** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

Group F Predictions > Nov 23rd - Dec 1st

GroupF.jpg

groupffixtures.jpg

European dominance could influence another group as Group F appears to have Belgium and Croatia touted as the firm favourites to qualify. Canada are the fresh face at this year's tournament but they're joined by Morocco who have their fair share of talented players. This might not be as straight forward as the odds suggest for the two European teams. Who are you backing to make the last 16 here?

• 3 weeks later...

Morocco

Many people are seeing this group as done and dusted with Belgium and Croatia tipped to progress but there is potentially a spanner in the works in the form of Morocco. The African nation are ranked 22nd in the FIFA rankings so they shouldn't be taken lightly. Head coach Walid Regragui comes into this tournament with just three games under his belt after replacing the sacked former gaffer Vahid Halilhodzic. As a member of the 2004 Morocco squad that reached the Africa Cup of Nations Final that year, he has proved a popular appointment and it's been 3 games undefeated so far with clean sheets kept in each match. Make no mistake though, the Atlas Lions have their fair share of talented players that could have a huge impact on this tournament. The likes of Achraf Hakimi, Hakim Ziyech, and Youssef En-Nesyri are all playing at the elite level and that's only scratching the surface. Fans of English football will recognise players such as Nayef Aguerd, Ilias Chair, and Sofiane Boufal. I still think they are a little thin in the centre of midfield and that could be what holds them back in the race for 2nd place.

Odds to Win World Cup: 200/1

Odds to Qualify from Group: 2/1

My Prediction: Group Stage

Croatia

There are not many teams out there that are as hit and miss at a World Cup as Croatia. The relatively young nation first entered the competition back in 1998 after the Yugoslavian war saw the Balkan nations gain independence. Vatreni reached the semi-finals in that debut appearance but then exited at the group stage of the 2002 and 2006 tournaments picking up just 1 win from their combined 6 group games. Failure to even qualify for 2010 was then followed by another group stage exit in 2014. However, a run to the final in 2018 inspired by sublime performances of Luka Modric saw them show their current crop still have what it takes to go far. Admittedly, it is 4 years later and a few of those big names from 2018 are no longer around. The team could only reach the last 16 of the 2020 European Championship but recent form under Zlatko Dalic is solid enough with recent wins against Denmark, France, and Austria helping them reach the UEFA Nations League Finals. I can't see them progressing too far in this tournament but there's still life in this old dog yet. Their high-quality midfield including the likes of Modric, Ivan Perisic, Mateo Kovacic, and Marcelo Brozovic will only get them so far.

Odds to Win World Cup: 50/1

Odds to Qualify from Group: 4/9

My Prediction: Last 16

Belgium

Is this finally the year that it all comes together for Belgium? Roberto Martinez's men have been knocking on the door for a number of years now. Despite a 3rd placed finish at the 2018 World Cup with Quarter-Final runs in the 2014 World Cup and both the 2016 and 2020 European Championships it's now or never as this so-called "Golden Generation" begins to age out. The Red Devils still boast some exceptional talents in Kevin De Bruyne, Eden Hazard, and Romelu Lukaku but these are players who have failed to fulfil their promise at international level up until now. Back-to-back defeats heading into this tournament against Netherlands and Egypt isn't the best morale booster but maybe it's exactly what this team needed. Failure to reach the UEFA Nations League Finals was a blow but was it a sign of a team on its way down? I went to watch Wales play Belgium out in Brussels in September and I still feel that if Martinez gets his big players playing then they can beat anyone on their day. That makes them a very dangerous proposition in this tournament and given the projected route I've got for them I wouldn't be surprised if they used their previous tournament trials and tribulations to guide them to the final.

Odds to Win World Cup: 18/1

Odds to Qualify from Group: 1/6

My Prediction: Runners Up

Canada

I've seen a lot of people writing Canada off heading into this tournament but I'm very intrigued to see how they perform. It's a very difficult group for them but they have a number of top drawer players that could inspire them to some decent performances. Head coach John Herdman has done a mightily sterling job to lead them to their first World Cup since 1986. Les Rouges surprised everyone in the CONCACAF section by not only qualifying but topping the final group ahead of Mexico and USA. Herdman boasts a number of quality players in the squad such as Alphonse Davies, Cyle Larin, and Jonathan David. Unfortunately, they are all attack-minded players. The big name in the midfield area is Atiba Hutchinson but he's now 39 years old and he can't carry that middle of the park by himself. The team have suffered from inconsistent results and performances since qualifying but they did sign off their preparations with a morale-boosting 2-1 win over Japan. Herdman has been credited with delivering attacking and entertaining football during qualification but the only problem is that they're not a well-kept secret any more. I'm expecting a brave but ultimately disappointing campaign from the Maple Leafs.

Odds to Win World Cup: 200/1

Odds to Qualify from Group: 3/1

My Prediction: Group Stage

It's been a tournament with a few shock results so far and I'm going to hope that the underdogs have got it all out of their system now because I'm backing a day full of the favourites strutting their stuff on Wednesday. In Group F, we see the early kick-off between Morocco and Croatia. I was tempted to back a draw because I think the African side will be tough to break down but Croatia should have enough quality to sneak a narrow win. The second game is the last of the day and that will see Belgium enter the tournament against huge underdogs Canada. Again, I think Canada will be out to prove a point in their first World Cup in a generation but I'm not sure they'll have enough to beat a Belgian side that look very settled under Roberto Martinez now.

Morocco vs Croatia (Wednesday, 10am GMT)

Croatia to Win @ 6/5 with Sporting Index

Total Goals Scored Under 2.5 @ 8/13 with Betfred

Belgium vs Canada (Wednesday, 7pm GMT)

Belgium HT/FT @ 7/5 with SpreadEx

Belgium -1 @ 6/4 with Betfair

Belgium vs Canada

Finishing third at World Cup 2018 was the best Belgium's ever done in the history of the competition, topping their previous result by one spot since they also finished fourth in 1986. After that, the team reached the quarter-finals in Euro 2020, and they were second in their group in the Nations League, so they can be optimistic ahead of the upcoming World Cup in Qatar. However, the two straight defeats ahead of this tournament should keep the Red Devils alert. The team is coached by Roberto Martinez, who has been at the team's helm since 2016, which is a respectable continuity and another advantage for Belgium. Nevertheless, he cannot count on one of his most prolific players, Romelu Lukaku, who is not available due to an injury.

The last and only time Canada was at the highest stage of international football was back in 1986, in Mexico, when the team lost all three of their games. Now Canada will appear at the World Cup for the second time in their history, which is a huge result for them, but their chances of getting out of the group are a bit higher. Although the Maple Leafs will have a tough task to finish in the top two, their qualifiers campaign was quite encouraging. Canada's head coach John Herdman managed to install a winning mentality in his team as Canada not only qualified for the World Cup but did it by finishing first in the North and Central American WC Qualifiers. Alphonso Davies' absence will be a major blow for the Reds, but this team has quite a few quality players.

Full-Time Winner Odds & Prediction                                                                            

It is going to be an exciting clash, and although Belgium is a favorite, they won't have an easy job. Moreover, we don't think Canada will lose this game, and they might spice up the battle in Group F.

Goals Market Prediction

Belgium managed to keep the clean sheet just once on the previous seven occasions, while Canada has a pretty explosive offense. Therefore, we don't think either team will keep its net intact in this match. 

Canada AH +1 @ 2.03

BTTS Yes @ 1.90

Correct score 2:2 @ 19.50

4 hours ago, Gamblor13 said:

I can see Canada getting something from this. Belgium typically start slow, their defense will be quite surprised with speed of the Canadian attack with Davies-David-Buchanan. However the Belgian attack will probably be too much for a shaky Canadian defense. 

BTTS and Belgium win @3.10 with bet365

Yeah, that's a fair assessment. We've played Belgium countless times down the years and they are prone to fast-paced counter attacks but they can also tear apart even the most organised of back-lines. I think your Belgium to win and both teams to score is a great price.

12 hours ago, harry_rag said:

And Hazard at 3.75, just seen it was matched.

I can't help but feel Hazard is only starting on reputation lately. Trossard is the much more in-form player and even though he ultimately didn't re-produce his Premier League performances last night he still looked livelier. Hazard looks a shadow of the player he once was.

1 hour ago, StevieDay1983 said:

I can't help but feel Hazard is only starting on reputation lately. Trossard is the much more in-form player and even though he ultimately didn't re-produce his Premier League performances last night he still looked livelier. Hazard looks a shadow of the player he once was.

You may be right, hence the drift out to 5.3 which was much bigger than the bookies’ price! The 3.75 second bet was De Bruyne by the way. :$

12 minutes ago, harry_rag said:

You may be right, hence the drift out to 5.3 which was much bigger than the bookies’ price! The 3.75 second bet was De Bruyne by the way. :$

I was wondering why you'd taken a second shorter priced pick on the same player! But I thought "this is Harry, he knows what he's doing!". :lol

The Group F action coming up on Sunday is very interesting viewing. Belgium have a chance to seal their place in the last 16 if they beat Morocco but the African nation will be keen to get something from this game heading into their final group game with Canada. It's the Canadians who face a tricky tie with Croatia and the game has already got some spice after comments made by the Maple Leafs head coach John Herdman where he said his team were going to "eff Croatia up!". I'm not so sure they will! I can see victories for Belgium and Croatia in these matches.

Belgium vs Morocco (Sunday, 1pm GMT)

Belgium to Win @ 10/11 with William Hill

Total Goals Scored Under 2.5 @ 8/11 with Bet365

Croatia vs Canada (Sunday, 4pm GMT)

Croatia to Win @ 4/3 with VBet

BTTS @ 10/11 with Betfair

Croatia vs Canada

Twenty years after Croatia qualified for their first World Cup as an independent country, in which they finished third, Croatia once again surprised everyone and reached the final at the World Cup in Russia. However, Vatreni haven’t enjoyed a successful start here. A goalless draw against Morocco certainly is not enough for their ambitions at this tournament. Although not many people expect this team to reach similar heights in Qatar, Croatia has to be respected and not underestimated. The first of the two tough tasks is ahead of them on Sunday evening, and Luka Modric and the lads need to produce a more efficient display. A victory could see them being much closer to a place in the knockout round.

Canada’s presence in the 2022 World Cup after 36 years means they will be making history against some of the bigwigs in the competition. The Canadians have already played ten matches in 2022 between January and September. However, four losses during that period, meaning they still have some issues to be addressed. They didn’t score in three of the defeat, and while the other six games were clean-sheet victories, it will take more than just good form to win against Croatia. The Maple Leafs need a good plan for the big tournament. With players like Lille’s Jonathan David in the attacking and Alphonso David, who has been a phenomenal winger for Bayern, there is a good stock of experienced players to depend on. The lack of experience on major stages was noticeable against Belgium when Canada suffered a narrow 1-0 defeat. Although they had 20 attempts on goal and missed a penalty, with better performance overall, they couldn’t pick up at least a point. Nevertheless, they will try to fix these issues on Sunday.

It is going to be a close game that can easily go either way. Canada put a better performance in the opening round against a strong opponent, and the CONCACAF team might remain undefeated in this clash.

Goals Market Prediction

We expect both teams to be more efficient in this encounter, as they have pretty talented offenses. That’s why neither side should keep its net intact in this encounter.

Canada AH +0.5 @ 1.80

BTTS Yes @ 1.90

Correct score 1:2 @ 12.50

The Group F finale is set to be a frantic one with Croatia, Morocco, and Belgium all in the running for the two qualification spots. Considering Croatia and Belgium face each other there is a major opportunity for Morocco to get at least a draw against an already-eliminated Canada to progress. However, Canada have impressed so far and won't be pushovers. Walid Regragui's men have kept back-to-back clean sheets though against Croatia and Belgium already so you'd think they should keep a third straight shut out in this tournament against the bottom-placed side in the group. Who will win between Croatia and Belgium? Two teams that have looked to be on the decline and have largely disappointed so far. I wouldn't be surprised if they cancel each other out. I don't feel confident backing either for a win here.

Canada vs Morocco (Thursday, 3pm GMT)

Morocco to Win to Nil @ 13/5 with Unibet

Total Goals Scored Under 2.5 @ 7/10 with VBet

Croatia vs Belgium (Thursday, 3pm GMT)

Draw @ 12/5 with SpreadEx

Total Goals Scored Under 2.5 @ 7/9 with VBet

Croatia vs Belgium

Croatia enjoyed a memorable campaign in the World Cup 2018, and they want to repeat it this time. However, things haven't gone smoothly for them so far. Morocco held Vatreni to a goalless draw, while Canada's early goal scared Croatian fans. Nevertheless, this team refused to die, and they played excellently under pressure to clinch a convincing 4-1 victory. That success launched them to the top of the table, but the Red Devils are just a point behind them. Their fate depends only on their display in the upcoming match, as remaining undefeated could see them progress to the Round of 16.

It's been a highly concerning World Cup campaign for Belgium, who looked sluggish but got the job done on matchday one against Canada before recently firing a blank and falling to a 2-0 defeat to Morocco on Sunday. Long-term coach Roberto Martinez must now rally the troops for this tournament-defining showdown. Indeed Belgium's World Cup campaign has been fraught with doubt and suspicion. There is a growing concern that Martinez is trying to cling to Belgium's 'Golden Generation' from four years ago. Still, the reality hasn't allowed his aging stars to recreate the magic of 2018, leading to some very lukewarm showings. The Red Devils need to show their best display so far in the tournament to secure the top-two finish in the group stage.

It is going to be a close game that can easily go either way. However, Croatia seemed more confident in this tournament, while the atmosphere in Belgium's locker room seems far from ideal. Therefore, we don't think Croatia will lose this match.

Goals Market Prediction

Belgium won't surrender without a fight, and we believe the Red Devils are able to find the opponent's back of the net at least once. That's why neither team should keep the clean sheet in this encounter.

Croatia AH +0 @ 2.00

BTTS Yes @ 1.80

Correct score 2:1 @ 10.00