2014 Review

With 2014 drawing to a close and a few days of no racing, now might be a good time to reflect back over the past 12 months, so what's been your racing highlight of the year, punting or otherwise? What are you looking forward to in 2015? Have you improved anything this year or have you seen something that did work not working as well as it did? If there's anything you want to share about how the year has gone, do it here :ok

Re: 2014 Review My performance of the year would be the comeback of Treve to smash the Arc field Over jumps the exploits of Sire de Grugy in the second half of last jumps season In the last couple of week's it's becoming aware of Lizzie Kelly..........grrrrrr, if I was 40 years younger.........:D

Re: 2014 Review My punting highlight would have been backing Western Warhorse in the Arkle at a silly price. My punting lowlight would have been spending days trawling through the form of the last 28 Arc winners with a smartarse view of finding alternative trends. Starting a thread on here and using the strongest trend, immediately putting a line through Treve!!! My smug highlights of the year was proving myself correct that this years middle distance 3yos were even worse than last years mob. Being correct in my derby thread that Adelaide was the best 3yo in the O Brien stable and not the over hyped Australia. Promises for next year will be an in depth thread on group 1 races with particular reference to how horses are prepped for them, and no more betting on aw racing. Roll on boxing day.

Re: 2014 Review My highlight of this year has been going to many of the high class meetings as a Racemaker to help the public enjoy their day. For those who don't know, Racemakers are volunteers from all walks of life who love horses and/or racing. It was an especially great experience to be at the Oaks and Derby. Getting an unexpected selfie with William Haggas, at Ascot, also brings a smile to my face! Punting wise it's been one to forget, as last year was much better, but I have high hopes for next year. A little disappointing is the restricted view at Towcester (my local track) now that the dog track has been installed and them selling fixtures, although from a business point of view it probably makes sense. My worry is that it may become a Hereford or Folkstone a few years down the line. I'm looking forward to Great Leighs reopening, as I was only just getting into the sport when it closed. It could rejuvenate the fortunes of many stables around about that area. Unlike many, I can get excited by watching an AW race (providing the horse i've backed is challenging) as much as I can about a classic, and I'm really hoping that that doesn't disappear.

Re: 2014 Review I've just finished reading "One hunderd hints for better betting" by Mark Coton. Recommend it. He keeps hitting on cutting out the bad bets. This is a trait I recognise in myself - and for 2015 I hope to seriously reduce them ! In my case, these (mostly losers) might be: 1. On going through the cards on a morning, no horses fully fit my selection criteria, so I force it a bit, relaxing my requirements. There's nothing wrong in a day without a bet. 2. It's miserable outside, but the racing's on the telly. Again we force it a bit. It's OK to watch without a bet. 3. Those extra bets ! Having made a few decent selections which fit my criteria at the start of the day, I start watching it on the telly. It's easy to get persuaded by the studio "expert", then start placing extra bets on races where I had no selection. I think I can get another 10% return by cutting out the bad ones. So onwards to a more prfitable 2015.

Re: 2014 Review Biggest loss of the year was on Silviniaco Conti in the Gold Cup, biggest win was on Albasharah at HQ Oct 11th, happy to hold up my hands and say its not been a good year. Two stand out piss poor jockeys of the year are. No - 1 Mr Tom Queally [h=3]T P Queally Vital stats[/h][TABLE=class: tbl t3, width: 100%]

[TR] [TH=class: ixt]Period[/TH] [TH=align: center]Runs[/TH] [TH=align: center]1st[/TH] [TH=align: center]2nd[/TH] [TH=align: center]3rd[/TH] [TH=align: center]Win%[/TH] [TH=align: center]£ level stake[/TH] [/TR] [TR] [TD=class: ixt]Last 7 Days (Combined)[/TD] [TD=align: center]11[/TD] [TD=align: center]0[/TD] [TD=align: center]2[/TD] [TD=align: center]1[/TD] [TD=align: center]0.0[/TD] [TD=align: center]-11.0[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=class: ixt]Season (Combined)[/TD] [TD=align: center]759[/TD] [TD=align: center]81[/TD] [TD=align: center]72[/TD] [TD=align: center]74[/TD] [TD=align: center]10.67[/TD] [TD=align: center]-214.62 [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] No- 2 Mr Martin Harley [h=3]Martin Harley Vital stats[/h][TABLE=class: tbl t3, width: 100%] [TR] [TH=class: ixt]Period[/TH] [TH=align: center]Runs[/TH] [TH=align: center]1st[/TH] [TH=align: center]2nd[/TH] [TH=align: center]3rd[/TH] [TH=align: center]Win%[/TH] [TH=align: center]£ level stake[/TH] [/TR] [TR] [TD=class: ixt]Last 7 Days (Combined)[/TD] [TD=align: center]3[/TD] [TD=align: center]1[/TD] [TD=align: center]1[/TD] [TD=align: center]1[/TD] [TD=align: center]33.33[/TD] [TD=align: center]-1.09[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=class: ixt]Season (Combined)[/TD] [TD=align: center]581[/TD] [TD=align: center]78[/TD] [TD=align: center]88[/TD] [TD=align: center]76[/TD] [TD=align: center]13.43[/TD] [TD=align: center]-172.9[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] More than happy to post a selection of flat races from this season where both of them are utterly clueless and a good amateur would put them both to shame. Piss Poor men, piss poor.

Re: 2014 Review I've been recording all my bets on course and adding in the online bets too which are all saved with the online bookmakers. From November 2013 up until present I have only had one losing month - August 2014, a few bad days at York. Profit has varied from about £25 to around £1,000 but I know I am in front. Lack of confidence means either no bet at all or a small bet and when I am more confident I have increased stakes. I've avoided maidens in the past but this season I've spent a lot of time around the paddock, definitely improved and fired in winners up to 25-1, including unraced maidens. (Celestial Path 20-1 and White Lake 25-1 the 2 standout bets) I'm enjoying having a racing pass and getting to plenty of meetings with Whoneedsrio. Although many people are having to change methods to find value I find still sticking to ground, trip and class are the 3 main factors. There are so many races where a horse finishes 2nd or 3rd in a maiden and then ends up a ridiculously short price next time out that it screams value, usually in the 2nd fav or 3rd fav, sometimes longer priced as mentioned above and usually down to specific trainers. I've also enjoyed getting to the races with the camera and getting a few shots of some decent animals like The Grey Gatsby, Australia etc. Betting highlight would be from a few weeks ago. I was due to go to Donny with Whoneedsrio and woke up on the Saturday morning at 5am in agony with pains in my side that turned out to be kidney stones again. Was at Calderdale hospital at 8am seeing the emergency doctor and ended up missing the racing and spending the afternoon on the sofa watching ATR, RUK and C4 racing. I had done my form study the night before and put all my bets on already online. I had no interest in the last race and had I been there would probably have left before the last. I had single bets on 4 of the 6 races and had the other 2 races in multiple bets, 2 x £10 wins, 2 x £40 wins and small multiples from doubles up to a £5 five fold. I watched as all 6 winners came in and landed me around £1020 and was waiting on Virak for the 5 fold. It's rare I even do multiples but 2 of the races had odds on favourites that looked hard to beat. Probably the 1st and last time I'll go through the card like that landing winner after winner. I've enjoyed watching the passing of the baton from jockeys like Fallon and Dettori to the new breed such as Atzeni, Oisin Murphy, Tudhope and even Mulrennan anbd was also pleased to see Spencer change his mind about retirement. I'm looking forward to the King George tomorrow and the festival in March. I also look forward to the next batch of 2 year olds that we will see for the flat season in 2015. An enjoyable and profitable 2014 and hoping for more of the same in 2015. Merry Xmas to all on Punterslounge and all the best for the new year. :ok

Re: 2014 Review My two favourite rides this year would have to be the ride P Carberry gave Guitar Pete at the Aintree meeting. And the ride Dettori gave Olympic Glory at Longchamp. My two favourite performances would be Vautour in the Supreme & Kingman in the St James. My year betting wise has been alright, very up and down, obviously betting is alot confidence based. My highlight would probably be Champions Day landing a £5 trixie for a £1250 return. Next year I want to try and be less rash and keep stakes abit more level, too often this year I've. backed 5 winners in a row then gone and stuck a big bet on a short priced one and left myself skint. So I'm going to try and be more disciplined and hopefully I should do alright. Here's to a healthy & prosperous 2015

Re: 2014 Review Just thought I'd add to this since we are close to the end of 2014. The two main highlights for me were Treve winning the Arc after being written off by many and The Giant Bolster winning the Argento at Cheltenham early in the year. He's a favourite of mine and it was nice to see him bounce back to form. In terms of punting I had a great 6 or 7 months to start the year but I've been disappointed at how I've tailed off towards the end of the year. I've not been very disciplined in the past couple of months and have chased some of my losses. Betting in races that I wouldn't normally touch and forcing myself to have a bet on a day when nothing looks appealing are habits that I've picked up towards the end of this year which I'd like to iron out in 2015. All in all, in terms of punting, it's been a profitable year but it's frustrating as it could've been better! The Cheltenham Festival and the climax of the AW championships are things I'm looking forward to in the early part of 2015. Best of luck for next year everyone!

Re: 2014 Review Had a poor year punting wise, in terms of horses at least. Tried different things, got a bloody nose. Not having enough time been a real killer but my urge to be involved somehow in the game lead to poor decisions and it's really a year to forget. Highlight of the year been clearly my two days at the Cheltenham Festival. A fantastic experience which was dream come true. The legendary roar of the crowd on opening Tuesday is something to be seen and heard in flesh. Other highlights were being at the 2.000 Guineas at Newmarket (with fellow PL member jayalexander) as well as the fantastic Irish Champions Weekend. The Irish Champions Stakes were clearly my race of the year, despite not having a bet. But watching it from the stand was just some experience as the atmosphere was really special, before the race with all the hype around Australia, but then also the way the dramatic finish panned out. Seeing my favourite horse Variety Club winning big in Dubai and later in Hong Kong, establishing himself as the best miler in the world, was just wonderful. Followed this horse for a long time in South Africa before already and told anyone he'd be a huge success once racing elsewhere. Happy retirement champ!

Re: 2014 Review Somewhat late to this but a couple of resolutions/highlights: Betting only where there appears to be value - to this effect, trying to identify where my strengths are and improving my discipline. Cutting out the "bad bets" and spending more time watching and less time betting. Highlights were attending the 2000 Guineas at Newmarket and, for 2015, I'll be at Cheltenham for the opening day. Hoping to attend the AW Championships and the Guineas as well, time allowing.

Re: 2014 Review Treve winning the Arc was the highlight for me but I also thought The Grey Gatsby's win over Australia in the ICS was a fantastic moment in the racing year. Watching Vautour completely destroy the field in the Supreme was also special especially as it kicked off a great day punting wise with Jezki winning at 10/1 later. Belardo was my biggest priced winner at 16/1 in the Dewhurst but possibly the most satisfying winner I had was Bow Creek in the Boomerang Mile at Leopardstown when the race turned out exactly pretty much as I analysed it. I need to start asking myself whether the horse will win and not just outrun it's odds as I find my selections beat the Betfair SP a lot of the time and outrun their odds yet don't have enough to win. I bet to win most of the time so maybe introducing more each way betting would suit me better but I still need to look at my selection process. My discipline needs to improve as well if I want to be profitable. Overall I made a slight loss but a lot was learned and I'm looking forward to the new year.