** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Flat Racing - Sunday 25th May

Re: Flat Racing - Sunday 25th May Curragh 2.15 - Srucahan 14/1 & Whimsical 25/1 (1/2 stake) Srucahan is a very interesting runner given his form on slower surfaces earlier this year, placing twice and winning once over C&D. 5f on good ground was never going to be right for him last time out so back to this trip and on soft or worse he has a great chance and given his come from behind style, Hughesie is the perfect man to have on board. Whimsical is more of a left field selection, albeit for the same trainer. Back in 2012 when he was with Richard Hannon Snr he ran really well on soft and heavy ground (over 7f), both times coming from behind. in 2013 he ran twice, once a non stayer on the AW over 8f and then being hampered over 7f at Goodwood but still running respectably. If his new trainer has been able to freshen him up and get him ready for this race (no reason why he wouldnt given the pot on offer) then he could be a live outsider. I think a stiff 6f will be ok as long as they go hard enough. Curragh 3.55 - Al Thakira (initially got 12's now 9's) I think this is a bit of a weak race in truth with almost half of them so far not achieving an RPR of over 100. With that in mind it might not take an awful amount of winning and Al Thakira's Newmarket G2 win is probably the best form on offer so far on a softer surface. Since then she has flopped on firm ground in America, gone close at Newbury in the Fred Darling before flopping again in France where being held up in a slow and messy race whilst also being hampered as the race got going at the 2f pole. I get the feeling that these conditions will be ideal with a galloping track, softer ground and what will probably be a decent enough draw. Hughesy is also on board this one and again he appeals as the right jockey to get the best out of this filly.

Re: Flat Racing - Sunday 25th May Ok, so these are both rather speculative investments but I think it's the only way to go in a race of this nature and I have backed one on either side of the track, it's anybody's guess how the draw will pan out by race time tomorrow... 2:15 Curragh – Burn The Boats (22/1 Bet365) 1pt Win I was quite keen on Burn The Boats in the Victoria Cup at Ascot a few weeks ago, he didn't really run his race on that occasion but I think it is testament to the high regard that he is held in by his trainer Ger Lyons that he was given such a tough assignment on his first start of the season. This is not a great deal easier but he did win a similar race over this course and distance last year and his best form thus far in his career has been over tomorrow’s trip of 6 furlongs. He's not completely proven on soft ground but is closely related to horses who do handle soft so I am not too concerned in that regard. I think he has a good chance of getting involved here if he can put that last run behind him. 2:15 Curragh – Ballyorban (33/1 Bet365) 0.75pts Win Ballyorban comes with a huge amount of risk attached but I have a sneaking feeling he could be capable of popping up at a massive price here. One thing that is certain is that he is very attractively handicapped on the best of his form as he is now 1lb below the mark he won off at Cork at the start of last season, the other thing that is quite clear is that he handles testing ground as his two career wins came on soft and heavy respectively. On the not so positive side, he has not shown the kind of form needed to win a race of this nature for quite a while, last season there was a lot more bad than good after that aforementioned win at Cork on his debut and he was never at the races on his first start this season. Mixed in with his generally poor performances last season were two decent runs when only beaten a couple of lengths off higher marks than tomorrow and I think his first start this year was just too bad to be true and I can overlook it for now. If you go back to his juvenile days he has a couple of close seconds to some smart Ballydoyle horses, one of which, Snow Queen went on to be Group class, so I think he definitely does have a good level of ability but whether he can run to the height of that ability seems to be another matter entirely. I quite like the fact that he drops back to 6 furlongs as he has only run over the distance twice, leading to a win and a second place finish, and you definitely want one who can stay beyond the distance for these kind of races at the Curragh and he fits the bill having won and placed at 7 furlongs. He could well finish last and never be sighted but I think there is a possibility that we could see a much improved performance from my selection tomorrow and if he does turn up in the mood to run he is handicapped to go very close indeed.

Re: Flat Racing - Sunday 25th May 2.15 Curragh: Srucahan, 14/1 >Paddy Power, e/w (1/4, 12345) Srucahan finished 7th in a Listed race lto over 5f which is a bit short for him and on good ground which doesn't suit. The step back up in trip to 6f and the soft/heavy ground will see him be a lot more competitive today. Before that race, he won a 20-runner handicap over c&d off top weight. He was held up and came with a great late run to win by ½L. He is just five pounds higher today and he should run a big race. Trainer Paul Deegan is in decent form. Richard Hughes takes over in the saddle which is a big plus given this horses usual hold up tactics. 2.45 Curragh: Blue Hussar, 9/2 >Bet365, win Blue Hussar finished fourth in a listed race lto despite looking quite awkward throughout. He didn't seem to handle Lingfield's undulations or tight bends at all but he stayed on quite well in the straight and should be much more suited to The Curragh. That was his first run of the year so it should bring him on a bit fitness wise and the experince will definitely stand to him. In his only run last year, he won his maiden quite well despite running very green. He was slowly away and had to be pushed along before halfway. He responded well though and won nicely in the end despite hanging a bit left in the closing stages. Joseph O'Brien chooses to ride Adelaide ahead of Blue Hussar but that allows Ryan Moore to keep the ride on BH having ridden him lto. 3.55 Curragh: Al Thakhira, 9/1 >William Hill, win Al Thakhira finished 8th in the French 1000 Guineas lto. She was held up and, as it was a slowly run race and she was hampered when the sprint for home begun, she never had any chance of winning but still kept on well inside the final furlong. Before that she was beaten a head by J Wonder in the Group 3 Fred Darling Stakes. Last year she won a Group 2 at Newmarket on good to soft ground when she had the re-opposing Lightning Thunder 4L behind. She won her maiden on soft ground so today's going won't be a problem and the trip will suit. Richard Hughes is in the saddle.

Re: Flat Racing - Sunday 25th May

3.20 Curragh Magician 5/6 Boylesports BOG
Magician is a proven Group 1 performer and will come on a lot for his first outing here lto when he got up close home under hands and heals to beat Parish Hall. O Brien has a great record in this race and as he is the only proven group 1 performer in the race, it is his to lose.
10 Points win Magician 5/6 Boylesports BOG
4.45 Curragh Adelaide 5/4 Boylesports BOG
Another race farmed by O' Brien and Adelaide who won impressively at Leopardstown last October went on to finishe a close second in a group 2 at Longchamps 2 weeks later. Makes his debut today but sets the standard and should win.
10 Points win Adelaide 5/4 Boylesports BOG 1.45 Curragh Dick Whittington 8/13 BetVictor BOG
Dick Whittington was runner up to Capella Sansevero at Naas 10 days ago and should have won after meeting trouble in running. Will make no mistake today.
10 Points win Dick Whittington 8/13 BetVictor BOG 5.40 Curragh Table Rock 3/1 BetVictor BOG
Table Rock has been runner up 3 times now but sets the standard on his second last week at Navan to Maksoon. The extra 2 furlongs should help and he will win today in what could turn out to be a good maiden.
10 Points win Table Mountain 3/1 BetVictor BOG

Re: Flat Racing - Sunday 25th May

Curragh 2.15 - Srucahan 14/1 & Whimsical 25/1 (1/2 stake) Srucahan is a very interesting runner given his form on slower surfaces earlier this year, placing twice and winning once over C&D. 5f on good ground was never going to be right for him last time out so back to this trip and on soft or worse he has a great chance and given his come from behind style, Hughesie is the perfect man to have on board. Whimsical is more of a left field selection, albeit for the same trainer. Back in 2012 when he was with Richard Hannon Snr he ran really well on soft and heavy ground (over 7f), both times coming from behind. in 2013 he ran twice, once a non stayer on the AW over 8f and then being hampered over 7f at Goodwood but still running respectably. If his new trainer has been able to freshen him up and get him ready for this race (no reason why he wouldnt given the pot on offer) then he could be a live outsider. I think a stiff 6f will be ok as long as they go hard enough. Curragh 3.55 - Al Thakira (initially got 12's now 9's) I think this is a bit of a weak race in truth with almost half of them so far not achieving an RPR of over 100. With that in mind it might not take an awful amount of winning and Al Thakira's Newmarket G2 win is probably the best form on offer so far on a softer surface. Since then she has flopped on firm ground in America, gone close at Newbury in the Fred Darling before flopping again in France where being held up in a slow and messy race whilst also being hampered as the race got going at the 2f pole. I get the feeling that these conditions will be ideal with a galloping track, softer ground and what will probably be a decent enough draw. Hughesy is also on board this one and again he appeals as the right jockey to get the best out of this filly.
Ruubbiiisshhhhh!