QQ short handed table - was i too aggressive

robilaruk

3rd or 4th hand at the table, I raise 4 blinds, am reriased 4 blinds and I shove - is that too agressive? - do I want to call and then shove? or just reraise him? I am trying to get max value for my PP, so thoughts and comments appreciated Ta Damo Hand #215373461 at table: 5 Player $30 NL Started: Fri Feb 24 15:53:48 2006 chite is at seat 1 with 1470.00 Dabeaver is at seat 2 with 1520.00 robilaruk is at seat 3 with 1470.00 LOUISAL is at seat 4 with 1570.00 gulsumo is at seat 5 with 1425.00 chite posts the large blind 30.00 gulsumo posts the small blind 15.00 gulsumo: --, -- chite: --, -- Dabeaver: --, -- robilaruk: Qs, Qc LOUISAL: --, -- Pre-flop: Dabeaver: Fold robilaruk: Raise 150.00 LOUISAL: Fold gulsumo: Raise 270.00 chite: Fold robilaruk: All in gulsumo: ???????????????????????????????????

Re: QQ short handed table - was i too aggressive I agree, I would have hit the all in button at that point, it is either that or a straight call as if you just reraised they would probably go all in on you anyhow. I am of the opinion if you have the cards play them & play them hard.

Re: QQ short handed table - was i too aggressive

LOUISAL: Fold gulsumo: Raise 270.00 chite: Fold robilaruk: All in gulsumo: ???????????????????????????????????
That suggests (to me he had either a middle pocket pr or A with a 10/J (maybe suited?). Without knowing I would say that in the face of a re-raise you did exactly the right thing. The raise was good, and had he called you you could have played post flop, but that re raise and I'd say you have to get your chips in. :ok

Re: QQ short handed table - was i too aggressive cheers folks, he called with AK, raggedy flop and an A on the turn....:eyes which makes me wonder whether I would have been better calling and seeing the flop, with no A or K showing and then getting my chips in? What do folks think about that as a plan instead? Damo :cheers

cheers folks, he called with AK, raggedy flop and an A on the turn....:eyes which makes me wonder whether I would have been better calling and seeing the flop, with no A or K showing and then getting my chips in? What do folks think about that as a plan instead? Damo :cheers
I guess i'm going against the majority of opinion, but i would have flat called the re-raise ................. its very early in the tournament and as long as i'm not playing a complete muppet the chances are i'm at best a 50-50 .............so i'd figure there is a very good chance i'm going to be called. This early in the tournament i don't really see an advatage in taking up a 50-50 at this point in the tournament as i'm confident enough in my ability to increase my stack through playing the cards, that i'd think i'm giving my opponents an advatage by reducing my chance to a coin toss. :unsure ..................... if the flop comes low a pot sized or near pot sized bet has a v good chance of driving out hands like AQ AK that may have gone on to hit on the river. I do play mostly cash games but one of the reasons my tournament play has improved recently is that i'm going all-in less frequently pre-flop with decent hands ........................... its a lot easier for your opponent to call an all-in pre-flop with AK AQ, AJ etc than call all-in when they have missed their flop and you are showing strength.............. you can also get away from your hand without too much damage being done. You don't need to try to double up all the time, a lot of smaller pots can be just as successful with much less risk........... for cash games its a simpler choice as you can re-load if you bust out............ so if the odds are in your favour you should put your chips in thee middle.............. for tournaments once you are out you are out. As the tournament progresses i will become more aggressive and will take on 50-50's (especially against short stacks........... or if i am a short stack) but I don't see an advantage in getting overagressive so early on pre-flop with QQ :unsure

LBB 50/50' date=' you mean he has k/a? and nothing else?[/quote'] Your quite right:lol i didn't explain it very well as I started editing bits of the post when i realised it was a 5 player table not a 10 seat one :$ which makes play more aggressive ................ I guess i should have read the post all the way through :lol ............ i meant to say that in that position in a 10 seat tournament i'd figure there was a good chance i was at best 50-50 .... meaning AK (But possibly AA KK) I was more going on to make a general point that i prefer to see the flop early on in a tournament as i don't see a great advantage in pre-flop all-ins during the first level of blinds when holding less than AA or KK ................. it gives poor players a better chance of winning as there is no further thought needed on their part.

Re: QQ short handed table - was i too aggressive Either move is fine with me, the flat call or push it all. Thing is by pushing you may get a numpty call you with a poor holding, just cos someone re-raises doesnt mean they hold AA KK AK in a STT type tourny. They may have a decent ace, or lower pair as well. They may have you beat but you cant really worry about that. You cant fault pushing there imo really as theres already near 500 in the pot. I certainly think id push if I were out of position (you werent tho). That neutralises your positional disadvantage that way. At least by pushing you dont have any second guessing about whether he has you beat with AA or KK on the flop. In a cash game I would flat call this with QQ and position and take a flop like Laidback said. See what the guy does on the flop. If he leads and there isnt an overcard then I guess you just have to go with it and raise. If there is an overcard and he bets youll probly have to get out and give credit. With AA and KK I definitely flat call btw and take a flop to disguise my hand but in a tourny and as QQ is more prone to getting beat I think id put my opponent to the test here. Remember by reraising there you can win the decent pot right away by calling you dont give yourself this option. The deeper your stacks the more you can disguise your hand and play a flop.

Re: QQ short handed table - was i too aggressive thanks - some excellent answers all round here much appreciated folks Damo :cheers

Either move is fine with me, the flat call or push it all. Thing is by pushing you may get a numpty call you with a poor holding, just cos someone re-raises doesnt mean they hold AA KK AK in a STT type