Five Furlong Races at Southwell

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned in the Flat Racing thread that I'd noticed a marked bias for low draws in the five furlong races at Southwell If you're not a fan of the AW you might not know that the 5F track at Southwell is run from a chute and is the only straight 5F on the AW tracks which makes track form more relevant Moreover the stall are placed up against the near rail with the low draws in the middle of the track and the high draws up against the near side rail My theory is that the place to be is the centre of the track .......the fibresand appears to gather towards the rails as the course is harrowed. Even on te round course you'll see horses heading for the centre of the track off the final bend.......sometimes they stick to the inside (or far side from the TV camera) rail but they never come over to the near side. So the sand is deeper there That's the logic behind the draw bias....... Quite a lot of interest and Richard has suggest a separate thread just for discussion of these races Next one on Sunday ! (Of course now everybody will be backing the low drawn horses and the edge will disappear ......but this is something I've noticed over several years and I think the big advantage comes and goes. I'm guessing that every now and then they'll give the track a right good 'seeing to' and the surface will be evened out until gradually over a few meetings the fibresand begins to gather up against the rails again. )

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.