** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

New FIFA Rankings released

Re: New FIFA Rankings released

Talk about absurd. How the hell is this an "improved" formula when you have wrong teams ranked above/below other nations :wall
i think you're being a bit harsh there mate - after all, can you honestly say that Honduras being ranked 38th in the world is wrong? :unsure:lol

i think you're being a bit harsh there mate - after all' date=' can you honestly say that Honduras being ranked 38th in the world is wrong? :unsure:lol[/quote'] No idea how Canada can be ranked above South Korea or Angola. Guinea at #24? Come on now

No idea how Canada can be ranked above South Korea or Angola. Guinea at #24? Come on now
:lol its all quite laughable really - i'd like to be the office-monkey doing all these figures. Chances are he's on a packet for compiling one of the worlds most useless statistics.

No idea how Canada can be ranked above South Korea or Angola. Guinea at #24? Come on now
I think we should have a giant world cup league where everyone plays each other home and away, then we'd know for sure and we could do away with formulae and all that shite. I think we could do it in about errrm 8 years:unsure To be fair, it's useless. The best from each confederation usually make it to the world cup so you may aswell just go off that.

Re: New FIFA Rankings released Hopefully they will start reviewing how many countries qualify from each continent as well now. Either that or start explaining how teams ranked 81st can qualify for a world cup, I think the africans and asians had 10 teams between them didnt they and 1 team got through to the second round? Pathetic. All this while Colombia, Denmark, Turkey, Greece and Uruguay sit at home. Also how can the Faroe Islands be ranked 30odd places below St Vicent, Palestine, Vietnam, Vanatu and Myanmar etc :eek

Re: New FIFA Rankings released We'll have to agree to disagree then there mate. I just think that with teams like Togo, Saudis, Trinidad etc the world cup is far far worse for it. More poorer teams are advancing to later stages and more teams are only going there to shut up and play for a 0-0. No one can justify a Trinidad V Bahrain play off for a world cup place while a Uruguay V Australia and Spain V Turkey (or whoever it was) goes on at the same time. I look forward to the euros more now because its a stronger tournament, if only we could invite Brazil and Argentina over with the strongest european 14 teams for a tournament you would have the best month of football ever known where every single game would matter.

We'll have to agree to disagree then there mate. I just think that with teams like Togo, Saudis, Trinidad etc the world cup is far far worse for it. More poorer teams are advancing to later stages and more teams are only going there to shut up and play for a 0-0. No one can justify a Trinidad V Bahrain play off for a world cup place while a Uruguay V Australia and Spain V Turkey (or whoever it was) goes on at the same time. I look forward to the euros more now because its a stronger tournament, if only we could invite Brazil and Argentina over with the strongest european 14 teams for a tournament you would have the best month of football ever known where every single game would matter.
Well said Matt, it is true, the Euro is a much more competitive tournament, and there are avenues to get in to the world cup which just don't make sense. Even Iran has qualified for the last three consecutive tournaments when teams such as Holland, Turkey, Uruguay, Ireland, Greece, Denmark, Portugal, Cameroon, Nigeria, South Africa, Morocco, Belgium or even Russia have missed out at some stage. The World Cup does not feature the top 32 nations in the world, but at the same time I do not think it can, there will always be weaker teams participating as it is the world game and we need nations from all over the world competing to make it the grand event that it is.

Re: New FIFA Rankings released Let's face it...the bit really hard to understand is England being 5th!! How about the following to be ranked above them (and I know four of them are: Italy France Germany Portugal Brazil Argentina Spain Holland Denmark Sweden Greece Mexico

Re: New FIFA Rankings released I don't see much wrong with these rankigns to be honest. Sure you can argue about the order a little, but don't think anyone would dispute these are the top ten teams in the world

1 Brazil1630 0 equal.gif803
2 Italy1550 11 up.gif822
3 Argentina1472 6 up.gif726
4 France1462 4 up.gif713
5 England1434 5 up.gif693
6 Netherlands1322 -3 down.gif554
7 Spain1309 -2 down.gif553
8 Portugal1301 -1 down.gif551
9 Germany1229 10 up.gif533
10 Czech Republic
On a personal note, happy to scotland making the climb back to respectful positions up 18 places to 41, finally starting to put the Vogts era behind us. Although the Euro qualifying is going to be very difficult, we have to play both the world cup holders, and the losing finalist, hardly an easy group, and pretty daming inditment of uefas seeding that these two teams can be in the same group. My adopted home team on NZ, move up a place to joint 117, I think that makes us the highest ranked team in our confederation, and in with a shot of play off against the 5th placed south american team, now the aussies have joined asia.

Re: New FIFA Rankings released Why is it so hard to believe that England are 5th? Were they not the closest team to not make it to the semis (top 4 teams in the world?) as they lost on a penalty shoot-out (alongside Argentina) Obviously they played poor, unattractive football. But this table is surely about effective football - ie getting results, and England got to the last 8 of the world cup. I have more problems with Guinea being 24th!! That simply doesn't make sense. Where did they pick up more points than Ghana in the last two months??

Re: New FIFA Rankings released I agree with fools (twice in a week now:unsure) I can't see much argument with those being the top 10 teams. Fair enough you could quibble over the exact order, or make 1 or 2 changes but overall it's a pretty fair reflection. I can't see any argument for putting Denmark, Sweden, Greece or Mexico above England, let alone in the top 10. It's now 2 years since the Greeks won Euro 2004 and they've done nothing since. Of course the European championship is much stronger than the world cup, but that reflects the depth of European football in general. IMO sides like Macedonia and even Scotland would probably qualify for the world cup from the African or Asian group. But the world cup is just that, and you have to have a strong contingent from the 'lesser' confederations to make it a truly worthwhile competition. I don't think swapping a lesser European nation for an Asian or African one would make a great deal of difference to the overall outcome, regardless of the relative quality of those sides.

Why is it so hard to believe that England are 5th? Were they not the closest team to not make it to the semis (top 4 teams in the world?) as they lost on a penalty shoot-out (alongside Argentina) Obviously they played poor, unattractive football. But this table is surely about effective football - ie getting results, and England got to the last 8 of the world cup. I have more problems with Guinea being 24th!! That simply doesn't make sense. Where did they pick up more points than Ghana in the last two months??
err....because the team that got to the semis by knocking them out, Portugal, drop one place AND were overtaken by England!!