Champions League Predictions > Apr 13th & 14th

Chelsea vs Porto

There are two Champions League Quarter-Final matches coming our way on Tuesday night. The first I am previewing is the clash between Premier League club Chelsea and Portuguese Primeira Liga side Porto in an 8pm BST kick-off from the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan in Seville. The home side boast a 2-0 lead from the first leg so it is now their game to lose but nothing is certain in this competition until that final whistle blows.

Chelsea have put one foot in the Champions League Semi-Final after their first leg win thanks to goals from Mason Mount and Ben Chilwell but this tie is far from over. Head coach Thomas Tuchel has seen his team bounce back from that disappointing 5-2 home defeat to West Brom with the first leg victory and then a 4-1 away win against Crystal Palace on the weekend. It's just 1 defeat in 17 games under the German for the Blues. Chelsea have progressed on 8 of the previous 10 times that they have led in the first leg of a Champions League knockout game. One fact that has gone under the radar is that Chelsea remain unbeaten in 9 matches in this competition this season including keeping 9 clean sheets.

Porto have it all to do here in this second leg. The good news is that despite being the "away team" they will be playing at the same venue as last week due to covid-19 restrictions. Head coach Sergio Conceicao saw his team beat Tondela 2-0 away in the league on the weekend. An identical result here would take their tie into extra-time. The trouble is that their recent record against English sides isn't great having failed to win any of the past 7 such meetings by an aggregate score-line of 16-2. Their record as the away team in Champions League knockout matches isn't very impressive either having won just 1 of their last 20 matches as the away side.

It's really hard to see Porto turning this tie around. Chelsea look dogged, organised, and focused under Tuchel. We can put the West Brom result down to a freak anomaly. I'm fully expecting another resolute display by the English side and not only are they huge favourites to progress as winners from this tie but I'd back them to win this game on the night as well.

Chelsea to Win @ 1.91 with SBK

Total Goals Scored Under 2.5 @ 1.94 with Matchbook

PSG vs Bayern Munich

The second Champions League Quarter-Final game I'm previewing is this Tuesday night clash between French Ligue 1 reigning champions PSG and current Champions League champions Bayern Munich in an 8pm BST kick-off at the Parc des Princes in Paris. This game is finely poised at 3-2 to the home team after a riveting first leg so there's still everything to play for in this one.

PSG showed their full attacking prowess in the first leg with two goals from Kylian Mbappe and another from Marquinhos that gave them a one-goal advantage and three away goals in this epic tie. Head coach Mauricio Pochettino is very familiar with the intense drama of the knockout phases of this competition. The Argentine is now unbeaten in his last four knockout ties in this competition. PSG's fans will be pleased to hear that their team have won all four of the games they have played against Bayern Munich on their own patch in the Champions League. Tread with caution though. PSG faced a whopping 31 shots in the first leg. Mbappe is a shout for anytime scorer having bagged 8 goals in 8 appearances for the club in the Champions League this season.

Bayern Munich need to cause a "mini-upset" if they are to progress to the Semi-Finals according to their head coach Hans-Dieter Flick. The loss to PSG last week was the first time the club have tasted defeat in this competition under Flick. The Germans will need to defeat history here by progressing to the next round after losing the first leg for the first time since 2014/15. They have lost each of the last four ties where they have suffered defeat in the first leg. Only 3 of the last 50 teams to lose a first leg at home in the Champions League have gone on to qualify for the next round.

You're going to want to try and catch this game if you can. The first leg was, as we expected, a frenetic affair and I'm not anticipating anything different here. Bayern Munich will adopt a similar approach knowing that if they can get another 30 odd shots off on the PSG goal again then they stand every chance of pulling this tie back. PSG don't have the defensive capabilities to sit back and defend for 90 minutes so attack will be the best form of defence for them. I think PSG could well seal a passage through to the Semi-Finals but it's going to be close.

Draw @ 4.35 with Unibet

Total Goals Scored Over 3.5 @ 1.86 with RedZone

27 minutes ago, StevieDay1983 said:

You're going to want to try and catch this game if you can. The first leg was, as we expected, a frenetic affair and I'm not anticipating anything different here. Bayern Munich will adopt a similar approach knowing that if they can get another 30 odd shots off on the PSG goal again then they stand every chance of pulling this tie back. PSG don't have the defensive capabilities to sit back and defend for 90 minutes so attack will be the best form of defence for them. I think PSG could well seal a passage through to the Semi-Finals but it's going to be close.

This is another game (as with Spurs v Man U on Sunday) where I approached it hoping I could make a case for betting high on cards. So finely poised and so much at stake, it would be one to watch from behind the sofa if betting low (not that that usually stops me). The spreads are 55-58 so effectively saying 5 or 6 cards the most likely outcome with a leaning towards the higher number. Given the prospects of at least one player seeing red, I'm happy to take 20 points on >5.5 cards at 2.029 with Uni.

Only a shade of odds against but I'm happy that there's enough of an edge to take the bet. Ref Daniele Orsato not shy of showing cards where necessary, especially in the knock out stages.

Liverpool vs Real Madrid

Liverpool

Doubtful: Caoimhin Kelleher (2/0 g), Curtis Jones (20/1 m), Divock Origi (9/0 f)

Out (injuries/other): Joel Matip (9/1 d), Joe Gomez (7/0 d), Virgil van Dijk (5/1 d), Jordan Henderson (21/1 m, captain)

Suspended:

Real Madrid

Doubtful:

Out (injuries/other): Raphael Varane (27/2 d, Covid-19), Sergio Ramos (15/2 d), Dani Carvajal (11/0 d), Lucas Vázquez (24/2 m), Eden Hazard (9/2 f)

Suspended:

Daily updated injuries and suspensions information from more then 100 football leagues and competitions worldwide at: www.injuriesandsuspensions.com

Borussia Dortmund vs Manchester City

The second night of Champions League Quarter-Final action is coming up on Wednesday night with both games kicking off at 8pm BST. The first preview I'm doing covers the tightly-poised clash between Bundesliga club Borussia Dortmund and Premier League champions elect Manchester City at the Signal Iduna Park. The away side hold a narrow 2-1 lead from the first leg so anything could happen.

Borussia Dortmund are probably wishing they had all the force of the Yellow Wall of the Sudtribune behind them heading into this game. The Black and Yellows are one goal down but have home advantage for this second leg. Not quite the same benefit without the fans there. Edin Terzic will have to defy history if his team is to win this. On the previous 7 occasion when Dortmund have lost the first leg in a Champions League knockout phase they have been eliminated 6 times. However, it is true that the team that has won the first leg in a knockout game in this competition has been eliminated more often than they have progressed. Dortmund don't have a great recent home record against English sides having lost their previous two encounters on home turf against such opposition. Both defeats came against Tottenham. One player City will want to keep an eye on is Erling Haaland. The Norwegian striker has scored in 12 of his last 15 appearances in this competition.

Manchester City might hold the narrow advantage for this second leg but Pep Guardiola has stated that he will be deemed a failure if his side don't win the Champions League. The Citizens are one of the favourites for the competition with the likes of Barcelona and Bayern Munich already eliminated. In European competition, City have managed to progress in 13 of their 15 knockout stage games where they have held a lead from the first leg. Away defensive performances have been a rock for City this season with the club keeping four clean sheets in their previous 4 away Champions League games. Guardiola himself also has a decent record against Dortmund having gone unbeaten against them in his last 7 meetings.

These two sides have played each other only once at this venue before and it was Borussia Dortmund who triumphed as 1-0 winners over Manchester City. An identical scoreline here would see the German side progress. I think you have to back City to get the job done here. Dortmund possess that insane talent in Haaland but overall City boast the stronger squad and hold the lead. I expect them to finish the job here.

Manchester City to Win & BTTS @ 3.05 with Sporting Index

Anytime Scorer: Erling Haaland @ 2.55 with Unibet

Liverpool vs Real Madrid

The second game I'm previewing from the Wednesday night batch of Champions League Quarter-Final second leg matches is the 8pm BST kick-off between reigning Premier League champions Liverpool and current La Liga champions Real Madrid that's set to take place at Anfield. The away side hold a 3-1 advantage from this first leg but can the home team make use of their own turf for this game?

Liverpool have generally had a season to forget with their Premier League title defence in tatters, FA Cup and EFL Cup hopes dead, and now they are two goals down in the Champions League. Is there still a way for them to turn this tie around though? I'm going to be honest, I was surprised that Real Madrid turned them over so easily in the first leg. The Reds have only ever progressed twice from 13 matches where they have been 2 goals or more down in a European competition knockout round. 5 of their last 11 home losses in the Champions League have also come against Spanish opposition. It does not bode well for Jurgen Klopp and his men. On the plus side, Mohamed Salah has scored in all of his last 4 appearances in the Champions League so can he be the one to ignite a comeback?

Real Madrid stand on the brink of a place of yet another Champions League Semi-Final under head coach Zinedine Zidane. How does a distinctly average manager pull it off? Los Blancos have an immaculate record in this competition when they have led the first leg by 2 goals or more having progressed on 15 out of the 16 occasions. One thing Real Madrid know what to do is score goals in the Champions League knockout phase. They have now scored in the previous 23 knockout games in this competition that they have played in. Real will still be without Sergio Ramos at the back but they showed in the first leg that they can do the business without the experienced centre back.

Head-to-head meetings does not add any more optimism for Liverpool fans. Their team have lost each of the last 4 meetings with Real Madrid. This will be the third time Real Madrid have visited Anfield having lost 1 and won 1 on their previous trips. It's tough to see this Liverpool side coming back and causing a turnaround. If it was a Liverpool of previous seasons with a packed Anfield then I'd be more keen to back them. Not here though.

Real Madrid Draw No Bet @ 2.76 with SBK

BTTS @ 1.57 with RedZone