Are the OR and RPRs an accurate representation of how good a horse is?

I am currently devising a new system whereby I consider different factors of giving a horse my own rating.

At the minute I have it set up to include the OR and RPR, but I'm wondering if these are accurate?  Don't some trainers and jockeys send their horses out knowing full well they wont win the race, just to manipulate the OR and RPR?

17 hours ago, alexcaruso808 said:

I am currently devising a new system whereby I consider different factors of giving a horse my own rating.

At the minute I have it set up to include the OR and RPR, but I'm wondering if these are accurate?  Don't some trainers and jockeys send their horses out knowing full well they wont win the race, just to manipulate the OR and RPR?

Of course, that's the nature of the game. Gradually get the horse fully fit and ready, whilst all the time trying to get the handicap mark down. That makes the 'Official Rating' redundant at times, although I'm sure it counts for much more in the valuable handicaps and Group races.

As for RPR ratings, the racing post ratings are a 'help' but are only someones opinion.  For FACTS, check out the NAPS competition in the R.Post, RPR is in the bottom 7 of 52 tipsters. As for ALL races this year, they are currently showing a 26% strike rate, despite tipping 46% favourites. Treat with caution Alex.

28 minutes ago, Bang on said:

Of course, that's the nature of the game. Gradually get the horse fully fit and ready, whilst all the time trying to get the handicap mark down. That makes the 'Official Rating' redundant at times, although I'm sure it counts for much more in the valuable handicaps and Group races.

As for RPR ratings, the racing post ratings are a 'help' but are only someones opinion.  For FACTS, check out the NAPS competition in the R.Post, RPR is in the bottom 7 of 52 tipsters. As for ALL races this year, they are currently showing a 26% strike rate, despite tipping 46% favourites. Treat with caution Alex.

Now that is interesting.  Thanks for the info.

17 minutes ago, MCLARKE said:

It all depends how you use your ratings.

For example if a horse has won over the CD then that is a positive factor in terms of how likely it is to win.

However these horses are overbet so it is a negative factor in terms of value.

What I did for today was make two sets of calculations.  One has included RPR and OR (I add these together and get an average) and the other is calculated without these.   I have noted the horses so I will be interesting to see the results.

Well, here are some preliminary results:

Version A - OR and RPR factored into the system

Version B - OR and  RPR not factored into system.  

The horses in bold are the ones that I had shortlisted and I have noted what version of the system gave me them to shortlist.

2.25 Beverly

1st - Ugo Gregory 

2nd - Arranmore - Version B

3rd - La Rav - Version A & B

4th - Danielsflyer 

5th - Urban War - Version A & B

6th - Give It Some Teddy

7th - King's Pavillion 

8th -  Blu Boy - Version A & B

9th - Little Jo

10th - Quiet Assassin 

11th - Blowing Wind

I have some other races that I'm watching too - no bets, just testing the system.  

5 minutes ago, gbettle said:

A chap - on another forum, I know ... shudder! - took OR + RPR - CR( which is the vdw consistency rating)

Calls the system, ORC 

Never heard of VDW until, interesting....  It looks like a rabbit hole!

I have altered my system slightly and have some horses which I will watch for tomorrow.  Fingers crossed....