is this: betfredor2.png I'd like to know if I'm the only one having this problem. I browse PL using Mozilla Firefox 1.5. Thanks in advance, F.

Re: Betfred flash ad causes 99% CPU usage I noticed the offending ad has been removed from rotation, thanks. Not a problem for me anymore. Betfred ads are somewhat "heavier" on my CPU and sometimes I notice they slow down the computer a little bit, but it's nothing to complain about. Other ads (Ladbrokes, etc.) cause no problem at all. Thanks to all you guys for your help. F. P.S.: (OMG, OMG !!!! Paul Ross posted in one of my theads !!!!!) :notworthy

Re: Betfred flash ad causes 99% CPU usage

I noticed the offending ad has been removed from rotation, thanks. Not a problem for me anymore. Betfred ads are somewhat "heavier" on my CPU and sometimes I notice they slow down the computer a little bit, but it's nothing to complain about. Other ads (Ladbrokes, etc.) cause no problem at all. Thanks to all you guys for your help. F. P.S.: (OMG, OMG !!!! Paul Ross posted in one of my theads !!!!!) :notworthy
The banner is still live mate. :ok

Re: Betfred flash ad causes 99% CPU usage Just seen this thread. I was having awful problems as well, (three days ago now) and couldn't for the life of me think what it was. It never happened before but it has been behaving since. Glad to see I wasn't the only one having problems!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Re: Betfred flash ad causes 99% CPU usage Hi All, Just noticed this thread, just wanted to say, that this is not a flash ad it is a very standard gif ad, the weight is 17k. I am the one responsible for Betfreds online adverts and can tell you that this advert is one of the most basic you will find, i work with them every day and test them on IE, Mozilla, Safari and Opera - they all work fine for me. Not too sure about the problems you have been having but i have never heard of it before. I will certainly look into this for you though :-) Cheers.

Re: Betfred flash ad causes 99% CPU usage Its all Deans fault...he did it on purpose. Seriously though, we'll look into this issue with our banner serving company, it shouldnt be happening! What spec PC are you running? If its one of them Spectrum 128k's then you will have issues! ;) Either way I'll get Ross to sort me out some beers and we'll look into it. :dude

Hi All, Just noticed this thread, just wanted to say, that this is not a flash ad it is a very standard gif ad, the weight is 17k. I will certainly look into this for you though :-)
Hello, I originally reported this problem. I haven't seen the ad for several days now but I'm almost sure it was a flash ad. I'm a teche guy, I usually right click on the ads to make sure it was indeed created with flash. Please note that the pic I posted is just a screenshot of the ad, *not* the ad itself. Finally, it was a vertical scrolling ad, and that kind of ad is usually created with flash. Thanks for your involvement though :clap F.

Re: Betfred flash ad causes 99% CPU usage As with F. I don't think specs are an issue as I have a more than adequate PC. I can't say whether or not the ad was flash based as I never checked but it was the one that scolled the odds of matches. Since moving to the static picture ad, there has been no problem. I also made sure that it was definately the betfred one that caused the problem before I posted by refreshing many, many times to cycle through the ads and checking my cpu level at each point. The BF ad consistently sent my CPU to 100% on both firefox and I.E. hope this helps

Well i don't use firefox or I.E' date=' so i cant comment on those, however, i cant see how a simple Gif file ( of average size ) could consume so many cpu cycles ?[/quote'] Hi, I think I figured it out. There's a similar ad now and I noticed conextra uses a .gif image as a background and javascript code to provide the scrolling odds. Therefore it is a faulty piece of javascript code what caused the 99% CPU usage :spank I have seen it before. BTW, this new ad does not cause me any problem whatsoever. F.

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Betfred flash ad causes 99% CPU usage It's back again :@ As soon as the page loads with this ad on, CPU goes straight to 100% making the whole comp sluggish. I've tested it on 3 different pcs, both IE and Firefox and all show the same behaviour. Offending ad (odds scroll upwards): bf100cpu.jpg Please fix it!

• 2 weeks later...

It's back again :@ As soon as the page loads with this ad on' date=' CPU goes straight to 100% making the whole comp sluggish. I've tested it on 3 different pcs, both IE and Firefox and all show the same behaviour.[/quote'] I noticed it too and finally got fed up. Try a program called Ad Muncher and your Internet browsing will be much faster (including this forum) F.