** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

Non league season bets

Not sure who I am going to back yet as quite a few look possible contenders. Wouldn't rule out Barrow totally but would say the price is on the skinny side as not sure they are going to have the strength others in the division will have. You won't get top 10 prices but you usually get top half prices although would imagine they would be a shade of odds on.

On 07/07/2016, 01:16:45, addpea said:

Not sure who I am going to back yet as quite a few look possible contenders. Wouldn't rule out Barrow totally but would say the price is on the skinny side as not sure they are going to have the strength others in the division will have. You won't get top 10 prices but you usually get top half prices although would imagine they would be a shade of odds on.

I would say now it is with majority of company's but the 20/1 was takeable small stakes e/w imo, i don't expect them to win it but could certainly be right up there and place, any chance you know which bookie that is usually with ? If that's the case i will be having more than a small stake on that.

Forest Green have to be backed at 6.00 due to their financial backing. I know they have failed so far but they are getting closer each season.

Eastleigh are another decent shout. They impressed last season.

As a Welshman, I will probably put a bet on Wrexham but most likely at e/w.

13 hours ago, mr.auxins said:

I would say now it is with majority of company's but the 20/1 was takeable small stakes e/w imo, i don't expect them to win it but could certainly be right up there and place, any chance you know which bookie that is usually with ? If that's the case i will be having more than a small stake on that.

Skybet did it last season and BetVictor might do it as well.

5 hours ago, StevieDay1983 said:

Forest Green have to be backed at 6.00 due to their financial backing. I know they have failed so far but they are getting closer each season.

As they have proven money doesn't always buy success at this level. They will have a chance obviously but the price is no value especially with so many dangers lurking. Eastleigh disappointed big time for me as they should have reached the play-offs at the very least. Possibly the Cup run distracted them, but it was April which had plenty to do with the fact they missed the play-offs. They weren't great at defending last season, but Chris Todd does seem to have improved that. They didn't score as many goals as they should have done either and that would still worry me at this stage. Again one of many who have claims, but I don't fancy them anywhere near as strongly as I did going into last season.

19 minutes ago, addpea said:

As they have proven money doesn't always buy success at this level. They will have a chance obviously but the price is no value especially with so many dangers lurking. Eastleigh disappointed big time for me as they should have reached the play-offs at the very least. Possibly the Cup run distracted them, but it was April which had plenty to do with the fact they missed the play-offs. They weren't great at defending last season, but Chris Todd does seem to have improved that. They didn't score as many goals as they should have done either and that would still worry me at this stage. Again one of many who have claims, but I don't fancy them anywhere near as strongly as I did going into last season.

What about Wrexham then? They've been flirting with a return to the Football League for a few years now. Hearing whispers that FAW is set to invest some of the prize money into developing grass roots more up north so if they can get promoted there could be good times ahead for the coming years. Signing Shwan Jalal could be a great move as well. 

15 hours ago, addpea said:

Don't fancy Wrexham at all to be honest. Lost some key players and never really looked like getting in the play-offs last season and think they will do well to reach them this season.

That's a shame. They are one team I would love to see back in the Football League. Cardiff had a really hardcore rivalry with them back in those days.

On 14/07/2016, 16:13:35, Woodgate said:

Thanks but its a bit messy. Thought there might was a site who listed the clubs in and outs.

Thanks anyway though.

The offical site did at one time but it doesn't appear to do so now. The Racing Post will have one in their football pullout just before the season starts although I have noticed it doesn't include everything. I think it is much harder to keep a full track of all the goings on in non-league which might be why you can't find a full list anywhere.

Hi guys, 

The new season is quickly approaching, just a few weeks away. What are your thoughts?

Here's my 50 p on a few teams ..

Forest Green Rovers: 

Bookies favourite to gain direct promotion. Financially well off, excellent training facilities and equipment. Decent signings this year, with Matt Tubbs being a key-signing together with Darren Carter. They have widened their pitch with a meter ahead of this season as they wants to make the opposition run. Likes to control the game, possessions type of style. Likes to put pressure high up in the pitch. New drainage, and a new groundsman. Has a various setup of strikers this year, different kind of players. Ambitious club but I put sa question-mark down for the manager, sure it's important to have the financials, but it as well important with a good manager who knows the division well. Forest Green clearly a top-side this year but we think this rather young side will underachieve again. Their type of style leaves them very vulnerable against certain teams. 

Dover Athletic: 

Name a team this season who have lost more important players? Payne & Deverdics stood for almost everything offensively last year. Payne with some 23 goals and 10+ assist. Deverdics with 14 goals and close to 20 assists. Massive losses for Dover who looks very unlikely to match the record finish for last season. 

Gateshead: 

Almost an entire new team with some 13 new signings this season. A completely overhauled squad. Have had a decent pre-season. Very good attacking line in Bowman & Johnson who stood for close to 30 goals last season. Good new recruit in Brundle, a two footed versatile player with a good attitude. Professional club with a good set-up. Will take time to get all new faces together but could surprise a few this season ...

Guisely FC: 

Managed to avoid relegation last season by 1 point. Created some chances during the season but were lacking a clinical goalscorer. The club has intentionally reduced the average age in the squad this season and improved their fitness levels. Will they improve the issue with defending set pieces this season? Part timers who I think will act more wise this year and the experience they gained from last season could come in useful this season. They will have a tough start to the season as they play many predicted top sides directly in the first few rounds. Look out for MF Vidal, a crowdpleaser with pace and a good ball winnings ability ... Lost key GK Drench ...

Degenham & Redbridge: 

Watch out for relegated Degenham & Redbridge! in my eyes probably the best manager in the league, who have great experience from this division. A 650k parachute won't hurt them either. Smart signings, players who knows the level. Key-player, Guttridge, intelligent player with a great passing eye. Defensively they were weak last season, hopefully this is something they have adjusted for this season. Direct promotion contender?

Kind Regards, 

Boggen

Edited by boggen
caps

On 7/8/2016, 10:04:13, StevieDay1983 said:

I don't agree. 

Sure it's important with some financial stability, FGR have that. But also a manager who we don't rate highly. FGR also have a quite young side and their style of play leaves them very vulnerable against certain types of opposition. Surely a top 5-6 side but I think they will underachieve again ...

More important than money in this league, or as important .

A coach that knows the division inside and out ...

6 hours ago, boggen said:

I don't agree. 

Sure it's important with some financial stability, FGR have that. But also a manager who we don't rate highly. FGR also have a quite young side and their style of play leaves them very vulnerable against certain types of opposition. Surely a top 5-6 side but I think they will underachieve again ...

A coach that knows the division inside and out .......IE Paul Cox

23 hours ago, addpea said:

The offical site did at one time but it doesn't appear to do so now. The Racing Post will have one in their football pullout just before the season starts although I have noticed it doesn't include everything. I think it is much harder to keep a full track of all the goings on in non-league which might be why you can't find a full list anywhere.

Can only agree on that mate.

On 17/07/2016, 15:53:49, boggen said:

I don't agree. 

A coach that knows the division inside and out ...

On the whole I agree about the manager thing, but look at Gary Johnson last year. Yes he had won the Conference, but a long time ago and the league is very different now. He is such a good manager though that he was able to overcome that. Mark Cooper was managing at this level fairly recently so he does have that in his favour. Interestingly I was reading the local paper's view on their friendly against Birmingham at the weekend and he said that every time the keeper had the ball he always played it to short instead of going long sometimes. The guy from the paper thought that could cause them problems once the season starts.Not sure there side is that young and they probably have the balance about right. Interesting they signed Matt Tubbs last week. Proven at this level, but he did very little at Eastleigh last season.

4 hours ago, Woodgate said:

When you are looking for injuries and suspensions for each game, are you just using twitter of each club + homepage of the club?

Or is there any other site who have them all ?

Suspensions you can get from the FA website. Injuries are a little harder to find out about. Either the clubs own website or Twitter or the local paper.