** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

BBOTD Sunday 26th January

Lodge

2.55 - Wolverhampton - Alben Star 1pt @ 4/1 Bet365 If you can forgive Alben Star his poor run on fibresand the other day (first attempt on the surface) he looks a fairly good value bet to me. The 6yo has shaped as if he’s at the top of his game over the past month or so and i feel he has good claims of overturning his recent 1L defeat with Trinityelitedotcom. The pair met each other over C&D last month, Trinityelitedotcom winning with Alben Star 1L back giving 7lbs to the winner. The pair meet on level weights tomorrow with Alben Star also benefiting from George Challenor’s 3lb claim tomorrow so he effectively has a 10lb swing in the weights and must have an outstanding chance of overturning the form. It also means Alben Star has a very good chance of beating the in form Caspian Prince on a line of form through Trinityelitedoncom too. He ran poorly over the minimum trip at Southwell on Tuesday but as i mentioned it was his first try on the surface and many just don’t get on with it. He returns to 6f at his favoured course, Wolverhampton, where he has won twice over C&D from 2 attempts and was placed the other 2 runs here. This race does look very competitive but i feel the 3 horses who have gone up in the weights (Trinityelitedotcom, Caspian Prince and Burren View Lady) may not find it easy off their revised marks. At a price i’ll also be keeping an eye on Elusivity, who is starting to look like a well handicapped horse and will strike at some point for a yard who do well with their sprinters. He didn’t show enough on his re-appearance albeit in a good race last time to warrant a bet though.

Re: BBOTD Sunday 26th January Leopardstown 1:30 - Frank Ward Solicitors Arkle Novice Chase (Grade 1) I might just be trying to try to nick third place here as it is a very strong Grade 1 but with Barry Geraghty on board I had a small each-way investment on Art Of Logistics. He ran ok for a long way behind Defy Logic over course and distance last time out and if he can run to the level of his Punchestown win he would have a chance here in my opinion. I thought he would be around 20/1 at most so I am happy to have a small bet at 33/1. Art Of Logistics WIN @ 33/1 Bet365 Read Full Preview @ bit.ly/1laAFQY

Re: BBOTD Sunday 26th January L3.40 A Fine Young Man 1pt Win 14/1 Bet365 I think this one could be filed under "interesting jockey booking" with Barry Geraghty getting in the saddle for only the 2nd time on the horse. The horse has only raced in heavy ground chases twice resulting in a second and a fall when going well. The horse that finished ahead of it in that 2nd place finish has since won off 135 and whilst that form can't be taken too literally since the winner won easily that day, todays mark of 116 might be a decent one.

Re: BBOTD Sunday 26th January 1330 leopardstown 1pt win felix yonger 9/4 pp 8 year old gelding has won 3 out of 4 of his races, and he should have made it 4, but he was given a little too much to do at the finish,should be different today, i would expect ruby to be close to the pace throughout and be ready to pounce close to home,be interesting to see what ap does with his mount, as tactics will make this a very good race

Re: BBOTD Sunday 26th January 2.45 Sedgefield - Tahiti Pearl win @ 7/2 Bet365 Tahiti Pearl has been knocking on the door recently being placed 2nd in each of its last 4 races and I feel that this race is a good opportunity for it to finally get its head in front. It likes it here as it has won four races (One over C&D) and has been placed on one other occasion giving course form figures of 11112. The conditions are also fine as it has won on ground ranging from Good to Heavy so the potentially Heavy ground will be handled well. The trainer/Jockey combination of Sue Smith and Ryan Mania have been doing well enough decently and were unlucky to lose in the Novice Hurdle at Cheltenham on Saturday. I think the other four all have their chances, especially the top 3 who have all been in better races in the past.

Re: BBOTD Sunday 26th January 5.00 Wolves - Botanist win 8/1 bet365 Hoping last two runs have just been down to surface at southwell and due to lay off and switches back to polytrack today. Had decent enough form for Stoute earning a rating of 87 as a 2yo but hasn't won since , has win and placed form around a mile so does stay this far , trips have varied from middle distances to sprints. Racing off only 43 and has places off higher marks recently so hoping with the yard in good form can get off the mark. Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Re: BBOTD Sunday 26th January 14.35 Leopardstown- Hurricane Fly @ 4/6 >Betfred I couldn't imagine a better banker than "The Fly", the Grade 1 winning world record holder. I absolutely adore this horse, my favourite over the jumps, no doubt. Great renewal of the Irish Champion Hurdle this and the re-match of HF v Jezki v Our Conor. While these two rivals will surly improve for their last run so will Hurricane Fly. He seems to be as good as ever and his turn of foot is still electric. Jezki seemed unlucky in the Ryanair over Christmas but would he have won with a clear run? I highly doubt it. Our Conor is an excellent horse and will come on for his recent run, the first one over hurdles for a while, but I doubt that he has the speed over 2m to beat Hurricane. The race tomorrow will be run on the inner track and that should in theory play the HF into his hands. So if not something unusual happens tomorrow, he'll be the winner. End of story.

Re: BBOTD Sunday 26th January 15.30 Wolverhampton - Perivale - Win @ 10\1 Bet365 Stepped up in distance after been dropped by the handicapper 5lb after latest run and runs off an OR 48 in this class 6 handicap. Not shown any great form but hints in the past that is capable of running to a better mark than currently been allocated. Maybe a horse that needs to run over longer trips. Sired by Street Cry who has a decent record with All-weather runners and Perivale looks to have staminia in breeding from both sire and dam.

Re: BBOTD Sunday 26th January 2:55 Wolv - Trinityelitedotcom The 4yo has been extremely consistent since the end of August '13, never registering below 2nd, which has spanned seven races. This period has seen a 26lb rise in the weights but he has tackled and won in class 3 company and has previously beaten a number of runners in this field. He last won 8 days ago at Lingfield and looked very strong in running, leading virtually from the start. This is Tom Dascombe's only runner of the day and statistically he is the trainer with the best track record who has a vested interest in this race. 11/4 william hill

Re: BBOTD Sunday 26th January 4.00 Wolves - Dunhoy 1pt win @ 8/1 PaddyPower This horse has been off the track since July last year so may need the run but if he comes here fit, then he would have a chance here. He has never won off a mark this high but is only 1 lb higher than his highest all weather win. He was in fine form when last seen on turf winning once, finishing 2nd and then running poorly at Sandown. I don't think this trip will be a problem for him although I expect him to be doing his best work late on. A good pace would probably help him and he might just get that with the Johnston horse in opposition. Graham Lee takes the ride for Tony Newcombe and I am hopeful this one can get involved.

Re: BBOTD Sunday 26th January 110 Sedgefield: Oscar Tanner 3/1 Stan James/Boyles Not sure this will go ahead with the forecast but at least its the first race. Nice novice hurdle with two or three horses with similar form and the Pipe horse making the trip up for his debut. Obviously Great Choice has to be respected but i reckon if it was one of the yards better novices he would be odds on so i'll take a chance and oppose him today. Getabuzz is going the right way and won well last time but struggled off 106 before that so he may just need to find a few pounds with my selection Oscar Tanner who was second to Calculated Risk off 116. Warren Greatrex brings a bus load up from the south and Masquerade is worth a second look, he was a lucky winner at Bangor but was still running a nice race regardless but now has the penalty and i'm not sure he up to defying it here. Of the rags, Our Boy Ben and the Smith horse Maxed Out King could nick a place but don't look good enough overall. Oscar Tanner has yet to face heavy ground so thats a slight worry and if he can get his jumping right today he looks the one to beat.

Re: BBOTD Sunday 26th January Non Runner my first one BH.. Leopardstown 3:10 I think Gilt Shadow has what it takes to win this race today as he is down in grade for the in form Stuart Crawford yard. He prefers a bit of cut in the ground and that might explain the poor run in a Grade 1 last time out, which was a race he went off a well fancied 9/2 shot. He won a maiden hurdle at Down Royal by 9 lengths back in November and created a very good impression. If you look back there is a hugely interesting piece of form where he finished 2nd to The Liquidator and the Pipe horse went on to win a Grade 2 by 15 lengths soon after. The 3rd that day Apache Stronghold of the Noel Meade yard went on to win a Grade 2 in easy fashion. I think Gilt Shadow will enjoy the step up in trip and should be hard to beat. Gilt Shadow WIN @ 4/1 Bet365

Re: BBOTD Sunday 26th January 4.30 Wolverhampton Medam is the obvious favourite again having won last time out, that form doesn’t look the strongest and infact has to run off an 8lb higher mark today under a penalty and a handicap rise. That would require a career best effort. Auntie Mildred won a seller in the summer but has failed to progress on in handicaps and has something to prove stepping up in trip. Classy Trick remains a maiden but has been well backed this morning, he is an obvious pace angle having front run over shorter trips, a drop in trip will need to bring about some improvement and showed nothing over this trip in maidens so question marks at a short enough price. Poker Hospital has run well fresh in the past but 410 days might be a little too extreme. He could also be well handicapped having placed off marks in the low 70’s now running off 47, but wasn’t showing much when last seen so a lengthy break needs to bring about improvement. Vale Of Clara is of some interest based on his penultimate start when she was held up and was seen to be unlucky in the run and finish well. Ridden more prominently last time out and not so effective, highly rated when came to these shores but has flopped since but any sort of return to form she could be well handicapped. Partners Gold is still a maiden but has been running respectably recently in blinkers but needs to find more from somewhere. Satwa Laird is well handicapped but is of no interest whatsoever whilst under this jockey. My vote goes to Ryan Style from the Lisa Williamson yard who finally had a winner this week having gone over a year without a winner, the yard are full of well handicapped sorts if they can get them going again. Ryan Style has threatened on a number of occasions recently he is capable of striking again for all he isn’t straight forward. His last win came off 76 and now running off 50, Kirby a strong booking and would be no surprise to see him run a big race! 1pt win Ryan Style 11/2 VC

Re: BBOTD Sunday 26th January Nr at Sedgy 235 Leopardstown: Our Conor 4/1 bet365 Whichever way you look at this i cant help think that 4/1 about Our Conor is pretty good value. Of the three when they raced last time he should be the one that can improve and didn't do too badly anyway on bare form. I think the Fly had the run of the race and got first run which was so crucial, Jezki got caught out and he would prefer better ground and i said from the beginning of the year that i would be opposing Hurricane Fly this year with so many good youngsters on the way up. I have to give Our Conor a chance to show he's the real deal and the price is worth a nibble.

Re: BBOTD Sunday 26th January 2.55pm @ Wolves 'Burren View Lady' 4/1 (Coral) I think 4s is a great price for a horse that beat Angels Persuit and Fat Gary last time out over course and distance. I'm not a big fan of following this stable as their horses can oft run very up and down form wise but this one looks to have a good chance of a repeat today. 1 point win

Re: BBOTD Sunday 26th January

Nr at Sedgy 235 Leopardstown: Our Conor 4/1 bet365 Whichever way you look at this i cant help think that 4/1 about Our Conor is pretty good value. Of the three when they raced last time he should be the one that can improve and didn't do too badly anyway on bare form. I think the Fly had the run of the race and got first run which was so crucial, Jezki got caught out and he would prefer better ground and i said from the beginning of the year that i would be opposing Hurricane Fly this year with so many good youngsters on the way up. I have to give Our Conor a chance to show he's the real deal and the price is worth a nibble.
Going with you on Our Connor today, really impressed me at Cheltenham last year & should be fitter from last run. 4/1 is decent, but will also try & get a higher price in-running & have a saver on Jezki/McCoy (who should get a luckier run today & so be closer).. I don't think any horse is undefeatable*, seeing what happened to Big Bucks yesterday, especially with a brusied foot..! *Except for Frankel!!

Re: BBOTD Sunday 26th January 3.30 Wolv - Blazing desert - EW at 9/1 bog betvictor Bit of an old timer who's come back with a couple of encouraging ryns this month in slightly better races. Today's race is poor even by class 6 standards CD winner and was winning off a 9lb higher mark just 10 months ago As an old horse he might need a couple of runs nowadays to blow the cobwebs away and has a good chance if he improves again from his last run I have 'no single figure odds' rule for EW but it was 10/1 when I decided on it and has now gone to 8/1 so I'm relaxing my rule and letting it ride......:unsure

2.45 Sedgefield - Tahiti Pearl win @ 7/2 Bet365 Tahiti Pearl has been knocking on the door recently being placed 2nd in each of its last 4 races and I feel that this race is a good opportunity for it to finally get its head in front. It likes it here as it has won four races (One over C&D) and has been placed on one other occasion giving course form figures of 11112. The conditions are also fine as it has won on ground ranging from Good to Heavy so the potentially Heavy ground will be handled well. The trainer/Jockey combination of Sue Smith and Ryan Mania have been doing well enough decently and were unlucky to lose in the Novice Hurdle at Cheltenham on Saturday. I think the other four all have their chances, especially the top 3 who have all been in better races in the past.
Nice winner! :ok Shame about Our Conner in the other race, came closer this time, but not close enough..!

Re: BBOTD Sunday 26th January 17:00 Wolv Botanist - Shaun Harris the is 4/7 over the past fortnight is bringing Medam 4:30 and Botanist in the 17:00. Botanist is a distance winner who hasn't taken to Southwell last couple of runs and not far enough over 6F before that. With that comes a tumbling mark down to all time low of 45 and with yard in form worth a EW shot. 0.5EW 8/1 Bet365

1330 leopardstown 1pt win felix yonger 9/4 pp 8 year old gelding has won 3 out of 4 of his races, and he should have made it 4, but he was given a little too much to do at the finish,should be different today, i would expect ruby to be close to the pace throughout and be ready to pounce close to home,be interesting to see what ap does with his mount, as tactics will make this a very good race
bloomin typical, ruby gets a treble, but not mine!!!!!

Our Conor had every chance, Hurricane Fly is obviously not done with just yet, fair play to him although i would like to see an Irish trial race run a true pace, just once. :clap to the Fly
What a champ! Just pulled out more when everyone thought Our Conor has it on his mercy jumping the last. Tremendous. Thrilling as this sport can get and fantastic atmosphere at Leopardstown today. However I feel it could be the other way round at Cheltenham, when the pace is furious and the Cheltenham hill might play more towards the strengths of Our Conor.