Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Discussion Thread

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Discussion Thread still seems to work, in the one day warm-up game between oz and eng there has been no streek of even overs longer then 3.... back to the world cup topic though, it's a bit stating the obvious, but windies wickets seem to favour spin bowlers, i reckon the results of todays games will prove that.... edit:

G B Hogg 10.0 28/ 2

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Discussion Thread Nando, good luck with your odd-runs each over theory. Eyes out on storks 6th ball of each over, race to computer/get phone to pick-up their end, bet, relax for a minute or two, eyes out on storks 6th ball etc. Tough. If you want a more relaxed 'system', when it gets to Super 8's, it might be worth a fixed odds on 'under' whatever quoted in runs in current partnership at the time of each drinks break. ODIs seem to deliver a wkt in next over after this break in batsman concentration. No stats on this :\ at all. just thinking + memory. All I can say is that spread merchants or the fixed odds don't alter partnership 'target' at drinks at all. Example. Strauss/Collingwood batting. 55 runs so far together going well. Bet 365 have this partnership at 87, over or under at 10/11. Drinks. Go under. If you do have time to be glued to the screen, be interested in a report of how this pans out in reality. Think drinks, think Pie. Think wicket next over. :loon Interesting Swooperman (who he?) thinks of all minnows Ireland might cause an upset in the next two weeks. They did give SA a bit of a fright in the friendlies, and they are in potentially the most competitive group. It's possible Paks or even Windies could be vunerable in early stages. Note 3rd use of wicket for Paks game etc. Ireland are 15-1 just to qualify for Super 8's. However, spreads have a buy on their tournie runs at 600. It's possible they could eke out 200 runs an innings average against WI, Paks, and Zims (Group D) to cover the bet. Now, if they did progress, then they are guaranteed 6 more games and every run would be profit. [All play all, but you can't play against yourself, and you don't play against the team you qualified with]. That's big bananas :nana Could be a fun way in to the opening salvos of the first two weeks. Whatever happens. Don't think the downside is that big. BUY Ireland tournament runs @ 600 at, say, two quid. :cheers , possibly.

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Discussion Thread Ireland to qualify is 33/1 at Ladbrokes :ok Well, it was, theyve probably lengthened it to 66's once I mentioned it :$ Its by no means a certainty, but if the Irish were to be given a choice of which of the 8 main test nations they could have a crack at on the basis of chance of success then West Indies & Pakistan would have been the choice. They play Pakistan.......on St.Patricks Day :gimme

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Discussion Thread the odd-runs thing worked fine for me so far, though it needs a lot attention ;) u state an interesting theorie there, i'll try to take advantage of this... on the ireland topic, they play zimba first and can be found at 2,6@ bwin i think that may well be worth a shot. though i covered the zimba win as part of two large combinations

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Discussion Thread hi people i put on a few bets just let me know what u think of them. Highest Individual Score In World Cup under 165 i put on 2k odds of 7/4!! i know they are fairly small grounds but no1 really knows how the pitches will play. i also put on 500 double on bemuda lowest score and shand bond top new bowler returns 3500 :D let us know what u think cheers.

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Discussion Thread :welcome Jibby6 Nice to see you have a good look around, hope to see you posting on here in the future...And good luck with your bets :hope I would have gone on the over 165 as you say small grounds and the aussies could have a field day against Scotland and the Netherlands... Football Tipper

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Discussion Thread football tipper if i did over 165 i would expect either an sri lankan or indian batsman to score that v bermuda. if you look at highest scores batsman tend to make 100 maybe even 130-140 you hardly ever see a batsman making 160. odds of 7/4 are too good to miss out on!

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Discussion Thread Matty Hayden scored 181 not out 2-3 weeks ago :unsure Personally I've taken the big odds on one of the big boys getting lowest score as I can see the new grounds in the Super-8's producing a real collapse, but to be a runner then Bermuda need to avoid being skittled for under 80-90 so we'll see....but England bowling them out for 45 obviously isnt massively encouraging :lol Shane Bond stands a good chance mate, but hes injury prone & NZ know that if he limps out of the tournament so realistically do they, so I'd expect him to be rested for one of the games against Kenya & Canada as from memory theres only 2 days between them Good luck anyway

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Discussion Thread really good point there about hayden but after how long did was that 181 scored last time someone had a big innings was ricky pointintg 164 v south africa in that highest scoring ever odi a year ago this very rarely happens in international cricket i would say once a year. hayden has already made that score this year! thats why i think under 165 is a good score.

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Discussion Thread

Matty Hayden scored 181 not out 2-3 weeks ago :unsure Personally I've taken the big odds on one of the big boys getting lowest score as I can see the new grounds in the Super-8's producing a real collapse, but to be a runner then Bermuda need to avoid being skittled for under 80-90 so we'll see....but England bowling them out for 45 obviously isnt massively encouraging :lol Shane Bond stands a good chance mate, but hes injury prone & NZ know that if he limps out of the tournament so realistically do they, so I'd expect him to be rested for one of the games against Kenya & Canada as from memory theres only 2 days between them Good luck anyway
I did think about opposing Bermuda for that market in the knowledge that none of their opponents had a real dangerous lineup. Vaas swings it but he's not going to trouble someone for pace but then India battered the Windies so I put that on hold!! :welcome back Swoops (belatedly)

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Discussion Thread Cheers Kev :ok belatedly me coming back or you welcoming me :lol Looking at the archives, there have been 6 scores over 164, all at different world cups. There have been 8 WCs. We dont know about the wickets thats very true, but the 1st round games are at established venues, only the super-8's are at new grounds & pitches. Obviously it would take something special & I've gone over 400 as a team score simply because the minnows will be played on the better wickets as I expect decent 1st round scores & dogfights in the super-8s. Ponting & in particular Hayden would worry me against Holland & lesserly Scotland tbh. Sri Lanka hold the world record ODI score vs Holland last year

Cheers Kev :ok belatedly me coming back or you welcoming me :lol
A little bit of both :$ ! KP could make hay against Canada and if he gets going Gayle could definitely put Zimbabwe and Ireland to the sword.

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Discussion Thread i think if someone is to make 165 they would only make it in the group stages. i really do believe that sri lanka will skittle out bermuda because they will no doubt struggle v malinga because of his slingy action. to cover my bet i had asked a wide range of bookies to give me a price of a batsman hitting 150 or more in the group stages but no bookie is will to give me any odds on this.

really good point there about hayden but after how long did was that 181 scored last time someone had a big innings was ricky pointintg 164 v south africa in that highest scoring ever odi a year ago this very rarely happens in international cricket i would say once a year. hayden has already made that score this year! thats why i think under 165 is a good score.
Didn't Gibbs make 175 in the next innings?

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Discussion Thread Highest Individual score in The West Indies in a ODI is 152no by Des Haynes v India at Georgetown 1988/89 In addition to the Hayden/Ponting and Gibbs Innings mentioned, Dhoni scored 183 for India v Sri Lanka in Jaipur and Lou Vincent scored 172 v Bangladesh in Bulawayo in the last year/18 months

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Discussion Thread Thought this might be of interest - it's through Stan James: cricket005.jpgPlace a bet on a Top Batsman market in any match in the Cricket World Cup and if you win, we'll credit you with a free bet to the same value for the Top Batsman market in the Next day's World Cup matches. Max stake £50. No doubt Betfair will generally have better odds, but there might be a little bit of value in this offer from time to time, depending on your stake and selection.

Bowler Anderson 'breaks finger'
_42681229_jamesanderson_getty203.jpg Anderson missed most of the winter tour with a back injury
England bowler James Anderson has been taken to hospital in St Lucia with a suspected broken finger. Anderson suffered the injury during fielding practice ahead of Friday's World Cup opener against New Zealand. The 24-year-old has suffered a potential fracture to the little finger on his left hand, which is not his bowling hand. It was not clear how serious the injury was or whether it would rule him out of the first game. Meanwhile captain Michael Vaughan has insisted he is fit enough to play a full part in the World Cup campaign. Vaughan has yet to complete a full match since returning from a troublesome hamstring injury and a year out after knee surgery. "Hopefully I'll prove on Friday that I can get through a game," he said. "I've trained every single day and I've had nothing go wrong with the hamstring and nothing go wrong with the knee and I'm just looking forward to playing." Vaughan knows the New Zealand match - and the one against Canada on Sunday - will be big tests regarding his fitness but he remains confident.
o.gif It's always a great privilege to be captain of England but in my first World Cup as captain it's obviously a bit more special Michael Vaughan
"There is absolutely nothing to suggest I won't play a full part in this World Cup," Vaughan added. Given his injury problems over the past 12 months, every game now will be special for Vaughan and he has admitted the anticipation is more acute than normal as he prepares to lead England. After Friday's opener against New Zealand, England then face Canada on Sunday before finishing their group matches against Kenya, semi-finalists four years ago, on 24 March. "It's special for me," admitted Vaughan. "It's always a great privilege to be captain of England but in my first World Cup as captain it's obviously a bit more special. "I'm looking forward to it as much as the other players. We know it's a big tournament but we're just going to try and play the cricket we played towards the end in Australia.
o.gif606: DEBATE Is Vaughan worthy of his place in the England side?
"We're going to try and put New Zealand under pressure on Friday, get that first game out of the way and hopefully get a victory." England are seto field the same batting line-up who featured in the two warm-up matches with Ed Joyce being preferred at the top of the order to Andrew Strauss but they are yet to decide on their bowling attack. All-rounder Andrew Flintoff and left-arm spinner Monty Panesar look certainties, leaving England choosing between Liam Plunkett, Sajid Mahmood, Jon Lewis and Jimmy Anderson - if he is fit - for the two remaining seamers spots. Were already trying to nobble our own team:(

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Discussion Thread Guys what do you think for Ireland - Zimbabwe now ? After a slow start .. good bowling from Zimbabwe i think.. Bray kept the cances for Ireland alive.. 221/9 is not so bad... i have zimbabwe lay for 1.57 and don't really know what do do know... wait for ireland starting bowling..or just go out with a little profit on both sides ?

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Discussion Thread I think these will take some getting tbh mate. Don't forget the same Irish attack had South Africa in real trouble last week. The pressure is all on Zimbabwe to get these as they are the seeded team. There's loads of youngsters in this side and it will be tough for them. I backed Ireland before the game and I'm still happy to be on them.

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Discussion Thread Records tumbling in the SA v Holland match :loon Herchelle Gibbs hitting six 6's off one over, then Mark Boucher scoring the fastest ever 50 in World Cup history (not sure how many balls, but he's currently 75 off 31 balls!) 323-6 off 38 pvers - might have had a shot at the world record score if it wasn't a reduced overs game. Peaked too early perhaps?? :rollin

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Discussion Thread Listening to the sports news on the sad news about Bob Woolmer. It seems the plot about the circumstances of his death grows thicker and thicker.. foul play is thought apparently they found a broken bone in his neck ???????????????

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Discussion Thread What a thread. Got it all. nando, I know a bookie (well, retired bookie now) who christened his Jag Martingale. Pie-chucker, What price now your pre-tournament tip (picked out in bold!) to buy Ireland runs at 600. They might be over that already, seven games still to play, had they batted first vs Pakistan. When are you retiring? jibby6, Bold bets. The way Hayden's going, 165 might still not be beyond him.

Not much longer as he gets out for 31 off 74...my god...words defy me.
I was that bored with the cricket i came back home from the pub,but the loudest cheer was when Bell was dismissed and that was from me.He was pathetic and along with Vaughan are a fecking joke. Why on earth they ain't promoted Nixon to opener and pinch hitter again beggars belief.Orthodox batters are not required in this game.