Racing Chat - Saturday 20th August

York 1.50
A field of eight go to post for the 1m 177 yards group 3 Strensall Stakes with a split of four three year olds and four older horses. Favourite and for me the most likely winner is the John and Thady Gosden trained Mighty Ulysses who followed up an excellent 5th beaten under a length in the group one St James Palace Stakes at Royal Ascot by winning a listed contest at Newmarket’s July course from Owen Burrows Alflaila who re-opposes here on identical terms. The latter has come on from that effort to win a listed contest at Pontefract and is maybe the one to chase Frankie Dettori’s mount home. Of the older horses William Haggas’s Bashkirova has to carry a 3lb penalty with Cadillac maybe the best of the older brigade but this is all about the Gosden - Dettori runner Mighty Ulysses.

MIGHTY ULYSSES 2 points win @ 6/4 William Hill

Sandown 2.05
Eleven go to post for the one mile group 3 Atalanta Stakes for fillies and mares. Three of the twelve are three year olds and that’s where I’m looking for the winner. John and Thady Gosden saddle the likely favourite following the eleventh hour defection of the highly promising Laurel who would of been the selection here. In her absence Grande Dame who looked good winning a listed contest over course and distance 7 weeks ago holds every chance. The best of the older brigade may be Kevin Ryan’s Fonteyn who’s form ties in with Grande Dame.

GRANDE DAME 2 points win @ 2/1 bet365

York 2.25
A smaller than usual turnout for the Melrose Handicap run over the Ebor trip of 1m 5F 188 yards for three year olds only. It has a very open looks about it with several holding chances. Charlie Hill’s Inverness and William Haggas’s Soulcombe were third and fourth respectively in a decent 12F handicap at Goodwood last time where a head split the pair. The latter was a real eye catcher and I expect him to turn the tables on Inverness although why there is such a big price discrepancy between the pair is beyond me. Charlie Appleby’s top weight Wild Crusade should be suited by this longer trip and was put up 9lb for his three runner handicap victory at Ascot with the runner up winning a decent race since to boost the form. Appleby also saddles handicap debutant Al Nafir with Frankie Dettori in the saddle stepping up half a mile. Andrew Balding has won this contest the last two years and saddles Soul Stopper who’s chasing a hat trick of victories and despite a 8lb rise for his latest win at Chester is not out of this. A tough race but I’ll go for Wild Crusade each way with the extra places to give Appleby and Buick a welcome winner.

WILD CRUSADE 1 point each way 6/1 bet365 1/5th 1234

Sandown 2.40
Only seven have declared for this group 3 Solario Stakes run over 7F for two year olds. All seven have a chance of sorts with Peter Chapple-Hyams’s Defence Of Fort impressing when winning nicely on his debut at Ascot six weeks ago (2nd and 3rd beaten since though 4th won nursery here on Thursday). William Haggas’s Desert Hero also looked smart when winning at Haydock 51 days ago but that was on soft ground so he’ll be facing a totally different terrain today. I was impressed by Andrew Balding’s The Foxes when he won at Goodwood and his trainer spoke highly of him afterwards. He looks a bit overpriced. Alice Haynes’ Lady Bullet hasn’t been seen since finishing 6th in the Albany Stakes at Royal Ascot and is yet another with a chance whilst the Godolphin runner Silver Knott looked good when landing the odds at Kempton earlier this month with his debut 4th to Chaldean when an 11/10 favourite looking even better now following that one’s win in the Acomb earlier this week. He’s the selection in a tough heat.

SILVER KNOTT 2 points win @ 7/2 bet365

York 3.00
A field of ten go to post for the group 2 City Of York Stakes run over 7F and this year has a wide open look about it. The key piece of form to look at for this race is the Lennox Stakes from Goodwood 25 days ago, Andrew Balding’s Sandrine came late to beat Kinross a neck on the line with Pogo (disappointed since) a further short head away in third and William Haggas’s Sacred a further one and a half lengths back in fifth. Sandrine is 3lb worse off with the trio that finished close up behind her that day and maybe Kinross will come out best of that group although he’s a horse that has always preferred to get his toe in so could do with some rain. Hugo Palmer’s Brad The Brief is actually the highest rated of the the ten and shouldn’t be discounted whilst it’s the David Evan’s trained Rohaan that I’ll be playing here. He’s been consistent on his last three starts in top class sprints winning the Wokingham at Ascot off of top weight for the second year in a row, a decent 4th (beaten 1 3/4L) to Minzaal in a group 3 at Newbury and an excellent running on 4th (beaten a length) in the Prix Maurice de Gheest at Deauville. The question with him is whether he will be as effective at 7F as he is at 6F but the latter contest was 6 1/2F and he was finishing strongly so I’ll take a chance that Adam Kirby can time it and he’s the selection.

ROHAAN 1 point each way @ 7/1 bet365 1/5th 123

York 3.35
A maximum field of twenty two assemble for the meeting’s feature handicap - the Sky Bet Ebor which is worth a guaranteed half a million pounds. Run over just short of 1m 6F you need to be a group horse to win it. My ante post synopsis from when the weights came can be seen here -Both my selections then have made the race but unfortunately both have been given shocking draws - Get Shirty in stall 24 and Okita Soushi in stall 22. I do expect both to run well but you need everything in your favour and that won’t help although Muntahaa did win from stall 21 in 2018 so maybe not all’s lost. As you would expect many have chances and I can’t resist small each way wagers (with enhanced places) on Ian William’s Alfred Boucher who crept into the race having won comfortably here on Wednesday and if none the worse can run well under a 4lb penalty and Earl Of Tyrone for the Irish trainer Paddy Twomey who’s on a four timer and appears to have been laid out for this. Both are drawn next to each other in stalls 8 and 9. There’s plenty of others with decent chances including the William Haggas pair Candleford and Gaasse with Tom Marquand seemingly surprisingly picking the former. Irish trainers have won two of the last three renewals and the most unexposed in the field is Ger Lyons’ Licence who can also run well from a wide draw.

Advised ante-post :
GET SHIRTY 1 point each way @ 16/1 1/4 1/4 1234
OKITA SOUSHI 1 point each way @ 18/1 1/4 1234

EARL OF TYRONE 1 point each way @ 6/1 bet365 1/5th 123456
ALFRED BOUCHER 1 point each way @ 14/1 bet365 123456

York 4.10
A very competitive maximum field of twenty go to post for this 6F heritage handicap.
Plenty of these ran in the Stewards Cup at Goodwood three weeks ago which was won by Michael Dods’ Comanche Falls (up 6lb today) by a short head from Archie Watson’s Tabdeed (up 5lb) with the well backed Edward Bethell trained Regional (up 3lb) 1 1/2L back in third. Swedish raider Good Eye was a neck away in 4th though was beaten here earlier in the week with Tinto 5th, Summerghand (down 3lb) 9th and Mr Magyu (down 2lb) in 10th. I wouldn’t be surprised if Summerghand came out the best of those as he’s had little luck this season including when badly drawn in the Great St Wilfrid since (won his small group of 4 on the far side when all the action was on the near side). A tough handicap where I’ll take Regional and Summerghand against the field to small stakes each way with enhanced places.

SUMMERGHAND 1 point each way @ 10/1 bet365 1/5th 123456
REGIONAL 1 point each way @ 9/1 bet365 1/5th 123456

Benaud    3 35 Y      { put up in my  posting on 14th aug  @ 38/1]

oneforthegutter  5 20 Y    oneforthegutter   1/10 pt   ew    40/1

yimou   5 35  San      yimou       1/10 pt win   20/1

okita soushi   3 35    1/10 pt win  15/1

good birthday  3 50 san   1/10 pt win  30/1

P/L   +  149.75  pts

Edited by black rabbit
selection

9 hours ago, richard-westwood said:

Ebor 

Earl of Tyrone  9.0 6/1 

Alfred boucher  8.9 16.0 

Euchen glen  8.6 15.0 

Candleford   8.4 15.0.

Usual open race ...but some big prices around ...I'll try 5pt wins top 4 

i like Euclen Glen but i also like 66/1 shot Quenelie D'or how did it rate mate? as i think it is way, way over priced @ 66/1.

Edited by Tedthewolf

While all the attention is at York   there are some Raiders at Deauville in a half decent race card that is easy to slip under the radar

1333 - Prix Daphnis Stakes (Group 3)
#3 Checkandchallenge        C Soumillion / W Knight

1450 - Prix De La Nonette Stakes (Group 2)
#4 Trevauance                     T Piccone / J Harrington
#7 Sea Silk Road                  M Barzalona / W Haggis
#8 History                           I Mendizabal  /  A O'Brien

1525 - Prix du Calvados Stakes (Group 2)
#2 Sparking Beauty            M Barzalona / R Hughes
#4 Never Ending Story       I Mendizabal / A O'Brien
#6 Vernet                           T Bachelot / J O'Brien

1600 - Criterium du Fonds European de l'Elevange Listed Stakes
#6 Dear My Friend            M Barzalona / M Johnston
#8 Victoria Road               I Mendizabal / A O'Brien

Also at Saratoga
2126 - Lake Placid Stakes
#1 With The Moonlight       L Saez / C Appleby

Edited by ipswich45

3.35 York I love these big races on a sat!

Two  at big fat prices i really think will outrun there odds are-

QUENELLE D'OR  66/1 bog 6 places NONE RUNNER

CALLING THE WIND 33/1 bog  6 places

Of the  shorter ones i've had a  bit e/w on  late fast finishing old boy  EUCHEN GLEN 12/1 what a great horse he has been for the shrew d Mr Goldie.....but i am  very sweet on my 2 outsider going very well today  fingers crossed

Edited by Tedthewolf

9 hours ago, Tedthewolf said:

i like Euclen Glen but i also like 66/1 shot Quenelie D'or how did it rate mate? as i think it is way, way over priced @ 66/1.

It's york ...tbh the results leave a lot to be desired ...the draw bias I've noticed keeps jumping from rail to rail and you never know why which is messing things up ....euchen glen ill be surprised if he doesn't run a good race .....the other one didn't rate very highly but he's a non runner anyway ?

5 minutes ago, richard-westwood said:

It's york ...tbh the results leave a lot to be desired ...the draw bias I've noticed keeps jumping from rail to rail and you never know why which is messing things up ....euchen glen ill be surprised if he doesn't run a good race .....the other one didn't rate very highly but he's a non runner anyway ?

Damn didn't notice it was a NR  thanks anyway?

4.10 york not overly happy with 7/1 for SUMMEGHAND  would  have liked 10's but have taken it e/w  6 places bog  should at least get placed.  

An interesting  front runner is  SALEYMN 16/1 e/w  6 places bog  dropped to 6f for the first time could be hard to catch.

ROYAL SICMATAR  33/1 -40/1  could go well at a very big price and is worth a few shillings e/w imo.

3 hours ago, Tedthewolf said:

3.35 York I love these big races on a sat!

Two  at big fat prices i really think will outrun there odds are-

QUENELLE D'OR  66/1 bog 6 places NONE RUNNER

CALLING THE WIND 33/1 bog  6 places

Of the  shorter ones i've had a  bit e/w on  late fast finishing old boy  EUCHEN GLEN 12/1 what a great horse he has been for the shrew d Mr Goldie.....but i am  very sweet on my 2 outsider going very well today  fingers crossed

Top 2 are none runner i'm now on  the Gosden pair at 14/1 & 22/1 e/w TRAWLERMAN/GLOBAL  STORM

Loads of PL members are interested today.  Let's hope I haven't overdone it on stakes .

1.50 Yk Mighty Ulluses (PL Nap and @TheBrigadier selection.  Gone odds on now with 9/1 non-runner, I'll pass

2.25 Yk Wild Crusade 1 pt win at 5.7 @TheBrigadierew at 6/1.  Anyone who wants to back @TheBrigadier's selections really needs to get on early, almost as soon as he publishes because invariably the odds shrink badly on the day of racing

3.00 YK Rohaan 0.60 ew at 7/1 @TheBrigadier.  Have got his price on this one

3.35 YK The Ebor. Earl Of Tyrone 0.40 win cover bet at 9/2 @richard-westwoodtop rated; Alfred Boucher 0.30 ew at 10/1 @Johnrobertson's nap 14/1, PLTR ew 14/1, @richard-westwood2nd top rated; Enemy 0.30 ew at 20/1 @Zilzalian's nap and Benaud 0.30 ew at 25/1 @black rabbitRC selection 38/1.

4.10 Yk  Loads of PL members have bet on this one.  I can't back Summerghand; I lost on it last time and don't trust it today.  I will let it win at any price.  Probably spent too much on this and should have left the race alone but here are the selections for fun.  Regional 0.60 ew at 8/1 PLTR & @richard-westwood2nd top rated.  Saleymm 0.30 ew 12/1 @Tedthewolf's 14/1 ew selection, Royal Scimitar 0.15 ew at 80/1 @Tedthewolfew, Mr Wagyu 0.30 ew at 12/1 @silver foxnap ew at 14/1 and Gulliver 0.15 ew at 22/1 @MCLARKEew £20 challenge selection and Mums Tipple 0.40 ew.  This is my own selection; I just like the horse.  an extravagant 3.80 pts spent

4.45 Yk Rocket Rodney PLTR 13/8 best price now 7/4, Too short for me

5.20 Yk Phantom flight PLTR at 7/2; lucky to get 3/1 so not for me unless in a multiple that I have no time for today.  Piecederistance 0.15 ew at 22/1 @Ferki's ew nap

2.40 San Silver Knot @TheBrigadier's selection at 7/2.  The price has gone to best price 15/8 and has usurped Desert Hero into being the second favourite.  Too short for me

3.50 San Victory Chime 0.15 ew at 25/1 @Nigwilliamew 5 places £20 challenge bet

5.35 San Marnie James 0.30 ew at 12/1 @mick33win nap at 16/1 

Total spend = 9.60 stakes

Good luck to all

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RESULTS UPDATE

Well, I definitely played the 4.10 at York all wrong.  Since I didn't like Summerghand I should have left the race alone or at least had an insurance cover bet to save stakes.  Both Richard and Ted The Wolf highlighted the horse + the Brigadier.  I retrieved 1.02 from Mr Wagyu bit that wasn't enough.  A loss of 7.68 almost wipes out the 8.21 profit form yesterday. MTD -38.94 and YTD -241.12

I will continue trying to make the most of PL members tips for the rest of August plus hopefully I should get a bit of time for my own selections too.  

Sunday series at Sandown tomorrow so maybe I will find a bet or two.

Edited by The Equaliser
RESULTS UPDATE

York trends

Last ran more than 27 days ago, 1 from 31

Not 1st or 2nd last time, 2 from 42

Odds greater than 9/2, 2 from 47

This leaves ALFLAILA at 11/4

Odds 12/1 to 16/1, 7 from 60, AE 2.61. This leaves INVERNESS, SHEER ROCKS and SAVVY KNIGHT

Beaten favourite, 4 from 31, AE 2.04

This leaves SAVVY KNIGHT, 12/1, 4 places

Last ran less than 24 days ago, 1 from 32

Age = 3, 5 from 26, AE 1.82

Draw > 8, 0 from 29

This leaves SANDRINE at 7/1

Last ran less than 37 days ago, 1 from 81

Age 6 or 7, 5 from 52, AE 2.33.. This leaves GET SHIRTY and RAYMOND TUSK

Not in the 1st 9 in the betting, 0 from 76

This leaves GET SHIRTY at 16/1, 6 places

1st last time, 1 from 29

Drawn 7 to 10, 4 from 27, AE 1.61

4th to 8th in the betting, 4 from 43, AE 1.53

This leaves THUNDER MOOR at 22/1

3.00 York

Difficult race probably best avoided but my first chance of the day to sit down for tea and a biscuit. So-

Sandrine 1pt win.

Excellent form and looking strong today. Best I've got in 5 minutes analysis.

@MCLARKE just noticed we have the same pick. Good luck to us both.

Edited by maxironchin

On 8/19/2022 at 12:24 PM, richard-westwood said:

Ebor 

Earl of Tyrone  9.0 6/1 

Alfred boucher  8.9 16.0 

Euchen glen  8.6 15.0 

Candleford   8.4 15.0.

Usual open race ...but some big prices around ...I'll try 5pt wins top 4 

Can't believe it pipped in a photo again 2nd and 3rd 

On 8/19/2022 at 8:56 AM, The Brigadier said:
York 1.50
A field of eight go to post for the 1m 177 yards group 3 Strensall Stakes with a split of four three year olds and four older horses. Favourite and for me the most likely winner is the John and Thady Gosden trained Mighty Ulysses who followed up an excellent 5th beaten under a length in the group one St James Palace Stakes at Royal Ascot by winning a listed contest at Newmarket’s July course from Owen Burrows Alflaila who re-opposes here on identical terms. The latter has come on from that effort to win a listed contest at Pontefract and is maybe the one to chase Frankie Dettori’s mount home. Of the older horses William Haggas’s Bashkirova has to carry a 3lb penalty with Cadillac maybe the best of the older brigade but this is all about the Gosden - Dettori runner Mighty Ulysses.

MIGHTY ULYSSES 2 points win @ 6/4 William Hill

Sandown 2.05
Eleven go to post for the one mile group 3 Atalanta Stakes for fillies and mares. Three of the twelve are three year olds and that’s where I’m looking for the winner. John and Thady Gosden saddle the likely favourite following the eleventh hour defection of the highly promising Laurel who would of been the selection here. In her absence Grande Dame who looked good winning a listed contest over course and distance 7 weeks ago holds every chance. The best of the older brigade may be Kevin Ryan’s Fonteyn who’s form ties in with Grande Dame.

GRANDE DAME 2 points win @ 2/1 bet365

York 2.25
A smaller than usual turnout for the Melrose Handicap run over the Ebor trip of 1m 5F 188 yards for three year olds only. It has a very open looks about it with several holding chances. Charlie Hill’s Inverness and William Haggas’s Soulcombe were third and fourth respectively in a decent 12F handicap at Goodwood last time where a head split the pair. The latter was a real eye catcher and I expect him to turn the tables on Inverness although why there is such a big price discrepancy between the pair is beyond me. Charlie Appleby’s top weight Wild Crusade should be suited by this longer trip and was put up 9lb for his three runner handicap victory at Ascot with the runner up winning a decent race since to boost the form. Appleby also saddles handicap debutant Al Nafir with Frankie Dettori in the saddle stepping up half a mile. Andrew Balding has won this contest the last two years and saddles Soul Stopper who’s chasing a hat trick of victories and despite a 8lb rise for his latest win at Chester is not out of this. A tough race but I’ll go for Wild Crusade each way with the extra places to give Appleby and Buick a welcome winner.

WILD CRUSADE 1 point each way 6/1 bet365 1/5th 1234

Sandown 2.40
Only seven have declared for this group 3 Solario Stakes run over 7F for two year olds. All seven have a chance of sorts with Peter Chapple-Hyams’s Defence Of Fort impressing when winning nicely on his debut at Ascot six weeks ago (2nd and 3rd beaten since though 4th won nursery here on Thursday). William Haggas’s Desert Hero also looked smart when winning at Haydock 51 days ago but that was on soft ground so he’ll be facing a totally different terrain today. I was impressed by Andrew Balding’s The Foxes when he won at Goodwood and his trainer spoke highly of him afterwards. He looks a bit overpriced. Alice Haynes’ Lady Bullet hasn’t been seen since finishing 6th in the Albany Stakes at Royal Ascot and is yet another with a chance whilst the Godolphin runner Silver Knott looked good when landing the odds at Kempton earlier this month with his debut 4th to Chaldean when an 11/10 favourite looking even better now following that one’s win in the Acomb earlier this week. He’s the selection in a tough heat.

SILVER KNOTT 2 points win @ 7/2 bet365

York 3.00
A field of ten go to post for the group 2 City Of York Stakes run over 7F and this year has a wide open look about it. The key piece of form to look at for this race is the Lennox Stakes from Goodwood 25 days ago, Andrew Balding’s Sandrine came late to beat Kinross a neck on the line with Pogo (disappointed since) a further short head away in third and William Haggas’s Sacred a further one and a half lengths back in fifth. Sandrine is 3lb worse off with the trio that finished close up behind her that day and maybe Kinross will come out best of that group although he’s a horse that has always preferred to get his toe in so could do with some rain. Hugo Palmer’s Brad The Brief is actually the highest rated of the the ten and shouldn’t be discounted whilst it’s the David Evan’s trained Rohaan that I’ll be playing here. He’s been consistent on his last three starts in top class sprints winning the Wokingham at Ascot off of top weight for the second year in a row, a decent 4th (beaten 1 3/4L) to Minzaal in a group 3 at Newbury and an excellent running on 4th (beaten a length) in the Prix Maurice de Gheest at Deauville. The question with him is whether he will be as effective at 7F as he is at 6F but the latter contest was 6 1/2F and he was finishing strongly so I’ll take a chance that Adam Kirby can time it and he’s the selection.

ROHAAN 1 point each way @ 7/1 bet365 1/5th 123

York 3.35
A maximum field of twenty two assemble for the meeting’s feature handicap - the Sky Bet Ebor which is worth a guaranteed half a million pounds. Run over just short of 1m 6F you need to be a group horse to win it. My ante post synopsis from when the weights came can be seen here -Both my selections then have made the race but unfortunately both have been given shocking draws - Get Shirty in stall 24 and Okita Soushi in stall 22. I do expect both to run well but you need everything in your favour and that won’t help although Muntahaa did win from stall 21 in 2018 so maybe not all’s lost. As you would expect many have chances and I can’t resist small each way wagers (with enhanced places) on Ian William’s Alfred Boucher who crept into the race having won comfortably here on Wednesday and if none the worse can run well under a 4lb penalty and Earl Of Tyrone for the Irish trainer Paddy Twomey who’s on a four timer and appears to have been laid out for this. Both are drawn next to each other in stalls 8 and 9. There’s plenty of others with decent chances including the William Haggas pair Candleford and Gaasse with Tom Marquand seemingly surprisingly picking the former. Irish trainers have won two of the last three renewals and the most unexposed in the field is Ger Lyons’ Licence who can also run well from a wide draw.

Advised ante-post :
GET SHIRTY 1 point each way @ 16/1 1/4 1/4 1234
OKITA SOUSHI 1 point each way @ 18/1 1/4 1234

EARL OF TYRONE 1 point each way @ 6/1 bet365 1/5th 123456
ALFRED BOUCHER 1 point each way @ 14/1 bet365 123456

York 4.10
A very competitive maximum field of twenty go to post for this 6F heritage handicap.
Plenty of these ran in the Stewards Cup at Goodwood three weeks ago which was won by Michael Dods’ Comanche Falls (up 6lb today) by a short head from Archie Watson’s Tabdeed (up 5lb) with the well backed Edward Bethell trained Regional (up 3lb) 1 1/2L back in third. Swedish raider Good Eye was a neck away in 4th though was beaten here earlier in the week with Tinto 5th, Summerghand (down 3lb) 9th and Mr Magyu (down 2lb) in 10th. I wouldn’t be surprised if Summerghand came out the best of those as he’s had little luck this season including when badly drawn in the Great St Wilfrid since (won his small group of 4 on the far side when all the action was on the near side). A tough handicap where I’ll take Regional and Summerghand against the field to small stakes each way with enhanced places.

SUMMERGHAND 1 point each way @ 10/1 bet365 1/5th 123456
REGIONAL 1 point each way @ 9/1 bet365 1/5th 123456

10/1 & 7/2 winners today plus 6/1 and 14/1 places in Ebor. A profit of 6.67 points on day making it a profit at the Ebor meeting 0f 39.58 points. Have a great weekend everyone and hope you've all found a winner or two this week.