Haydock 1.45 (Sat)

Texas Gold is running in the 1.45 Haydock and I expect a very good run. Favoured 5 furlongs, perfect ground(assuming no overnight rain). Beaten by Smokin Beau lto at Lingfield by 3/4l but was only recieving 1 lb that day. Here he's recieving 3lbs. Possibly the key interest point is the jockey booking. Usual jockey, Martin Dywer, is suspended and Fallon has been booked for the ride. First time theyve been partnered together. I doubt Fallon would have taken the ride without any confidience though and Muir must be confident to go out and get such a top level jockey. Unfortunatly Fallon has probably cost us a few points pricewise but TexasGold is around 5/1 on BF at the moment. Just missed out on payday when he came second 2 runs ago at 14/1. I expect to get paid out tommorrow.

Re: Haydock 1.45 (Sat) I`m on it WFTE. In fact I was on Texas Gold in the Stewards Cup last Saturday but it was a non runner. The odds last week were more appealing than the 5/1 or so today but it`s a policy of mine to follow up non runners like this. The trainer is doing well, it`s won over the distance, the ground should suit and as you point out, the booking of Fallon is significant.

Re: Haydock 1.45 (Sat) Gents, Having read your posts & the good points over the Fallon booking & the horse having his ground I've had a closer look at the race. While I agree Texas Gold should run well he races today off a mark of 97 & his highest winning mark is 89 both on the turf & aw, the last three runs he's just been beaten off 93 twice & 96 so he should be close but I fear something might be too good for him today. My eyes are drawn to Whistler who is 1lb higher than his best ever winning mark of 88 & who won this two years ago off 78 & was fourth Last year off 90. Richard Hills rode him both times & is on again today, Hills as won on him three times & been placed three times from eight rides. His last two runs have been poor but were on soft ground & he has never won on worse than good to soft. At 25.0 the win & 5.0 the place on Betfair he is worth a small interest & I've had 10pts on both. Good luck, Rio.

Re: Haydock 1.45 (Sat)

Yep on it too - noted this horse after WFTE comments a few weeks back.
Thats a 12/1 place and a 3/1 win he's supplied us with now when Ive mentioned him on here. Im so proud of the boy. Really have grown to love this horse over the last few years and even refer to him sometimes as "my" horse. I had a substaintial amount on at 5/1 and some more at 9/2. Im just as happy about the win as I am the profit though. Ive seen this horse develop from a Class 6 horse on the polytrack at Lingfield into a now Class 2 handicap winner in the space of about 3 years.

Re: Haydock 1.45 (Sat) Thanks guys. When do penalties get applied? Texas Gold is down to run in the 7.20 Windsor on Monday. Will he have had any penalty picked up today applied by then?? Looking at the weights he's down as 9-12 which is not in numerical order whereas the rest are so Im guessing he will be carrying a penalty.

Re: Haydock 1.45 (Sat) I would have added my congrats earlier but I've been having trouble logging on, well done :clap The horse has no entries at all at present so will be re-assessed by the handicapper rather than run with a pen. I would think he'll put him up 5 or 6lbs. Rio.

The horse has no entries at all at present so will be re-assessed by the handicapper rather than run with a pen. I would think he'll put him up 5 or 6lbs.
At the time of posting he was entered for Monday night though. What time/ race restrictions decide wether a horse carries a penalty, is reassessed or gets away with neither, after a win?? ie. When they say a horse is due to go up 6 lbs after a race. What decides that he goes up in weights after that race, not for it?

At the time of posting he was entered for Monday night though. What time/ race restrictions decide wether a horse carries a penalty, is reassessed or gets away with neither, after a win?? ie. When they say a horse is due to go up 6 lbs after a race. What decides that he goes up in weights after that race, not for it?
Every horse with a handicap mark is re-assessed by the handicapper after each run. It would be very rare for a winner not to be raised by the handicapper & a horse does not need to win for it's mark to go up, horses placed second, third or in some cases worse can be given a higher mark but this is usually only in valuable races. If Texas Gold had run at Windsor he would have to carry a penalty as the entries are already made & the handicapper can't revise the mark for this race. Were Texas Gold to have been entered in another handicap this week up to & including Friday then he would also have to carry a penalty for that race. The revised handicap marks for all horses come in on Saturday's so Texas Gold would have a new mark for next Saturday & after & so would not carry a penalty. There is an exception to this, the early closing race. These are the really big handicaps, Royal Hunt Cup, Ebor etc where the entries are made several weeks in advance & it may be that a horse has a revised mark for a win after been entered in the early closing race & the conditions of the race will mean it will carry a penalty & not the revised mark. Having had a look on the Racing Post site the trainer is saying Texas Gold will now be aimed at the Portland handicap at the St Leger meeting, he was beaten a head in the race last year off 87. The new handicap mark will be in the Raceform Update on Wednesday, I'll let you know what it is. Rio.

Re: Haydock 1.45 (Sat) Texas Gold has been raised 4lb to a new rating of 101. This puts him on top weight of 9-10 for the Great St Wilfred at Ripon on Saturday. In the ante-post lists he is the favourite at a best priced 13/2 with Victor Chandler. The draw usually plays a big part in this race with a high or low stall needed depending on the going & where the pace in the race is. A middle stall is usually a disadvantage but Smokin Beau managed to win last year drawn bang in the middle from stall 11 of 21 runners, however he was fast away, got to the rail & made all up the far side (high). Rio.