Snooker: Welsh Open

Re: Snooker: Welsh Open Any picks for today? I think Stevens, Mcmanus look vulnerable as there are bound to be more upsets today. I have taken Stephen Lee in the outright market:

SportSnooker/Pool
EventWelsh Open
SelectionLee (1/2, 1,2) (Each-Way)
Strength1/10
Date05/03/2006
Bookmaker/Price>BetFred @ 51.00 (Back)
ReasoningHis odds look value seeing as O'sullivan and Hendry have been knocked out. He reached the Semi's of the Masters not long ago, so although his ranking is slipping he is still very capable of putting in a few good performances. He plays D Hendry first up who struggled in his victory over Fu, then would be due to play Maguire who is not in the best of form.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Snooker: Welsh Open 10pts Win Stephen Lee to beat Drew Henry @ 1.64 Betfair Lee looks a good price here to see off the dour and gritty Henry. At his best he's a class above Henry and he showed some return to form against Maguire in the Masters recently and that form is plenty good enough to win this match. 10pts Lee to score highest break @ 1.66 Stan James Henry rarely hits big breaks, but Lee is certainly no stranger to scoring heavy and 1.66 is too big to refuse.

Re: Snooker: Welsh Open

10pts Win Stephen Lee to beat Drew Henry @ 1.64 Betfair Lee looks a good price here to see off the dour and gritty Henry. At his best he's a class above Henry and he showed some return to form against Maguire in the Masters recently and that form is plenty good enough to win this match. 10pts Lee to score highest break @ 1.66 Stan James Henry rarely hits big breaks, but Lee is certainly no stranger to scoring heavy and 1.66 is too big to refuse.
Great tipping again mate. There's 3 I like the look of on Thursday. 10pts J.Swail to beat G.Dott 5/4 Stan James Swail thrashed Peter Ebdon 5-0 in the previous round and a repeat of that form will be more than a match for Graeme Dott. Dott's been winning a few matches recently but he's been far from convincing in those matches and if Swail keeps his form up Dott will have his work cut out in this one. 10pts R.Day to beat B.Hawkins 6/5 Stan James Ryan Day has been making breaks for fun in his 2 matches so far. His opponents haven't put up much opposition admittedly and Hawkins will be his toughest test so far this week but when he's in this form Day is very tough to beat and I take him to beat Hawkins who looked good in patches against Hendry and iffy in others. 10pts M.Selby to beat S.Lee 6/5 Stan James Have to take this price here as I'm at work tomorrow and won't be able to access gambling sites :( . Mark Selby has scored very highly in his 2 matches this week. He beat Stephen Maguire in the last round and will be looking for a repeat in form to see off Stephen Lee. Stephen Lee saw off Drew Henry fairly comfortably but it wasn't a high socring match. Selby should be full of confidence having already beaten 2 players who will be in the top 10 next season in Maguire and Robertson and I think he'll continue his winning run in this match.

Re: Snooker: Welsh Open Ryan Day is well worth an each way gamble to win the tournament at 33s with hills. For a young guy he looks very confident both on and off the table.Hes going to have some very tough matches if he is to make the final and he will probably have to beat Higgins but on current form hes got a chance. 1 point each way ryan day to win the welsh open with hills @33/1. On another note the guy that hosts the snooker...is he the welsh answer to alan partridge ? :lol

SportSnooker/Pool
EventSnooker: Welsh Open
SelectionLee v Dott (Over 7.5 Frames)
Strength10/10
Date02/03/2006
Bookmaker/Price>Paddy Power @ 1.72 (Back)
ReasoningThis looks a very tight match and could well go all the way to the final frame. Lee has been playing well, but at times you can almost see the fear of winning in his rather round face, which stops him becoming the top 5 player he could be. Dott has just been doing enough to get through so far, but that has always been his main asset, determination and grit. These 2 played each other recently in the Masters and Lee won 6-5. 5-3 or 5-4 either way and it's a winner.

Re: Snooker: Welsh Open WILLIAMS v Murphy @ 2.25 Stan James 2pts Basing this purely on the last couple of matches. Impressed with the way Williams took out Stevens yesterday and a similar performance should be enough. At home I expect his to come through and continue his improvement in form. Murphy looked a little shaky yesterday nad will need to improve quite a bit for this match, and I don't fancy him to do it.

Re: Snooker: Welsh Open Well, you where right about yesterday, Paul, Betting on it was a waste of time, thought I'd have a couple of punts but everything was up in the air!!! What about Wattana's form? He looks good IMHO, and good odds against Hawkins. Beating Higgins was no small feat. Not confident enought to tip it though... Great tips for today! Can't help but agree with both. 5-3 each way on Lee V Dott I say! ZuluWarrior

Re: Snooker: Welsh Open Well that was very poor from Williams:eyes. Moving swiftly on... HAMILTON v McCulloch @ 2.37 Bet365 I was very impressed with what I saw from Hamilton yesterday in beating Doherty. He seemed to be scoring well and that pink and black to take the match were awesome. To me he's alwayed seemed to a confidence player and it seems as if he is on an 'up' this week - hopefully he will score like Casanova tonight:tongue2. McCulloch is also playing well but Ronnie barely turned up and Milkins was a decent win. I expect McCulloch to bring a solid game but Hamilton might outscore hima dn has a great chance.

Well that was very poor from Williams:eyes. Moving swiftly on... HAMILTON v McCulloch @ 2.37 Bet365 I was very impressed with what I saw from Hamilton yesterday in beating Doherty. He seemed to be scoring well and that pink and black to take the match were awesome. To me he's alwayed seemed to a confidence player and it seems as if he is on an 'up' this week - hopefully he will score like Casanova tonight:tongue2. McCulloch is also playing well but Ronnie barely turned up and Milkins was a decent win. I expect McCulloch to bring a solid game but Hamilton might outscore hima dn has a great chance.
I agree with the Hamilton pick, but I've chosen to back him to win the tournament @ 12.5 (BetFair) instead. I don't think he'll win the tournament, but at those odds I think he's a good back and lay option.

Well that was very poor from Williams:eyes. Moving swiftly on... HAMILTON v McCulloch @ 2.37 Bet365 I was very impressed with what I saw from Hamilton yesterday in beating Doherty. He seemed to be scoring well and that pink and black to take the match were awesome. To me he's alwayed seemed to a confidence player and it seems as if he is on an 'up' this week - hopefully he will score like Casanova tonight:tongue2. McCulloch is also playing well but Ronnie barely turned up and Milkins was a decent win. I expect McCulloch to bring a solid game but Hamilton might outscore hima dn has a great chance.
Word of caution Mr I. I backed Hamilton this morning thinking it was the 10am match and my record in this tournament is nothing short of pathetic so you might want to go and lump on McCulloch :lol ;)

Re: Snooker: Welsh Open Bit harsh on Hawkins Mr I, and if lee is 1.50 I'll be getting a personal loan to back Hawkins @ 3.00. :ok Lee is the one with no bottle and I'm almost certain you will see it again against Hawkins. The prices I think will be Lee 1.67 Hawkins 2.10.;)

That's your fault Mr I. :@ and mine for not being awake. :(
Bollocks:lol :lol. If they reach the final I'll be on Lee:unsure :unsure. I really think that was bad from Hawkins. Couple of bad bad misses - that Brown up the cushion with the rest was a mile away. Lucky he got that fluke at the right time. I'll be interested in Lee against Murphy, think that could be a close one. Will need a bit more than 1.50 though:tongue2.

Re: Snooker: Welsh Open This is really surprising because these 2 are actually 2 of the better break builders in the game I think. Shouldn't be nerves though because both have appearing in a ranking event final. Hamilton obviously knows I've backed him. Anyone watching on Eurosport? I wish the table tennis guy would shut up. Snooker isn't anywhere near as easy as he thinks. He'd miss all the balls they are missing. He expects EVERYONE to pot EVERYTHING! I wish he'd either shut up or bugger off back to his own sport!

Re: Snooker: Welsh Open 10pts Hamilton to beat Lee 6/5 Bet365 Anthony Hamilton continues to score very well in this tournament and a repeat of that could well be too good for Stephen Lee who continues to look far from impressive in this event. I was tempted to take the 5/1 outright on Hamilton that's still on offer but I seem to recall he choked a bit in the final of the British Open against O'Brien which doesn't fill me with confidence and I also believe that Murphy gets stronger and stronger towards the latter stages of a tournament.

Re: Snooker: Welsh Open I would favour Hamilton over Lee. Hamilton mostly played well in the QF , more so the frames I missed I belief and is the better break builder. Lee not really been playing well but has been doing enough to get through. I don't mind too much who goes through and I will be cheering for Hamilton who used to live locally to me and play at my local snooker club. If Hamilton loses than I have my e/w Lee bet to fall back on.

Re: Snooker: Welsh Open Murphy v Hawkins Murphy as long as he finds his rhythm should be too good for Hawkins who tends to grind out results. 10 points Murphy to win at 1.61 with Betfred Furthermore Murphy surely looks an outstanding break to make the highest break at 1.66. In the last match hawkings only made one meaningful break compared to four from Murphy 10 points Murphy highest break at 1.66 Stan James

Re: Snooker: Welsh Open Final after first session: MURPHY v Lee @ 2.24 Betfair 2pts OK so it's 5-3 to Lee after the first session but it could have been a lot worse after Lee went 4-0 up. Murphy could get anything going but looked a lot better after the mid-session interval and won that little session 3-1. In his last 2 matches I've been very impressed, especially with his long potting and I think that will help him tonight. He should be able to out score Lee as Lee didn't look too great this afternoon and I expect Murphy to get the job done.

Mr I' date=' it seems to me that Murphy has been paid to lose this one![/quote'] :eyes Well done Winbet, I couldn't back Lee to win a tourny knowing how weak he is mentally, but he did the business on a player who is most definitely feeling the burden of being World Champion. :ok