** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

World Cup > Qualifying Matches > ( 3 September 2005)

Re: World Cup > Qualifying Matches > ( 3 September 2005) Decided not to bet on England. I don't like the very strange decision to change to a 4-5-1 formation, which I think is a dreadful decision and one that could signal the end of Sven's reign. Why on earth use this untried tactic in a qualifier?:\ I fully expect England to still win this game, but I cannot be as supremely confident as I would be if England were playing 4-4-2.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: World Cup > Qualifying Matches > ( 3 September 2005) I would not think about backing england at the sort of prices availible. the england players lack motivation under sven in my opinion and with him messing around with the formation they have the perfect excuse not to perform. wales are not as bad as their position suggests and by this i mean other second from bottom teams like armenia,cyprus and liechtenstein. if england dont start well this could turn into a very akward game for them.

Re: World Cup > Qualifying Matches > ( 3 September 2005) I would'nt think England will try anything too radical tactically 2moro.They should beat Wales easily. Italy looked impressive in their warm up friendly against Ireland and should be too strong for the Scots. Anyone tempted by Bosnia-H at home to Belgium?

Re: World Cup > Qualifying Matches > ( 3 September 2005) Serbia & Montenegro vs Lithuania @ 1.35 Wales vs England @ 1.45 Totall : 1.96 A few words about the games : -It`s decisive game for Serbia & Mont. ( oh when will finally Serbia be an indepeddent state ... , This Serbia & Montenegro really irritates me ...:@ ) Only victory in this match is keepin` the chance for us qualifyaing to World Cup. After two great tournamets that our n.sqad have missed , missing this one would be a real catastrophy . Let`s face it , S & M is clearly better team here , and plus Lithuanians are coming to Belgrade with 5 absentis . S& M have no susspension or injuries problem. S & M haven`t conceeded a single goal yet in these qualification games . So with a little bit better realisation in front of guests goal , winning tomorrow shouldn`t be that hard task . I expect 1:0 , 2:0 S& M victory . -England should be a bit too strong for lousy Wales , especially when we all know that England have yet to fight for first place in the group meaning direct qualification to WC . I really can`t see Welsh team stopping them in achieving this goal . So concernig this opinion of mine i`m going with high stakes on this double . 10 / 10 ! Gl to everoyne , we`ll need it as those Qualification games know to be very treacheorus .

Re: World Cup > Qualifying Matches > ( 3 September 2005) OK so I know this is buying money but look at it as free beer for saturday night. NETHERLANDS should stroll through against Armenia. Fifa rankings for August 2005 Netherlands 3 Hong Kong 119 Barbados 120= Armenia 120= St Kitts 122 Cape Verde Islands 123 Hands up if you can point to more than one of these on the map.

Re: World Cup > Qualifying Matches > ( 3 September 2005) considering england are changing to different tactics and the fact Terry,Campbell, King are all out of the clash and the backline will be makeshift, i think Hartson has a very good chance of scoring with his aerial threat he's available @ 4/1 anytime on most sites and 5.2 on betfair he's the only one i can see scoring for Wales, Earnshaw does play well internationally but he's lacking match fitness Giggs?Davies? those are the only other two who look likely if you can say that this is assuming England concede of course i'm thinking in dabbling on the Danes to win in Turkey as well readily available @ 3.25 Turkey haven't really been their usual selves recently, although arguably they did beat Kazakhstan 6-0 away and also Albania 3-0 i believe however Turkey seem to drop off their performances against the bigger sides Denmark are very solid, the likes of Gravesen, Rommedahl (who seems to have found his feet in the prem.), Dahl Tommason are all top players the result against England will have boosted confidence the win may be too much to ask but X2 should be safe any thoughts on it from turkish/danish experts?

Re: World Cup > Qualifying Matches > ( 3 September 2005) 1; Well, I will be having a very big bet on England, probably my biggest ever bet. 2: Decided not to bet on England. M Ross, I know I am not an experienced man, but I am confused by your conflicting posts! However, I think I know what you mean!! Rooney alone up front is a mistake. Marking giggsy with an untried international defender is a mistake. The England defence are well capable of conceding a goal in the absence of Campbell and Terry. Rio is a good defender, but not that clever v Denmark. The only point in M Erikson's favour is the rule that when a good team fcuk up, the next team to play them are in trouble. And of course the fact that Ulrika is now a fading memory. Like Marek believe that Danes can get something in Turkey. but my stomach feels that this is a 1-1 draw. Italy to beat Scotland....the Scots have improved but they are playing in the conference and the Italians are in the premiership. It will not be a massacre but maybe 1 or 2 nil. Fletcher to get at least a yellow card. The best value I think is Czech Republic away (11/8 with Corals). They are very dominant recently and goals do not appear to be a problem. a lot of draws are probable: ch v israel nire v azerbijan estonia v latvia good luck all, especially to my eastern bloc comrades

Re: World Cup > Qualifying Matches > ( 3 September 2005) I've backed Wales, more with my heart than my head obviously! Just think we might get something here, with the English coming off the back of an abysmal result and the bizarre choice of formation. Plus, Giggs will tear Luke Young apart :) Wales likely to play a very physical game, and the talk today was that they'd try and provoke Rooney into doing something stupid. Bookings buy may be well advised as well!

Re: World Cup > Qualifying Matches > ( 3 September 2005) Well, I'm pleased to see a few people having some belief in the mighty Welsh Dragon (even if it's cos confidence in England is low). Sadly, I think the dragon is a little short of coal at the moment. Most of you will have good knowledge and strong opinions re the english team, but here's my thoughts re the Welsh side. The first negative that jumps out at me is the keepers spot... David James would certainly be OUR first choice (yes it is THAT bad)!!! Jones was reasonable at his best but is now ready to hang up his boots. Our other choices are Coyne and Price. Coyne is inexperienced (with good reason) and Lewis is errr.... inexperienced!!! Both are reasonable Championship keepers, but nothing more at this point in time. The second thing that jumps out at me is the central midfield role. People have spoken of the 'injury crisis' England have. Yeah, that's nice for you! Our BEST centre midfield is... Carl Robinson and Carl Fletcher! How much of an injury crisis will England need to field an equally weak midfield? Our FULL list of strikers is.... Hartson and Earnshaw. No Bellamy and no-one else. Both have done well in the games that they have played for Wales, but standards will be high in this game. Creatively, on paper Wales could have a decent attack including both strikers, Giggs and Davies. However, as pointed out earlier, Earny has not had any kind of run at WBA under Robson. Whilst at The City, his fitness may not have been Premiership standard (which Robson has criticised him for in the past), but he was at least playing regular football. Noticably whilst at the City and his early Wales days, it is obvious that a good defender can easily mark him out of the game (as QPR did with ease in the play-off final). It's when defenders stand off him that he can do damage. Hartson is the target man but not the goal poacher. Giggs (who I hate with a burning passion) is likely to pull his finger out simply because it is a big game. His best performances have come against big teams but he tends to usually play like he does with United - however, with Wales, the players around him tend not to know what is expected of them and the link-up play is often missing. This is not helped by Giggs consistent broken fingernails stopping him playing in friendlies (i think he's played 5 out of a potential 34 friendlies since his first Welsh cap) - this not allowing him to gel with other players. Mark Hughes played a number of times with Hartson leading the attack and Giggs playing off him - I'm a little sceptical to the real success of this formation compared to other options, but it is not really known what formation Toshack will run with. Our defence is mainly a mixture of average Premiership players and Championship players - nothing that a certain Mr Rooney cannot breeze past with ease (I'm fearing his form at the moment {? possibilty of first goalscorer?}). Overall, I feel that regardless of quality in most positions, the Welsh team will be up for this game like English players can never know. Sadly, I don't feel that this will be enough. Without the passion and leadership of Savage in midfield, Toshack has thrown away a chance of a memorable game (in Welsh eyes) by not healing the rift - we don't have a rich vein of depth in any area of our squad. Furthermore, reports from the Welsh camp suggest that we are already focussing upon the next Euro 2008. I was in Denmark and watched the game there - a lot has been said about the game, much negative. However, people quickly forget that, barring injuries, the first half was just about the team that was likely to start against Wales (before talk of 4-5-1) and England weren't really that bad for a friendly (start of season and unimportant game). It was the second half and David James that people remember as the whole game. All this serves to do is fire up the England players and give them a kick up the jacksy - not a bad thing (for them!). The press are jumping on the we-hate-Sven bandwagon as they do at every oppportunity - Sven is not the most attack minded manager but he has a very good track record with England in the qualifiers. Overall, I think England should win this comfortably statistically but not by too many goals - they will keep some energy for the Irish. An early goal for England would not surprise me and a good defensive display. If Wales score, it should only be the once at most. My bets; England to win - 8/10 points England/England - half/full time - 5/10 points Rooney to score at any time - 2/10 points any thoughts from other Welshmen?

Re: World Cup > Qualifying Matches > ( 3 September 2005) I am thinking of backing Poland(AH -1): - first game they won in Austria 3:1 - they play good at home - they have to win to stay first, England (2 points behind) also has to play one game more than Poland - the Polish team has more quality I think - probablly no important missings in both squads Any opinions? :dude

Re: World Cup > Qualifying Matches > ( 3 September 2005)

Denmark are very solid, the likes of Gravesen, Rommedahl (who seems to have found his feet in the prem.), Dahl Tommason are all top players the result against England will have boosted confidence the win may be too much to ask but X2 should be safe any thoughts on it from turkish/danish experts?
I watched Turkey against Bulgaria in a friendly a few weeks ago. The Turks were excited about having a new coach - Fatih Terim, he is a real legend and they expected him to create a great team overnight. And they were wrong. Turkey showed that they have a decent midfield but they didn't impress me in attack. Their defence was poor and they had huge problems when Bulgarian players attempted attacks and crosses from both left and right. Poor marking of opponent's forwards in the penalty area. And I know that the Danes are pretty good at fast counters and crosses in the penalty area. The guests should be favourites here and I can also see more than 2 goals in this match.

I am thinking of backing Poland(AH -1): - first game they won in Austria 3:1 - they play good at home - they have to win to stay first, England (2 points behind) also has to play one game more than Poland - the Polish team has more quality I think - probablly no important missings in both squads Any opinions? :dude
Personally I would not advice You this...It is very important game for us, and I predict that we will have problems as always when there is a BIG game...Few players changed clubs lately and our best player ( Krzynówek ) is out...Kosowski is still a man who can play well, but it is not the same...I believe that 1-0 or 2-1 are the most possible results, but backing Poland ( AH -1 ) is very risky in my opinion... BTW GL:hope

Re: World Cup > Qualifying Matches > ( 3 September 2005) Probable team news for wales; keeper - unimportant - none are special at int. level defence - Duffy and Ricketts at full back, Gabbidon-Page-Partridge centre backs. midfield - Fletcher and Robinson centre, Giggs and Davies on wings. Forward - Hartson Again, nothing confirmed as yet, but if this is the team then IMO it pushes forward a small England victory. I really cannot see Wales scoring with a defensive line-up unless it is gifted (but David James is not playing!). Duffy is ex-swansea - moved to Portsmouth and sent on loan to Coventry. Ricketts currently plays for Swansea. Gabbidon is easily our best defender and has fitted in well at the Hammers as they have a good start to the season. Page is past his best and I've seen many errors between him and Gabbidon whilst at the City and with Wales - has never been the best of partnerships. They are joined by Partridge of Bristol City (formerly Motherwell). A decent defender but ? his abilty at this level. Thus the defence includes x1 from Premier, x2 from Championship and x2 from division 1! Those of you crying about Young being in the England side - if you don't want him, WE DO!!!

Personally I would not advice You this...It is very important game for us, and I predict that we will have problems as always when there is a BIG game...Few players changed clubs lately and our best player ( Krzynówek ) is out...Kosowski is still a man who can play well, but it is not the same...I believe that 1-0 or 2-1 are the most possible results, but backing Poland ( AH -1 ) is very risky in my opinion... BTW GL:hope
Thnx a lot mate, but still I think it would be a home win and with a one goal win I get my money back ;) , I will risk it :hope Poland -1 (ah) 6/10@2,06 BF

Re: World Cup > Qualifying Matches > ( 3 September 2005) s0d it, i'm gonna repeat myself. Poland are no way 1.66 shot. I'd like to be condfident about the final result but I'm not. we havent lost in 7 games, but: -some Polish players have been travelling around Europe signing contracts at new clubs (ie.Frankowski - Elche,Spain ; Kosowski - Southampton) team's gathering in Germany was pretty messy because of that. -the loss of left winger Krzynowek is massive. he can pull the game forward, shoot from the distance, for me he was the main contributor in victory against Wales.Kosowski will take his place but his form is enigmatic to me. -no Dudek in goal- no drama. Boruc from Celtic is doing fine. -but the most important thing: since Janas took over Polish A squad we played 3 times at National Stadium in Silesia region. 0:0 vs Hungary Euro 04 Qual. 0:2 vs Sweden Euro 04 Qual. 1:2 vs England WC 06 Qaul. players themselves were saying playing there does not float their boat, no surprise-big open stadium with no coherent support from the fans. Poland play much better when counterattacking. Positional attack has never been our strong bit. we might as well win but not,again, not @1.66 (not even mentioning Asians) you have been warned.

Marek76 you have been warned.
bigokay.gif I agree and thanx for warning. But as I have watched the austrian team, they are not superb team, have also their problems and are not a mighty force in football wink2.gif . After the game we will know more crossfingers.gif , maybe I will banana.gif or banghead.gif Let`s see roll.gif

Re: World Cup > Qualifying Matches > ( 3 September 2005) Turkey - Denmark X Turkey misses Rustu the keeper, emre (was the man of the match in denmark), defence really had huge problems in bulgarian friendly match. beckham-famous Alpay was called back to national team around 3 years later the keeper will be volkan, rustu's substitute in fenerbahce also. he is much better than rustu just inexperienced one, basturk returns from long term injury but not fully fit, lots of problems in squad but the crucial factor is Fatih Terim he knows how to motivate a national team nicknamed as imparator(=emperor) although he is not a magician :) The model for Turkey was Denmark around 90s Piontek was the manager and Terim was his assistant, Terim generally prepares his teams well especially for big matches like this one and declared 7 points will be enough in remaining denmark ukraine and albania matches for 2nd position in the group. I predict the battle for 3 points will result in a draw 1-1 or 2-2 although Denmark may be clear favourites(betting companies think opposite) Turkey will get a point and get ready for wednesday's ukraine battle I think Ukraine is much easier to beat than Denmark...

Re: World Cup > Qualifying Matches > ( 3 September 2005) Not much time left to kick-off but I just found out that Azerbaijan is 2.15 not to score against Northern Ireland (available at Fonbet). Looks quite big for a team that managed to score only once in 7 qualifiers (at home against Wales). Last year it finished Azerbaijan - Northern Ireland 0:0. These odds merit a small stake IMHO.

not very much info or previews today....quite dissapointing
before you start criticizing, why don't you contribute first :spank contrary to your previous posts - try writting more than one line and not using the word banker.

Re: World Cup > Qualifying Matches > ( 3 September 2005) well Marek i probably dont have as much time on my hands as you have.I like to check out the forum but i dont have time to write previews etc And if i write the word Banker,thats because i like that word and u may think it is appropriate to use it.I think that was quite childish of you to comment on a word that some likes to use regularily.

Re: World Cup > Qualifying Matches > ( 3 September 2005) BOSNIA v BELGIUM - The last 10 out of 12 home competitive games that BOSNIA have played at home have been UNDER 2.5 goals. {one of them was a 5-0 hammering of the mighty Lichtenstein!} Tonights game is being played at the ZENICA Stadium where they have not lost in 8 games {inc friendlies}. 5-3-0 They will miss Bayern's SALIHAMIDZIC {mid} for the game. BELGIUM have had 6 out of their last 9 competitve away games UNDER 2,5 goals.{2-1 San Marino was one} Their last game in this region was a 0-0 draw against the SERBS. Tonight they miss E. MPENZA[striker} , P.CLEMENT{mid} as well as their expected goalkeeper walking out citing 'bad relationship' with the manager as the reason. BELGIUM 4TH in table - 2-2-2 for 7, a 7 , pts 8 BOSNIA 5TH in table - 1-4-1 for 7 , a 8 , pts 7 LARGE BET ON 'UNDER 2.5 GOALS - 1.93 on Betfair MEDIUM BET ON DRAW 3.3 W.Hills

Any thoughts on Sweden v Bulgaria...? Is Ljungberg fit?
Swedes say Ljungberg is fit and will play. Berbatov is suspended for Bulgaria and I expect a defensive formation for the guests with a single striker (probably Georgi Ivanov - tall and useful in the air, but so are the Swedish defenders). Sweden should win it 2:0 but no value in the odds for me. Bulgaria has not won against Sweden for more than 30 years and has failed to score in the last 5 matches or so. Guests with nothing to play for but that may make them more dangerous. Sweden in fierce battle with Croatia. If I had to bet, I would bet that there will be a penalty for Sweden.

Swedes say Ljungberg is fit and will play. Berbatov is suspended for Bulgaria and I expect a defensive formation for the guests with a single striker (probably Georgi Ivanov - tall and useful in the air, but so are the Swedish defenders). Sweden should win it 2:0 but no value in the odds for me. Bulgaria has not won against Sweden for more than 30 years and has failed to soccer in the last 5 matches or so. Guests with nothing to play for but that may make them more dangerous. Sweden in fierce battle with Croatia. If I had to bet, I would bet that there will be a penalty for Sweden.
Thanks cluelessG My main concern was actually if Ljungberg was fit and Berbatov was gonna play. Btw,do you know a site which is good for this info? Thanks again

Re: World Cup > Qualifying Matches > ( 3 September 2005) Hello! I don’t have much time, i will just write some sentence about match BOSNIA – BELGIUM. The game will be play at the stadium in Zenica, and that stadium is really big advantage for home team. Bosnia are never lost there. For today, both team have some problems. Bosnia will play without Salihamidzic and Beslija, but Barbarez will be play in atack (last couple of game, he played in defence). Belgium will be without Emile Mpenza, and goalkeaper Phillipe Clemont. I’m sure that Belgium can’t win this game. My prediction: BOSNIA – not to lose 10/10 BOSNIA – win 5 /10 My other pick for today: Serbia to win, Slovenia not to lose, Hungary to win. Good luck!

Re: World Cup > Qualifying Matches > ( 3 September 2005) For the England v Wales game there is a massive opportunity with Joe Jennings, 0500 521 421, 01279 414684. Apperently they also have a chain of shops down South. The are going 6/4 on England to win by 2 goals or more. Betfair is currently 2.02 on Asian Handicap England -1.5 which is the same bet. You may like to let it ride as a value bet or arb it on Betfair. Personally I have arbed it so that I get a nice win if England win by 2 or more goals or my money back if they don't. This effectively gives me a free bet on England to win by 2 or more. James

Re: World Cup > Qualifying Matches > ( 3 September 2005) Just put a big bet on Ukraine to beat Georgia. They have won Seven, and drawn one out of there last eight games. Top their group and if they win tonight they will qualify for Germany. With the likes of Shevchenko up front I can see them beating Georgia - who don't have home advantage as the game is being played behind closed doors due to rascist chanting at their last game. And the manager was sacked as well - the U21 manager is in charge at the moment Ukraine have only conceded 3 goals in Qualifiers and scored 15 - and beat Georgia 2-0 (at home) when they last met. Georgia have scored 10 and conceded 16 on the other hand Odds of 1.6 currently on Betfair. Good luck! Here's the Table:

TeamPldWDLFAGDGFAGAAPpGPts
1Ukraine9720153121.660.332.5523
2Turkey9441197122.110.771.7716
3Greece943212751.330.771.6615
4Denmark833213851.621.001.5012
5Albania9306716-90.771.771.009
6Georgia71241016-61.422.280.715
7Kazakhstan7007221-190.283.000.000
Comments welcome....