** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Europa League 2013/14 outright

This competition is notoriously difficult to win compounded by the addition of champions league failures. The winner usually is one of these champions league rejects. Swansea are an interesting addition this year and their passing style should be suited to european competition. Their classy despatch of malmo gave a pointer to their chances of making a mark in this year's competition. The squad has some depth as shown by the number of changes made yesterday by Laudrup. Key to their hopes will be keeping michu and bony fit. I am going to suggest a highly speculative small interest in them. Most bookies have trimmed their odds recently and 100 was available up to a couple of days ago. 80 is still available with paddy power. Recommended Bet: 4pts e/w swansea at 80/1 ew 1/2 1,2 paddy power

• 4 months later...

Re: Europa League 2013/14 outright swansea are suffering at the moment with recent injuries notably to bony and michu but have a couple of months to regroup i was looking for a little value in the teamsleft in made more interesting with the champions league additions shakhtar look a possible very fast and impressive in the first half v man u taison and texeira look outstanding players 16 is available dnipro another ukranian team have the superb konoplyanka in their ranks plus 2 international forwards 70 looks interesting basel have shown their european pedigree in recent years and 50 is too big recommended bets dnipro at 70 (betfair) 66 with bet 365 basel at 50 with betfair (also 50 betvictor) hopefully these will be additional sporting plays in a fiendishly difficult competetition

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Europa League 2013/14 outright For me here Juventus to win EL is a good bet. I think Juventus can win this because the Final is now in there own Stadium. Okay EL in Italy not that Cup with high predictions but after all that big blows from Italian Teams in Europa, including Juventus this season in CL it´s time that Italy "must" take a title. And why not the EL!? Juventus have got an easy round now against Trabzonspor. Next Round will be Fiorentina or Esbjerg. Booth can Juventus beat, specialy Fiorentina, because i think there big Focus is to qualify for CL, so big Focus here on the League. Juventus with now "big" lead in Serie A and maybe they can focus more on EL, if they can hold that big lead in the Serie A. Juventus to win @ 5.50 2/10 bwin

• 1 month later...

Re: Europa League 2013/14 outright I've just been having a look at the last 32 teams going into the 'Round of 32' first legs this Thursday 20th February. Ajax Anzhi AZ Basel Benfica Betis Chorno Odessa Dnipro Dynamo Kiev Esbjerg Fiorentina Frankfurt Genk Juventus Lazio Ludogorets Lyon Maccabi Tel Aviv Maribor Napoli PAOK Plzen Porto Rubin Salzburg Sevilla Shakhtar Slovan Liberec Swansea Tottenham Trabzon Valencia From what I've seen of European football, I think Juventus, Ajax or Benfica could win it (highlighted in red above). These are just teams that have impressed me this season. But there are sure to be other likely winners in this long list too. The favourites in the betting market are: Juventus 5.0 Tottenham 9.0 Napoli 11.0 Fiorentina 15.0 Shakhtar 16.0 Benfica 19.0 Porto 21.0 Sevilla 25.0 Lazio 26.0 Valencia 26.0 Ajax 31.0 Swansea 35.0 Salzburg 41.0 Basel 46.0 Rubin 51.0 Ajax are the longest odds of the three clubs I've mentioned at 31.0. Their opponents in the round of 32, Salzburg are in very good form and they could be a decent outside bet at 41.0 too. When looking at likely winners, I think it's worth noting previous winners. Winners in the last 10 years are: Valencia CSKA Moscow Sevilla Sevilla Zenit Shakkhtar Atletico Madrid Porto Atletico Madrid Chelsea So, 5 Spanish clubs, 2 Russian clubs, 1 Ukrainian, 1 Portuguese and 1 English. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UEFA_Cup_and_Europa_League_finals

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Europa League 2013/14 outright I'm very keen on Benfica, Valencia and Sevilla at the moment. Benfica are playing great football and have the squad to win the competition after coming ever so close last year. Spanish sides are always dangerous and Sevilla and Valencia have impressed me in big games recently which is needed in big cup competitions. I'm edging towards Benfica as they're a side I watch regularly and seem to be improving every month but I would like to hear some other thoughts on the Spanish sides in particular.

Re: Europa League 2013/14 outright My ''list'' at the moment looks a/ Juventus, b/ Benfica and c/ RB Salzburg. Valencia, Sevilla and Spurs are having far too many ups and downs to consider them seriously, Lyon will focus fully on the domestic league and rotate often here. Am I forgetting someone...Maybe Porto, but they have a mountain to climb in Frankfurt tomorrow. If the do, surely they will join this list...again.

Re: Europa League 2013/14 outright

My ''list'' at the moment looks a/ Juventus' date=' b/ Benfica and c/ RB Salzburg. Valencia, Sevilla and Spurs are having far too many ups and downs to consider them seriously, Lyon will focus fully on the domestic league and rotate often here. Am I forgetting someone...Maybe Porto, but they have a mountain to climb in Frankfurt tomorrow. If the do, surely they will join this list...again.[/quote'] Porto are another side I watch a lot and have been poor this season. They're going to have to improve massively to have any chance of winning this competition and they aren't showing any signs of that at the moment.

Re: Europa League 2013/14 outright I watched a lot of Rubin Kazan v Real Betis today. Real Betis won 2-0 (although most people were predicting a win for Rubin, who are traditionally strong at home). I was struck by how superior Real Betis were and how skilful and determined they were for a supposedly poor side who are right at the bottom of the Spanish league. Perhaps they could be a good outside bet? They are Spanish after all, and Spanish teams tend to do well in this competition.

I watched a lot of Rubin Kazan v Real Betis today. Real Betis won 2-0 (although most people were predicting a win for Rubin' date=' who are traditionally strong at home). I was struck by how superior Real Betis were and how skilful and determined they were for a supposedly poor side who are right at the bottom of the Spanish league. Perhaps they could be a good outside bet? They are Spanish after all, and Spanish teams tend to do well in this competition.[/quote'] Pure gamble IMO, no bad feelings, MP, from what stays on I can see Betis having a chance possibly only against Anzhi, so I wouldn't risk my money even for laying purposes... We have superpowers in Europe like Juventus, Benfica, Porto, Lyon, Sevilla, who even going through a bad spell at some point know what and how to do in European Cups, and most of them have plenty of those. We have Napoli as a very strong Italian team, maybe a bit out of focus here, but whoever they play with an A Team is in danger. And then you have ''rising stars'' with absolute focus here and enough quality to surprise almost everyone from the list above - Salzburg, Basel, Ludogorets, and them I see as best choice for further lay as each one of them can possibly pass at least one more round with a lucky draw for the next pairs... As far as I am concerned the Cup ''belongs'' to Juve, no team has their potential here at the moment.

Re: Europa League 2013/14 outright Last 16 - Latest odds Friday Feb 28th Juventus 3.75 Tottenham 8.5 Napoli 9.5 Salzburg 11 Benfica 13 Fiorentina 15 Valencia 17 Sevilla 21 Porto 21 Basel 34 Lyon 41 Betis 41 AZ 50 Ludogorets 51 Plzen 67 Anzhi 101 Source: oddschecker

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For me here Juventus to win EL is a good bet. I think Juventus can win this because the Final is now in there own Stadium. Okay EL in Italy not that Cup with high predictions but after all that big blows from Italian Teams in Europa, including Juventus this season in CL it´s time that Italy "must" take a title. And why not the EL!? Juventus have got an easy round now against Trabzonspor. Next Round will be Fiorentina or Esbjerg. Booth can Juventus beat, specialy Fiorentina, because i think there big Focus is to qualify for CL, so big Focus here on the League. Juventus with now "big" lead in Serie A and maybe they can focus more on EL, if they can hold that big lead in the Serie A. Juventus to win @ 5.50 2/10 bwin
Failed :sad

Re: Europa League 2013/14 outright Made a shortlist of Valencia, Sevilla and Benfica in February and all three reached the semi finals but I decided to go with Benfica of course. :wall Enjoyed the tournament though and well done to anyone who picked out any winners. :ok