Non-League 13th August

Darran

Forest Green Rovers v Gateshead
It hasn’t been a good start for the National League ante-post favourites and not surprisingly they have drifted out after only picking up one point in their first two games. They were pretty poor in their opener at Boreham Wood and it seems they weren’t much better against Sutton on Tuesday. It seems the formation that Mark Cooper is using isn’t working at the moment and his players are struggling to get used to it. Cooper seems under pressure already as he snapped at a local journalist after Tuesday’s night game. There is still a long way to go to turn things around, but backers must be concerned by the start. It could get worse as well as they host a Gateshead side who have made a superb start to the season. Granted Chester and Southport are unlikely to be finishing the season in the top half of the table, but to beat both 3-0 is a decent effort. On paper this should be a tougher game, but on the basis of the first two matches Gateshead shouldn’t be 31/10 (Marathon) shots and they will fancy their chances of making it 3 from 3. They have to be backed at that price.

Guiseley v Dagenham & Redbridge
As I mention above for Dagenham to go from an impressive 3-0 victory on Saturday to losing 3-0 to Chester on Tuesday was rather surprising. Obviously we have limited evidence, but I just wonder if a young Dagenham side might perform better at home than away this season. I think they are probably just about the right favourites here, but I think Guiseley are value at 12/5 (Marathon). Guiseley are yet to pick up a point, but they have had two tough games to start with and have performed with credit in defeats to Eastleigh and Wrexham who scored a very late winner. They look to have a better side than last season and they have a fair chance of surviving. If they continue to put in the performances they have in their first couple of games then they will be winning sooner rather than later and it is worth betting they do it on Saturday.

York City v Boreham Wood
Not only did Boreham Wood beat Forest Green in their opening game of the season, but they then went to Dover and beat them 4-1 on Tuesday night. Granted Dover went down to ten men when they were still 1 up, but even so that is still an impressive effort from Boreham Wood. I opposed York on Tuesday and they did manage to beat Macclesfield 1-0 in the end. The goal was rather fortunate though and I am still unconvinced they are going to be much of a force in this division this season. Whatever way you look at it though a price of 29/10 (Marathon) on an away win looks too big on the basis of Wood’s first two performances.

Alfreton v Curzon Ashton
Four of my bets are priced over 2/1 this weekend, but the Naps will be Alfreton who are 5/6 with Betway. Curzon have conceded 10 goals in their opening two games which is rather worrying. First up Kidderminster put 6 past them on the opening day of the season and then on Wednesday night they drew 4-4 with Bradford Park Avenue. Clearly they have defensive issues at the moment and given Alfreton have scored 7 goals in their first two matches, it looks ripe for them to add to that tally on Saturday. Now they did lose 4-3 to Stockport on Saturday, but they beat Gainsborough 4-0 on Tuesday night. Given the way these two teams have started you would expect Alfreton to add to their 7 goals and that should be enough to win the match.

Bradford Park Avenue v Nuneaton
Bradford have started their season with two draws and as mentioned above they shared 8 goals with Curzon on Wednesday night. That might have taken a bit out of them and it could be crucial that Nuneaton didn’t have a game in mid-week. They lost their first match 3-2 to Halifax and it was a bit worrying that they gifted Halifax a couple of goals, but Halifax are the favourites to win the league and Bradford will be lucky to get into the top half. Nuneaton should be capable of being in the play-off hunt again and I am surprised Marathon have gone 11/5 for them to win this. Given the next biggest price is 15/8, they are also out on a limb. I would still be tempted by 15/8 so the 11/5 has to be worth a punt

Hi all,

What are the chances of darlington and salford?

Addpea,don't you fancy any teams in the southern and northern premier league and ryman league,I don't have much information how these teams strengthened or weakened.

Thanks

Bit surprised Boston have lost their first two and Darlington have had the week off which will help, but look priced about right at 11/10. Salford also had the week off and it seems they were a bit unlucky not to pick up the 3 points last week. Got a fair chance of winning, but again at best only look just about value in my view.

No don't fancy anything at Step 3 this weekend. I don't often play in those leagues as I don't know them as well as the National Leagues and usually pays to wait and see how the form settles down. Cinderford ended up winning in mid-week though which surprised me so either Dorchester are really bad or Cinderford aren't quite as bad as it seemed they were going to be. I would rather see some more evidence before having a strong view. In the early stages of the season I have much stronger views on how teams are going to do in the National Leagues, but even then you have to have a bit of caution. I fell into the trap on Tuesday of being stronger than I should have been on teams after just one game. 

One thing worth pointing out is that Ilkeston have been suspended from playing any football by the league although they still seem to think they will be allowed to play tomorrow. It is unclear why they have been suspended although it seems they have a lot of debt and they are due around £400k from the Che Adams transfer. So it seems people they owe money to now want their money. Liam Hearn has already jumped ship to Alfreton, but one to keep an eye on rather than get involved in especially as I am doubtful they will even play tomorrow.

Very sorry gents but I ended up backing Chippenham to beat Weymouth on Tuesday.  They were the best side I saw at the Bob Lucas last season, and having strengthened I felt they were value at 3.80 despite my view that Weymouth were top 5 material.  Went along to the game and was surprised just how bad Weymouth were, and how good Chippenham were - first to everything, big strong lads, well up for it.  4-1 did not flatter them.  So I will be backing Chippenham to beat Cambridge City this weekend on the strength of that performance - it was genuinely flawless, and the pressing game they have suits away games.  They had one of the best away records in the division last season.  Interestingly they struggled more at home when teams come to defend - as proved with the draw Kings Langley took away last weekend. 

Weymouth - Redditch now looks a very interesting game.  Redditch took Poole close last year and will be pushing for promotion this year having taken 2 wins from 2 against Chesham and Stratford, but after Tuesday Weymouth have something to prove.  I think we got our team selection and formation wrong on Tuesday, and that should be rectified - if so, I can see a draw suiting both sides.  Probably a no bet though.

Regarding Cinderford.  Their game against Dorchester on Tuesday was affected by the fact that Dorch had 3 key players out including talisman Nathan Walker and player manager Mark Jermyn.  I'm not surprised they lost, but 7 goals in two games for Cinderford is certainly interesting.  However, I will be backing Dorchester at 5.00 as they are value at that price with key players returning.

Edited by wittonalbion

I always just have 2 or 3 selections on a Saturday with a 3pts/2pts/1pt staking plan

Chester 11/8 (Hills) to beat Maidstone - Not sure why i fancy Chester so much. A poor performance at Gateshead was followed up with a good home win v Dagenham midweek. The price is right for a quick back to back home win.

Tonbridge Angels to beat Wingate at a shade of odds on. Angels are 'itching' to get going according to press reports and as i have backed them Pre Season i must follow them to get off to a flying start after some good pre season signings.

2 singles 1 Double

2 hours ago, wittonalbion said:

Very sorry gents but I ended up backing Chippenham to beat Weymouth on Tuesday.  They were the best side I saw at the Bob Lucas last season, and having strengthened I felt they were value at 3.80 despite my view that Weymouth were top 5 material.  Went along to the game and was surprised just how bad Weymouth were, and how good Chippenham were - first to everything, big strong lads, well up for it.  4-1 did not flatter them.  So I will be backing Chippenham to beat Cambridge City this weekend on the strength of that performance - it was genuinely flawless, and the pressing game they have suits away games.  They had one of the best away records in the division last season.  Interestingly they struggled more at home when teams come to defend - as proved with the draw Kings Langley took away last weekend. 

Weymouth - Redditch now looks a very interesting game.  Redditch took Poole close last year and will be pushing for promotion this year having taken 2 wins from 2 against Chesham and Stratford, but after Tuesday Weymouth have something to prove.  I think we got our team selection and formation wrong on Tuesday, and that should be rectified - if so, I can see a draw suiting both sides.  Probably a no bet though.

Regarding Cinderford.  Their game against Dorchester on Tuesday was affected by the fact that Dorch had 3 key players out including talisman Nathan Walker and player manager Mark Jermyn.  I'm not surprised they lost, but 7 goals in two games for Cinderford is certainly interesting.  However, I will be backing Dorchester at 5.00 as they are value at that price with key players returning.

Great post. I thought Cinderford would struggle to get out of single figures this season to be honest and they had to name co manager Chris Burns on the bench last Saturday. Even with Dorchester having 3 key men out they should really have done better. I was just glad they were too short a price too back. Will be interesting to see how both get on today.