Australian A League Round 5 - 21st/24th

This weeks round of A League begins on Thursday night with the Knights vs Sydney clash in New Zealand.

Round 5

Thursday 21st 6:00:00 PM

X

NEW ZEALAND KNIGHTS

$4.75

$3.40

$1.70

SYDNEY FC

Friday 22nd 8:00:00 PM

X

QUEENSLAND ROAR

$2.30

$3.25

$2.85

ADELAIDE UNITED

Saturday 23rd 7:00:00 PM

X

CC MARINERS

$2.35

$3.20

$2.80

NEWCASTLE JETS

Sunday 24th 5:00:00 PM

X

PERTH GLORY

$3.00

$3.20

$2.25

MELBOURNE VICTORY

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Australian A League Round 5 - 21st/24th New Zealand Knights v Sydney FC Thursday 21 September, 8.00pm NZST (6.00pm AEST, 5.30pm ACST, 4.00pm AWST) North Harbour Stadium, Auckland (NZ) New Zealand Squad:1. Danny Milosevic (gk); 2. Darren Bazeley, 4. Che Bunce, 6. Neil Emblen, 7. Richard Johnson, 8. Scot Gemmill, 9. Dani Rodrigues, 10. Sean Devine, 11. Jonti Richter, 14. Malik Buari, 15. Adam Casey, 16. Noah Hickey, 17. Frank van Eijs, 18. Michael White, 19. Sime Kovacevic, 20. Michael Turnbull (gk), 23. Franco Parisi *two to be omitted In: Adam Casey (return from virus) Out: Unchanged Unavailable: Matt Carbon (groin – 2 weeks), Jonas Salley (ankle – 3 weeks), Greg Duruz (groin – 1 week) Sydney FC Squad: 1. Clint Bolton (gk), 2. Iain Fyfe, 4. Mark Rudan (captain), 6. Ufuk Talay, 8. Ruben Zadkovich, 9. David Zdrilic, 11. Sasho Petrovski, 13. Jeremy Brockie, 14. Alex Brosque, 15. Terry McFlynn, 16. Mark Milligan, 20. Justin Pasfield (gk), 21. Nikolai Topor-Stanley, 22. Matthew Bingley, 27. Joel Thiessen In: Jeremy Brockie & Joel Theissen (both promoted) Out: 3. Alvin Ceccoli (omitted), 10. Steve Corica (suspended – 1 week*) Note: Ceccoli omitted for disciplinary reasons for telling Manager Terry Butcher to "fcuk off" during last Sunday's game Unavailable: 12. David Carney (shoulder – 9 weeks), Jacob Timpano (groin – 2 weeks), Robbie Middleby (collarbone – 6 weeks) * Pending Tribunal appearance

Re: Australian A League Round 5 - 21st/24th New Zealand Knights Vs Sydney FC Thursday 21st September 2006

Past matches

29-Jul-06

A-League

NZ Knights

0 - 0

Sydney FC

30-Dec-05

A-League

NZ Knights

2 - 2

Sydney FC

21-Oct-05

A-League

Sydney FC

2 - 0

NZ Knights

2-Sep-05

A-League

NZ Knights

1 - 3

Sydney FC

23-Jul-05

A-League

Sydney FC

3 - 1

NZ Knights

Past 8 Games

matches

won

draw

lost

goals

NZ Knights

home

6 - 11

Sydney FC

away

12 - 12

Facts and Figures As bad as the Knights were last season, they have only lost 2 of their last eight games at home and have drawn five, which includes two draws with Sydney which ended 0-0 and 2-2. This season they have been much better and have a win over highly rated Adelaide at home in Round 2 after a spectacular 88min goal from Buari. Sydney have only won 2 of their last eight games away and their last away win was in July against Queensland, and before that it was Perth in January, not great away form to be taking $1-70 odds about the win. For the Knights, defender Greg Duruz has made a good recovery from his groin injury and may be a late inclusion in the squad, adding vital experience in a match that assumes greater importance given recent results. Adam Casey and Michael White also appear to be over their minor concerns and Noah Hickey and Dani Rodrigues will be better for their time on the park against the Roar as they return from more serious injuries. For Sydney, Corica will be out for a couple of games and will be sorely missed and reports of unhappiness in the Sydney camp with Manager Terry Butcher does not auger well for a successful trip overseas to New Zealand. Current Odds

X

NZ Knights

$4.75

$3.40

$1.70

Sydney FC

Conclusion New Zealand battled it out well in the second half last week against Melbourne after they were 3 goals down before half-time, whereas Sydney never looked dangerous last week in the second half when the Jets shut them down in the forward half. If the Knights use the same tactics against Sydney that they used against Adelaide then they are well capable of pinching another draw here against the highly rated Sydney. Logic says Sydney should win, but logic is illogical sometimes and I wouldn't be taking Sydney at $1-70 after there effort last Sunday when the Jets managed to scramble a draw out of them, along with the current internal trouble. I think the Knights are better value at $4-75, but considering New Zealand have never beaten Sydney in the A League, the better option for me would be to take New Zealand in the +1 Handicap with Draw at $2-05. These two teams have drawn their last 2 games when playing at New Zealand's home ground, so a one goal head start to the Knights seems better than Sydney straight out to me. I will only be having small stakes on this game as Sydney could well blow them away, but they havn't blown anyone away lately. BET New Zealand Knights +1 Handicap with Draw @ $2-05 Edit: That should be +1 handicap with Draw :)

Re: Australian A League Round 5 - 21st/24th I have picked the same stuff as yours mate ;) Couldn't agree more with your write up, with NZ showing strong performances @ home and Syd current state, it worth a punt ! I personally was going for the draw but I guess this one is safer. :hope:hope:hope

Re: Australian A League Round 5 - 21st/24th The draw is good odds at $3-40 considering their recent games but I was checking some stats and Sydney has scored every game this season while the Knights have scored just once. NZ's Jonti Richter had 2 golden chances early last week against Melbourne but lack of finishing skill seen him miss both, and the Knights were competitive in the second half. Guess my thinking is if Sydney happen to win by the odd goal then I won't lose my money, cos realistically Sydney should beat New Zealand if all things were equal, but I'm not impressed with Sydney's current efforts. Sydney have not won a game since Dwight Yorke left for Sunderland. Sydney's last two games have been 2-2 against Jets (Beaten 5-1 by Adelaide round 3) and 1-1 with Perth (Beaten 3-0 by Queensland round 3) so form is nothing to write home about. The only real good side Sydney has played has been Melbourne, and they lost that game, plus they also have forward Corica out after being red carded last week. Sydney also have a disiplinary problem with seven of there players having been awarded 11 cards so far in only 4 rounds, including 2 send offs. Having said that, the Kinghts have lost their last two games 3-0 and 5-0 but it was against Melbourne and Adelaide. Asking a lot for the Knights to beat Sydney, but the draw or 0-1 result is not out of the question. Hopefully Sydney argue with the Manager all weekend :cheers

Re: Australian A League Round 5 - 21st/24th

christ I've just looked into this forum for the first time I think. :loon these A league threads are going well, nice work beejay :ok
Thanx Meatman...Try to get as much info in here as possible to help people decipher a game correctly as this league can be a bit unpredictable at times...Been good so far this season tho with 90% of matches going to plan so my punting been successful here in Oz recently. BTW it's almost Friday again and means France Ligue 2 is almost upon us again and look forward to venturing over tho your thread as it is always a good read :cheers

Thanx Meatman...Try to get as much info in here as possible to help people decipher a game correctly as this league can be a bit unpredictable at times...Been good so far this season tho with 90% of matches going to plan so my punting been successful here in Oz recently. BTW it's almost Friday again and means France Ligue 2 is almost upon us again and look forward to venturing over tho your thread as it is always a good read :cheers
aye cheers mate, yeh always a lively thread. ;) keep up the good work here. For the moment, I wont be betting in many other leauges (just a plan I have currently) but in the future I shall probably fancy a bit of aussie footie. GL :hope

Re: Australian A League Round 5 - 21st/24th Though these stats might make for an interesting read... Team stats: Shots

Team On goal On posts Wide Total Accuracy
1 Perth Glory 64 0 33 97 66. %
2 Queensland 57 1 23 81 71.6 %
3 Adelaide Utd 54 1 28 83 66.3 %
4 Melbourne Vict 48 0 13 61 78.7 %
5 CC Mariners 47 0 17 64 73.4 %
6 Newcastle Jets 46 1 24 70 65.7 %
7 Sydney FC 45 0 17 62 72.6 %
8 NZ Knights 36 0 19 55 65.5 %
Sydney are surprisingly low on shots for goal and wowuldn't have thought Perth would have been on top.

Re: Australian A League Round 5 - 21st/24th Taking it a bit further... Team Goals per shot on goal

Team

On goal

Goals

Strikerate

Queensland

19.30%

Melbourne Vict

18.75%

Adelaide Utd

14.81%

Sydney FC

13.33%

Perth Glory

4.69%

Newcastle Jets

4.35%

NZ Knights

2.78%

CC Mariners

0.00%

Queensland, Melbourne, Adelaide and Sydney clearly better goal scoring results per shot on goal than the bottom four teams. Looking at those figures it is going to be hard for the Knights to score too many against Sydney, considering Sydney's proficient defence.

Re: Australian A League Round 5 - 21st/24th Lets just hope NZ defence being stubborn today :hope Plus Syd FC attack won't bite as hard as it was when Yorke, Corica, Carney playing, I really think the absences of those three affect Sydney attacking force a lot. And yes Beejay mate, lets hope the players still barney with their managers ! :rollin:rollin A bit mean I know, but can't help it for the sake of our bet :lol

Lets just hope NZ defence being stubborn today :hope Plus Syd FC attack won't bite as hard as it was when Yorke, Corica, Carney playing, I really think the absences of those three affect Sydney attacking force a lot. And yes Beejay mate, lets hope the players still barney with their managers ! :rollin:rollin A bit mean I know, but can't help it for the sake of our bet :lol
Hahaha mean is good! Just hope the Sydney players havn't got their Laptops with them reading this lol. You are spot on with the 3 players missing, I think Carney is the biggest loss. Only 2 and a bit hours away from kick off :gimme

Lets just hope NZ defence being stubborn today :hope Plus Syd FC attack won't bite as hard as it was when Yorke, Corica, Carney playing, I really think the absences of those three affect Sydney attacking force a lot. And yes Beejay mate, lets hope the players still barney with their managers ! :rollin:rollin A bit mean I know, but can't help it for the sake of our bet :lol
i'm buying unders for this game... :hope quite a change for my usual Overs... before it was.. 'GOAL! GOAL! GOAL!' now its.... 'NO GOAL!,NO GOAL!,NO GOAL!' lol

Re: Australian A League Round 5 - 21st/24th Just got home Dark... Seen last 10 minutes of first half and the Knights are serving it up to Sydney. Anyone who has taken the $1-70 on Sydney should be worried cos they don't look like scoring anytime soon, neither do the Knights tho lol HT: New Zealand Knights 0 - 0 Sydney FC

Just got home Dark... Seen last 10 minutes of first half and the Knights are serving it up to Sydney. Anyone who has taken the $1-70 on Sydney should be worried cos they don't look like scoring anytime soon, neither do the Knights tho lol HT: New Zealand Knights 0 - 0 Sydney FC
Hahahahaha, I got home late and threw 10 down on the Sydney win, blindly based on the assumption that they win more than the lose and KFC lose more than they win, :@ not happy now, wtf is up a Sydney, Butcher could not screw it up that quick!

Re: Australian A League Round 5 - 21st/24th 0 - 0 HT. Hows the match looking Beejay ? I dont have foxtel here :( From A league live scoring website, it seems the possesion is quite balanced with some occassion NZ is leading the possesion while most of the time Sydney is leading. However, the margin isn't that big most of the time in terms of possesion. Also Sydney have more shots on goals, were they looking dangerous ? Sadly, statistisc showing NZ knight attack didn't bite at all ! but once again those only figure, and I'm not watching the match myself. So yeah some some insight would be nice hahaha :D EDIT : Ooops my bad, I guess when I was typing, you guys must have been posting. Just saw the post before.

i'm buying unders for this game... :hope quite a change for my usual Overs... before it was.. 'GOAL! GOAL! GOAL!' now its.... 'NO GOAL!,NO GOAL!,NO GOAL!' lol
So far so good for the +1 Handicap with Draw on New Zealand and Sydney have to score 2 goals for me to lose, and that is looking unlikely as the Knight's defence is shutting them right down and Sydney do not have many targets up front at all. I am assuming you went unders for

0 - 0 HT. Hows the match looking Beejay ? I dont have foxtel here :( From A league live scoring website, it seems the possesion is quite balanced with some occassion NZ is leading the possesion while most of the time Sydney is leading. However, the margin isn't that big most of the time in terms of possesion. Also Sydney have more shots on goals, were they looking dangerous ? Sadly, statistisc showing NZ knight attack didn't bite at all ! but once again those only figure, and I'm not watching the match myself. So yeah some some insight would be nice hahaha :D EDIT : Ooops my bad, I guess when I was typing, you guys must have been posting. Just saw the post before.
No probs... I will be atching second half live, only seen last ten minutes of first half. Commentators said said Sydney were falling down in attack with little or no targets to kick to...Sydney had a good chance just before half-time but couldn't convert. The Knights have had a few forward thrusts and almost pinched one, so I would say Sydney is capable of getting a goal, but will they? Knights are trying hard and if they can find a finisher then they too are quite capable of scoring one.

Hahahahaha' date=' I got home late and threw 10 down on the Sydney win, blindly based on the assumption that they win more than the lose and KFC lose more than they win, :@ not happy now, wtf is up a Sydney, Butcher could not screw it up that quick![/quote'] Not sure what's up with Sydney Miguel. Maybe the loss of Carney and Yorke has hurt them. They seem to defend well but don't really look like scoring when they go forward, even tho they have scored every game so far :) On the 10 minutes I seen I am expecting a 0-0 draw in the end, but Sydney were a good side last season and they can conjur up a goal if they put there minds to it. Knights defending really well, very physical and relentless.

Re: Australian A League Round 5 - 21st/24th Second half underway in New Zealand and the Knights into attack...Sydney is on a 4 day break between games and a trip accross the Tasman so they should tire late in the game. Miguel what did you think of the news today that Melbourne moving most of their home games to Telstra Stadium?...Gonna be home crowds of 40,000 or more, gotta be good for the game.

Second half underway in New Zealand and the Knights into attack...Sydney is on a 4 day break between games and a trip accross the Tasman so they should tire late in the game. Miguel what did you think of the news today that Melbourne moving most of their home games to Telstra Stadium?...Gonna be home crowds of 40,000 or more, gotta be good for the game.
hmm... what if Knights scored a goal and defend? seem like they have a hard defence

Re: Australian A League Round 5 - 21st/24th Melbourne at Telstra Dome is a tricky one, I'm all for the growth and making money while the going is good but if Melbourne slump 14,000 in a 50,000 seat stadium is going to look bad. But if Melbourne can master the surface at the dome which is sand with small tufts of grass here ad there for those who have not been, they could build a home fortress there as other teams will struggle to come to terms with the irregular bounce of the ball and also the low lights that seem to make it hard for high balls and for the keepers. From a members point of view it sucks as we will be further from the action and for week-to-week games, that removes some of the ability to pick up the small features and skills of the game as well as indivudual player form. It's either going to be the greatest move ever or it will haunt us for years and years to come, massive gamble over-all, I just hope Melbourne can keep winning and keep intertest high