Horses that don't jump straight

Snoopdog

Example: Wynford in Sunday, Worcester 4.15 which jumps markedly to the right.

I once heared this can be a medical issue where the horse is in some pain if it jumps straight.

Any comments or other ideas.

I wont be backing Wynford again.

I feel it counts a lot where a horse is a straight, fast, economical jumper (ie just brushes legs across top of fence). Jumping like a showjumper is very uneconomical.

Ballooning the jumps is always uneconomical .......... they lose a bit of time 'in the air' and also I reckon it can't be good to be landing from a greater height. It must put more strain on the legs and making a steep landing must make it more difficult to get running at racing speed again once you're on the ground. The only plus is that they're less likely to fall at the fence if they clear it by 3 feet rather than brushing through the top. Horse that brush the top can come unstuck on certain tracks that have stiff unyielding fences like Kempton. If you brush the top you're quite likely to come down.

It also makes a big difference if they jump to the inside or the outside of the optimum racing line........... ie it's worse to jump out right on a left handed track because you're jumping away from the racing line and often jockeys will take these horses to the outside of the field to avoid jumping into other horses so they'll often go a few lengths out to the right after landing and then have to be yanked back to the racing line and get back in to the pack........ often having lost a few places

Jumping left on a left handed track is not as bad because you'll be jumping into the racing line and usually have a rail to keep the horse straight and the other horses that jump straight will be sticking to the left as well so you're staying in the group