** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **

Value of Apprentice Allowances

Hi all, not sure if this has been discussed before but does anyone have an opinion on the value of Apprentice claims?

Is a 7lb claimer any more likely to win a race? Does the claim become more valuable as it decreases? ( Due to jockey aquiring experience). In which case a 3lb claim is more valuable than a 7lb claim?

Do you guys who do ratings mark up, down or neither according to a claim?

Your views would be appreciated. Cheers, P53.

Personally I think it depends on the jockey but i do take the claims into account when doing ratings, I think you have to as i'm sure when trainers like Fahey and Hannon use good young jockeys all they are thinking about is taking a few pounds off to try and make that little bit of difference.

If you look at the likes of Hollie Doyle, Tom Marquand (last year), David Egan, George Wood and Nathan Evans. I think any of those riders are well worth putting up if they can claim. There are many others that can do just as good a job as many pro's.

I'm not denying i would sooner have Atzeni, Moore or Spencer etc.. on the big rides but i don't think there is much between the lower division of jockeys at the average midweek meeting, so a claim is very valuable in my opinion.

Tables

http://www.thepja.co.uk/championships/apprentice-conditional-championships/

:ok

In general i find 7lb claimers rubbish they are learning the trade and 99% just make up the numbers but occasionally youll get a gifted rider and then their claim is worth its weight in gold but its rare for a 7lb claimer ....generally with claimers i check the course stats as they tend to be fairly good at one course and absolutely hopeless at the next ...always worth checking before backing 

Strangely enough I was browsing the runners in the 5.15 at Carlisle on Betfair. I saw that Manatee Bay had form figs of 443 last 3 runs. A quick check showed it was down 3lb since last race and had a 7lb claimer aboard. I stuck £2 @ 30 on it just for the hell of it. It won! But only by 3/4 of a length carrying 10lb less than last run. Wish I'd seen it for my NOTD!

I ignore the allowances when working out my ratings - I figure the allowance is generally there for a reason and assume this cancels out the inexperience.

When weighing up a race for a bet, if the jockey is a claimer then I might check the record of the jockey before risking hard cash but if I think the horse is good enough I will usually back it anyway.