MLB 02/03 April

I thought as Sun only has the one game Id combine it with Mon. B365 already have Sun/Mon games pricedup. This is what takes my fancy at first glance. CLE @ CWS - CWS to win @ 1.80 CHC @ CIN - CHC to win @ 1.74 STL @ PHI - STL to win @ 1.68 SF @ SD - Under 7 @ 1.83 FLA @ HOU - Under 7.5 @ 1.90 A bit more detail later. Just had to have a look as cant wait for the start of the season.:nana

Re: MLB 02/03 April (Thanks to MLB.com, got most of this from the Opening Day outlooks.) First pick of the season for me is my team, the Cubs, against the Cincinatti Reds, with George Dubya Bush throwing out the first pitch. (And a good one may get him a spot on our rotation if we have any more injuries!) Cubs - Major story is Juan Pierre's first competitive game, with the leadoff hitter looking like he could be a great signing. Todd Walker gets the nod at second ahead of Jay Hairston, for the first two games at least, but knows he'll need to do well to stay there. Derrek Lee bruised his shoulder at the WBC but is coming off his best ever year. Michael Barrett went to the Classic but didn't get too many AB's, and may be sluggish. Ramirez had a great spring training and is my pick to be The Man for the Cubbies this year. Jacque Jones needs a comeback, and youngsters Matt Murton and Ronny Cedeno will have to get good fast. On the mound, Zambrano is pumped and ready after the Classic and spring training. He went 14-6 with a 3.26 ERA last season, and is 5-3 with a 2.33 ERA against the Reds lifetime. Bullpen will be strong, with last year's NL leader in save percentage, Ryan Dempster, closing for the second season, and newcomers Howry and Eyre setting up. Cubs have got injury problems, but the main ones are all to pitchers. The lack of Prior, Wood and even Wade Miller will hurt them soon, but may mean Zambrano is even more fired up to make sure they get off to a good start, knowing that it'll be up to guys like Glendon Rusch and Sean Marshall in the coming days. Reds - Todd Womack will likely lead-off from second base, short stop Felipe Lopez looks to continue his excellent form of last season, and the always dangerous Ken Griffey Jr is extremely hot after the Classic. Adam Dunn puts up big numbers, 3rd baseman Edwin Encaracion made sure of his place by leading the club on homers and RBI's during Spring Training. Late signing Scott Hateburg should bring balance, Austin Kearns will look to establish himself as a full-timer, and Javier Valentin will complete the lineup since Jason LaRue is on the DL. Aaron Harang pitches for Cinci, and is coming off an 11-13 season with a 3.83 ERA. Cubs will NOT be glad to see him - he's 4-0 vs them lifetime, ERA 3.99. Harang is sure to feel the pressure with the rest of the Reds pitchers looking somewhat shaky, apart from maybe Bronson Arroyo - but even he will have to adjust quickly to new surroundings, especially since he wouldn't have started if he'd stayed wtih the Sox. They also lack a closer, with Weathers and Mercker sharing the role for the main, along with several other contenders. I think the Cubs can take this by a couple of runs, and while that might be just my usual optimism, the weakness of the Reds pen points to a late rally by us looking likely. I'll take 2 points on Cubs -1.5 @ 2.20 on Canbet.

Re: MLB 02/03 April Have decided that Nationals vs Mets is a no bet for me, but since it took me half an hour of reading/rewriting from MLB.com to help me come to that decision, will post my analysis here in case it helps anyone. Canbet's money line is 2.50 Nationals, 1.606 Mets. Run line is 1.667 Nats +1.5, 2.30 Mets -1.5. And over/under is over 7.5 1.87, under 7.5 1.952 New York Mets - Mets look extremely strong, with Pedro seeming to be healthy, and Lo Duca and Duaner Sanchez looking like good acquisitions. Jose Reyes comes off a good season and looks set to improve last year's .300 OBP. Lo Duca will bat behind him, and is a decent hitter for a catcher. Beltran is healthy, Delgado is awesome, and David Wright will protect well. Cliff Floyd got off to a great start last year, and it'll be interesting to see if he can do the same this time around. Xavier Nady can hit, and Anderson Hernandez is a good glove at second base ahead of the injured Kaz Matsui, even if he doesn't provide much offense. Pedro is obviously the #1, but will not start Opening Day, pitching for just the second time in Spring Training 2 days ago. Instead, 40-year old Tom Glavine will start things off. He's had 50 decisions vs the Nationals organisation, going 30-20 with a 3.41 lifetime ERA against them. (I'm assuming that most of those games are when they were the Expos.) Last season he was 13-13, 3.53 ERA. Aaron Heilman is now in the bullpen, and looks likely to be used as an eighth inning setup for closer Billy Wagner - possibly something to keep an eye out for in in-play games where the Mets are slightly behind coming into the last two, as they should be a dominant force. Washington Nationals - Nationals had a poor Spring Training, and will be looking to improve quickly. Brandon Watson hit .355 and stole 21 bases in AAA New Orleans last year, and hopefully he'll do just as well hitting leadoff for the Nats. Switch hitter Jose Vidro hasn't been fully fit for the past 3 years, and must be extremely rusty. Nick Johnson has been on the DL every year since 1999, and can we see problems occuring here? Soriano is unhappy being stuck in the outfield instead of at 2nd, Brian Schneider's shoulder is yet another injury worry, but Jose Guillen, Ryan Zimmerman, and Royce Clayton should bring some good news. Marlon Anderson, a free agent pickup, may be a key player from the bench - last season, he batted .321 for the Mets as a pinch hitter. Livan Hernandez is opening day starter for the 3rd year in a row, with Chad Cordero closing. 47 saves and a 1.82 ERA from 74 games last year show he won't be afraid of anyone. Felix Rodriguez is brought into the pen, instead of the injured Luis Ayala and Carrasco, now gone. 15-10, and 3.98 ERA last year, Livan is so-so against the Mets, 10-10 and 4.52 ERA lifetime vs them.

Re: MLB 02/03 April MLB- BINGO BANGO BONGO Starting off the season with White Sox vs Cleveland- Over 8 runs @ 2.00 C.C.Sabathia (Era around 4 ish) has bombed in the spring going 0-2 era 8.5. He got hit for 3 dingers in his last outing against the Nationals. Im daring to suggest that he is not yet on top of his game and if the Sox get in early, it could be a case of c-c-c-c-c you later Sabathia. Added bonus of the 8 runs means that only 7 or less will mean a loss. Buehrle shoule be efficient as usual, but Cleveland have enough power and speed to keep him on his toes. Over 8 runs @2.00 - 100points single Bank 1000 - 100 =900

Re: MLB 02/03 April Next pick is the other Chicago team, the White Sox, against the Indians. White Sox - Sox were well under .500 in the Cactus League, but that was true last year as well - and we all know what happened back in October. Ozzie Guillen managed to get everyone to Opening Day healthy, apart from Dustin Hermason, probably out til July or so. Jim Thome is the big signing, looking fit again after an injury-hit campaign with the Phillies last year. Joe Crede is another guy who could play a huge part, after a great postseason. Rookie Brian Anderson slots into centre field, replacing Aaron Rowand. Mark Buerhle pitches for his 5th straight Opening Day, taking the 1-0 win over the Tribe last year. He was 16-8 and 3.12 last season, and this could be the time when he gets to 20 wins. Lifetime against the Indians, he's 7-7 and 4.18, and was 2-0 and 2.45 ERA last year vs them. Closer Bobby Jenks has struggled somewhat, but did manage to get the vital outs in the AL Divison Series and the World Series last year Indians - Grady Sizemore looked good last year, and will hopefully be an inspiration to even less experienced youngster - such as left fielder Jason Michaels. Jhonny Peralta is hot at the plate, but makes too many errors for a short stop. Travis Hafner is a SERIOUSLY scary DH, with .305 average, 33 homers, and 108 RBIs last time around. Ronnie Ballard, at 2nd, got 78 RBIs for a personal best, and catcher Victor Martinez had an insane .380 average in the second half of the season. Ben Broussard, under .260 in all but 2 months, but with 19 homers, is patchy but can catch fire. Aaron Boone started slow last year, and Casey Blake (.241 overall, and just .171 with runners in scoring position) is a possible weak link. Pitching ace C. C. Sabathia was superb towards the end of last season, 9-1 with a 2.24 ERA. That's compared to 15-10 with a 4.03 ERA overall. He's generally very good against the White Sox, 8-3 with a 4.23 ERA, although he lost his only decision against them last season. However, as Stevie points out, he's sucked over Spring Training, with that 8.5 ERA. Against the Bullpen may rely too much on Bob Wickman (45 saves last year but now turned 37) and oft-injured setup man Guillermo Mota. Poor start (9-14 in April) in 2005 cost them big, as they never really recovered. All in all, it should be pretty close, but I can't see the Tribe taking this one. Will go for 2 points on the White Sox, 1.82 at Canbet.

Re: MLB 02/03 April Well theres very little left for me to add really on tonights game really. CWS won the world series last year, not by hitting hundereds of homeruns but with a combination of great pitching, consistent batting and intelligent running. They stole bases and make sacrifices to get the man home. Although there has been a few changes at Cellular Field during the break I cant see things being too different this time round. CWS went 14 wins from 19 against CLE but this doesnt do the Indians justice as many were one runs games. CWS had lots of tight wins last year though, all down to their style of play but its this grinding out results which made them champs. Buehrle takes the mound on opening day for the 5th straight year. Last year he was 16-8 with a 3.12 ERA. Buehrle as the opening pitcher speaks volumes in itself when you look at the names behind him, al quality pitchers. CLE progressed last year and may continue to do so this year. Sabathia ended last year fantastically but that could point two directions.1) hes sorted out any problems he had, or 2)he dont like the start of the season. The Indians are still a young side and are still learning the game and gelling as a team. This could be trouble when coming up against a side like CWS. Any mistakes in defence and the Sox will be waiting to pounce and before you know it the could be a rally on the way. A good pitching performance from Buehrle and a discplined approach from the rest of the side will be enough for the Whitesox to start this season where they left off last season. CWS to beat CLE - 8pts @ 1.83 (Stan James) (All bets out of 10)

Re: MLB 02/03 April

MLB- BINGO BANGO BONGO Starting off the season with White Sox vs Cleveland- Over 8 runs @ 2.00 C.C.Sabathia (Era around 4 ish) has bombed in the spring going 0-2 era 8.5. He got hit for 3 dingers in his last outing against the Nationals. Im daring to suggest that he is not yet on top of his game and if the Sox get in early, it could be a case of c-c-c-c-c you later Sabathia. Added bonus of the 8 runs means that only 7 or less will mean a loss. Buehrle shoule be efficient as usual, but Cleveland have enough power and speed to keep him on his toes. Over 8 runs @2.00 - 100points single Bank 1000 - 100 =900
I know very little about this sweet a$$ sport, but i'm learning and i just learnt that the new pitcher for Cleveland sucks bad balls. Sabathia looked pretty sweet and the injury is definately a bummer for the Indians. Hopefully we'll get few more runs for CWS and get the overs!

Re: MLB 02/03 April Didnt look too much wrong wih Sabathia if you ask me. More like he'd just let 2 quick runs slip,He didn't fancy the cold much and he had a feeling he was about to get shelled by the World Champs.! 14 runs +100pts on the night- Current bank 1100pts

Re: MLB 02/03 April Well Done stevie, great tipping mate. Pity we couldn't watch it come in, well i couldn't, well done pal. Congratulations also to you WFTE and Jaded, nice little earner and hopefullya sign of things to come in MLB 2006

Re: MLB 02/03 April Was a strange night to say the least and not the best game to opena season. :( Rain delays are awful for a game and I agree with Stevie that there didnt seem to much wrong with CC and he just couldnt wait to get off the mound. Should be good today, still no bets for me for a week or so but I was on anything it would be the Cards at what could turn out to be a cracking price with Carpenter on the mound.

Re: MLB 02/03 April Stl v Phil seems riskier than I first thought. Lieber and Carpenter are pretty similar when you compare the results versus each other's team last year. Carpenter has an higher era during April which usually means he settles later in the year. Though he has seen a lot of action this spring season, so that stat may not play into it too much. If the weather forcast stays correct, there is going to be some moisture in the air and with the temp in the 50's, Carpenter should be able to locate pretty well. Jimmy Rollins' record has a chance to stop on opening day. His first at bat will be his best chance and hopefully Carpenter is on target and doesn't let it continue. Yeah, yeah, yeah ... I don't want to see it go anymore. Today is the first day of the season and I'm already tired of hearing about it. It takes too much headline space for my liking. Could you imagine if he did it? The debate between single and multi season streak will continue for the rest of the year. Less heartbreak losing it now instead of @ game 54. I see the Cardinals winning this game and I'm putting 3 pts behind it, but I think the overs carries too much risk. On history shows overs - on best game pitching talent shows unders. (way under) Stl v Phil - 3 pts

Re: MLB 02/03 April I'm living in Australia, but I was born and bred in St. Louis and miss the baseball. (Cricket, while neat - doesn't fix the addiction). Played til the knee gave up. Been down here 4 years and I'm still a season ticket holder ;) sad...

Re: MLB 02/03 April MLB Bingo Bango Bongo Nats vs Mets Hernandez has opening day era of approx 5.7, including 7 runs blasted of him last year. He does not want to start slow against this Mets lineup. Glavine is now around 40 years old, and still pitches well esp at backend of last season. Weather will be pretty cool and apparently overcast with a little moisture in the air.Im therefore hoping for some pitching control problems, especially this early in the season. Im taking 7.5+ runs @1.87 Bet 365 - but am currently looking for better odds. 100 points single 1100 -100 = bank of 1000pts

Re: MLB 02/03 April It's going to be a great season, couple of divisions are up for grabs, others rely on health, lots of talent around. It's also going to be a long season, so I'm going to have a little fun with it. I'm going to run trebles all season long to see how I do, all will be 1-2pt in value and med-low confidence. Some risks, some confident picks. So if you follow I wouldn't bet the bank on any of these, but I have some EPL overflow to burn. Most will be straight win bets, unless someone spots an obvious over that can be thrown in. Starting bank = 250 pts -3 above Logical Conclusions NY Mets v Washington - Too much "Washington is dangerous" media attention for my liking. Glavine is still Glavine and Washington is still Washington. @ 1.61 St L v Phil - mentioned above. @ 1.69 Det v KC - Rodriguez and Ordonez are healthy and KC isn't in the spring season anymore @ 1.74 1pt @ 4.73 Big names on a big day Schilling - Boston v Texas - Ask RedSox diehards how Schilling performs on big days. The quickest way to forget 2005 is to have a better 2006. Now if only the bullpen can protect his efforts against a strong Texas team. @ 1.93 Johnson - Yankees v Oakland - 14th opening day start, pinstripes, he'll need all of it against Oakland. @ 1.80 Hudson - Atlanta v LA - Yes, Tim is big enough in my book. @ 1.85 1pt @ 6.43 Risk bet Flordia v Houston @ 2.43 - Wha'chu talkin about .....Willis! - 2pts Ending bank = 243 pts

SportMLB
EventSTL @ PHI - 8.05pm
SelectionSTL to win
Strength10/10
Date03/04/2006
Bookmaker/PriceSportingOdds @ 1.75 (Back)
ReasoningCarpenter opens for St Louis, coming off the back of a CY young season.21-5 and 2.83 ERA. He's also shown good stuff during the spring. STL still have that power middle of the lineup in Pujols,Edmonds and Rolen. If these guys start making contact then you're in trouble. Leiber opens for the Phillies and he wont be too keen to see STL. In two starts against them last year he gave up 11 hits, 8 earned runs and 5 homers. St Louis are by far the best team in the National League and should start of their inevitable march towards October baseball with a win here.

SportMLB
EventFLA @ HOU - 00.05am
SelectionUnder 7.5 runs.
Strength8/10
Date04/04/2006
Bookmaker/PricePinnacle Sports @ 1.96 (Back)
ReasoningTwo of last seasons best pitchers are involved in this opening day match. The "D-Train" Willis will start for Florida. FLA's side has been torn apart during the off season but that wont stop Willis throwing strikes. 22-10,2.63ERA last year. Oswalt wasnt far off Willis last year with 20-12,2.94ERA. Hopefully Willis can keep the HOU bats quiet and his bullpen wont let him down. Oswalt has very little to fear from the FLA bats and should manage to avoid giving up too much.

Re: MLB 02/03 April Im very keen on the Rangers 10/11 to beat the Red Sox. I think the Red Sox will take time to mesh together, with almost a completely new infield. Millwood on the mound for Texas is a genuine Ace and how will Schilling be , now he is apparently back to full health? I fancy texas to catch them cold. Im also On the dodgers to beat the braves at evs. Im not dazzled by the Braves this year at all.They will not win the title and the new look dodgers have plenty of power and a good bullpen. Texas 1.93 100 points Dodgers 2.00 100 points 1000 points -200 = 800 total

Re: MLB 02/03 April Ha ha ,when its not your night for the overs! Just the 19 men left on base- thats before we get to the 50/50 call at home plate and some other poor base running from Nady and Vidro! Ah well, cant do much more than that to get over 7.5 runs :rollin

Ha ha ,when its not your night for the overs! Just the 19 men left on base- thats before we get to the 50/50 call at home plate and some other poor base running from Nady and Vidro!
Even more sickening when you see some of the other scores being notched up. Cubs and STL both looking good. As you can see in my opening post, I did originally fancy th cubs but decided not to get to hasty so early on in the season. I think Harangs record against the cubs swayed me into a no bet in the end. Plenty of games left, no need to rush into too many bets with no solid form.

Re: MLB 02/03 April Ive got to stop laying off the betting over opening week, always seem to pick winners :lol :lol :lol Go the Red Sox, maybe this season wont be as bad I think it could be, Manny and Papi, we're still gonna score a shitloads of runs. If Curt keeps that up a decent rotation as well.....:) Jaded.......player I liked a lot last season and he's had a great start again today....Matt Murton, could have a very good player with you there :)