Racing Chat - Thursday March 18th

Day 3 and the ground appears to be drying with today’s action being run on the ew course.

A race to sit back and enjoy with no financial interest (unless you’re already on at fancy prices obviously). Envoi Allen (pictured below) is unbeaten in 11 starts - that’s a point to point, 4 bumpers (including Cheltenham Champion Bumper), 4 novice hurdles (including last years Ballymore) and 3 novice chases. He’s actually only beaten 11 horses over fences in those 3 small field races but to my eyes he just oozes class and I’ll be very surprised were he not to beat these in good style. Fusil Raffles maybe the best of the rest.

A competitive renewal of the Pertemps Network Final with likely favourite Imperial Alcazar holding a definite chance to give local handler Fergal O’Brien his first ever Festival winner. He looks sure to run a big race but I like the horse that ran him to 5L at Warwick in the qualifier and is now 8lb better off - Tom George’s Come On Teddy. He had previously won over the course and distance beating the useful yardstick On The Blind Side and he looks poised to run a big race.

COME ON TEDDY 1 point EW @ 10/1 1/5th 123456

A well contested and competitive Ryanair Chase where officially there is only 11lb between the whole field. A case can be made for many including last years one - two, Min and Saint Calvados. Fakir D’oudairies has been on my radar for a while for this race as I feel this intermediate trip is just ideal for Joseph O’Brien’s charge. The only time he’s actually run at 2m 4f he blitzed the useful Ronald Pump by 22L at Fairyhouse in a grade 1. He was certainly not disgraced when running Chacun Pour Soi to 8L last time and represents a bit of value here.

FAKIR D’OUDAIRIES 1 point EW @  Bet365 8/1 1/5th 1234

The Stayers Hurdle and Paisley Park brings the best overall form to the race although I still can’t get out of my mind his flop in this race last year at odds of 4/6. He may well win but I’m happy to take him on and find some each way value. I’ll take him on with Flooring Porter, who may prefer softer ground although he has abundant stamina and will see this trip out well. He appears to have improved this season winning a handicap hurdle at Navan in December and the grade 1 Leopardstown Christmas Hurdle, keeping on strongly to beat The Storyteller and Sire Du Berlais who re-oppose today. Jonathan Moore is his regular pilot and keeps the ride here today.

FLOORING PORTER 1 point EW @ 11/1 Paddy Power 1/5th 12345

A typically tricky renewal with many having claims. Mister Whitaker is an interesting runner who’s Cheltenham Festival form figures are 1P3 with the pulled up coming over 3 miles which he just doesn’t stay. He was 3rd in this race last year and can race off of a mark 2lb lower so is no doubt well handicapped. He looks value at a big price with the firms paying the all important extra places. Farclas is one of the market leaders who could also run well as may last years runner up Happy Diva.

MISTER WHITAKER 1 point EW @ 14/1 Paddy Power 1/5th 123456

Willie Mullins has farmed this race since its inception, winning all 5 renewals. He runs three here and the best of them may well be Hook Up. She ran well behind Tuesday’s impressive winner Appreciate It when 4th at The Dublin Racing Festival and in a tricky enough race looks each way value, once again with firms pays those extra places.

HOOK UP 1 point EW @ 15/2 Paddy Power 1/5th 1234

Novice Mount Ida looks worth an each way bet in quite an uninspiring Kim Muir which obviously won’t be run with amateurs this season following their COVID ban. She ran Mares Chase fancy Coolreevy to 12L at Thurles last time out and could be well handicapped on her first handicap start. Kilfilum Cross has finished runner up in this the last two years off of 139 and 138 and can race off of 135 here. He’s not shown much this season but maybe he’s been trained with this race in mind. He’s worth a small ew saver also.

MOUNT IDA 1 point EW 8/1 Bet365 1/4 12345
KILFILUM CROSS 1/2 point EW 12/1 Bet365 1/4 12345

Envoi.jpg

Weren’t going to bother with the Ryanair Chase. There’s too many I fancy but would you say Put The Kettle On has franked the form today with Fakir ? She only beat Fakir by 1 and half lengths in the arkle last year and goes on to win the QMCC today. I think Fakir does his best racing at Cheltenham too. Might be tempted with him .

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.