** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

FA Cup Predictions > Nov 6th - 9th

Having had one of my best ever days punting on 4th qualifying round day hopefully I can repeat the dose now we reach the 1st Round. I like 7 bets throughout the weekend where plenty of games will be covered via the BBC or BT Sport.

Harrogate V Skelmersdale

The 1st match of the weekend sees the 1st bet in a game live on BT Sport. Skelmersdale were one of the sides I put up in the last round and they duly beat Stafford 4-1. Stafford play in Step 3 and have only picked up 1 point in the league so playing a Harrogate side 3 levels higher and having a decent start in their first season in the Football League. Skelmersdale play at Step 5 of Non-League football and whenever a team from that level reach the 1st Round they always get outclassed. Granted they might have had this game on their minds, but they have lost their 2 league games since the Stafford victory 3-1 and 4-0. As Harrogate have just come from Non-League I can't see them under estimating their opponents and I fully expect them to take it seriously and win the game comfortably. The -2 handicap is now odds on, but I am going to go for the -3 which is 11/4 with Betfair.

Boreham Wood v Southend

It might seem odd putting up a team who are evens to beat a team from a higher level, but when Southend are bottom of League having picked up just 2 points it is easy to see why Boreham Wood are the price they are. They have scored just 5 goals in the league, but one of those was an own goal and another a penalty. I think Boreham Wood are better than their league position suggests and they have conceded just three times in their 5 league games so far. You would think they could keep Southend quiet and that Boreham Wood certainly have the forwards capable of causing Southend no end of problems.

Cheltenham v South Shields

South Shields were another team I put up in the previous round when they caused an upset in beating Halifax. Granted Cheltenham are having a good season in League 2, but I think South Shields could pull off another upset. They have a very good side for their level and are essentially a Step 2 side at Step 3 level. If they play at the top of their game I make their chances of causing an upset better than an 8/1 chance so am happy to take a chance.

Colchester v Marine

Marine caused an upset in the previous round beating Chester, but I struggle to see the Step 4 side doing much against League 2 Colchester. They have won 3 of their 5 league games, but 2 of them came against 2 of the weaker sides in the division and they should be easily outclassed in this. Colchester are in solid form in League 2 this season and I think they can cover the -2 handicap here.

Dagenham & Redbridge v Grimsby

Dagenham are currently bottom of the National League and have really struggled this season. Their only win came against Wealdstone who were poor that evening and Dagenham did enough to deserve the win without looking that great themselves. Grimsby are doing well enough in League 2 and have done well away from home so far this season. They are better than Dagenham and odds against quotes look good value to me.

Hayes & Yeading v Carlisle

Hayes were another side who won for me in the previous round when they caused an upset by beating Wealdstone. This game will be much tougher though and Carlisle are currently in 5th position in League 2 having beaten top of the table Newport on Tuesday night. The fact there are no fans will help the away side as the home fans can't create a hostile atmosphere and attempt to make things tricky for the Football League side. I think Carlisle will win this with ease and they can cover the -1 handicap.

Scunthorpe v Solihull Moors

Another solid National League side taking on a poor side from League 2 in this tie. Scunthorpe were hit with Covid and that means they haven't played for 2 weeks. When they were playing though they only managed to pick up 4 points in 8 games, scoring just 3 goals in the process. I was a bit surprised Solihull lost 3-1 to Maidenhead last Saturday, but prior to that they had only lost one of their 1st 5 games. They should be in the play-off picture this season and given how bad Scunthorpe have been so far this season they could easily cause an upset here. 

Acca

I have put together an 8 fold acca where I think the Football League side will knock out the Non-League. I am putting in Harrogate, Colchester and Carlisle as per the bets above. I am then adding Bradford to win at Tonbridge, Port Vale to beat Kings Lynn, Doncaster to beat FCUM in the live BBC2 game, Oldham to win at Hampton and Blackpool to win at Eastbourne. The acca pays 11.4/1 with Betfair.

Harrogate -3 1pt @ 11/4 with Betfair

Boreham Wood 2pts @ Evs with Bet365

South Shields 1pt @ 8/1 with William Hill

Colchester -2 2pts @ 9/5 with Betfair

Grimsby 2.5pts @ 11/10 with Bet365

Carlisle -1 2pts @ 11/10 with Betfair

Solihull Moors 1pt @ 13/5 with Bet365

Harrogate/Bradford/Port Vale/Colchester/Doncaster/Oldham/Carlisle/Blackpool 1pt acca @ 11.4/1 with Betfair