Racing Chat - Friday 13th May

York 1.50

16 fillies go to post for the listed Marygate Fillies Stakes run over 5F for two year old’s. Richard Hannon’s Amo Racing owned Miami Girl looked a bit special when an impressive 5 1/2L winner on her debut at Newmarket. She apparently lives on her nerves a bit but if she can re-produce that run here should be hard to beat. There’s plenty of other promising two year old fillies in opposition including David Loughnane’s Carmela, Alice Hayne’s Fix You and Karl Burke’s Yashat but I’m sticking with the visual impact that Miami Girl made on her debut. Rossa Ryan rides again today.

MIAMI GIRL 2 points win @ 7/2 BetVictor

Newbury 2.05

A disappointing turnout for this 6F class 2 handicap with just seven declaring. Despite the numbers it has a very open look about it with the outsider only a 7/1 chance. Charlie Hills’ Ibiza Rocks was a bit disappointing on his re-appearance and drops down to 6F from 7F today. He has claims along with Mitrosonfire who was a progressive three year old sprinter last season winning four times. William Muir and Chris Grassick train him and if straight enough could be the one here with good ground likely to suit him well. In a competitive sprint I’ll play him to small stakes.

MITROSONFIRE 1 point win @ 13/2 William Hill

York 2.25

A dozen three year old fillies go to post for this listed Michael Seely Memorial Fillies Stakes run over a mile. John and Thady Gosden appears to have some decent three year old fillies on their hands this season including Wednesday’s Musidora winner Emily Upjohn and last years top rated filly Inspiral and saddle their Ascot winner Grande Dame here. She impressed me when winning that day as she looked in trouble coming into the straight but when the penny dropped she circled the field and won like a good horse. Her connections have since entered her for the Group 1 Coronation Stakes and the hint should be taken here. Her big danger appears to be the William Haggas trained Perfect News who has the form in the book and was a 4 1/2L 4th in the Nell Gwyn behind subsequent 1000 Guineas winner Cachet. I was mightily impressed by Grande Dame’s win at Ascot and she could be very good so gets the vote for the in form team of the Gosden’s and Frankie Dettori.

GRANDE DAME 2 points win @ 5/2 Bet365

York 3.00

A dozen handicappers go to post for the Paddy Power “I Love Steak” Handicap run over 1m 2 1/2F. I have a strong fancy here in the Tom Clover trained Rogue Bear who’s caught many peoples eyes in his two runs this season in valuable handicaps at Doncaster and Newbury. He’s stepping up in trip here but a quick look at his breeding shows plenty of stamina on his distaff side and he looks sure to run his race here so warrants a strong bet. Top weight Belloccio has always been held in high regard by his trainer David Menuisier though is 5lb higher now than when winning the Roseberry Handicap at Kempton 25 days ago and may chase the selection home.

ROGUE BEAR 3 points win @ 3/1 Bet365

York 3.35

A small but select turnout of five for this year’s renewal of the Yorkshire Cup a group 2 contest run over 14F of the Knavesmire. Any softening of the ground would very much be in the favour of Max Vega and Tashkan but this may be fought out by the eight year old super star Stradivarius and two year younger mare Search For A Song trained in Ireland by Dermot Weld. John and Thady Gosden are having a good week and their Stradivarius is going for his sixth course win here under just a 3lb penalty. Conditions look ideal and with Frankie Dettori in the saddle will be very popular with the Yorkshire punters. He’s sure to run his usual solid race and with first time out figures of 5111131 has shown he runs well fresh although at eight one would expect it to be harder to get him fit. We know for sure that Search For A Song will be fit as she’s already been seen this Spring when running her owners Kyprios to 2 3/4L at Navan in a listed contest. I’ld love, like most racing fans, to see Stradivarius win again but at the prices I’ll happy to back Dermot Weld’s mare to small stakes.

SEARCH FOR A SONG 1 point win @ 5/1 Bet365

York 4.10

We finish off the ITV coverage with a eight runner 1m 4F class 3 handicap for three year olds where it appears that Charlie Appleby holds the key. Godolphin’s main trainer saddles two interesting runners in Wild Crusade, presumably the pick of James Doyle who’s making his turf debut having won twice at this trip at Kempton on the all weather and the Frankie Dettori ridden New Comedy who scraped home by a neck under Doyle in a Haydock novices stakes over this trip and makes his handicap debut here today. Charlie and Mark Johnstone saddle Pons Aelius who’s chasing a handicap hat trick following two victories at Wolverhampton although is now 8lb higher here and looks best of the rest. This revolves around the Godolphin duo with preference for Wild Crusade and he’s the bet.

WILD CRUSADE 3 points win @ 2/1 Paddy Power

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.