** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **

Europa League Predictions > Aug 25th - 27th

Just a thought in terms of betting angles - given these are now one legged ties, are goals more likely in the matches with short priced favs at home - on basis the fav goes in front the dog isn't interested in hanging in for a low margin defeat, they need to get back in the game/could then lose interest when 3 down. Maybe something more for inplay, but might explore some handicaps on some of the solid shorties.

TNS vs Zilina

The Europa League 1st Qualifying Round continues on Thursday night and I'm going to offer a unique perspective on the Welsh teams for my two previews for the games coming up. First up, it's the clash between a wounded TNS and Slovak Super Liga side Zilina in a 6:30pm BST kick-off from Park Hall in Oswestry. The visiting side are heavy favourites but is it justified?

TNS suffered the disappointment of missing out on retaining their Cymru Premier title to Connah's Quay last season. The covid-19 suspension would have left a sour taste in the mouth for the Saints and they'll be keen to get vengeance this season. Manager Scott Ruscoe knows his team face a difficult task here having not played a single competitive game since March of this year. The Saints have experience of Europe having constantly qualified for a continental adventure for the past two decades but their best performance was reaching the Europa League Play-Off in 2010/11 when they exited to CSKA Sofia. It's hard to see them matching that this season.

Zilina are back in Europe after a two-year absence. Manager Pavol Stano led his team to 2nd in the domestic league last season and they are already 3 matches in their 2020/21 league campaign with 2 wins and 1 loss. This is another team that has an experienced side when it comes to European competition. Recent opponents on the European stage have included FC Copenhagen and Athletic Bilbao. It was also only in the 2010/11 season that they reached the Champions League group stages where they faced Chelsea, Marseille, and Spartak Moscow.

There is no doubt that TNS have a huge opportunity to spring a surprise here. The one-off game set-up favours the home teams but, as @Kiddo112 rightly pointed out, it does add a cup knockout feel to proceedings. This will be a Zilina side that has come here to win and with no fans allowed in the ground you have to say that a lot of home advantage is reduced. I can see the away side getting a narrow win here as Welsh sides continue to struggle in continental competition due to their opponents simply being more prepared, sharper, and fitter.

Zilina to Win @ 1.73 with Gentingbet

BTTS @ 1.72 with Bet365

Valletta vs Bala Town

The second preview for the upcoming Europa League 2020/21 1st Qualifying Round matches is covering the clash between Maltese Premier League club Valletta and Cymru Premier side Bala Town. Kick-off is scheduled for 7pm BST on Thursday night at the Centenary Stadium in Ta Qali. My own club have endured a positive relationship with Bala down the years so I'm keen to see them do well. A good club with good people working there.

Valletta finished 2nd in the top flight of the Maltese domestic league last season with Floriana sneaking the title by just 3 points. It was a disappointment for the Citizens to lose the title they won the previous season and they'll be keen to get it back in their hands as soon as possible. The new league campaign hasn't started yet with a scheduled start date listed as 11th September. The home side have been a constant fixture in European competition for the past decade and it was only back in 2015/16 that they faced another Welsh side in the Europa League 1st Qualifying Round. On that occasion, it was Newtown and the Maltese side lost 2-1 in both legs to lose 4-2 on aggregate.

Bala Town have long been threatening to rival the top teams in the Cymru Premier but they remain a team that flirts with European competition with mixed end results. The Lakesiders are currently under the management of Colin Caton and he led them to a respectable 3rd placed finish last season. Their domestic campaign hasn't started yet either so they've been without competition since March of this year. The club is yet to taste an aggregate win in European competition falling victim to the likes of Levadia Tallinn, Differdange, AIK, Vaduz, and Tre Fiori. Hardly the toughest opposition.

As much as I want Bala Town to progress from this game I'm struggling to see it happen. Welsh sides have, quite frankly, fallen flat on their face in Europe so far this season and the supporters are blaming the chaos surrounding the re-structuring of the Welsh league system. I have no doubt Bala will give this a good go but I think Valletta will have too much for them.

Valletta HT/FT @ 2.70 with BetVictor

BTTS @ 1.70 with William Hill

Well, it looks like I've grossly under-estimated the capabilities of the Welsh teams in the Europa League this season! :lol To be fair, it was an out-of-character display by both TNS and Bala Town but pleasing to see. The prospect of Bala Town now rocking up to the San Siro to place AC Milan in the next qualifying round is mouth-watering! @Wiltshire Shot and @Cheltenhamwhite, did either of you see those victories coming?

54 minutes ago, StevieDay1983 said:

Well, it looks like I've grossly under-estimated the capabilities of the Welsh teams in the Europa League this season! :lol To be fair, it was an out-of-character display by both TNS and Bala Town but pleasing to see. The prospect of Bala Town now rocking up to the San Siro to place AC Milan in the next qualifying round is mouth-watering! @Wiltshire Shot and @Cheltenhamwhite, did either of you see those victories coming?

I couldn't make a strong case for either victory, especially after Barry lost to a weaker (on paper) team last week.  I was tempted by a Valletta/Zilina double but didn't.  I'm pleased for Bala, who are my nearest Premier team.