** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **

100 First Goalscorers

harry_rag

Title says most of it but I'll edit this post tomorrow to flesh out the thinking. Just wanted to get the thread started so I can post the first selection.

"The thinking" - Been backing a few players for first goal of late, mostly where i can get them each way but sometimes backing first goal "win only". My simplistic thinking is that, where you think a player is value to score at anytime then the first goal price is value as well as long as it is at least 3 times the anytime price. Where it's more than 3 times as much and you can back each way then the "place" terms are actually better than the anytime price.

Most of the selections will be anytime bets where the first price is at least 3 times the anytime odds. Sometimes there will be a first goalscorer bet where the anytime price is too short (e.g. player is odds on to score but 7/2 for first goal; the "place" terms of 1/3 the odds would be odds against which would be a bet if available in the anytime market). I'll flag such a selection when it arises to make it clearer.

Maximum four selections per day, see what it looks like after 100 bets.

Edited by harry_rag
Added "the thinking" for the thread

Bet 1 is McAtee for Barnsley at 6/1 with 365.

Given the line up (Watters not starting pushing McAtee up the pecking order) I'm on him anytime at 8/5. 6/1 seems good for first on that basis.

Won't be putting 2 up in the same game but could make a case for Kane at 10/1 (I took 9s earlier). 5/2 anytime not quite enough to tempt me in. (Possible penalty taker.)

Bet 2 is Collins for Derby at 15/4 with the same firm.

Anytime at evens gets a "value rating" of 100 which is pretty rare. Either he's a cracking bet or SX have greatly overpriced his goal minutes. (One of the negatives of the demise of SPIN is that there's no longer a 2nd opinion to identify likely ricks, but one can only trust the numbers one has in this new single firm era.)

McAtee scores twice but not first, Collins doesn't score. Standings so far.

image.png

I'm recording the following:

• Number of selections
  • Return to £1 level stakes on first goalscorer
  • Return to £1 level stakes on anytime goalscorer (assuming 1/3 the odds for first goal)
  • Return to 50p each way level stakes on first goalscorer (at 1/3 the odds for the "place")
  • Return to £1 level stakes on last goalscorer
  • Respective ROI for the above and the numbers of winning selections
  • How many players score the different number of goals from 0 to 4 or more

Last goalscorer tracked just out of curiosity, I don't think it's a great bet at the same odds as 1st because of the probability that more last goals will be scored by subs. Number of goals scored also out of curiosity, I'm not capturing prices for brace and hat trick but it's worth seeing how often they occur. (I can compare that to my larger existing data samples and work out what sort of price you'd need for it to be worthwhile relative to the anytime price.)

Bet 3 is Blackett-Taylor at 15/2 with 365 (into 7/1 now)

Took this in the hope that May wouldn't start; can make a case for him at 3/1 first versus odds on quotes for anytime but, all in all, I'm plumping for the bigger price offering the better edge here. The 5/2 for the "place" looks massive (21/10 anytime itself being a massive standout).

18 hours ago, harry_rag said:

Bet 3 is Blackett-Taylor at 15/2 with 365 (into 7/1 now)

Took this in the hope that May wouldn't start; can make a case for him at 3/1 first versus odds on quotes for anytime

Backed the wrong horse there (for this thread at least). May opens the scoring and adds a second while the selection draws a blank. Net profit on the game due to using a freebie on May 1st goal (as per FA Cup thread) but still waiting for the first "full fat" winner in here.

image.png

Lukaku gets the ball rolling in terms of scoring first. The bet on him and the voided one on Joselu only paid 1/4 the odds for the e/w "place" and Rashford was only 1/5 the odds. I'd guess the previous bet on Joselu might have only been 1/4 as well. Went back a bit and didn't see any other instances where it wasn't 1/3 but will keep any eye out for that from now on.

Bet 13 McGuire (Orlando City) at 13/2 with 365

Based on the pre line up prices he’ll be a system bet at 2/1 anytime so it’s fairly obvious to play the first e/w price when the place pays slightly better than the 2/1. Goes up against @alexcaruso808 ‘s inaugural pick of Hernandez but he looks a bit short tonight by comparison.