** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Your poker History

wizard

Re: Your poker History I started about 5 years ago down our local "The Castle" in Bath. We used to play for bags of pennies and two pences down the pub..... a two pence was a raise, lol. Got into it after watching late night poker on channel 4, when it was the only poker program on TV..... how those days have changed. I would have to say the Devilfish.... he was one of the big players on late night poker. Way before the Helmuths, Hansens and Lederers were even heard of. Devilfish is still my all time favourite player today.

Re: Your poker History :clap Good question wizard!!! How - Watching the Channel 4 Show Late Night Poker. When - Beginning of Aug last year (through PL :D) Poker Hero - Oh no.... Y'see, it's Gaf?. He has been so supportive, so it has to be him, but on the pro circuit? Doyle Brunson, Jennifer Harman. Saying that those Costa Rican Brenes brothers are looking very good on the WPT. I love watching Gus Hansen too. Why - For the competition, because I hope to be good one day, and the money. In that order. I also love the fact that there is no 'right' or 'wrong' way, as long as it wins.:D And I reserve the right to change any of those answers at any time.;)

Re: Your poker History I've enjoyed playing cards most of my life and always ended up playing either poker or brag down the pub. A few years ago when late night poker started a group of us set up a regular Hold'em night down the local pub. luckily one of the group was also the local landlord so the nights generally lasted into the days. I moved to Belgium about 3 years ago and because of the lack of action here took up internet poker ( although the same crowd still meet up and play occasionally). The biggest change for me has been moving away from ring games into tournament poker which is a better measure of your ability imho when on the internet because if you're willing to buy in a little higher you get better competition and also because as a internet 'saddo' it gives you a good reason to go to bed when it's too late rather than to keep playing when you're tired just to try and get revenge on a muppet that's cost you a fortune. Hero.. can't really profess to have a hero, but Dan Harrington had the biggest impact on my game after reading the Harrington on Hold'em books. Hope that's helped.:ok

Re: Your poker History Must be 18 months since I started playing. My partner got me interested in it and spent 10 minutes teaching me the hands. We started a league in our local club over 10 weeks. No-one knew how to play so we had a practice session first. They've all mastered it. We've had 3 lots of 10 week leagues and are now preparing to run one up until christmas. Most of us have become avid online players as well. Would have to say devilfish but I'm a bit biased as he's related to my partner!! Have become an avid follower of Jennifer Harman as well.

Re: Your poker History Me, played cards for money since I was 4 - that was the only way to get any pocket money in our house :rollin . Playing crib against my dad and younger brothers kept me in beer through the holidays at Uni. Came up through crib and solo and things like bezique and canasta - eventually getting into poker (say 25 years ago) when a group of workmates used to play "friendly" down the works club - don't think it was legal as it probably went above the definition of small stakes but as several of the players were on the committee we got away with it. It was mostly friendly, but some of them (especially one Scottish guy I remember) used to play exceedingly loosely, especially after a few bevvies :cheers . Main game we used to play was Omaha hi-lo. I think I've got a touch of mathematical anal retention :moon in my character and don't play as badly as most other people when I've got alcohol inside me (also I'm too attached to my money :lol to lose it cheaply) - so I used to end up a regular winner even allowing for the alcohol rake back (them what was ahead generally bought the round :beer ). That broke up about 15 years ago and its only 2 years ago that I rediscovered poker via online (as a result of signing up for Betfair as I was too lazy to go down the bookies). As regards favorite poker players, don't really have much opinion on most of the "celebrities" - most seem to have over large egos (maybe thats what made them who they are ... they are prepared to put everything on the line for the chance of fame!). Lots of players on here I respect and favour - but I'm not gonna expand their egos - hehe.

Re: Your poker History Got into Poker watching WPT on Sky about a year and a half ago. Don't really have a poker hero, all the big pro's are excellent to watch but would have to say I do like watching Negreanu, Devilfish and Scotty Nyguen. I would have to agree with 6ooner though, Harrington's books are excellent and will improve anyones game!

Re: Your poker History Been playing poker with mates on and off since I was about 15 or 16, which was about 8 years ago. Started taking it more seriously and playing online about 2 years ago. I guess I got into it because I always enjoyed card games when i was a kid and I like to gamble. Got into online poker and started taking it more seriously when i realised I could make decent money at it. Poker hero would have to be Doyle Brunson, love to watch Gus Hansen though I have to say

Re: Your poker History

Don't really have a poker hero, all the big pro's are excellent to watch but would have to say I do like watching Negreanu, Devilfish and Scotty Nyguen.
Probably my idol as well ever since seeing the 1998 main event at the WSOP. call me an its over baby!

Re: Your poker History Have been playing card games for as long as I can remember 4/5 yera old maybe? and been 'betting' since I was 7 when red rum won his third grand national. I read Al AlvarezBiggest Game in Town about 1984 or so and John Scanlons (sp?) Guide to Card Games which included poker, so at the tender age of 15/16 me and my mates played spit in the ocean for 1p and 2p bets...... at school in the breaks, and yes we DID get our card school busted after I won a huge pot (about a quid) off one of the sixth formers and a fight broke out which attracted the attention of a teacher.... LOL Then it went quiet until i signed up two years ago via sporting with whom i had a sports account and its gone uphill since! Cheers Damo

Re: Your poker History In general a gambler by nature and into horse racing for as long as I can remember - apparently mum took me to Wetherby races 'in utero' ! Got hooked on poker through the original late night Channel 4 series and started playing online about two years ago. Only played live once but want to start regularly as soon as I can find a freezeout tournament locally. No poker heroes but I like the way Gus Hansen plays. Having said that, if I'm watching on TV I'm often playing online as well so that gets most of my concentration. Being a 'gambler by nature' doesn't necessarily help my poker game but slowly I'm striking a balance. Patience, or lack of it, is usually the problem ! :ok