Cash Game Buy In Strategy

GB80

Re: Cash Game Buy In Strategy

I had a bit of a mad moment last night - I had been watching the big stakes games on FullTilt and felt I had to have a go - I chucked my entire Bankroll into Full Tilt - sat down with $20' date='000 - an hour later I stood up with $1,450,000 - was great!!![/quote'] Yeah but then lost it all to me when you called heads and i had tails. :nana :nana

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a bit of a mad moment last night - I had been watching the big stakes games on FullTilt and felt I had to have a go - I chucked my entire Bankroll into Full Tilt - sat down with $20' date='000 - an hour later I stood up with $1,450,000 - was great!!![/quote'] :lol :lol :lol

I had a bit of a mad moment last night - I had been watching the big stakes games on FullTilt and felt I had to have a go - I chucked my entire Bankroll into Full Tilt - sat down with $20' date='000 - an hour later I stood up with $1,450,000 - was great!!![/quote'] Tut tut Gaf, you should know better, a man of your stature and position of privilege. [url=http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.seroxatusergroup.org.uk/yellowCard.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.seroxatusergroup.org.uk/&h=238&w=200&sz=11&hl=en&start=146&tbnid=17ru6ZSxv9IRMM:&tbnh=109&tbnw=92&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dyellow%2Bcard%26start%3D140%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN]

Here's a slightly different, and probably not particularly useful, question. But interesting, I think. Suppose you don't have an advantage in ability, and you're playing against players exactly as good as you. In that case, should you make a maximum or minimum buy in? My guess is that you probably have +EV by making a minimum buy in.
OK, I've been thinking about this and I give up. I'm assuming this has something to do with picking up equity from calls people are making in multi-way pots with odds you aren't giving them, and from your opponents being unable to take away your own pot odds. But I'm not sure exactly - what's your reasoning?

Re: Cash Game Buy In Strategy excellent vegas is on you then - where do we sign up for the, now free buy-in into the $1000 NL game :) Damo

I had a bit of a mad moment last night - I had been watching the big stakes games on FullTilt and felt I had to have a go - I chucked my entire Bankroll into Full Tilt - sat down with $20' date='000 - an hour later I stood up with $1,450,000 - was great!!![/quote']

OK' date=' I've been thinking about this and I give up. I'm assuming this has something to do with picking up equity from calls people are making in multi-way pots with odds you aren't giving them, and from your opponents being unable to take away your own pot odds. But I'm not sure exactly - what's your reasoning?[/quote'] I did only say it was a guess. :D But running through the arguments that have been given for max/min buy ins, then apart from the ones purely to do with variance, the arguments for a max buy in seem to be to do with maximizing the effect of your superiority, whereas some of the arguments for a min buy in (like the ones you mention) do seem to apply even if you're no better than your opponents.

I did only say it was a guess. :D But running through the arguments that have been given for max/min buy ins, then apart from the ones purely to do with variance, the arguments for a max buy in seem to be to do with maximizing the effect of your superiority, whereas some of the arguments for a min buy in (like the ones you mention) do seem to apply even if you're no better than your opponents.
That might be true - there are non-maximising arguments for having a big stack too tho. You have more scope for reraising, pushing people off pots etc. You have more 'play' in your stack, which isn't only important in terms of implied odds - it also means you can send a greater range of messages and threaten your opponents with much bigger losses, actual and forecast, when you're buying pots etc.

I had a bit of a mad moment last night - I had been watching the big stakes games on FullTilt and felt I had to have a go - I chucked my entire Bankroll into Full Tilt - sat down with $20' date='000 - an hour later I stood up with $1,450,000 - was great!!![/quote'] Grow up GaF :sad

Re: Cash Game Buy In Strategy If regular guy like me would have posted some of the cynicism that is in this thread. I would have been hauled over the proverbial coals (again). What is actually distressing is it coming from mods. I wouldn't dare cry foul or mention double standards ;)

Re: Cash Game Buy In Strategy Jeeeez, I think a lot of people need to grow up today!!! :@ This "Mole-thing" was closed many posts ago... It had to do with forum etiquette about not posting that large amounts. And Mole fully respected that. It was a thing dealt with by PR and Mole... and I really don't see why everyone is getting so upset... Case is closed long time ago!! What GaF did, was trying to prove a point about this before mentioned forum etiquette in a funny way... and he is harshly critizised. Come on... lighten up folks... it's friday night, and noone has to be sad or mad. Life is great :ok

Re: Cash Game Buy In Strategy Pene Will you marry me?

Jeeeez, I think a lot of people need to grow up today!!! :@ This "Mole-thing" was closed many posts ago... It had to do with forum etiquette about not posting that large amounts. And Mole fully respected that. It was a thing dealt with by PR and Mole... and I really don't see why everyone is getting so upset... Case is closed long time ago!! What GaF did, was trying to prove a point about this before mentioned forum etiquette in a funny way... and he is harshly critizised. Come on... lighten up folks... it's friday night, and noone has to be sad or mad. Life is great :ok

Re: I am playing a cash game thread. first all in Hand #437965906 at table: Table TH 237 Started: Fri Oct 13 20:46:01 2006 Venom24 is at seat 1 with 104.85 Mr power is at seat 2 with 99.00 ahllll is at seat 3 with 104.77 robilaruk is at seat 4 with 13.50 claypol is at seat 5 with 93.70 claypol posts the large blind 1.00 robilaruk posts the small blind 0.50 robilaruk: Kh, Jd claypol: --, -- Venom24: --, -- Mr power: --, -- ahllll: --, -- Pre-flop: Venom24: Fold Mr power: Check ahllll: Call 1.00 robilaruk: All in claypol: Fold Mr power: Fold ahllll: Call 14.00 Flop (Board: 3c, Ah, 4h): Turn (Board: 3c, Ah, 4h, 10s): River (Board: 3c, Ah, 4h, 10s, 5s): Showdown: ahllll shows: Qd, 6s (high card, Ace) robilaruk shows: Kh, Jd (high card, Ace) Mainpot: robilaruk wins the pot of 28.50 with high card, Ace, King kicker

Re: I am playing a cash game thread. 2nd all in Hand #437968976 at table: Table TH 237 Started: Fri Oct 13 20:49:24 2006 Venom24 is at seat 1 with 108.00 Mr power is at seat 2 with 98.65 ahllll is at seat 3 with 85.57 robilaruk is at seat 4 with 25.00 claypol is at seat 5 with 96.75 claypol posts the large blind 1.00 robilaruk posts the small blind 0.50 robilaruk: 9s, As claypol: --, -- Venom24: --, -- Mr power: --, -- ahllll: --, -- Pre-flop: Venom24: Raise 3.00 Mr power: Fold ahllll: Fold robilaruk: Raise 10.00 claypol: Fold Venom24: Call 10.00 Flop (Board: 10h, 2c, 3d): robilaruk: All in Venom24: Call 15.50 Turn (Board: 10h, 2c, 3d, 2h): River (Board: 10h, 2c, 3d, 2h, 10d): Showdown: Venom24 shows: Kc, Jh (two pair, Tens and Deuces) robilaruk shows: 9s, As (two pair, Tens and Deuces) Mainpot: robilaruk wins the pot of 49.40 with two pair, Tens and Deuces, Ace kick

Re: Cash Game Buy In Strategy well have played for 10 mins today - min buy $40 just closed it down:ok I really do think it is "the no fear strategy" at work - it is actually only $40 at risk while I play even if i am shoving for $70 or $80 and the big stacks will call coz its only another $50 or so very interesting theory of Moles - will post a couple of HH Damo untitledtj2.jpg

Re: Cash Game Buy In Strategy this was the first hand - and I did think about shoving to the raise, however I decided to call and see what sort of cards people are raising with and hope to flop a monster and double up and #438393746 at table: Table TH 680 Started: Sat Oct 14 13:41:45 2006 gog1 is at seat 1 with 23.73 Leandr0 is at seat 2 with 340.26 GiovanniEl is at seat 3 with 199.28 robilaruk is at seat 4 with 38.00 123Maria is at seat 5 with 47.28 robilaruk posts the large blind 2.00 GiovanniEl posts the small blind 1.00 GiovanniEl: --, -- robilaruk: Ks, Qh 123Maria: --, -- gog1: --, -- Leandr0: --, -- Pre-flop: 123Maria: Fold gog1: Call 2.00 Leandr0: Raise 8.00 GiovanniEl: Fold robilaruk: Call 8.00 gog1: Call 8.00 Flop (Board: Jd, Ac, As): robilaruk: Check gog1: All in Leandr0: Fold robilaruk: Fold

Re: Cash Game Buy In Strategy 2nd hand - I have some to realise that aggression is the key at short tables so it seems an easy raise? thoughts welcome Damo Hand #438394050 at table: Table TH 680 Started: Sat Oct 14 13:42:18 2006 gog1 is at seat 1 with 39.48 Leandr0 is at seat 2 with 332.26 GiovanniEl is at seat 3 with 199.28 robilaruk is at seat 4 with 31.00 123Maria is at seat 5 with 45.28 123Maria posts the large blind 2.00 robilaruk posts the small blind 1.00 robilaruk: Ah, 2s 123Maria: --, -- gog1: --, -- Leandr0: --, -- GiovanniEl: --, -- Pre-flop: gog1: Fold Leandr0: Call 2.00 GiovanniEl: Fold robilaruk: Raise 10.00

Re: Cash Game Buy In Strategy I'm just experimenting with this a bit, at the very lowest level on SO - 5c/10c - buying in for $2 - will leave with $6 (hopefully :tongue2) - playing "extreme" TAG - I'll be 4 tabling - lets see how it goes..... (appreciate the opponents are different at this level - so I'll play with the assumption of (and wanting) calls)......

Re: Cash Game Buy In Strategy hand 6 so far: Hand 1 called a raise Hand 2 raised Hand 3 fold Hand 4 raised (KJ) Hand 5 fold and pick this up in the BB and decide this is good enough to shove with - I am guesing I am starting to appear a bit aggressive with my raise or fold strategy and was not bothered if I got a call or not as there was already $10 in the pot and my stack was $37, so the pot was worth over a 1/4 of my stack even if they folded. so would others shove (amd make up your mind before reading the results please!!) or call and see the flop - I can't see the point in making a standard reraise to $15-$20 as that consumes half my stack - seems more sensible to shove if I am to raise? cheers Damo Hand #438395034 at table: Table TH 680 Started: Sat Oct 14 13:44:00 2006 gog1 is at seat 1 with 36.48 Leandr0 is at seat 2 with 335.86 GiovanniEl is at seat 3 with 192.28 robilaruk is at seat 4 with 37.00 123Maria is at seat 5 with 44.28 robilaruk posts the large blind 2.00 GiovanniEl posts the small blind 1.00 GiovanniEl: --, -- robilaruk: As, Qs 123Maria: --, -- gog1: --, -- Leandr0: --, -- Pre-flop: 123Maria: Fold gog1: Call 2.00 Leandr0: Fold GiovanniEl: Raise 6.00 robilaruk: All in gog1: Fold GiovanniEl: Call 39.00 Flop (Board: Ad, 9s, 9d): Turn (Board: Ad, 9s, 9d, 4c): River (Board: Ad, 9s, 9d, 4c, 6c): Showdown: GiovanniEl shows: 8h, 8s (two pair, Nines and Eights) robilaruk shows: As, Qs (two pair, Aces and Nines) Mainpot: robilaruk wins the pot of 78.00 with two pair, Aces and Nines

Re: Cash Game Buy In Strategy hi Gaf the only way to play at this level from my experience is to shove premium hands PF and hope you only get 2 callers at most..... or shove made hands on the flop and hope to get 3 or 4 callers who are drawing good luck! :ok as I posted on the other thread I have decided on my target: short handed games - play aggressively when I do play (and fold everything else), go for the double up and close down the table once achieved to lock in the profit - so I don't want to be playing for longer than about 20-30m mins on a table for this to happen - so hopefully I wont spew my winnings back and my oppo's wont be able to figure out what I am doing Damo

I'm just experimenting with this a bit' date=' at the very lowest level on SO - 5c/10c - buying in for $2 - will leave with $6 (hopefully :tongue2) - playing "extreme" TAG - I'll be 4 tabling - lets see how it goes..... (appreciate the opponents are different at this level - so I'll play with the assumption of (and wanting) calls)......[/quote']