** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Is this a mistake

sensibleboy

Im just finished 464 place in the Sunday Million on PP and collected $506. However I am a little gutted as could have gone on. The average stack was 50'000 and I had 55'000 at the time. Heres what happened. I pick up 10 K suited , the chip leader raises to 11'000, I call another 7'000 and the flop comes 10 10 J. I immediately go all in as I dont want him to see any draws etc, but to my surprise he calls and flips over J J. Absolutely gutted and was it a mistake moving all in like that> Even so I couldnt have put him on a hand like that. :$ :(

Re: Is this a mistake At that point I would have gone all definatly. However I am not sure if I would have called the initial raise preflop. For me you were not in the best position to call and more patience and in a better position you will pick up better hands where you can dictate the play.

Re: Is this a mistake

1st place was $156'000. Just makes me feel gutted looking at that and even what 2nd 3rd etc would have got. Was doing so well until that point. Got that feeling in the pit of my stomach still. :sad
:sad please don't let that feeling get in the way of your games or else you will find yourself folding when you should be calling/raising and not playing your normal game.:ok

:sad please don't let that feeling get in the way of your games or else you will find yourself folding when you should be calling/raising and not playing your normal game.:ok
Happened to me a few months ago. Confidence was at rock bottom. Glad to say my results have improved lately :ok

Re: Is this a mistake ouch:( as im sure you are aware the pre flop play was the killer, esp out of position. u cant really hit much better than that. think about what you would of done if you hit a 10/5/3r flop? or the king? if you play it pre and hit you pretty much have to carry it through. u call 7000 and leave approx 40000 behind. its 15000 to ask the question and with a drawing flop its easy to put the rest in after. dont be too hard on yourself, that is very unlucky:( i wonder what you would do in position if he had went all in? you would have to call. unlucky on the flop

Re: Is this a mistake the only thing I would have done (apart from folding PF) is to value bet your trips about 15-20K or so, and yes I would have called the AI reraise immediately Damo

Im just finished 464 place in the Sunday Million on PP and collected $506. However I am a little gutted as could have gone on. The average stack was 50'000 and I had 55'000 at the time. Heres what happened. I pick up 10 K suited , the chip leader raises to 11'000, I call another 7'000 and the flop comes 10 10 J. I immediately go all in as I dont want him to see any draws etc, but to my surprise he calls and flips over J J. Absolutely gutted and was it a mistake moving all in like that> Even so I couldnt have put him on a hand like that. :$ :(

Re: Is this a mistake Yeah - have to agree - cannot understand your pre flop play at all - flat calling for 20% of your stack? What on earth were you thinking? Once the flop hits, there's no escape and you're losing all of your chips, but your (bad) mistake was the call pre flop......

Re: Is this a mistake Ok, I had around 60'000 and called 4'000. The thing is, the player who raised to 11'000 was stealing quite alot and I thought K10 suited is a decent hand. Maybe it was a mistake but I had to make another move sooner or later rather than let him steal blinds. I just made the wrong move at the wrong time I suppose. :(

Ok' date=' I had around 60'000 and called 4'000. [/quote'] They're VERY different numbers m8!!! Can you post the Hand History? It's a lot easier to look at from that and has all of the info from the hand :ok

Re: Is this a mistake wel in that case don't call, re-raise - if you are going to protect your BB aginst a LAG that do so PF, not on the flop which will probably miss you Hey - u won $400+ - so you are doing something right, so don't beat yourself up about it - I just bubbled on a STT shoving A10 on my BB to the SB who had raised my last 2 when folded to him - he had AJ - it happens, but it is still the correct play despite the result Damo

Ok, I had around 60'000 and called 4'000. The thing is, the player who raised to 11'000 was stealing quite alot and I thought K10 suited is a decent hand. Maybe it was a mistake but I had to make another move sooner or later rather than let him steal blinds. I just made the wrong move at the wrong time I suppose. :(

it happens' date=' but it is still the correct play despite the result[/quote'] Absolutely agree totally with that and it is the way we should be analysing our hands - not "did I win the hand" as that is "insignificant" (Honestly - in the long run it is) but, "did I make the right decision"? If you make the right decisions, then no matter how many bad beats you receive, you will be profitable/winning (I'm sure there are caveats - like bankroll - but you know what I mean).....

Re: Is this a mistake ***** Hand History for Game 5293327126 ***** NL Texas Hold'em Trny:29490643 Level:13 Blinds-Antes(2000/4000-100) - Sunday, October 01, 20:53:28 ET 2006 Table Sunday Million Guaranteed(846349) Table #38 (Real Money) Seat 2 is the button Total number of players : 10 Seat 1: tonicbarback ( $74373 ) Seat 2: DudeEPants ( $108046 ) Seat 3: peeshypow ( $59282 ) Seat 6: antikiller1 ( $21265 ) Seat 7: thommobhoy ( $55829 ) Seat 9: gazibo88 ( $59120 ) Seat 10: annanc ( $15953 ) Seat 5: kingjer111 ( $56079 ) Seat 4: jokivoittaja ( $44675 ) Seat 8: fluke17 ( $36120 ) Trny:29490643 Level:13 Blinds-Antes(2000/4000-100) tonicbarback posts ante [100]. DudeEPants posts ante [100]. peeshypow posts ante [100]. jokivoittaja posts ante [100]. kingjer111 posts ante [100]. antikiller1 posts ante [100]. thommobhoy posts ante [100]. fluke17 posts ante [100]. gazibo88 posts ante [100]. annanc posts ante [100]. ** Dealing down cards ** Dealt to thommobhoy [ Td Kd ] kingjer111 folds. antikiller1 folds. thommobhoy calls [4000]. fluke17 folds. gazibo88 folds. annanc folds. tonicbarback raises [11001]. DudeEPants calls [11001]. peeshypow calls [9001]. jokivoittaja folds. thommobhoy calls [7001]. ** Dealing Flop ** [ Th, Jd, Ts ] peeshypow checks. thommobhoy is all-In [44728] tonicbarback folds. DudeEPants raises [89456]. peeshypow folds. ** Dealing Turn ** [ 3s ] ** Dealing River ** [ 6c ] DudeEPants shows [ Jc, Jh ] a full house, Jacks full of tens. thommobhoy shows [ Td, Kd ] three of a kind, tens. DudeEPants wins 44728 chips from side pot #1 with a full house, Jacks full of tens. DudeEPants wins 138460 chips from the main pot with a full house, Jacks full of tens. Player thommobhoy finished in 464 place and received $506

Ok' date=' I had around 60'000 and called 4'000. The thing is, the player who raised to 11'000 was stealing quite alot and I thought K10 suited is a decent hand.[/quote'] He had 2 callers before it got to you!!! So you were 4th one into the pot....... It could be argued that this starts to give you some decent pot odds to be making a call, however I wouldn't want to get involved with 3 opponents with KT, out of position, for such a large portion of my stack......

He had 2 callers before it got to you!!! So you were 4th one into the pot....... It could be argued that this starts to give you some decent pot odds to be making a call, however I wouldn't want to get involved with 3 opponents with KT, out of position, for such a large portion of my stack......
totally agree which is what i said in an earlier post. You had good chips. You would have got better hands in better positions. However its a good job we al dont play the same. :ok

Re: Is this a mistake Agree this preflop call was too much. But want to add that I'd have checked the flop too. If he's a LAG player stealing he's almost certainly going to put in a continuation bet here on a paired board, which gives you the opportunity to re-raise all-in. He's likewise going to bet the open-ended anyway in the unlikely event he has one - so the check doesn't give him a free card it gives you the opportunity to raise the pot and take more from him with your trips, which you will be assuming are a long way ahead. It increases risk of busting slightly in so far as he might be more inclined to call your all-in with more in the pot from the sandbag, but he still won't have odds and is unlikely to have an open-ended draw anyway. Basically it only makes you very slightly more likely to bust and much less so than attempting to win those chips thru subsequent play. So I'm happy to give him a chance to pay me more, and he almost certainly will. In fact the only hand I really see him checking here is the boat - which has you beat anyway. Edit: Just saw the hand history and the 2 callers - feel even more strongly it was a bad call pre-flop. I'm also now unsure about the above on account of the fact he might be unwilling to put in a continuation bet against that many players. You might have some kind of odds on hands like suited connectors/medium pairs in this pot, but KT is a horrible hand to be calling in a 4 way pot, especially in a tournament. You really need to be hitting trips or a straight or something to make it pay, because even if you hit your pair there's an excellent chance you're behind and about to get knocked out on account of a weak kicker.

Re: Is this a mistake yeah the hand history is interesting. what the other 2 were doing calling off large chunks of their stacks and folding the flop?? anyway, what i said in 1st post. think about what you are playing these cards for in a 4 way pot! if you hit a 10 high flop are you good? if you hit a k high flop are you good? the only strength these hands have out of position is the chance you hit the str8 or flush and calling off a fifth of your hand to do so is a losing strategy. every time you enter a pot with a decent stack in nl hold em you stand to lose it all and all the time and money invested, your call pre flop was ok, the raise and the 2 subsequent calls were enough to include implied odds in your call, however out of position and all those players and a good stack and position in the tourney i would of made a fold therefore only losing 4000 in the hand. position is the killer and although the trip 10's is a great flop , if say your are up against KQ you are only a very slight favourite, against a/10 and jj a big dog and ahead of mid pairs etc, i feel q/q k/k and aa would have played this differently pre flop