Elo Calculation Spreadsheet?

Hi, I'm looking to compile Elo ratings for the NHL and incorporate them into my existing Poisson model. I'm no expert at vba and doing it manually would be impractical, so was hoping someone had and would be willing to part with a spreadsheet that can receive an input of results and then update the rating?

Cheers

MG

7 hours ago, tryer said:

Hi, I'm looking to compile Elo ratings for the NHL and incorporate them into my existing Poisson model. I'm no expert at vba and doing it manually would be impractical, so was hoping someone had and would be willing to part with a spreadsheet that can receive an input of results and then update the rating?

Cheers

MG

@tryer  I hear what you're saying with it being impractical. Our ELO Ratings are now automatic, but I don't know of any spreadsheet to help you.

I'll move this to systems and strategy where it might get more help. :ok 

@tryerHi there depending on what format your current model is in and how you display and update it I may be able to help or point you in the right direction.

I am by no means a vba programmer but my program uses excel and displays and updates the data from a user form driven by vba

is this the type of thing you are looking for?

Kentucky110

@Kentucky110 Hi, thanks for getting back to me. My existing Poisson model is in Excel and just pulls data from a few web pages and then it is formula based to do the calculations. I was hoping to have another spreadsheet, or just add a few extra sheets to my existing one,  where I can enter or pull results from a page which will then update the Elo ratings. I want to then add Pythagorean expectations (which I'm OK with) and then look to get involved where all 3 approaches point in the same direction. My Poisson model was OK last season, just under break even, so I just want to see if I can make it a little more accurate.

@tryerHi There could you give me an example of a league where you would enter results (A screen shot will give me an Idea where to start and can you make sure it is showing columns and rows)

something like below

image.png.5f16d0b07f4f9ca81240af9d02e4f452.png

how many leagues do you do?

do you want it just in excel or stand alone  with a userform?

I would assume that the vba formula would need to check your current ELO to calculate the New ELO once results have been entered (hope that makes sense)

if you were to add extra sheets to your current model couldn't you just use formulas to pull your current data to create your ratings?

image.png

@tryerSo Image 1 is showing all past results and image 2 is showing current games with results added

Is that correct?

I am just trying to understand how your sheet works do you manually enter the upcoming games and then add the result to image 1 or are you copying data from a site to populate image 1

Hi there, image one is showing past results that I can copy and paste in or pull in through external data, where image 2 is from my existing model showing up and coming matches, I can just get the Elo stuff on a different sheet or spreadsheet and do a vlookup to pop the Elo into the up and coming matches. Ideally I'd like to build the Elo ratings from all the past results for the last 3 or so seasons, once that is up to date I can either manually enter the results or pull them in from external data, either or.

Thanks 

@tryerHi there I now see the enormity of your issue and to be honest it is too complex for my vba skills there are too many variables firstly you have the date then you have the team then you have the Calculated ELO rating that need to be carried forward for each Date/Team.

Have you considered trying one of the dedicated VBA help sites ( Mr Excel, Stackoverflow ect)

I have used these sites in the past to learn what little I know about VBA

or there maybe someone on this forum with skills far greater than mine who can help

Sorry I could not be of assistance on this occasion but good luck with your quest

All your responses are much appreciated,  thanks for getting back to me, I spoke to a few other people and they suggested that Python would be a better option to use, so it looks like I am going to try to teach myself that. Hopefully I can learn it before the new season starts :)

thanks again.