Cash Game Buy In Strategy

GB80

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cash Game Buy In Strategy These all sound like succesful experiments... But... I am not sure you can transfer it to higher stakes tables... I think it's a very different game at different levels :unsure For example... I have alwaya been a winning player at $ 1/2 and $ 2/4... But have got my :moon arse kicked several times at $ 5/10 tables... Just my little private warning ...

Re: Cash Game Buy In Strategy Nice to hear all these success stories, but it also comes down to your own overall play, so well done! there is no doubt it gives you a mental edge when you build it up, as you are now playing with other peoples money so to speak. i hope i have in some way redeemed myself from my initial post as we now seem to be getting in to the guts of a strategy that might improve a few peoples games

Re: Cash Game Buy In Strategy

But... I am not sure you can transfer it to higher stakes tables... I think it's a very different game at different levels :unsure
Agreed :ok Whenever I experiment in poker I ALWAYS start at the bottom and don't move up until I prove myself at each level - every time you move up a level, you have to reevaluate your strategy and start from scratch again.... Starting at the bottom though, helps avoid expensive mistakes ;) I think the Chris Ferguson style of Bankroll management is even more applicable when testing something new to you - start at the bottom with 20x buy ins and NEVER buy in for more than say 5% of your buy in :ok

Can you all do me a favour?:hope Bugger off from my 5c/10c tables :@ , these fish are mine! i got here 1st and im laying claim to em, you're all free to play higher stakes obviously:lol :cheers
:lol :lol :lol

Re: Cash Game Buy In Strategy i would concur with entirely - its about changing your mental attitude and being comfortable playing with a short stack that you are prepared to lose if you can do this then you can play at any level (bankroll permitting of course!) Damo

pene it works the same on the 5/10 as that is where i mostly play the 5/10 tables take a bit of getting used to, the first time i played there i lost a few $k but i perceviered and now feel totally comfortable there.

pene it works the same on the 5/10 as that is where i mostly play the 5/10 tables take a bit of getting used to, the first time i played there i lost a few $k but i perceviered and now feel totally comfortable there.
Maybe so... I have only tried going in with slightly less than max buyin... maybe I should try your strategy, but I don't feel comfortable there really... :unsure ... seems like there are a lot of rich, crazy, muppets who take all my money...:lol :lol

Re: Cash Game Buy In Strategy you need to factor in the risk to reward as well tho GaF is it worth your time scraping for a few $ at the lowest tables if you can afford to play the 50c/$1 for instance? Unless I am totally off here and completely misunderstood moles original post, the strategy is to actually play at a higher table than you normally do (or perhaps should) and risk the same type of buy in you might play at a lower table (i.e. a max buy in lower table) with the intention to make money quick and get out by playing TAG and playing only good hands? Damo

Agreed :ok Whenever I experiment in poker I ALWAYS start at the bottom and don't move up until I prove myself at each level - every time you move up a level, you have to reevaluate your strategy and start from scratch again.... Starting at the bottom though, helps avoid expensive mistakes ;) I think the Chris Ferguson style of Bankroll management is even more applicable when testing something new to you - start at the bottom with 20x buy ins and NEVER buy in for more than say 5% of your buy in :ok

Re: Cash Game Buy In Strategy thats why you min buy in Pene - you are risking an amount you are comfortable with at the $2/$4 and so there is no pressure - if you buy into a $2/$4 for $200, then why not $200 on a $5/$10? it's the same amount of cash (and this is the critical thing in this strategy to begin with IMHO - play with a buy in you are prepared to lose) you just have less room to manoeuvre - buts thats ok - you play TAG and then get VERY aggressive with your good hands and hope to get a rich crazy muppet to call you :) good luck girlie Damo

Maybe so... I have only tried going in with slightly less than max buyin... maybe I should try your strategy' date=' but I don't feel comfortable there really... :unsure ... seems like there are a lot of rich, crazy, muppets who take all my money...:lol :lol[/quote']

Re: Cash Game Buy In Strategy Mr Mole Can I ask a (couple) of legitimate questions of you please ?? I will never risk more money than I can afford (which will probably hold me back in the long run) - but just wondered 1.what level you started at ? 2.how long it took you to get to the current 5/10 level 3. how you decided it was time to move up ? Just to give me a feel, if I have any chance of making money at the Cash tables - When I first started I played limit games and worked through the levels - but NLHE Cash I'm absolutley pants !:sad .. and my experiences have put me off, but reading this thread has sparked a little encouragement :clap

Mr Mole Can I ask a (couple) of legitimate questions of you please ?? I will never risk more money than I can afford (which will probably hold me back in the long run) - but just wondered 1.what level you started at ? 2.how long it took you to get to the current 5/10 level 3. how you decided it was time to move up ? Just to give me a feel, if I have any chance of making money at the Cash tables - When I first started I played limit games and worked through the levels - but NLHE Cash I'm absolutley pants !:sad .. and my experiences have put me off, but reading this thread has sparked a little encouragement :clap
i started about 2 tears ago playing 12/25 c limit games as it was only limit games at that time on sporting odds. i cant remember when they brought in the nl games but when they did i had a go and never looked back. i won up to about $3000 at that level over a year. i deposited £50 originally and have never deposited again. at the end of last year i sytarted playing 1/2 nl games which got me up to $6000 at the start of this year. confidence was high so i went straight in to the 5/10 game in january this year it did not work out and i lost $5000 over 4 days. i went back down to 1/2 and got up to $2000 at this point (having lost confidence) i withdrew £1000, this left me with $100 on the 09.02.06. from there i played 1/2 and quickly got up to $3000. it was march when i started playing 2/4 and again was winning consistantly at this point i started withdrawing £300 every friday (which i still do, now upped that tp £500 a week). In april i won qualification to play a 5 man tourney with SO in london which i finished 2nd in and got $1500, this took my stack up to 5.5k. it also gave me no end of confidence.In june i won nearly every day and by the time i went on holiday at the end of june i had $13000 in my bankroll. i tried to move up to the 5/10 game in july and again lost about 5k in 4 days this time i had the roll so i stuck with it. since july i have been winning consistantley at this level wih the odd exception. in the last 2 months i have ventured into the 10/20 and the 25/50 but it is absolutley mental in there had some serious ups and downs at they levels, so i've decided i am not ready for that YET. i am currently playing mostly 5/10 only on SO i may add and i am happy at this level just now. when to move? i dont know its just a feel thing (but make sure your bankroll can take it) i hope this post does not cause any contraversy as i had to mention the amounts so it could be understood.

Re: Cash Game Buy In Strategy OK i have tried the low buy in strategy and It's so not for me. I like my full amount on the table ready to pounce. Maybe I play very tight but I guess its what your comfortable with. Just aswell we wouldnt all want to be the same. I also tried 6 seater tables again and I just dont like them. Which is strange as I used to win a lot of money on them. I now just lose a lot of money. Back to the full stack 10 seater tables for me. Need to win a coule of buy ins back also now.

Re: Cash Game Buy In Strategy Played cash ganes previously several times over serveral months and always always always got my butt severly kicked, never once made a profit never even ever got above my buy in....till tonight:loon Decided to forgo my normal "buy in for the max" strategy and give this min buy in a try and see if it made a difference. Tried Virgin first to see if I could make enough to buy in to the $10 game tonight but only had enough to min buy into the TRY tables, played about 20 mins and quit after doubling my buy in.:loon Then tried SO bought in for $5 and quit after trebling up, then poker.co.uk bought in for $4 and quit after reaching $10+. Finally I tried full-tilt and bought in for $10 and lost the lot but only after getting up to $16.40 and getting it all in on 2 pair post flop against KK who hit a third K on the turn:puke Overall I think there must be something in Moles strategy, at least it seems to work for me. Never made a profit on cash games before and yet tonight I win on 2 sites lose on a 3rd but still in profit overall:ok

Re: Cash Game Buy In Strategy had two days of playing this and a few things that are apparent straight away - and help needed please! 1) the first hand I play aggressively I need to win, otherwise I have lost half my stack (or my total stack) and so every man and his dog is calling my 'desperate' shove the next time I play - this is the critical hand, more so than calling a big bet later when I have doubled up 2) limping - lots and lots of limping from the big stacks, so picking a decent amount to raise and take the pot is tricky however, I SHOVE any pair and AK AQ and AJ on my BB to 3 limpers as the limps are equal to about a third of stack (if I still have about my buy in), so this is a no brainer IMHO? yes/no to this strategy??? 3) lots of any 2 suited limping regardless of the cards from the big stacks (6 3 for instance..... vs my QQ raise and flop shove which of course he is 'bound to call' with some kind of str and backdoor flush draw and hit runer runner) - so should I be doing the same? eg what is the 'lowest' card you would limp into a pot with hoping to hit your flush or at least a flush draw? K Q J etc? 4) lots of ace small limping, and of course they call your raise (KQ for instance) and you are knackered when you flop middle pair with an ace on the flop....... 5) playing against a massive stack - they will call with any two - 3 times today the guy with $600+ called my bets with any 2 for my $30 buy in and I MEAN any two - so how do I play against this? I raised twice with A9 and A8 and he called my PF raises and flop shoves with nowt but hit, and then after the 3rd rebuy and him limping to my BB I shoved AK for the whole $30 PF and called with K6 - so what chance have you got to beat someone like this? - any thoughts most appreciated 6) re-raising all in with Ace small is proving to be a very costly move :sad especially if I still have close to my buy in - I either walk into Ace big (a lot!) or any 2 broadway and am barely ahead and lose - not won one today of the 5 I have played this way - so this is a leak that i have plugged (hopefully) 7) Doubling up: do I cash out or continue to play? yesterday I cashed, today I played a few and with one I nearly quadrupled up at the end - but ended up barely up in the others - so still trying to figure out what my target should be? I think it will be closer to 3X the buy in rather than double before I exit? - what do the rest of you think? thoughts folks? do I cut and run after doubling to lock in a profit? or as mole suggested play a few and go for a bigger pay off as I am actually only losing my $20 buy in and not the $50 I have on the table? 8) playing draws - really tricky and another one that is puking chips away - I limp on the button to another limper with K9s and the flop is Q 10 4 - and its checked to me - do I bet or check? or the SB min bets and one other caller - do I call? and what about OESD or 4 flush draws on the flop - call bets or reraise all in? I have been calling the usual min or 2BB bet, miss the turn and face a pot bet that consumes my stack - now what? - I really need help with these tricky hands as they are costing me my stack (half stack if I fold the turn) 9) you flop a made hand - straight, flush, trips or two pair - bet for value or check raise? or you hit your hand on the turn/river - shove or value bet? eg the pot is $8 and you have $16 left - so whats your play facing a big stack with $100 when you hit your flush on the turn? 10) being bullied - what should you / what would need to call with? eg you are on the BB with KJ with $26 (start with $20) and UTG+1 rasies 2XBB to $6 and you elect to call (everyone else has folded) - flop is AJ8 rainbow - you check and big stack puts you all in for your last $20 or so - are you calling? or you have called with 88 and flop is K 9 3 rainbow - are you calling? about it for now - no doubt there wil bee other questions very very soon! cheers Damo