Racing Chat - Saturday 22nd October

Newbury 1.50
Only nine assemble for the 7F two year old event Horris Hill Stakes, a Group 3 contest. Not many of the nine have tasted soft ground in the racecourse careers but one who was impressive on his racecourse debut at Sandown was the Charlie Appleby trained Striking Star who looked a promising sort when sluicing through the mud to a comfortable win. Sure to have improved and with the Appleby horses, especially the juveniles, in such fine form this week can take this step up in grade in his stride under William Buick. The other two who have proved they can handle the mud in winning last time out are Clive Cox’s Ancestral Land a 3L winner at Chepstow and Promoter who won on the same card at Chepstow by a length and a half. The other six all have questions to answer on the ground and it’s Striking Star for me.

STRIKING STAR 3 points win @ 9/4 Coral

Cheltenham 2.05
Next up is a 3m 1F class 2 handicap chase where upon first look I was very keen on one but when checking the bookmakers odds was rather disappointing in the price! The horse in question is Nigel Twiston-Davies’ The Hollow Ginge who’s form fell apart after running an excellent head second in this race last year. Because of his four poor efforts since he’s dropped to a handicap mark 10lb lower than last year and as he proved last season he goes well fresh and despite the shorter than ideal price (he’s actually been as big as 12/1 during the week!) is the bet here. Fergal O’Brien’s Captain Cattistock is two from two at the track and looks one of the dangers along with The Wolf who’s form ties in with that one from Musselburgh over further last season and has had his wind done since.

THE HOLLOW GINGE 2 points win @ 7/2 William Hill

Newbury 2.25
Only eight go to post for the Group 3 St Simon Stakes and we have a very warm favourite here in Hamish who will be very hard to beat on his favoured soft ground. William Haggas’ six year old will have to carry a 3lb penalty for his group 3 victories this year at Chester in May and Ascot three weeks ago. Sandwiched between those two success’s was a 3/4L second to Kyprios in the Irish St Leger and we know what that one’s done since in winning by a big margin in France. That’s top form and with the soft ground he loves he’s nap material to my eyes. The biggest threat to him may well be Freddie and Martyn Meade’s Lone Eagle who although not showing a great deal in two starts this season is three from three on soft ground and if back to his Irish Derby second from last year looks the one to chase the favourite home. MaxVega was runner up in this last year and will love conditions but may be playing just for a place again whilst Saeed Bin Suroor’s Passion And Glory also has place claims. This is all about Hamish though and at the prices I’ll take him to beat fellow mudlark Lone Eagle.

HAMISH to beat LONE EAGLE 1 point straight forecast

Cheltenham 2.40
An intriguing five runner contest featuring two of last years leading four year olds. The 2m 87 yards Masterson Holdings Hurdle features Triumph Hurdle third Pied Piper and his old rival from Aintree Knight Salute. At Aintree the pair dead heated with Milton Harris’s Knight Salute awarded the race in the stewards room. He had previously flopped here behind Gordon Elliott’s Pied Piper and you just wonder whether this track is ideal for him. There shouldn’t be much between them on Aintree form mind with preference for the Irish raider who was so impressive over course and distance on his prep race for the Triumph on trials day in January. Both will have to shoulder a 8lb penalty here and it may just be worth taking the pair on with the only four year old in the race in Joseph O’Brien’s Bella Scintilla. As a filly she receives both the age and sex allowances so in effect receives 15lb from the front pair in the market. She joined O’Brien having raced in France placing several times over hurdles and fences in September and made a winning debut for the Irish trainer when beating Still Ciel by 3 1/4L at Killarney earlier this month with the pair pulling well clear of the remainder. The runner up gave the form a boost when winning on Thursday afternoon at Thurles and with Tom O’Brien taking the mount is maybe the value bet to cause an upset receiving so much weight and having fitness on her side. The one worry mind is the fact that she jumped out to the right at Killarney and she won’t be able to do that at this left handed track.

BELLA SCINTILLA 1 point win @ 10/1 bet365

Doncaster 3.00
Nine go to post for this listed 6F Doncaster Stakes for two year olds. We have a a warm favourite in Aidan O’Brien’s Aesop’s Fables who has to shoulder a 5lb penalty for a Group 2 victory at The Curragh back in August. Out of his depth in the Dewhurst last time my first impressions were that I wanted to take him on here at round the even money mark but the harder I looked at the opposition I couldn’t make a case for anything to beat him! John and Thady Gosden’s Bresson is rated officially 13lb inferior to the favourite and the first time blinkers would need to have a big affect to bridge that gap. The biggest danger to Aesops Fables may actually come from his stable mate Hispanic who was an eight length winner at The Curragh 9 days ago but Ryan Moore appears to have chosen Aesops Fables and he’s the one to be with here despite the short price.

AESOPS FABLES 2 points win @ 6/5 William Hill

Cheltenham 3.15
A competitive class 2 two mile handicap chase features seven runners with the weights headed by Gary Moore’s Editeur Du Gite who rides this track well having won two of his three starts at this track including two wins here last winter. Out of his depth when pulled up at Aintree in the Melling Chase when last seen he’s the class horse here and if ready to go looks the one to beat. Laura Morgan has done a terrific job with Clear The Runway who’s now won his last five starts rising some 20lb and although he’s not over looked easily this does represent a further step up in class. Willie Mullins sends over Dads Lad who failed to exploit a much lower hurdle mark in handicap company last time out at Listowel and as with any Mullins horse should not be discounted. I’ll stick with the top weight to get back to winning ways hopefully forcing it from the front.

EDITEUR DU GITE 2 points win @ 7/2 bet365

Doncaster 3.35
The big race of the day is the Vertem Futurity Trophy, a Group one contest for two year olds run over a mile. Aidan O’Brien has won this with some decent juveniles over the years including the likes of High Chaparral, St Nicholas Abbey, Camelot and last years winner Luxembourg. A total of ten wins all together from the last twenty five years and whatever he runs in this race has to be given the upmost respect. This year he saddles favourite Auguste Rodin and outsider Salt Lake City. Like his favourite in the previous race in Aesops Fables my first impression was that I wanted to take him on as he didn’t over impress me when winning a Group 2 at Leopardstown last time with just over three lengths covering the first four home. Obviously O’Brien could of chosen any of his strong juvenile team to run and he has to be given upmost respect but at around even money I can let him win. John and Thady Gosden have the second favourite in Epictetus who runs here rather than the Horris Hill at Newbury. An impressive debut maiden winner he ran a stormer to chase home Godolphin’s Silver Knott in the Autumn Stakes with rivals today Holloway Boy and Dancing Magic 1 3/4L and 2 1/2L behind respectively. He was receiving 3lb from the winner that day but he should be thereabouts although he wouldn’t want the ground to get too testing. I’m going to take a chance with King Of Steel each way hoping all eight line up. He looked a horse of potential when easy to back on his debut at Nottingham only ten days ago on soft ground over a mile and a bit powering away. That form is someway short of what is needed but he looked useful that day and any further showers would not inconvenience him. Adam Kirby rode him that day stating afterwards that he was one of the biggest two year olds he’s ever ridden!

KING OF STEEL 1 point each way @ 12/1 1/5th 123

Cheltenham 3.50
A very competitive three mile class 2 Pertemps Network qualifier with many in with a chance. Six of the eighteen runners are trained in Ireland which further muddies the waters. Botox Has trained by Gary Moore has been well backed ante post during the week and has claims along with Gordon Elliott’s top weight Salvador Ziggy who’s making his handicap debut here. Last years 4th Panic Attack takes my eye trained by David Pipe and owned by the owners of Adagio who they sadly lost a couple of weeks ago on the gallops. Last seen when runner up in the Long Distance handicap hurdle at Haydock in May he can play a major part in the finish if straight enough. The other one I like is the Fergal O’Brien debutant Silver Sheen. Formerly trained in Ireland by Jessie Harrington, he won a similar contest at Warwick back in January of 2020 and is only 2lb higher here. O’Brien’s horses are usually ready to go at this meeting and with Paddy Brennan choosing him over Ask Dillon can run well. A tough contest but with additional places I’ll play both Panic Attack and Silver Sheen.

PANIC ATTACK 1 point each way @ 17/2 William Hill 1/5th 123456
SILVER SHEEN 1 point each way @ 14/1 Betfred 1/5th 12345

Doncaster 4.10
A 5F class 2 handicap is up next for three year olds and upwards. It has a very open look about it with the weights headed by Ed Walker’s Came From The Dark who will relish any cut in the ground. He’s a player here along with John Butler’s Designer who finished 1 3/4L ahead of him last time in a listed contest at Ascot on identical terms and may come out best of that duo with Ryan Sexton’s 5lb claim swinging it in his favour. Kimngrace looked good when winning at York last time and has the services of Ryan Moore but he’s been raised 8lb and is unproven if the ground went soft. Bottom weight Lullaby Baby is very interesting. Trained by Karl Burke, who also has Fast Response, ridden by stable jockey Clifford Lee who couldn’t do the weight on the three year old, this lightly raced three year old who’s won three of her eleven runs career ran a stormer when splitting two horses rated 17lb and 18lb higher than her in a Musselburgh conditions stakes 12 days ago and with the handicapper not moving her is the selection here under Franny Norton.

LULLABY BAY 1 point each way @ 6/1 William Hill 1/5th 1234

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.