Racehorse Syndicates

Syndicates
Most of you will have seen the winning interviews on either Sky Sport Racing or Racing TV where the 'little man' can mix with the big boys, well at a modest level anyway, by being part of a ownership syndicate.

These syndicates can still be out of range of the 'normal' man in the street but as we know these days there are many schemes whereby for just a few quid you can be part of the action.

Some years ago here on PL some guys got together and bought a 2% share in a horse called Dhaular Dhar trained by Jim Goldie as part of a Middleham Park syndicate. I cant remember the actual figures involved but there were mixed feelings about the experience. They managed to get badges when it ran most of the time but the feedback from the company was pretty poor.

Maybe things have moved on since and we all know Middleham Park is a very successful syndicate. I have just been on their site and for example a 2yo trained by Mark Johnston is on offer for £1,250 for a 2.5% share plus £92 per month. To me that is still a pretty expensive hobby.

I have decided to get involved as part of a project just to see if these really cheap syndicates can be worth getting involved with. I thought i could report my findings and experiences in here and hopefully others may chip in with their experiences too.

So if anyone is part of a syndicate and would like to share their thoughts then please feel free to add anything you like.

:ok

Ok, day 1 of the project

The Purchase

I have purchased a share in a horse called Last Golden Ticket and it will be trained by Donald McCain

The syndicate is part of the Owners Group who also own Axiom and Elite Racing.

The share was just £53 for 12 months and there are 3,000 shares available.

(before anyone says anything i'm not expecting any R.O.I in this project, just the involvement)

I have been promised visits to the yard, a chance of an owners badge when it runs and a share out in any prize money the horse may win. We also get a monthly magazine and a texts about other information about the horse, entries and trainers feedback.

It was a toss up between going with this syndicate or trying the Racing Emporium which is run by the Easterby brothers in Yorkshire. Similar ways in which it is run but mainly flat horses.

I chose this syndicate and this particular horse as its not far from me, Donald McCain is 60 miles up the road so will be able to take advantage of any stable visits and also i'm gambling on him running the horse at Bangor, Haydock, Aintree or Carlisle which are within easy reach.

There are other horses available including the old boy Alcala trainer by Paul Nicholls, he is being aimed at the big Hunter Chases this season and is only £40 a share. Nicholls trains in Somerset and is just too far away for me.

The Horse

Last Golden Ticket

The horse is a 4yo that has had one run in a bumper for Gordon Elliott. He won that day in July at Sligo and has since been sold for around £50,000 from what i can gather.
He will be aimed at Novice Hurdles this season and being closely related to Golden Chieftain he could make up into a useful chaser. There is an option to carry on with the share as long as you want, also you can quit after 12 months is up.

I have been promised a welcome pack within 7 days so will report back when I know anything else:ok

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.