• Beef or Salmon
    • Kingscliffe
    • Keen Leader
    • Iris's Gift
    • Trabolgan
    • Lord Transcend
    • Take the Stand
    • Other (please state in thread)

Re: **Race of the Week** Betfair Chase 19/11/05 @ Haydock will be interested to see how these are rated. Doubt if there is much between Trabolgan & Iris's Gift, but Kicking King will be clear on its Gold Cup/KIng George wins last year. Handling the track will be a factor & I'm not sure that Kicking King has ever ran at Haydock. Ollie Magern showed what an exciting prospect it would be by winning well LTO vs Kingscliff. My head says KK at the moment but Iris's gift & Trabolgan are as game as they come.

Re: **Race of the Week** Betfair Chase 19/11/05 @ Haydock Racing Post - Kicking King leads Betfair field by Andrew Scutts KICKING KING will show his rivals just how much he has benefited for his seasonal reappearance when he runs in Saturday's £150,000 Betfair Chase at Haydock, trainer Tom Taaffe predicted on Monday. The Gold Cup winner, who is odds-on with most firms to go one better than when second to War Of Attrition at Punchestown last month, will face a maximum ten rivals as he begins his million-pound pursuit this weekend. Taaffe and others have been attracted by Betfair's offer of that bonus for any horse who wins at Haydock, plus the King George at Sandown and the Gold Cup, and the trainer reports his stable star in great shape for the opening leg of the treble. "I expect him to show the benefit of that run at Punchestown, and I'm very happy with him right now," said Taaffe on Mondday. "His final serious piece of work last Friday was very good, and he'll just have a canter tomorrow. "He's a very adaptable horse so running at Haydock for the first time should not be a bother. Going-wise, he's probably beston perfect jumping ground, like it was for the Gold Cup. But he has won on attrocious ground in Ireland so, again, that's not a worry." Coral reported that a punter in Leeds on Monday staked £11,000 at 10-11 on Kicking King winning the Betfair Chase, cutting him to 4-5, while the same firm make him 5-1 (from 8) to scoop the million, as do Betfair, who also offer 1-5 about their bonus going begging. Kicking King could clash again with four horses who finished behind him in the Gold Cup - Take The Stand, who was runner-up, Royal Auclair (fourth), Celestial Gold (seventh) and Beef Or Salmon (pulled up), while the first three home in last month's Charlie Hall Chase - Ollie Magern, Kingscliff and Take The Stand - are all set to run at Haydock, as could Keen Leader, who fell at Wetherby. Kingscliff is second favourite with Bet365 at 9-2, but trainer Robert Alner admitted on Monday that he was not confident of turning the tables on Ollie Magern, who is most bookmakers' idea of the biggest threat to Kicking King in Saturday's Grade 1 three-miler. Alner said: "Haydock is dead flat and the trip is the same as at Wetherby. In terms of facing Ollie Magern again, Kingscliff would probably prefer a longer trip against him. "Take nothing away from Ollie Magern at Wetherby, and I'm not confident of reversing the form, and of course there are many other good horses too. "We're all set, though, and I'm very happy with the way he has been working lately. He has come on for his run at Wetherby. The going won't matter and Rob Walford rides him again, as he will all season." Peter Bowen, trainer of Take The Stand, said: "He ran well to be third at Wetherby. He's got some good form and if the ground is good he will have a decent chance. He will run even if the heavens open. Tony Dobbin will ride him again, and he's a good price at around 20-1. He's a tough horse and has a chance." Trainer Michael Hourigan on Monday reported Beef Or Salmon to be "clean as a whistle and on target for Haydock". Plans were put onice last week when the six-time Grade 1 winner visited a veterinary practice on The Curragh after a trickle of blood appeared in his nostril minutes before he was due to contest the Leopardstown November Handicap. "The tests showed there was not a problem and he has worked since - and well I believe - although I missed it," said Hourigan. The trainer's daughter Kay supervised that piece of work last Saturday. She added: "While he worked with horses that had run earlier in the week I was very happy with him as he seemed like his old self. We're looking forward to Saturday now." Celestial Gold's owner David Johnson reported last season's Hennessy hero in very good order, though not a certain runner. Newbury's showpiece the following weekend is his alternative. Haydock's clerk of the course Kirkland Tellwright said on Monday: "The going is soft, good to soft in places. The weather is set to be substantially dry throughout the week. My best guess is that we might get to good to soft."

Re: **Race of the Week** Betfair Chase 19/11/05 @ Haydock Beef or Salmon is my idea of the best each way bet here at around 8/1. Always looks top class leading up to the Cheltenham Gold Cup but never seems to do it at Cheltenham. His record away from Cheltenham is near impeccable. A flatter track like Haydock should suit him much better. He has had the beating of Kicking King when racing at Down Royal over 3 miles on soft ground. Similar to conditions he will face on Saturday. He has subsequently been beaten twice by the Gold Cup winner. One of those occassins was obvioulsy at Cheltenham, whilst the other was over 2m 4f when BOF was reportedly not race fit. With a slight doubt over Kicking King after his defeat last time out (he admittedly probably needed the run) I think Beef or Salmon has the ability to give the reigning champ a good race on Saturday, especially on the soft ground, and will get my each way vote :ok

Re: **Race of the Week** Betfair Chase 19/11/05 @ Haydock News on Beef or Salmon AK. Salmon on the Haydock menu by Keith Hamer and Chris Wilson BEEF OR SALMON put himself on course for the first leg of the Betfair Million by delighting connections in a gallop on Tuesday morning. Trainer Michael Hourigan is now relishing the prospect of his stable star taking on totesport Cheltenham Gold Cup hero Kicking King, impressive Charlie Hall Chase victor Ollie Magern and company in the Betfair Chase at Haydock Park on Saturday. "He worked well over a mile and six furlongs and we are all ready to go now," said the Limerick trainer. "We'll give him apop over a fence in the morning and he'll probably travel to England on Thursday morning." Beef Or Salmon has endured a troublesome autumn starting with a security alert which lead to the abandonment of Down Royal on November 6 which put paid to his chances in the James Nicholson Wine Merchant Champion Chase. Hourigan's charge was then set for a spin on the Flat in the November Handicap at Leopardstown a day later but was withdrawn shortly before the race. "He banged his head in the lorry at Leopardstown and I just wasn't happy with him," Hourigan told At The Races. "I couldn't take the chance of running him." Despite Beef Or Salmon's disrupted preparation, Hourigan expects him to create a favourable impression in the Betfair Chase. He added:"He goes on most ground but he's probably more effective on soft ground. He'll appreciate getting a good toe in at Haydock. "My horse is well and I just need a bit of luck. "I'm not 100 per cent certain who rides him yet but I will know in the next 24 hours." Meanwhile, Kicking King continued his build-up to Haydock with a routine piece of work after which the Gold Cup hero was reported to be in tip-top shape. "He's fine and spot on for the weekend," said his trainer Tom Taaffe. "He just did normal exercise this morning." The County Kildare handler believes the seven-year-old will be all the better for his reappearance four weeks ago, when he suffered a shock defeat by War Of Attrition over two and three-quarter miles at Punchestown. "He'll have come on for the first run of the season and he's very adaptable trip-wise," added Taaffe. Kicking King is marginally odds-on with most firms to put himself in line for the Betfair bonus with victory in the three-mile test on Saturday. The two other legs in the Betfair Million are the Stan James King George VI Chase and the totesport Cheltenham Gold Cup, both of which Kicking King won last term. One horse unlikely to take up the challenge is Hand Inn Hand, who is more likely to run instead in thetotesport Peterborough Chase the same afternoon. The nine-year-old is engaged in both the three-mile Betfair Chase at the Merseyside track and in the feature race at Huntingdon over an extended two and a half miles. Trainer Henry Daly is leaning towards Hand Inn Hand making his seasonal debut in the Peterborough Chase in which he finished fourth 12 months ago, as the shorter distance should suit and the opposition will not be quite as daunting. "The plan is for him to run on Saturday. It's more likely to be in the Peterborough Chase at Huntingdon rather than at Haydock," said the Ludlow trainer. "He does stay three miles but I believe two and a half is his optimum trip and the company at Haydock does look tougher."

Re: **Race of the Week** Betfair Chase 19/11/05 @ Haydock If the ground isnt too soft then Celestial Gold would be my pick for an e/w bet but i dont think that is on the cards. Lord Transcend will like the ground but im put off for an e/w by the form of Howard-Johnson's at the mo. Ollie Magern was mighty impressive last time but its still not up to KK's standard yet so i think id have to stick with him. Beef has yet to win outside of ireland.

Re: **Race of the Week** Betfair Chase 19/11/05 @ Haydock

selectionsrsel_oc.gif
Show:t_left_oc.gifBest Oddst_rjoin_oc.gifAll Oddst_ljoin_oc.gifExchangest_right_oc.gif
Odds shortening Odds drifting
ch_fav_up_oc.gifch_az_oc.gif
90SO.gif90TB.gif90WH.gif90SK.gif90LD.gif90CE.gif90VC.gif90PP.gif90UK.gif90BS.gif90B3.gif90BT.gif90PN.gif90BX.gif90SJ.gif90GC.gif90BF.gif90BD.gif90IB.gif90SI.gifch_acc_oc.gif
Kicking King 14/54/5 10/1114/5 11 -1 acc_all_oc.gif
Ollie Magern 7/247/2 47/24 7/24 -1 acc_all_oc.gif
Beef Or Salmon 815/27 888 99 -1 acc_all_oc.gif
Kingscliff 1098 813/29 97 -1 acc_all_oc.gif
Keen Leader 101112 101110 912 -1 acc_all_oc.gif
Celestial Gold 121112 121212 1412 -1 acc_all_oc.gif
Lord Transcend 20 acc_all_oc.gif
Take The Stand 202020 202520 2525 -1 acc_all_oc.gif
Royal Auclair 332825 253328 2828 -1 acc_all_oc.gif
Hand Inn Hand 40 acc_all_oc.gif
Happy Hussar 1000
can only see value in backing others for a place in this race with KK looking a good thing. Celestial Gold for a place could be the best value bet.