** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **

How do I maximise my AA vs a shortie

robilaruk

Shortie lost most of his stack about 3 hands before to a FH (no idea what he had?) so how best to play this Hand #341024655 at table: 5 Player $100 NL Started: Sat Jun 24 11:11:23 2006 ulrikdk is at seat 1 with 2400.00 tomusan is at seat 2 with 2995.00 felixb is at seat 3 with 890.00 HERO is at seat 4 with 2105.00 Curly05 is at seat 5 with 1535.00 ulrikdk posts the large blind 50.00 Curly05 posts the small blind 25.00 Curly05: --, -- ulrikdk: --, -- tomusan: --, -- felixb: --, -- HERO: Ah, As Pre-flop: tomusan: Fold felixb: Raise 200.00 Hero??

Re: How do I maximise my AA vs a shortie he's raised already, around 1/4 of his stack, put him all in and he'll call. unelss you're trying to get more from other players as well, then limp and put him all in on the flop. (btw yes my first post in ages, first games of poker today in 2 weeks)

Re: How do I maximise my AA vs a shortie I'd maybe call this because a continuation bet is almost mandatory and means he's pot committed thereafter when you come over the top of him....but I don't mind the push either, is a mistake constantly trapping with big hands, not because of the possibility of being outdrawn, just because it's so easy to read....

Re: How do I maximise my AA vs a shortie i would do the same as mick,double it and give him the choice of all in or not,he is bound to at least call . plus you may fish others in the pot as the bets not absolutely huge. if they call and he goes all in,then you dump it all in and hope for a caller with a very good hand makeing a huge pot:hope. if you dropped him all in you dont get as much chance of a reraise if others join the pot ,so just a minimum raise for me.

Re: How do I maximise my AA vs a shortie thanks guys - i did min raise him and induced the shove - he had 88 thought it was the best way to play - tho given his hand he would have called my shove (hoping I had over cards - which idid actually have....:eek ) If he had had KJ etc, I think the shove might have driven him out of the pot cheers Damo

Re: How do I maximise my AA vs a shortie I've gotta say I'm surprised by that choice damo - a min raise in my mind is the most suspicious move in poker, I can't really put you on anything but AA/KK if you do that, I'd be folding if I was him. In fact if I had 88 a min raise is probably the only move that could get me off the pot.

Re: How do I maximise my AA vs a shortie

felixb is at seat 3 with 890.00 HERO is at seat 4 with 2105.00 .... felixb: Raise 200.00
He already has 25% of his chips gone in his raise, and anyone who does that is telling me they want to jump... They just need a little push. Maybe he hoped he was against AK and was prepared to take his chances. Although more aware players smell a rat with a min. raise it's quite easy to get so caught up in your own situation and not 'see' properly, especially when you're short stacked.

Re: How do I maximise my AA vs a shortie rock and hard place choice if I shove and he has KJ/K10/QJ/910 etc it might well go in the bin and if he is bluffing, that will also go in the bin - even shorties bluff sometimes a min raise gives him a chance to 1) call for pot odds 2) call and hit something on the flop and shove, which I will call 3) shove PF It might also tempt someone behind me with KK-10 10 or AK to shove for value and to isolate the shortie as well - - I have seen this happen a few times yes, unusual play, and not one I would make if he had 1.5K I would raise to 600 then Cheers Damo

I've gotta say I'm surprised by that choice damo - a min raise in my mind is the most suspicious move in poker' date=' I can't really put you on anything but AA/KK if you do that, I'd be folding if I was him. In fact if I had 88 a min raise is probably the only move that could get me off the pot.[/quote']

Re: How do I maximise my AA vs a shortie

I've gotta say I'm surprised by that choice damo - a min raise in my mind is the most suspicious move in poker' date=' I can't really put you on anything but AA/KK if you do that, I'd be folding if I was him. In fact if I had 88 a min raise is probably the only move that could get me off the pot.[/quote'] Though if you know your opponent will interpret a minimum raise that way, it makes a minimum raise with a complete bluff a relatively cheap move. Almost certainly, the "theoretically correct" answer is to make a minimum raise with probability X and go all-in with probability Y (and do something in-between with probability Z).

Re: How do I maximise my AA vs a shortie That's true - but I don't think he'd believe you were trying to bluff him with that few chips and every possibility that he actually does have a monster - a shortstack raising a small amount like that is also a red flag. I like the call here, because he's almost obliged to shove whatever the flop, let him do the betting for you rather than giving him the information to lay it.