Biggest draw race of the year !!

One of my favourite races of the season is nearly upon us with Friday's Coral Golden Mile having declared with twenty one horses a couple of hours ago. Only twenty can run so one of the favourites, and only 3yo, in the race Native Warrior needs one to drop out to get a run (which is actually highly likely as with the 'Chester' effect one of the high draws will no doubt go down with a cough/ lameness / travel - delete where applicable or not!).

The reason it is one of my favourite races of the season and one that has been highly profitable to me over the years is the draw. The configuration of the track for Friday is such that with the track is at it's tightest with a sharp right hand turn after 2F which gives those drawn low (as long as they can keep their early position) a massive advantage. 

Last year's race was run on soft ground and that draw theory went out the window to my financial displeasure as Johan won from stall 18 but the previous 9 years the winners were drawn 2, 5, 2, 3, 3 , 3, 1, 9 and 5.

I dismiss anything drawn 8 or above for punting purposes and think the two to be on is the one-two from two years ago in the shape of the David O'Meara duo Orbaan and Blue For You. 

Drawn 2 and 1 respectively Orbann quickened away from his stablemate to win cosily by 3 1/4L. Orbaan is 5lb better off here and must be backed each way. The negatives for him are that he's the oldest in the field at nine years old and stable jockey Danny Tudhope appears to have chosen Blue For You although Silvestre De Sousa is a fair replacement.

Orbaan proved on his penultimate run at Carlisle that he's still more than capable and with fast conditions in his favour can be backed each way with additional places with a each way saver on his stable mate Blue For You who is 1lb well in here with his latest win at York being boosted by the runner up winning the big 7F handicap at Ascot last Saturday. 

Paddy Power went 40/1 about Orbaan after the declarations (they're now 12/1) but I would back him at 12/1 or bigger. I've taken 18/1.

ORBAAN 1 point each way @ 16/1 bet365

BLUE FOR YOU 1 point each way 11/2 Paddy Power

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.